About the Kenwood DPX303
Upgrade your run-of-the-mill factory radio with Kenwood's double-sized DPX303 CD receiver, and enjoy easy operation, versatility, and high performance all in one great-looking stereo.
The large multi-line display puts song information front and center, so it's easy to get to your favorite songs. Add-on options include Kenwood's iPod® adapter, HD Radio tuner, and Bluetooth® adapter, and you'll find a conveniently located front-panel auxiliary input for plug-and-play satellite radios or other music players. If you like putting together your own mixes, the DPX303 will play MP3, WMA, and AAC files on disc, as well as your store-bought CDs.
Contour the clean sound of the powerful onboard amplifier with seven preset tone curves for quick adjustments, plus bass, treble, and midrange controls for hands-on customization. Kenwood's Supreme audio processing perks up your digital music files, so they'll sound their best. The remote control allows your passengers to run the show from the back seat.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
- CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- fits double-sized dash openings
- large multi-line display with blue button illumination
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files (will not play Digital Rights-protected music files on disc)
- remote control
- System Q Sound Control with 7 EQ curves and a 3-band equalizer
- "Supreme" audio processing for better sound from your compressed music files
- speaker settings that allow you to tailor the sound to the size and type of speakers in your car
- high-pass filter (speaker and preamp outs); low-pass filter (rear preamp outputs only)
- compatible with Kenwood iPod and Bluetooth adapters, CD changers, satellite radios, and HD Radio tuner
- inputs: front auxiliary input, optional rear aux in
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (front, rear/sub)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver with 10A fuse inserted in chassis
- Trim ring
- Trim plate
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RC-547)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 2 Removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- 4 Strips of double-sided adhesive
- Instruction Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood DPX303 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood DPX303
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
2-DIN Chassis: The DPX303 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Multi-Line LCD Display: The Kenwood DPX303 features a large multi-line LCD full-dot display. The headunit's display offers the following features.
- Display Type: Type A (text/icon display), Type B (text/icon/status display), Type C (text/source/clock display), Type D (spectrum analyzer display)
- Illumination Effect: Sets whether the illumination color is changed in conjunction with the unit's key operation.
- Illumination Music Sync: Sets whether the key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the unit's sound volume.
- Display Illumination Control: When this function is active, the display turns off after 5 seconds if no operation is performed. This reduces the glare during night driving.
- Contrast: The display's contrast can be adjusted between 1 and 10.
- Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Station/Disc Naming: The unit allows you to attach an 8-character title to a radio station or a CD. The unit can memorize up to 30 FM/AM station names and 10 CD names.
Text/Title Scroll: The DPX303 will display CD text, Audio file text, RDS information and Satellite and HD radio text. You can turn the scrolling feature "on" to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Security Code: You can enter a 4-digit security code which must be used when the unit is removed from the vehicle, or the constant power source is disconnected from the unit. When constant power is restored to the unit, the security code must be entered before the unit becomes operational. The security code may be disabled if desired.
Supreme Setting: When MP3 or WMA files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Built-in Amp Switch: If the audio signals are output to external amplifiers, you can turn off the internal amplifier to improve audio quality.
Audio Setup: The DPX303 offers the following Audio Setup functions:
- System Q: 7 EQ curves (Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game) are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (10kHz). The headunit also has a User setting that can be set to your personal taste between -8 and +8 for bass, midrange and treble.
- Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of "SP Off" (flat), "SP OEM" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "SP 6x9/6" (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or "SP 5/4" (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
- Front and Rear High-Pass Filter: The DPX303 features an independent High-Pass Crossover for the front and rear channels (Hi-level/Low-level). You can adjust the high-pass crossover from Through, 40,60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180 or 220Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. This feature is very helpful when you have smaller-type speakers in the front and larger-type speakers installed in the rear of the vehicle.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, FM, AM, Satellite, and CD changer).
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for low and high tones during low volume. You can turn this feature either on or off. Only the low tone is compensated for when the tuner is selected as a source.
Switchable Rear/Subwoofer Preouts: In addition to the front channel preamp outputs, you can switch the unit's rear RCA preamp outputs to a non-fading subwoofer output with independent volume control (-15 to +15), phase control (Normal/Reverse), and selectable crossover (50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or Through).
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 for all sources other than the AUX input which you can set from -8 to +8.
Tel Mute: The DPX303 features a cell-phone mute wire (brown) in its harness that when hooked up to your car's phone system mute wire will automatically mute the receiver's audio signal when a call comes in.
Beep Tone: The CD player features a touch sensor tone that beeps when you have selected a function of the unit. You can turn the beep tone ON or Off.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner for clear radio reception. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains. The CRSC circuit can be turned on or off.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. The tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
Receive Mode: If you choose to connect the optional HD tuner, the Receive Mode allows you to choose to receive analog or digital AM/FM broadcasts. You can choose from the following.
- Auto: analog and digital broadcast will be received with the digital broadcast having priority
- Digital: receives digital broadcasts only
- Analog: receives analog broadcasts only
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio tuner to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the CNP-KEN1 Kenwood adapter cable (package item number 700XMKEN2).
- Sirius: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (package # 700SIRKENW, sold separately); or you can connect the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (package # 700SIRPKEN, sold separately), along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (113HR300, sold separately), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
Satellite + HD Radio Note: You will need the Kenwood KCA-S220A Dual-Source Switching Unit (113KCAS220, sold separately) to connect both a Satellite Radio Tuner and HD Radio Tuner to this headunit.
AAC/MP3/WMA Playback: The receiver can play AAC, MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. The headunit supports MP3 audio files with transfer bit rates of 8-320 kbps, WMA audio files with transfer bit rates of 48-192 kbps, and AAC audio files with transfer bit rates of 8-320 kbps. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder (512 maximum number of files and folders). During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag, WMA Tag, and iTunes m4a Meta-data information. The maximum number of characters for display is 30 characters for ID3 Tag, WMA Tag, and AAC song information. A maximum of 64 characters can be displayed for File/Folder name.
CD Force: When there is a problem with playing a CD with a special format, this setting plays the CD by force. Some CDs still may not play in the CD Force mode.
Off Eject: The DPX303 allows you to eject your disc for 10 minutes after switching off the vehicles engine.
AUX Input: The DPX303 is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm mini-jack auxiliary input for connecting external portable audio devices such as an MP3 player or Tape walkman. The DPX303 allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Optional iPod Adapter: This receiver is compatible with the optional Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod control interface (113IP500, sold separately). When an iPod is connected to the interface, all of the iPod's controls will be disabled and it will be controlled from the receiver. With this interface, you'll be able to play your iPod music files through your Kenwood receiver and in most cases have all the titling information appear on the receiver's display. The Kenwood DPX303 and the KCA-iP500 are "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of June. 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Info||Track Info|
Note: When you initially connect the iPhone to this device the iPhone will display an error message. Press "No" on the iPhone's display and the unit will begin working. This adapter will not charge the iPod nano (4th/5th generation), iPod touch (2nd/3rd generation), and iPhone (3G/3GS/4) without the use of the 142IFWA (sold separately). Apple software updates may change functionality results. Not compatible with iOS 4.0 for iPhone or iPod touch.
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT300 Bluetooth adapter (113BT300, sold separately). Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the headunit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT300 adapter.
Note: Visit Kenwood's web site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Remote Control: The DPX303 comes with the RC-547 wireless remote control with a full numeric keypad. The remote includes volume control for the rear channels when the unit is operating in the Dual Zone mode. It is powered by 2 "AA" batteries (supplied). The dimensions of the remote are: L = 5.365", W = 1.965", D = 1.205".
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.