About the Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT
An Excelon with Alexa
An Excelon with Alexa
The Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT digital media receiver is all about accessing and controlling your favorite media. And this Kenwood makes it easy, with a big multi-function knob and three-line, variable-color display. Built-in Bluetooth® lets you stream music or enjoy hands-free calling without having to plug in your smartphone. And you'll have AM/FM radio and access to your digital music collection loaded on a flash drive, plus the option of adding SiriusXM satellite radio. Best of all, you can use built-in Amazon Alexa to use voice commands to play and control your music while you keep your eyes on the road. And Kenwood backs up this receiver with a 2-year warranty.
Built-in Amazon Alexa
Load the Alexa app onto your phone and pair your phone to this Kenwood receiver. Then, simply press the dedicated "Alexa" button on the faceplate, and you can access music, audiobooks, news, weather, traffic, and smart home controls using your voice.
Get to your tunes quickly with simple controls from the front panel buttons, by activating Alexa voice control, or by using Kenwood's Remote app on your phone.
Bluetooth for wireless convenience
Bluetooth is the norm for wireless phone functionality these days. The DPX395MBT lets you pair two Bluetooth-equipped phones and quickly switch between them for hands-free calling. You can wirelessly stream and control the playback functions of your favorite Internet radio service, including Spotify, TIDAL, and Qobuz. You can also stream stored music, audiobooks, and podcasts from the phone that's active. Kenwood also added a little fun to audio streaming with their Music Mix feature — pair five phones so everybody can pick their tunes for the ultimate road trip playlist. You can also control this stereo directly from your iPhone® or Android™ phone by downloading Kenwood's free Remote app.
Bring along your music
The DPX395MBT's front-panel USB port allows you to control select iPhone features using the receiver's controls. iPhone users can also access Apple Music® stations. The USB port can handle MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and WAV music files on a thumb drive, as well as high-res FLAC files to get that crisp detail from your tunes. Or you can plug a portable audio player into the front aux input to play more tunes from your mobile device.
More radio options
Add a SiriusXM tuner to enjoy the impressive selection of sports, talk, news, and commercial-free music offered on satellite radio. No matter where your travels take you, you'll hear great programming in crystal-clear clarity from coast to coast. And when you want to tune into local stations, this receiver's sensitive AM/FM tuner pulls them in like a pro.
Expand and refine your system
Once you've picked your source on the DPX395MBT, you can use Kenwood's deep sound-sculpting tools to tune your sound to your tastes. A 13-band equalizer lets you tweak the fine details, or simply select your favorite curve from the EQ presets. Digital time alignment ensures you're center stage, no matter which seat you're in. You can also use the three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs to send a super-clean signal to additional amplifiers to power high-quality speakers and subwoofers. You can even adjust the output level and low-pass filter for the sub directly from the receiver, giving you total control over the bass thump.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.Smartphone note: If you're going to use your smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner
- high-contrast 3-line display with 2-zone variable-color illumination
- built-in Amazon Alexa
- plays USB drives with MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, and FLAC files, plus high-res FLAC files
- Bluetooth with dual phone connection for hands-free calls and music streaming
- supports Kenwood Remote app
- Apple Music control (iPhone only)
- built-in iPod and iPhone control
- 13-band equalizer and digital time alignment
- high- and low-pass crossovers
- Drive EQ to compensate for road noise
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included)
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, sub)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DPX395MBT
What's in the box:
Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT owner's manual
- Digital media receiver (10A fuse)
- Mounting sleeve (installed)
- 2 Trim-rings
- Wiring harness
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- 6 Pan-head screws (M5x8mm)
- 6 Flat-head screws (M5x8mm)
- 2 Removal tools
- Quick Start Gude
- Warranty Card
- Software License Agreement
Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||1.5A|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||Y|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 2.0|
|Touch||6Gen and newer|
|iPhone||5S and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,WAV,FLAC|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (96kHz)|
Alexa & iPhone Integration
Audio & EQ Section
Display & Remote Features
Alexa & iPhone Integration
Amazon Alexa Compatible: The Kenwood DPX395MBT features built-in Alexa with voice control. Alexa is a cloud-based voice control digital assistant developed by Amazon. You can ask Alexa to play music get weather reports, traffic information, control smart home devices, set reminders, and more. You'll need to install the Amazon Alexa app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+) on your compatible smartphone device to setup the Kenwood receiver for voice control. Your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone will need to be connected via Bluetooth (not USB) to the Kenwood receiver and have an active data plan from your service provider with internet connection. You'll simply press The "Amazon Alexa" key on the Kenwood head unit to activate Alexa voice control and speak into the included external microphone. The receiver will provide display feedback during Alexa voice control - "Listening" appears while you are saying your voice command, "Thinking" appears when Alexa is processing your voice command, and "Speaking" appears while Alexa is responding to your voice command. Alexa and your requested content or information will be heard over your vehicle's speakers. Here are a few things you can do with Amazon Alexa voice control -
- Music & Audiobooks: Using Amazon Alexa voice control your can select, play, and control your favorite music from Amazon Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, Spotify, and SiriusXM. You can also listen to audiobooks from Audible. *The Kenwood receiver does not support all of Amazon Alexa compatible music services.
- Phone Calls: Ask Alexa to call a contact or place of business. Access to your phone and contacts must be enabled within the Alexa app.
- Traffic & Parking Information: Ask Alexa for traffic information and available parking.
- Weather, News, & Sports: Check weather reports, news updates, and sport scores using Amazon Alexa and your voice.
- Smarthome Control: Use Amazon Alexa and your voice to control compatible smarthome devices, such as garage door openers and outdoor lighting.
- Questions & Answers: Amazon Alexa lets you ask questions about general things and check Wikipedia.
- Times & Alarms: Use your voice and Amazon Alexa, you can set timers and alarms.
- The Amazon Alexa App is required for setup. The Kenwood receiver is recognized as "Headphones" when adding a device in the Alexa app. Click here for a video of the Amazon Alexa setup. Click here for instructions of the Amazon Alexa setup.
- Alexa cannot be accessed by simply saying "Alexa" like on some home devices; the "Alexa" button must be pressed on the front of the unit to access Alexa voice control.
- The Kenwood does not guarantee compatibility with all Amazon Alexa features and may not support some functions.
- Amazon Alexa voice control does not control non-Alexa source, audio, and menu functions of the Kenwood receiver.
- If your Apple iOS or Android device loses Bluetooth or Internet connection, Alexa voice control will be terminated.
- Alexa is a source input of the receiver. If you switch to another source input, Alexa voice control will be terminated.
- Only one Apple iOS or Android device can be connected for Alexa voice control at a time.
iPhone Direct Connection: The Kenwood DPX395MBT's front-panel USB port can be used to connect select Lightning Apple iOS devices to the receiver. The USB connection allows for playback of stored music and music apps on your iPhone or iPod touch through the Kenwood receiver. Use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device or an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DPX395MBT.
- Head Unit Control: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, and Composer. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically or numerically; you can even skip through the stored music files in specific increments (0.5/1/5/10%). The DPX395MBT also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of stored music on your iPod/iPhone. In addition, you'll be able to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from stored music and select music apps streamed to your iPhone. You can also choose to control your compatible Apple iPhone or touch from its own touchscreen, instead of the head unit.
- Song/Artist Info Display: The DPX395MBT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album title.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected Apple iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/27/2022):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPhone||Kenwood Remote||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- This unit does not support the iPod Nano or older 30-pin Apple iPod and iPhone devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth 4.2: The Kenwood DPX395MBT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 4.2) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.7.1 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6.1 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DPX395MBT.
SSP & USB Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood DPX395MBT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
- Dual Phone Connection: Thanks to the Dual Phone Connection feature, two Bluetooth-enabled phones can remain connected to the Kenwood receiver. This means you can an answer an incoming call from either phone from the head unit. Also, both of your phone's contact lists are downloaded to the receiver. To make a call from one of the phones using the Kenwood receiver, you simply have to select Phone 1 or Phone 2 on the head unit's front-panel.
- Music Mix: The new Music Mix feature allows five Bluetooth audio source devices to be connected to the Kenwood receiver at one time, so you can switch between Bluetooth playback sources a lot easier and quicker. While "BT Audio" source is selected on the head unit, you can simply press the music playback button on your connected Bluetooth source devices to switch between devices and begin music playback. However, you cannot stream audio from two different Bluetooth audio source devices at the same time or combine music libraries or playlists from two different connected devices.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the DPX395MBT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's front-panel controls, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately or after 1-30 seconds. The DPX395MBT also supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
- Dialing a Number: Using the DPX395MBT, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Enter Phone #: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's control knob.
- Preset Dial: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's front-panel controls.
- Phone Book: You can download phone book data from your mobile phone to the DPX395MBT. You can then dial a contact within the phonebook from the head unit's front-panel controls. Contacts are categorized as Home, Office, Mobile, Other, or General.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood DPX395MBT supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood DPX395MBT for playback. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DPX395MBT offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the DPX395MBT offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the DPX395MBT lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. Advanced music browsing is supported by Android 4.0+ smartphones and Apple iPhones 5.0+ (specific advanced functions vary by phone).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Kenwood DPX395MBT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's Answer Button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DPX395MBT and its microphone. You even can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DPX395MBT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
External Mic: The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level, noise cancellation, and echo cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood DPX395MBT features a built-in AM/FM tuner with RDS. You can choose one of four tuning methods: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
- Presets: The DPX395MBT's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. Not only does the receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. The Kenwood DPX395MBT offers two preset modes.
- Normal: You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24).
- Mix: A total of 6 preset stations can be assigned to the head unit's 6 preset buttons, regardless of AM/FM band. This lets you recall a preset station without switching between bands.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood DPX395MBT is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: The Channel list displays a list of all available channels. You can also search and list channels in specific categories.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD.
- SmartFavorite Presets: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. These 18 SiriusXM presets are automatically identified as SmartFavorites for advanced features such as Replay, TuneStart & TuneScan (see below).
- Replay: When you select a SmartFavorite preset you can rewind and replay up to 30 minutes of any of the missed news, talk, sports or music content.
- TuneStart: With the TuneStart enabled, playback will automatically start from the beginning of a song when you tune to a SmartFavorite preset channel.
- TuneScan: TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels or currently tuned music channel.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Apple Music Radio (iPhone Only): You can also playback Apple Music Radio on your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone (iOS 12.4.1+) through the Kenwood head unit. With a WiFi or cellular connection on your iPhone, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations through the Kenwood receiver. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for almost any genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's front-panel controls to select between your Apple Music Radio stations. The unit's front-panel display will also indicate song/artist/album information (no album art).
Note: Access to Apple Music will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
USB Mass Storage Devices: The Kenwood DPX395MBT features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-out cover. The USB port enables connection of USB mass storage class (MSC) devices like USB thumbdrives, USB card readers, or portable digital audio players. You can insert a compatible USB MSC device into the head unit's USB port for playback, control, and song/artist display of a variety of music files.
- Music Drive: The Drive Change feature lets you switch between multiple memory cards (up to 4) in a USB multi-card reader. When a mass storage class (MSC) compatible portable digital audio player is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Drive Change features lets you select between the device's internal memory or external memory (such as a microSD card) for stored music playback.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Not compatible with Android OS devices and USB hubs.
Compatible Music Files: The Kenwood DPX395MBT supports the following types of music files loaded onto USB mass storage class devices.
|Media Type||USB (MSC)|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 24-bit w/ sampling frequency of 96kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 folders/20,480 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag, AAC tag, FLAC tag, WAV tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The Kenwood DPX395MBT offers a variety of playback and search functions to help you find and enjoy your music on USB.
- Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM digital media receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your music folders and files, as well as scroll through your music tracks using the head unit's rotary knob.
- Repeat & Random: You can repeat the playback of a music file or folder on a USB device. You can also randomly play back all files within a folder of a USB device.
- Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a USB is playing, the next time USB is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
Aux In: The unit is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input that can be used to input audio from a portable audio source, such as a portable MP3 player. The Aux input must be turned on to function.
Excelon Series: The DPX395MBT digital media receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage preouts (5V), plus a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DPX395MBT utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DPX395MBT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DPX395MBT are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6Ch/5V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The DPX395MBT is fitted with front, rear and subwoofer 5-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and features independent level control (-50 to +10).
Vehicle Settings: In order to optimize the sound quality in your vehicle, you can identify the type of vehicle you have, select speaker sizes & locations, as well as configure listening distances.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the delay time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Speaker Size: You can select which size speakers are in your vehicle - Tweeter (Small, Medium, Large, or None), Front & Rear (3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10" or None), and Sub (6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15" or Over, None).
- Rear Speaker Location: You can indicate the location of your vehicle's Rear speakers. Choose from Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row.
- DTA (Digital Time Alignment): For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: You are able to select independent high pass crossovers for your tweeters, front speakers, and rear speakers; as well as a low pass crossover for the head unit's sub output.
- Tweeter: Set high pass filter (HPF) for tweeters.
- Frequency: 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 5kHz, 6.3kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Front & Rear: Independently set high pass filter (HPF)
for front & rear speakers.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: Set low pass filter (LPF) for the sub output.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
Equalizer: The Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT offers 8 EQ Presets for easy adjustment, a 3-band Easy EQ, a 13-band Manual EQ for customized tuning, a Drive EQ mode to overcome road noise, and a Stage EQ for better imaging. Separate EQ settings and EQ presets can be stored for each source or you can apply one EQ preset or curve to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Drive EQ, or User) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- Easy EQ: The Easy EQ allows you to manually adjust the receiver Bass, Midrange, and Treble from 9dB to +9dB.
- 13-Band EQ: The 13-Band EQ consists of 62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz frequencies that can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB. The Q-factor of each frequency can also be adjusted to 1.35, 1.5, or 2.0
- Drive EQ: The Drive EQ mode helps you hear your music over road noise. It boosts certain frequency ranges that become hard to hear due to road noise.
- Stage EQ: Stage EQ virtually lifts the sound up to ear-level for better imaging inside your vehicle.
Audio Settings: The Kenwood DPX395MBT offers a variety of audio settings to further enhance your music listening experience.
- Sound Reconstruction: When MP3, WMA, AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Sound Reconstruction function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When Sound Reconstruction is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Sound Realizer: The Spacer Enhancer widens the soundstage inside your vehicle, while the Sound Realizer makes your music sound more realistic.
- Loudness, Bass Boost & Bass Extension: The Loudness feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies at any volume level. There is also a Bass Extension feature which further enhances the unit's bass output at extremely low frequencies around 62.5Hz.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to +6.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Display & Remote Features
3-Line Display: The DPX395MBT is equipped with a 3-line LCD screen which lets you view the clock, source, and song/artist info all at the same time. You can select between English or Spanish text.
- Text Scroll: The DPX395MBT will display song/artist information text from USB, Bluetooth, and iPhone. You can set the text scrolling feature to three different modes (Auto, Once, or Off) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
- 12Hr/24Hr Clock: The head unit can be set to display a 12hr or 24hr clock. The unit also displays the day (Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, or Sat). The clock is only displayed when selected and does not display simultaneously with song/artist or station information. The day & time can be selected to remain on, even if the head unit is switched off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the "accessory" or "on" position).
- Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off within the menu.
Variable Color Illumination: The Kenwood DPX395MBT features variable color display and button illumination. You can choose from one of 24 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 24 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (RGB; 0-9). The custom setting allows you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue (from 0-9) to better match your vehicle's interior lights. The same color setting is applied to both the display and buttons, or you can choose a different color for Zone 1 and Zone 2 (see owner's manual illustration). The Kenwood logo remains red.
Brightness & Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the LCD and button illumination independently or together (from 0-31). You can also dim (on or off) the display and button illumination. You can even set a specific time for the "Off" and "On" dimmer setting to be activated.
Kenwood Remote App (for iOS & Android): The Kenwood Remote App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) lets you wirelessly control the Kenwood receiver from your compatible Apple iOS device (via Bluetooth or USB) or Android device (via Bluetooth only). The Kenwood Remote App provides traditional touchscreen control, as well as directional and freeform gesture control from your compatible mobile device.
- Source Information & Control: The Kenwood Remote App provides a Source Control screen with a list of the receiver's built-in sources and connected sources to choose from, so you can change the head unit's source from your mobile device. Once an input is selected, the app displays source information such as station number, track number & playback time, as well as song/artist information (when applicable). From the app, you can also seek stations and tracks, as well as Play and Pause your music.
- Audio Settings: From the application on your mobile device, you can adjust the receiver's volume up or down. In addition, audio settings such as EQ, Crossover, DTA, and other audio adjustments can be easily set using the Kenwood Remote application.
- Media Player: The application's Media Player screen lets you playback your device's stored music library through the Kenwood receiver. From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random. The Android version of the app even lets you browse your music library by category (Song/Album/Artist/Playlist/Mood). Song, artist, and album information (along with Album Art) will displayed on your Apple iOS or Android device's touchscreen.
- App Launcher (Android only): The App Launcher feature of the Android version of the Kenwood Remote app lets you access 3rd party applications within the Kenwood Remote app's user interface. The App Launcher can contain up to 24 of your favorite apps for quick access.
- You will need to indicate within the head unit's menu what type of device (Apple iOS or Android) you'll be using the Kenwood Remote App on before the application will connect and function with the receiver.
- When using the Kenwood Remote App with your compatible Apple iOS device, the application and device must be connected to the receiver via Bluetooth (not USB) for playback of Bluetooth audio. For playback of a USB-direct connection from an Apple iOS device, the device and application must be connected to the head unit via USB (not Bluetooth).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter (vehicle specific and sold separately).
The Kenwood Excelon DPX395MBT replaces these items
- built-in Amazon Alexa
- plays USB drives with MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC files
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included)
5 questions already asked
This stereo was a perfect selection. The pre-wired connections made it very simple. And the support was an excellent service. Which was needed to correctly connect the stereo to the amplifier. We are very happy with this stereo and the service. Now looking at replacing another car stereo.
Christopher from Raleigh, NC