About the Kenwood DPX503
Replace your bland factory stereo with this double-sized Kenwood DPX503 CD receiver, and enjoy the performance and versatility that go along with its stylish looks. The sleek DPX503 puts all the information you want front and center on its large multi-line display, and you can even choose from ten illumination colors to match your dash lighting.
Versatile entertainment center
Connect your satellite radio, flash drive, or MP3 player to the conveniently located front-panel USB and auxiliary inputs. Or play your iPod® by connecting it to the receiver's USB input. If you prefer your music on shiny discs, the DPX503 will play MP3, WMA, and AAC files on disc, as well as your store-bought CDs. Add-on options include Kenwood's HD Radio® tuner and Bluetooth® adapter.
Fine tune your audio
Contour the clean sound of the powerful onboard amplifier with seven preset tone curves for quick adjustments, plus bass, treble, and midrange controls for hands-on customization. Special controls let you tailor the sound to match your car's cabin, speaker setup, and your favorite listening position. Dual-zone capability allows the kids to listen to a CD over the rear speakers, while you listen to your iPod or other source up front.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
iPod note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- fits double-sized dash openings
- large multi-line display with selectable button, knob, and display illumination (10 colors)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files (will not play Digital Rights-protected music files on disc)
- remote control
- System Q Sound Control with 7 EQ curves and a 3-band equalizer
- "Supreme" audio processing for better sound from your compressed music files
- speaker settings that allow you to tailor the sound to the size and type of speakers in your car
- digital time alignment
- high-pass filter (speaker and preamp outs); low-pass filter (sub preamp outputs only)
- dual zone capability so you can listen to different sources over the front and rear speakers
- iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional connection cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with Kenwood Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, and HD Radio tuner
- inputs: front auxiliary and USB inputs, optional rear aux input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (front, rear/sub)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Double-DIN AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver with 10A fuse inserted in chassis
- Trim ring
- Trim plate
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RC-547)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 2 Removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- 4 Strips of double-sided adhesive
- Kenwood Music Editor CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood DPX503 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood DPX503
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||VariableColor|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback|
2-DIN Chassis: The DPX503 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Multi-Line LCD Display: The Kenwood DPX503 features a large multi-line LCD full-dot display with full-spectrum variable illumination. The headunit's display offers the following features.
- Display Type: Type A (text/icon display), Type B (text/icon/status display), Type C (text/source/clock display), Type D (spectrum analyzer display)
- Illumination Color: You can select from ten color variations for the headunit's display, button illumination and control knobs. You can set the headunit's display, button illumination and control knobs to the same color or different colors. The headunit can also automatically rotate between all ten color variations.
- Illumination Effect: Sets whether the illumination color is changed in conjunction with the unit's key operation.
- Illumination Music Sync: Sets whether the key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the unit's sound volume.
- Contrast: The display's contrast can be adjusted between 1 and 10.
- Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player.
- Display Illumination Control: When this function is active, the display turns off after 5 seconds if no operation is performed. This reduces the glare during night driving.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Station/Disc Naming: The unit allows you to attach an 8-character title to a radio station or a CD. The unit can memorize up to 30 FM/AM station names and 10 CD names.
Text/Title Scroll: The DPX503 will display CD text, Audio file text, RDS information and Satellite and HD radio text. You can turn the scrolling feature "on" to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Security Code: You can enter a 4-digit security code which must be used when the unit is removed from the vehicle, or the constant power source is disconnected from the unit. When constant power is restored to the unit, the security code must be entered before the unit becomes operational. The security code may be disabled if desired.
Supreme Setting: When MP3 or WMA files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Switchable Rear/Subwoofer Preouts: In addition to the front channel preamp outputs, you can switch the unit's rear RCA preamp outputs to a non-fading subwoofer output with independent volume control (-15 to +15), phase control (Normal/Reverse), and selectable crossover (50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or Through).
Built-in Amp Switch: If the audio signals are output to external amplifiers, you can turn off the internal amplifier to improve audio quality.
Audio Adjustments: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the Audio Adjustment Menu to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, distances, x-over points and listener position. The Audio Adjustment settings include the following:
- Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact (rear door), Compact (cargo), Full Size (rear door) Full Size (cargo) Station Wagon (rear door), Station Wagon (cargo), Sport-Utility (rear door), Sport-Utility (cargo), Mini Van Long (rear door), Mini Van (cargo).
- Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of "SP Off" (flat), "SP OEM" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "SP 6x9/6" (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or "SP 5/4" (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
- Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.
- X'Over: You can set
the crossover value for each pair of speakers and subwoofer.
- Front High Pass Filter: Select between Through, 40, 60, 80 ,100, 120, 150, 180, or 220 Hz.
- Rear High Pass Filter: Select between Through, 40, 60, 80 ,100, 120, 150, 180, or 220 Hz.
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Select between 50, 60, 80,100, or 120 Hz.
- Subwoofer Level: Select between -15 to +15
- Subwoofer Phase: Choose either Normal or Reverse
- Equalizer Control: 7 EQ curves (Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game) are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (10kHz). The headunit also has a User setting that can be set to your personal taste between -8 and +8 for bass, midrange and treble.
- Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 0.00 to 5.558 feet for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, Left Subwoofer and/or Right Subwoofer.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, FM, AM, Satellite, and CD changer).
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for low and high tones during low volume. You can turn this feature either on or off. Only the low tone is compensated for when the tuner is selected as a source.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 for all sources other than the AUX input which you can set from -8 to +8.
Dual Zone System: The DPX503's Dual Zone System allows you to output one source to the front channels and another source to the rear channels. The main source can be the internal disc player, tuner, or a source connected via the 13-pin CD changer input. The sub source is a device connected to the front-panel RCA auxiliary input. You can assign the sub source to either the front or rear channels. When the Dual Zone System is activated, the volume of the front channels is controlled by the volume knob, while the volume of the rear channels is controlled in the Audio Control menu from 0-35.
Tel Mute: The DPX503 features a cell-phone mute wire (brown) in its harness that when hooked up to your car's phone system mute wire will automatically mute the receiver's audio signal when a call comes in.
Beep Tone: The CD player features a touch sensor tone that beeps when you have selected a function of the unit. You can turn the beep tone ON or Off.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner for clear radio reception. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains. The CRSC circuit can be turned on or off.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. The tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
Radio Data System (RDS): The unit's tuner features RDS (Radio Data System). RDS is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name. RDS features an emergency transmission function that interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm). There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast, even when you're not listening to the radio.
Receive Mode: If you choose to connect the optional HD tuner, the Receive Mode allows you to choose to receive analog or digital AM/FM broadcasts. You can choose from the following.
- Auto: analog and digital broadcast will be received with the digital broadcast having priority
- Digital: receives digital broadcasts only
- Analog: receives analog broadcasts only
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio tuner to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the CNP-KEN1 Kenwood adapter cable (package item number 700XMKEN2).
- Sirius: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (package # 700SIRKENW, sold separately); or you can connect the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (package # 700SIRPKEN, sold separately), along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (113HR300, sold separately), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
Note: You cannot connect both a Satellite Radio Interface and HD Radio tuner to the headunit.
AAC/MP3/WMA Playback: The receiver can play AAC, MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. The headunit supports MP3 audio files with transfer bit rates of 8-320 kbps, WMA audio files with transfer bit rates of 48-192 kbps, and AAC audio files with transfer bit rates of 8-320 kbps. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder (512 maximum number of files and folders). During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag, WMA Tag, and iTunes m4a Meta-data information. The maximum number of characters for display is 30 characters for ID3 Tag, WMA Tag, and AAC song information. A maximum of 64 characters can be displayed for File/Folder name.
CD Force: When there is a problem with playing a CD with a special format, this setting plays the CD by force. Some CDs still may not play in the CD Force mode.
Off Eject: The DPX503 allows you to eject your disc for 10 minutes after switching off the vehicles engine.
AUX Input: The DPX503 is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm mini-jack auxiliary input for connecting external portable audio devices such as an MP3 player or Tape walkman. The DPX503 allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
USB Port: The front-panel USB port allows you to play USB mass storage devices loaded with AAC, MP3, and WMA files. The USB port enables connection to portable USB mass-storage players, USB thumb drives and audio control of MP3 players. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. The headunit supports MP3 audio files with transfer bit rates of 8-320 kbps, WMA audio files with transfer bit rates of 48-192 kbps, and AAC audio files with transfer bit rates of 8-320 kbps. The unit supports a maximum of 8 directory levels, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder (65,025 maximum number of files and folders). During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag, WMA Tag, and iTunes m4a Meta-data information. The maximum number of characters for display is 30 characters for ID3 Tag, WMA Tag, and AAC song information. A maximum of 64 characters can be displayed for File/Folder name. A single or multi-slot card reader can also be connected the USB port, allowing your music to be put neatly into different types of memory cards.
iPod Direct: The DPX503's front-panel USB port also acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the optional Kenwood USB Direct Connection Cable (113iP101, sold separately) or the USB/iPod cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the DPX503.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB.
- Audio Playback: The Kenwood headunit supports audio playback of music files and podcasts stored on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Navigation: When your iPod/iPhone is connected to the DPX503, you can operate your iPod/iPhone via the Kenwood headunit's controls (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). The Kenwood headunit will allow you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast.
- Information Display: The DPX503 will also display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood headunit.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the headunit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DPX503 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of Feb. 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Info||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available. Not compatible with iOS 4.0 for iPhone (3G/3GS) or iPod touch (2nd/3rd gen).
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT300 Bluetooth adapter (113BT300, sold separately). Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the headunit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT300 adapter.
Note: Visit Kenwood's web site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Remote Control: The DPX503 comes with the RC-547 wireless remote control with a full numeric keypad. The remote includes volume control for the rear channels when the unit is operating in the Dual Zone mode. It is powered by 2 "AA" batteries (supplied). The dimensions of the remote are: L = 5.365", W = 1.965", D = 1.205".
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Supplied Software: The DPX503 comes supplied with the Kenwood Music Editor Version 2.1.0 CD-ROM. Kenwood Music Editor is a desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer music files to your USB devices from your PC. Automatic Playlist Generation is another function of this software which analyzes each song based on the tempo/spectrum distribution and categorizes them into familiar genres such as POP, Rock, Ballad, etc.
- Operating System:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional/Microsoft Windows Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit version)
- Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit version)
- Note: Operation on Windows XP/Vista (64-bit version) is not guaranteed.
- Other Programs:
- Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
- QuickTime 7 or later (when using AAC file)
- Windows Media Player 10/11
- System requirements that above operating systems recommends.
- Had disk with a least 100MB free space
- CD-ROM drive (CD-R/RW drive when writing to CD-R/RW)
- USB interface (2.0/1.1)