About the Kenwood KDC-HD545U
Kenwood built the KDC-HD545U CD receiver to cover all the bases. Sure, you expect a CD player, but factor in built-in iPod® controls, an auxiliary input, and a cutting-edge HD Radio tuner, and you've got a powerful and complete package ready for your ride.
A multimedia marvel
With the KDC-HD545U's HD Radio tuner, you can enjoy the outstanding sound quality of digital radio broadcasts, with FM that approaches the sound quality of CDs. And if your local HD Radio station employs multicasting, you'll have the option of listening to multiple channels on the same frequency. When your iPod's connected to the receiver, iTunes® tagging lets you save song info, so you can purchase tracks you enjoy later on iTunes a nice bonus.
Connection and control of your iPod is a snap with this receiver. Plug into the front-panel USB input, and take command with a variety of tools, including dedicated Search and Return keys you'll find it easy to get to the tracks and playlists you want to hear.
You can play your store-bought and recordable CDs, including discs full of MP3, WMA and AAC files. If you'd like to expand your system, you can add a Kenwood CD changer or satellite radio, or use the front aux input for a direct audio connection from virtually any audio source.
The Mixed-Preset Memory feature gives you a useful one-touch shortcut to a favorite playlist, satellite radio channel, an HD Radio station, and more. Once the preset buttons are set to your choices, you'll be able to jump from station to playlist to feature with one touch of your finger.
The sound quality story
A strong built-in amp provides plenty of power to drive your speakers, while the 24-bit digital-to-analog converter brings out every last detail in your music. Use the 3-band equalizer to tweak the highs, mids, and lows for the perfect sound curve for your car.
If your aim is maximum sound quality, you'll appreciate the three sets of preamp outputs for connecting and controlling a full setup of external amps and subs.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in HD Radio tuner with iTunes tagging
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files
- detachable face with with 13-character fluorescent display
- remote control
- System Q Sound Control (6 EQ curves and a 3-band equalizer)
- Supreme Setting function restores high frequencies in music files
- low-pass subwoofer filter
- iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with Kenwood's Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, and CD changer
- inputs: front auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs ( 2-volt front, rear, and sub)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into the chassis
- Sleeve (attached)
- Face (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- RC-405 Wireless remote control (with CR2025 3V lithium-battery installed)
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Back support screw
- Black cloth face carrying pouch
- Instruction Manual (Eng/Spa/Fre)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood KDC-HD545U reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KDC-HD545U
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
Overview: The Kenwood KDC-HD545U AM/FM CD receiver features a detachable face, front-panel auxiliary and USB input, three pairs of 2.0-volt preamp outputs, built-in HD AM/FM radio and iPod operation, CD changer and Satellite radio controls, as well as MP3/WMA/AAC playback. The unit also supports Bluetooth via an optional adapter (sold separately). In addition, the CD player comes with an IR wireless remote control. The unit's amplifier is rated at 22 watts x 4 channel RMS and 50 watts x 4 channel peak.
Detachable Face: The unit features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft. The CD player comes supplied with a soft black fabric, draw string face case to protect the detachable face when you have it off the chassis.
Fluorescent Display: The Kenwood headunit features a 13-character white backlit fluorescent display with blue button illumination.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Display Dimmer: The display has two brightness settings to adjust the brightness of the display according to the surrounding illumination. You can change this setting within the menu from On or Off.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned "on" or "off" within the menu.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood KDC-HD545U is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KDC-HD545U are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
Rotary Volume Control: The CD receiver uses a 3-way rotary volume control that increases and decreases the volume of the stereo from 0 to 35. The rotary knob also controls other audio settings such as Balance, Fader, Bass, Mid, Treble and preset EQ settings. In addition, the rotary knob allows you to scroll through and select your music tracks when the Music Search function is activated.
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of "SP Off" (flat), "SP OEM" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "SP 6x9/6" (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or "SP 5/4" (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
System Q Sound Control: Six EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (10kHz). You can choose from the following preset EQ curves - Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural and Game.
Bass/Treble/Mid Control: The KDC-HD545U also features independent Bass, Treble and Midrange control. You can adjust each one from -8 to +8db. The bass frequency is adjusted at 100 Hz, the treble frequency is adjusted at 10 kHz and the midrange frequency is adjusted at 1 kHz.
Bass Boost: The Kenwood CD receiver also features a Bass Boost control that can be set to the following levels - LV11, LV2 or Off.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, Tuner, Aux, and USB).
3-Sets of Preamp Outputs: The KDC-HD545U features front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs are all fixed to the rear chassis of the headunit. The subwoofer preamp output offers the following controls:
- Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp-output when the output is set to Sub. You can select from 85Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz or Through (Off).
- Subwoofer Phase: You can also adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: Once you have switched the preamp output to "subwoofer" you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level from the CD receiver. You select levels between -15 to +15.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 (-8 to +8 for Aux source).
Tel Mute: The KDC-HD545U features a cell-phone mute wire (brown) in its harness that when hooked up to your car's phone system mute wire will automatically mute the receiver's audio signal when a call comes in.
Key Beep: The in-dash headunit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception.
Note: The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM reception as well.
Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles.
Multicasting: Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting.
iTunes Tagging: Using the headunit's iTunes Tagging enabled HD Radio, you can tag your HD music while listening to the radio with your iPod connected. When you hear a song you enjoy on your local HD Radio station, you only have to press the headunit's control knob and the song's information will be saved to your connected iPod. The saved songs will then show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the very next time you sync your iPod to your PC. Then you just need to click, buy, and download the song you tagged directly from the Apple iTunes Music Store.
Note: The following model iPods/iPhone support iTunes Tagging - iPod nano (3rd/4th/5th/6th), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th), iPhone (2G/3G/3GS/4).
Tuner Presets: The KDC-HD545U's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. The Kenwood KDC-HD545U offers two preset modes.
- Normal: You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Mix: You can store a mixture of 6 AM/FM presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 24 AM/FM presets of any mixture.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Tuning Modes: You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Note: You can setup the KDC-HD545U to search only HD Radio stations.
Direct Tuning: You can tune in a desired AM/FM radio station directly by entering the frequency number using the included remote control.
Mono Mode: This feature reduces the noise (static) when a stereo broadcast is received as monaural (for FM analog band only).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the Kenwood CNPKEN1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMKEN2, sold separately).
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner (607SCC1) and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (113KCASR50); package item number 700SIRKENW, or you can connect the optional KCA-SR50 Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (607SCVDOC1); package item number 700SIRPKEN, along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver.
- Auxiliary Input: A portable XM or Sirius satellite radio receiver, scan also be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The KDC-HD545U can play MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps), and AAC (8-320 kbps) files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 512 files and folders. During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays recorded ID3 Tag (Ver.1/2.2/2.3/2.4) information. The headunit will display up to 60 characters.
Note: AAC ID3 Tag information cannot be displayed.
Supreme Setting: When MP3 or WMA files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Text Scroll: The KDC-HD545U will display CD text or Audio file text. You can set the text scrolling feature to two different modes (Auto or Manual) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA/AAC music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the headunit's rotary knob.
Direct Music Search: The supplied IR wireless remote control (RC-405) allows you to search for music directly by entering the track number.
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
CD Read: This function sets the method for reading a CD disc. You can choose between two modes.
- CD1: Automatically distinguishes between audio file disc and music CD when playing a CD, CD-R/RW disc.
- CD2: When unable to play a special formatted CD, set this function to CD2 to force playing. Some music CD discs may be unplayable even when set to this mode.
Off Eject: The KDC-HD545U allows you to eject your disc for 10 minutes after switching off the vehicles engine.
Note: The unit will not allow you to load a CD while is powered off. The unit must be On or in Standby mode to load a disc.
USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-HD545U features a front panel Full-Speed (Max. 12Mbps) 2.0 USB type-A port that is hidden behind a sliding cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class device with MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps), and AAC (8-320 kbps) music files. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 65,025 files and folders. During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays recorded ID3 Tag (Ver.1/2.2/2.3/2.4) information. The headunit will display up to 60 characters. When your USB device is connected to this unit, it can be charged up provided that the KDC-HD545U is powered on.
Note: AAC ID3 Tag information cannot be displayed. You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod Direct: The KDC-HD545U's front-panel USB port also acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the optional Kenwood USB Direct Connection Cable (113iP101, sold separately) or the USB/iPod cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the KDC-HD545U.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB.
- Audio Playback: The Kenwood headunit supports audio playback of music files and podcasts stored on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Navigation: When your iPod/iPhone is connected to the KDC-HD545U, you can choose to operate your iPod/iPhone via the Kenwood headunit's controls or your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. If you select to control your iPod/iPhone from the KDC-HD545U, the Kenwood headunit will allow you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast (your iPod's click-wheel/touch-screen will be locked in this mode). You can search these categories alphabetically or using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10%). In addition, you can create your own custom iPod playlist (up to 10 songs) from the headunit.
- Information Display: The KDC-HD545U will also display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood headunit. If you choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone via its clickwheel or touchscreen controls, the KDC-HD545U will not display your iPod's music information (the headunit will instead display iPod MODE).
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the headunit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood KDC-HD545U is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of Feb. 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Info||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available. Not compatible with iOS 4.0 for iPhone (3G/3GS) or iPod touch (2nd/3rd gen).
AUX Input: The KDC-HD545U is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm mini-jack auxiliary input for connecting external portable audio devices such as an MP3 player. The KDC-HD545U allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Rear Auxiliary Input "Ready": The unit already features a front panel auxiliary input, but if you need a second auxiliary input, one can be added to the rear of the unit. When used with an optional adapter, this unit can accept a rear input from an auxiliary source. When the CA-C1AUX adapter (113CAC1AX, sold separately) is used, you cannot connect a CD changer to the head unit because the adapter plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit. When the KCA-S220A 2-changer switch (113KCAS220, sold separately) is used, you can connect a CD changer and an auxiliary audio source at the same time. When an auxiliary audio source is connected, you can choose from one of six names for the source: AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT300 Bluetooth adapter (113BT300, sold separately). Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood head unit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the head unit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT300 adapter.
Note: Not all Bluetooth enabled mobile phones will be compatible with this unit. Please visit Kenwood.com for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
IR Remote Control: The KDC-HD545U comes with the RC-405 IR wireless remote control with a full numeric keypad (0-9). The remote will control Audio, CD, HD Radio, and external device functions. The remote control allows direct access of your music tracks and discs loaded in a connected CD-changer (sold separately), as well as direct access to AM/FM radio stations. It is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery (supplied).
Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.