About the Kenwood KDC-HD942U
Take advantage of free HD Radio broadcasts with Kenwood's KDC-HD942U CD receiver. Its built-in HD Radio tuner lets you enjoy the crystal-clear digital AM/FM broadcasts from participating stations FM sounds almost like CD quality, and AM sounds like traditional FM. Plus, HD Radio stations can broadcast more than one channel on the same frequency, giving you more listening choices.
iPod® control and iTunes® tagging
Built-in iPod controls allow you to connect and control your iPod or iPhone from the receiver. No adapter's needed, but you should pick up Kenwood's optional iPod cable it's designed for life in your car, so you can leave your original cable at home.
You can "tag" songs you hear on participating HD Radio broadcasts for purchasing later. With your iPod connected and an HD Radio station tuned in, you simply tag the song while it's playing, and a reminder is stored on your iPod. Then the next time you sync your iPod on your computer, a reminder pops up to buy your tagged songs from the iTunes store.
Plays all your music
Listen to your regular CDs, plus your MP3, WMA, and AAC files you've burned to disc or stored on a thumb drive. You'll see detailed song info on the 4-line display. A rear auxiliary input lets you add even more sources.
A premium digital-to-analog converter does all your tunes justice, and Kenwood's Supreme Setting feature enhances your digital files to make them sound more full-bodied, and closer to the sound quality of the original source. iPod EQ is a set of sound adjustments voiced specifically for iPods, separate from the 3-band parametric EQ used to tweak your overall sound. A digital crossover system and time alignment capability complete your sonic toolbox.
Build a system
Add a satellite radio tuner for entertainment and commercial-free music, or a Bluetooth adapter for making hands-free calls. Three sets of preamp outputs let you add amps and subs.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files
- 4-line display with detachable face
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- remote control
- System Q Sound Control (6 EQ curves and a 3-band parametric equalizer)
- Supreme Setting function enhances music files
- Digital E's crossover system and time alignment capability
- subwoofer level controls
- built-in iPod controls no iPod adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with Kenwood Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, CD changer
- inputs: rear USB slot and auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- HD/AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into the chassis
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- RC-547 Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Soft fabric face case
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- 2 Face-fixing screws
- Machine screw
- Philips-head mounting screw
- Kenwood Music Editor CD-ROM (ver.2.1.0)
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spa/Fre)
- Warranty Card
- "Attention" sheet (taped to unit)
- Music Editor note
Kenwood KDC-HD942U reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KDC-HD942U
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Rear and Optional Rear|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
Overview: The Kenwood KDC-HD942U AM/FM CD receiver features a detachable fold-down face, rear-panel auxiliary and USB input, three pairs of 4-volt preamp outputs, built-in HD AM/FM radio and iPod operation, CD changer and Satellite radio controls, as well as AAC/MP3/WMA playback. The unit also supports Bluetooth via an optional adapter sold separately. In addition, the CD player comes with an IR wireless remote control. The unit's amplifier is rated at 22 watts x 4 channel RMS and 50 watts x 4 channel peak.
Detachable Fold-Down Face: The unit features a fold-down, detachable face to deter theft. There is a red indicator light that will flash on the unit after the face has been removed to warn potential thieves. You can turn this flashing LED on or off. The CD player comes supplied with a soft black fabric, draw string face case to protect the detachable face when you have it off the chassis. You must manually fold the face down before inserting or ejecting a disc.
FL Display: The KDC-HD942U features a full-dot, multi-line FL display with spectrum analyzer and adjustable contrast. The KDC-HD942U offers the following display and button illumination settings.
- Type Select: Allows
you to choose between four display types.
- Type A displays 4 to 5 lines of text (you can choose from 3 different layouts)
- Type B displays a line of text and motion display
- Type C display a line of text and the spectrum analyzer (you can choose between two spectrum analyzer patterns)
- Type D display the clock
- Text Select: Select which text information displays on the headunit. You can choose up to 5 lines of text between 7 selections: Station Name, Frequency, Album Artist, Title, Genre, Date, or Blank.
- Text/Title Scroll: The KDC-HD942U will display CD text, Audio file text and Satellite and HD radio text. You can turn the scrolling feature "on" to scroll longer titles across the screen.
- Illumination Effect: Sets whether the headunit's button illumination brightness is changed in conjunction with the button operation.
- Illumination Music Sync: Sets whether the headunit's button illumination brightness is changed in conjunction with the sound volume.
- Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Dual Rotary Knobs: the KDC-HD942 features two rotary control dials (one 3-way and one 7-way) to make playback and adjustment of your music as simple as possible.
Security Code: You can enter a 4-digit security code which must be used when the unit is removed from the vehicle, or the constant power source is disconnected from the unit. When constant power is restored to the unit, the security code must be entered before the unit becomes operational.
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo, while FM digital will have CD-like quality with static free and clear reception. In addition, AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting. You can setup the KDC-HD942U to search only HD Radio stations.
HD Radio Tagging: Using the headunit's iTunes Tagging enabled HD Radio, you can tag your HD music while listening to the radio with your iPod connected. When you hear a song you enjoy on your local HD Radio station, you only have to press the headunit's control knob and the song's information will be saved to your connected iPod. The saved songs will then show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the very next time you sync your iPod to your PC. Then you just need to click, buy, and download the song you tagged directly from the Apple iTunes Music Store.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. The tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
AAC/MP3/WMA Playback: The KDC-HD942U can play AAC (8-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (48-192 kbps) files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 512 files and folders. During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (Ver.1) information. The headunit will display up to 30 characters.
Supreme Setting: When MP3, WMA or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the headunit's rotary knob.
CD Force: When there is a problem with playing a CD with a special format, this setting plays the CD by force. Some CDs still may not play in the CD Force mode.
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
Off Eject: The KDC-HD942U allows you to eject your disc for 10 minutes after switching off the vehicles engine.
Favorite Memory Control: The headunit's Favorite Control feature allows you to save six "Favorites" for easy access. You can select a "Favorite" playlist from your connected iPod, your favorite radio station from the unit's built-in HD AM/FM tuner or connected Satellite Radio tuner (both sold separately), or a favorite telephone number from your mobile-phone using the optional Bluetooth hands-free kit (sold separately). This allows you to have instant access your favorite Radio station, telephone number, or iPod playlist from one list on the headunit's display. You can also name each Favorite for even easier access.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood KDC-HD942U utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
Sound Management System (S.M.S.): In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the Sound Management System to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, locations, distances and x-over points. The S.M.S. settings include the following:
- Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Station Wagon, Mini Van , SUV, Mini Van Long, or Off
- Speaker Setting:
- Front Location: Choose either Door, On Dash, or Under Dash
- Front Size: Choose from Small, Medium, or Large
- Tweeter Size: Select either None or Use
- Rear Location: Choose between Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row or 3rd Row
- Rear Size: Choose from Small, Medium, Large, or None
- Subwoofer Size: Select from Small, Large, or None
- Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.
- Front High Pass Filter: Select between 40, 60, 70, 80,100, 120, 150, 180, or 220Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Rear High Pass Filter: Select between 40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Phase: Choose either Normal or Reverse
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the System Q presets, or set your own custom settings for the front and back speakers independently, using the 3-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:
- Preset EQ: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game, iPod, or User.
- 3-Band EQ: You can adjust the following 3-Band EQ
- Band Levels: Independent front and rear EQ level of -9dB to +9dB.
- Quality Setting: Independent front and rear Q setting of 0.25, 0.50, 1.00, or 2.00
- Center Frequency: Independent front and rear
frequency settings from these 4 bands:
- Band 1: 60Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, or 400Hz
- Band 2: 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, or 2.5kHz
- Band 3: 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, or 16kHz
Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. According to the listening position, select the position from the following settings (All, Front Left, Front Right or Front) so that the normal position of the sound environment can be compensated in accordance with the selected position.
Bass Boost: The Kenwood KDC-HD942U features a two level Bass Boost to increase bass levels.
Highway Sound: This features compensates the low volume or bass sound being lost by road noises to make vocals sound clearer. You can set the Highway Sound function to 1, 2, 3, or off.
3-Sets of 4V Preamp Outputs: The KDC-HD942U features front, rear and subwoofer 4V preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the headunit.
Subwoofer Level: You can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level from the CD receiver. You select levels between -15 to +15.
Dual Zone: The Dual Zone mode allows you to output the Main source and the Auxiliary input separately for the front and rear channels. You can select whether the auxiliary input will play in the front or the rear.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, Tuner, Aux, and USB).
Tel Mute: The KDC-HD942U features a cell-phone mute wire (brown) in its harness that when hooked up to your car's phone system mute wire will automatically mute the receiver's audio signal when a call comes in.
USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-HD942U features a rear-panel 2.0 USB type-A port on a 38" pigtail. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class device with AAC (8-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps), and WMA (48-192 kbps) music files. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 65,025 files and folders. When your USB device is connected to this unit, it can be charged up provided that the KDC-HD942U is powered on.
Note: You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod Direct: The KDC-HD942U's rear-panel USB port also acts as an iPod high-speed direct connection when used with the optional Kenwood USB Direct Connection Cable (113iP101, sold separately) or the USB/iPod cable that comes with your iPod. Using either cable allows you to connect, control, and charge select iPod models with the KDC-HD942U. The USB connection allows your iPod's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to105dB.When your iPod is connected to the KDC-HD942U, you can choose to operate your iPod via the Kenwood headunit's controls or your iPod's click-wheel/touch-screen. If you select to control your iPod from the KDC-HD942U, the Kenwood headunit will allow you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast (your iPod's click-wheel/touch-screen will be locked in this mode). You can search these categories alphabetically or using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10%). You can also choose to listen to all songs stored on your iPod at random. The KDC-HD942U will also display your iPod's music file information when in this mode. If you choose to operate your connected iPod via its click-wheel/touch-screen controls, the KDC-HD942U will not display your iPod's music information (the headunit will instead display "iPod MODE") and the Kenwood headunit's controls will no longer operate your iPod. The Kenwood KDC-HD942U is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of Jan. 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
Note: Apple firmware updates may change functionality results. You may need to reset your iPod if you download a newer software version.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner (607SCC1) and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (113KCASR50); package item number 700SIRKENW, or you can connect the optional KCA-SR50 Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (607SCVDOC1); package item number 700SIRPKEN, along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver.
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the XM Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can also be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth adapter (113BT200, sold separately). Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the headunit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT200 adapter. Visit Kenwood.com for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Changer Controls: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers manufactured in 1998 or later. If the changer has an O-N switch, the switch will need to be set to the "N" position. In addition to basic disc navigation features, this unit has the following changer controls: direct disc access (using the remote), direct track access (using the remote), track intro scan, track repeat, disc repeat, disc random, and magazine disc random. When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. The text information can be scrolled manually or automatically.
AUX Input: The KDC-HD942U is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input for connecting external portable audio devices such as an MP3 player. The KDC-HD942U allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Rear Auxiliary Input "Ready": The unit already features a front panel auxiliary input, but if you need a second auxiliary input, one can be added to the rear of the unit. When used with an optional adapter, this unit can accept a rear input from an auxiliary source. When the CA-C1AUX adapter (113CAC1AX, sold separately) is used, you cannot connect a CD changer to the head unit because the adapter plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit. When the KCA-S220A 2-changer switch (113KCAS220, sold separately) is used, you can connect a CD changer and an auxiliary audio source at the same time. When an auxiliary audio source is connected, you can choose from one of six names for the source: AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
IR Remote Control: The KDC-HD942U comes with the RC-547 IR wireless remote control with a full numeric keypad. The remote will control Audio, CD, Tuner, Satellite Radio, and Dual Zone functions. The remote control allows direct access of your music tracks, direct access to discs loaded in a connected CD-changer (sold separately) and direct access to AM/FM radio stations. It is powered by 2 "AA" batteries (supplied).
Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The KDC-HD942U has a "steering remote control" lead on the back panel. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (127SWIJACK, sold separately), you can retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles. The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. Please consult the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Supplied Software: The KDC-HD942U comes supplied with the Kenwood Music Editor Version 2.1.0 CD-ROM. Kenwood Music Editor is a desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer AAC, MP3, and WMA music files to your USB devices from your PC.
- Operating System:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional/Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit version)
- Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit version)
- Other Programs:
- Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
- QuickTime 7 or later (when using AAC file)
- Windows Media Player 10/11
- Hard disk with at least 100MB free space
- CD-ROM drive (CD-R/RW drive when writing to CD-R/RW)
- USB interface (2.0/1.1)