About the Kenwood KAC-8402
Build your car audio system on a firm foundation of power Kenwood power! Kenwood amplifiers are famous for their rugged, no-nonsense reliability and superior sound quality. Their efficient MOSFET power supplies and beefy internal components provide an abundant source of clean, crisp sound at a great dollar-to-watt value.
The KAC-8402 4-channel amplifier is a great way to improve the fidelity of the full-range speakers in your system you'll hear all the details in your music, whether it's the slide of a finger on an acoustic guitar, or the subtle tones of your favorite singer's voice. Looking for some bass? Put the KAC-8402 into your system to power up a couple of subs with 180 watts of power each!
No matter how you use it, you can choose the frequencies that your speakers receive with the variable high- and low-pass filters. A 6 dB bass boost is available on channels 3 and 4. The KAC-8402 includes speaker-level inputs, for hook-up to your factory stereo. If you're adding multiple amps, you'll appreciate the preamp outputs that allow you to daisy-chain additional amps to this one.
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 180 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- front channel high-pass filters (50-200 Hz at 12 dB per octave), rear channel high- and low-pass filters (50-200 Hz with 12 dB/octave high-pass and 18 dB/octave low pass)
- bass boost (6 dB at 90 Hz), channels 3 and 4
- MOSFET power supply
- CEA-2006 compliant
- Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
- preamp- and speaker-level inputs
- preamp outputs
- requires 8-gauge power and ground leads wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- fuse rating: 40A x 1
- 15"W x 2-7/16"H x 11-5/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KAC-8402
What's in the box:
- Four-channel amplifier with 40-amp blade fuse inserted into the chassis
- Allen wrench
- Speaker level input harness
- Rubber terminal cover
- Four 3/4" Self-tapping screws
- Instruction Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty information
- Note about rear side cover
Kenwood KAC-8402 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KAC-8402
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||180 x 4|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||90 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||180 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||5-50kHz Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||18 dB|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|Bass Boost||6 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||90 Hz|
|Fuse Rating||40 x 1|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Multi Channel: The KAC-8402 is a 4-channel amplifier, essentially two stereo amplifiers (referred to as Amp A and Amp B) in one chassis.
Line Level Inputs: Amplifiers A and B each have separate line-level RCA inputs with independent gain (Input Sensitivity) controls. The Input Sensitivity controls will accept an input signal of 200mV to 5.0 Volts. If you are using a receiver with only one pair of preamp outputs, a switch allows you to feed both Amp A and B with a single stereo input. When the amplifier switch is in the A input only position, the fader control on the radio will not allow fading between Amplifiers A and B.
Speaker Level Input: The KAC-8402 comes with a 4-channel speaker level input harness. Once you splice the front and rear speaker wires from the receiver to the harness, you have plug-in convenience to the amplifier. This feature makes it easier to add an amplifier to a factory radio or a receiver with no preamp outputs. The maximum power output from the source receiver can be no more than 40 watts.
Line Level Output: The amplifier has a line level output for feeding a full-range signal to another amplifier. The output is always stereo regardless of the position of the Operation (stereo/mono) switch.
Crossovers: The KAC-8402 has built-in crossovers for both the A and B sections. Amplifier A's crossover is high pass at 12 dB/octave and is continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz. Amplifier B's crossover can be set to high pass or low pass. The high pass option, like Amplifier A, is 12 dB/octave and is continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz. The low pass option is also continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz but has an 18 dB/octave slope.
Bass Boost: A fixed bass boost of 6dB at 90Hz can be engaged for Amplifier B only. There is no bass boost for Amplifier A.
Stereo/Mono Operation: You can independently switch Amplifier A and Amplifier B from Stereo to Mono operation. When switched to Mono, the signal from the left channel input only is used.
Protection circuitry: The amplifier features protection circuits that will shut the amp down in case of the following events:
- Speaker output contacts ground
- Speaker wire short-circuits
- Unit malfunctions and DC is sent to speaker output
- Internal temperature is too high
- Loss of ground of head unit or amp
Front of the Amplifier
- Fuse: 40 amp
- BATT (Power): Screw terminal (0.55" wide)
- GND (Ground): Screw terminal (0.55" wide)
- P.CON (remote turn-on): Screw terminal (0.33" wide)
- Speaker outputs: Screw terminals (0.33" wide)
- GND: Phillips-head screw for RCA signal ground
- Speaker-level input: Multi-pin input for use with included speaker level input harness
- A and B line-in jacks: Two pair of RCA inputs
- Line out jacks: One pair RCA outputs that provide a summed signal from the "A" and "B" sets of line inputs
Top of the Amplifier
- Input Selector: A/A&B
- Amp A Crossover: High Pass/Off
- Amp A Operation Mode: Stereo/Mono
- Amp A High Pass Frequency: 50-200 Hz
- Amp A Input Sensitivity: 200 mV-5 V
- Amp B Crossover: High Pass/Low Pass/Off
- Amp B Operation Mode: Stereo/Mono
- Bass Boost (Amp B only): On/Off
- Amp B High Pass Frequency: 50-200 Hz
- Amp B Low Pass Frequency: 50-200 Hz
- Amp B Input Sensitivity: 200 mV-5 V
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a new system of testing & measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, and at a frequency range (for full range amplifiers) of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CEA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis.
Power: Using the CEA-2006 guidelines above, the power output of the KAC-8402 is 60 watts RMS x 4 channels.
Kenwood also lists the following specifications:
- Rated power output at 2 ohms: 90 watts x 4 (1 kHz, 0.8% THD)
- Rated power output at 4 ohms, bridged: 180 watts x 2 (1 kHz, 0.8% THD)
- Input impedance: 10k ohms
- Operating voltage: 14.4 V (11-16V allowable)
- Current consumption: 40A
The Kenwood KAC-8402 replaces these items