About the Kenwood KCA-HX5M
Be the leader of your pack with this Bluetooth system
Be the leader of your pack with this Bluetooth system
Kenwood's KCA-HX5M Bluetooth communication system for bikers makes it easy to stay in touch with your crew at rallies or other riding events, thanks to its Mesh Intercom, which lets up to 24 riders communicate with each other as a group wirelessly. This handy headset kit works with nearly any helmet and comes with a couple of different mics to suit your riding environment. Once you're out on the road, you can enjoy hands-free conversations with one person or many. And you can listen to your favorite tunes, including those from local FM radio stations, too.
The KCA-HX5M features the latest Sena 30K Mesh Intercom technology, which lets riders talk headset-to-headset in groups or individually from up to 1.2 miles apart, without having to pair each headset together. You can talk to other riders using a KCA-HX5M or another compatible Sena Mesh Intercom headset. Use the free Mesh Utility for Kenwood app on your smartphone to easily manage settings, including channels and members in different Group Meshes, or use Open Mesh to have the whole club communicate with each other. You also get Audio Multitasking so you can talk to your peers while also listening to music or GPS directions from your phone or navigator.
The KCA-HX5M's built-in Bluetooth 4.1 technology allows you to communicate with up to three other riders at the same time via paired phones at a distance of up to 1.2 miles. You'll also have multiple intercom options to get your friends involved with the conversations. And you can pair the headset with your Bluetooth enabled GPS navigator or music player so you can hear directions and tunes through the headset's speakers.
Not only does the KCA-HX5M pair with additional phones or MP3 players so you can stream audio as you ride, it features a 2.5mm auxiliary input so you can hook a music source like a CD player or other portable media player right into your headset and enjoy tunes as you ride. Are you a radio fan? This headset features FM reception, so you can check out local stations as you ride, and you can even save up to ten presets. Advanced Noise Control noise cancellation ensures your music and conversations will sound solid, no matter how loud your chopper gets.
Voice commands for hands-free operation
The KCA-HX5M's jog dial controller and phone/intercom buttons make it easy to scroll through different functions and control the communication, but the headset also understands a number of simple voice commands. By speaking the commands out loud, you can keep your hands on your bike and still manage chats, calls, and your music effortlessly.
Kenwood built this system for the long haul. It's water-resistant, so safe to use in stormy weather or if you're expecting a splash-filled ride. It offers up to 13 hours of talk time in Bluetooth Intercom mode (8 hours in Mesh Intercom mode), so you're set for long days out cruising. And you can recharge the headset's battery in under 2 hours, in case you need to hit the road again in a jiffy.
- motorcycle Bluetooth communication system
- headset, universal helmet clamp, microphones, and accessories
- built-in rechargeable battery
- Mesh Intercom (Sena 30K compatible):
- communication between up to 24 riders in a Group Mesh without pairing each headset
- Open Mesh allows communication with unlimited riders
- control settings, channels, and more through the Mesh Utility for Kenwood app
- coverage: up to 1.2 miles in open terrain
- battery life: up to 8 hours
- Bluetooth Intercom:
- communication between up to 4 riders with 2-way, 3-way, and multi-way conference calls
- coverage: up to 1.2 miles in open terrain
- battery life: up to 13 hours
- Bluetooth music sharing
- FM radio reception with 10 station presets
- Advanced Noise Control noise cancellation
- Audio Multitasking layers different audio sources
- voice commands for hands-free operation
- GPS navigation prompts
- built-in 2.5mm auxiliary audio input and earbud port
- water-resistant construction
- main module dimensions: 10-3/8"W x 3-5/8"H x 1-15/16"D (with boom mic)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KCA-HX5M
What's in the box:
- Headset main unit
- Universal helmet clamp w/attached 7.5" boom mic and 2 speakers (8" cord on one / 21" cord on other)
- 7" Boom mic w/attached 6.5" cord terminated in a right-angle 2.5mm TS plug
- Wired mic w/attached 11" cable terminated in a right-angle 2.5mm TS plug
- 4' USB Cable (type-A on one end / right-angle micro-B on other end)
- Surface-mounting adapter (attached 3M adhesive)
- 2 Foam speaker covers
- 2 Foam windscreens
- 2 Large speaker pads
- 2 Small speaker pads
- 4 Hook-and-loop fastener patches for speakers
- Boom mic holder
- Hook-and-loop fastener patch for boom mic holder
- Speaker port cover
- 2 Rubber pads w/3M adhesive backing
- Hook-and-loop fastener patch for boom microphone
- 2.5mm Allen key
- Quickstart guide
- Certification & Safety Approvals
- Safey Precautions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KCA-HX5M
Overview: The Kenwood KCA-HX5M motorcycle headset kit is designed to provide clear, hands-free, helmet-to-helmet communication with other riders. Key features include: Mesh Intercom, that lets up to 24 riders communicate with up to 1.2 miles of range (line-of-sight); Bluetooth Intercom, Multi-Way Intercom, Advanced Noise Control, and Audio Multitasking. The motorcycle headset kit is designed to mount to most motorcycle helmets and includes 3 types of microphones, along with a set of helmet-installed speakers and earbuds. The KCA-HX5M is water-resistant for use in all weather conditions.
Mesh Intercom: Mesh Intercom is a dynamic communication system created by Sena that provides instant and effortless bike-to-bike communication without a pre-grouping process. It allows riders to connect and communicate with nearby users without the need to pair each headset together. When Mesh Intercom is enabled, the KCA-HX5M will automatically connect to nearby KCA-HX5M users along with other compatible Sena Mesh devices with Open Mesh and Group Mesh capability. Mesh Intercom features an operating range of up to 1.2 miles in open terrain.
- Open Mesh: This is an open group intercom function that lets users freely communicate with each other on the same Open Mesh channel (1-9) that can be selected through the headset. This allows a virtually unlimited number of users on each channel.
- Group Mesh: This is a closed group intercom function that allows users to join or leave without having to pair each headset. Users can freely communicate with each other in the same private group in Group Mesh. Up to 24 users can be connected in a private group.
Bluetooth Intercom: The Bluetooth Intercom feature lets you communicate with up to 3 other KCA-HX5M headset users (4 total) by simply pairing the headsets together. Bluetooth Intercom features an operating range of up to 1.2 miles in open terrain.
- Two-Way Intercom: Once all the headsets are paired, you can start and end a conversation with another individual by tapping the Jog Dial the same number of times that headset was assigned in the Pairing process.
- Multi-Way Intercom: Enables conference-call type conversations with up to 3 other Bluetooth Intercom Friends at the same time.
- Universal Intercom: The KCA-HX5M lets you have Two-Way Intercom or Multi-Way Intercom with up to 3 friends using non-Kenwood/Sena headsets.
- VOX Intercom: Lets you initiate an intercom conversation with the last connected intercom friend by voice-activation.
- HD Intercom: Enhances 2-way intercom audio from normal quality to
HD quality. If an HD Intercom conversation is switched to a Multi-Way
conversation, the audio quality will change to normal.
- Note: The communication range for HD Intercom is shorter than with normal intercom communication.
- Advanced Noise Control: When enabled, this feature reduces background noise during intercom conversations.
Phone & Music: The KCA-HX5M can be paired to a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or MP3 player, letting you make and receive hands-free phone calls. Phone numbers can be stored as Speed Dial Presets, for quick retrieval using the Jog Dial control. The system also supports both A2DP and AVRCP for stereo audio playback with control of the playback device.
App Control: The Mesh Utility for Kenwood app, available from the Google Play and Apple App stores, makes configuring the KCA-HX5M easier and quicker, using your Bluetooth connected smartphone. App configuration features include: Mesh Intercom & Bluetooth Intercom, Music, FM Radio, Device Settings, as well as the Quickstart Guide and User Guide.
Intercom Device Manager: The Intercom Device Manager, available here for PC and Mac computers, lets you configure the KCA-HX5M and update the firmware from your USB-connected computer.
Audio Multitasking: Audio Multitasking lets you have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS instructions. The overlaid audio will play in the background with reduced volume during the conversation and will return to normal volume once the conversation is finished. Mesh Intercom Audio Multitasking is always on. Bluetooth Intercom Audio Multitasking will need to be activated in the setup menu. HD Intercom will become temporarily disabled when Audio Multitasking is enabled. The intercom sensitivity to activate the background audio mode can be adjusted between 1 (lowest sensitivity) up to 5 (highest sensitivity).
FM Radio: The Kenwood KCA-HX5M includes a built-in FM tuner. A scan feature automatically searches for radio stations starting with the current station's frequency. Each station that's found will play for 8 seconds, letting you save it, if desired, by tapping the Phone button.
- Temporary Station Preset: This feature will search and save the nearest 10 radio stations without changing your existing presets. Tapping the Phone button lets you navigate through saved presets.
- Region Selection: Lets you select the proper FM frequency range for your location. Available regions include: North America, South America, Australia, Asia, Europe, Japan, and a Worldwide setting (76.0 - 108.0MHz).
- RDS AF: The Radio Data System (RDS) Alternative Frequency (AF) setting, when enabled, lets the radio receiver automatically tune to a different station if the current one becomes too weak.
- FM Station Guide: When enabled, this feature will voice prompts to announce FM preset stations as they are selected.
Ambient Mode: An Ambient Mode button on the of the helmet clamp lets you hear the ambient sound outside your helmet. When activated, intercom conversations and music will be disabled.
Voice Commands: The Voice Command feature lets you operate the KCA-HX5M completely hands-free using only voice commands.
Music Playback (Non-Bluetooth): The helmet-mounted headset features a 2.5mm TRS socket for music playback from a wired audio device. Music Sharing allows you to share your music with one other intercom user during a 2-way intercom conversation.
Note: A 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter may be required and is sold separately.
Power: The Kenwood KCA-HX5M features a built-in Lithium Polymer rechargeable battery, offering up to 13 hrs. of Bluetooth Intercom use and up to 8 hrs. of Mesh Intercom use. A micro-B USB port on the headset lets you charge the internal battery using the included type-A to micro-B USB cable. The headset's Fast Charging feature can fully charge the internal battery in approximately 1.5 hrs., and can provide up to 5 hrs. of talk-time after only 20 mins. of charging.
Hardware: The KCA-HX5M consists of two main parts - the Universal Helmet Clamp, which includes the microphone and helmet speakers; and the Main Unit, which includes the Jog Dial, along with the Mesh Intercom, Phone, and Ambient Mode buttons. The Main Unit also features a fold-out Mesh Intercom antenna. Two boom-type microphones are included along with a wired mic, letting you select the right one for your helmet type/style. Two wired speakers are included for mounting inside a helmet, along with two sizes of spacer pads for a proper fit. Each speaker is 1.58" in diameter and 0.28" thick. An additional pair if Earbud speakers is also provided, if desired.