About the Kenwood KDC-152
It's amazing how far your dollar goes these days when it comes to buying a new car stereo. Kenwood's KDC-152 CD receiver lives at the budget end of the their lineup, but you'll be pleasantly surprised at the performance and features it offers.
Start with a firm foundation of power
The typical factory radio is woefully underpowered, as you can tell by the muddy and indistinct sound you hear when you get up to highway speeds. This Kenwood's built-in amplifier delivers impressive power, and you'll notice a big bump in performance right away, whether you're using your factory speakers or some aftermarket models.
More media options
Chances are, you've got an an iPod® or some type of portable player. You and your friends can plug into the receiver's handy front-panel minijack input and listen to your favorite tunes while you drive. If you're spinning CDs, you'll enjoy superior sound quality from your discs — soundstaging and stereo separation are crisp and clean. And you can burn the music on your computer onto a disc and hit the road — the KDC-152 plays discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files, so you can enjoy long road trips without having to swap out discs.
Forget about the limited tone controls you'll find on a factory radio. The KDC-152 gives you a 3-band EQ and a bass boost, along with a Supreme Setting feature to improve the sound of MP3 files. And you can store a different EQ curve for each source — one for the radio, one for the aux input, and one for CDs.
Even cooler, if you add a powered sub to your system, you can turn it up and down with the receiver's sub level control, a great feature if you listen to a wide variety of music. And, speaking of control, Kenwood includes a wireless remote for your convenience.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- detachable face with 11-digit LCD display and red button illumination
- remote control
- System Q Sound Control (6 EQ curves and a 3-band equalizer)
- Supreme Setting improves the sound of files encoded at low bit rates
- speaker size settings
- bass boost
- low-pass filter and subwoofer level control
- inputs: front-panel auxiliary input
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt, switchable to subwoofer mode)
Other features and specs:
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KDC-152
What's in the box:
- AM/FM CD receiver (with 10-amp fuse inserted into the chassis)
- Face (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RC-405)
- CR2025 3V lithium-battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood KDC-152 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KDC-152
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||N/C|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Display Color||Bluish white|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||N/A|
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3/WMA Playback: The KDC-152 can play MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (32-192 kbps) files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, and Long file name formats. Each disc can have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder (512 maximum number of files and folders). During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) and WMA Tag information - up to 60 characters.
Text Scroll: The KDC-152 will display CD text or Audio file text. You can set the text scrolling feature to three different modes (Auto, Once, or Off) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the head unit's rotary knob.
Direct Music Search: The supplied IR wireless remote control (RC-405) allows you to search for music directly by entering the track number.
Playback Modes: The Kenwood KDC-152 features the following Repeat, Random, and Scan playback modes.
- Repeat Play: Track, File, or Folder
- Random Play: Disc or Folder
- Scan Play: Track or File (plays the first 10-seconds of each music track on a disc or music file in a folder)
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
CD Read: This function sets the method for reading a CD disc. You can choose between two modes.
- CD1: Automatically distinguishes between audio file disc and music CD when playing a CD or CD-R/RW disc.
- CD2: When unable to play a special formatted CD, set this function to CD2 to force playing. Some music CD discs may be unplayable even when set to this mode.
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Reload: If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust.
AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood KDC-152 features a built-in AM/FM tuner. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Tuner Presets: The KDC-152's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. The Kenwood KDC-152 offers two preset modes.
- Normal: You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24).
- Mix: A total of 6 preset stations can be assigned to the head unit's 6 preset buttons, regardless of AM/FM band. This lets you recall a preset station without switching between bands.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Mono Mode: The Mono mode improves the radio's FM reception, but the stereo effect may be lost.
Aux In: The unit is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input that can be used to input audio from a portable audio source such as an MP3 player. The Aux input must be turned on to function. The unit has 3 auxiliary input modes.
- On1: Outputs the sound of the external unit connected to the Aux terminal when switched to the Aux source.
- On2: Activates the attenuator function when turning on the power with the auxiliary source selected. This prevents the noise when no external unit is connected to the Aux terminal. Turn off the attenuator function when listening to output from an external unit.
- Off: Disables the selection of the Aux source.
Auxiliary Display: The KDC-152 allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video, or TV.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood KDC-152 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood KDC-152 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KDC-152 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
3-Way Rotary Volume Control: The CD receiver uses a 3-way rotary volume control that increases and decreases the volume of the stereo from 0 to 35. The rotary knob also controls other audio settings such as Balance, Fader, Bass, Mid, Treble and preset EQ settings. In addition, the rotary knob allows you to scroll through and select your music tracks when the Music Search function is activated.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 (-8 to +8 for Aux source).
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of 'SP-Off' (flat/off), 'SP-OEM' (for OEM factory speaker systems), 'SP-6x9/6' (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or 'SP-5/4' (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
Preset EQ: Eight EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (10kHz). You can choose from the following preset EQ curves - Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Game, and User.
Bass/Treble/Mid Control: The System Q's User Mode features independent Bass (100 Hz), Treble (10 kHz) and Midrange (1 kHz) control from - 8 to +8 dB.
Bass Boost: In addition, The Kenwood CD receiver features a Bass Boost control that can be set to the following levels (LV1, LV2 or Off).
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, Tuner, and Aux).
Supreme Setting: When MP3 or WMA files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Selectable Preamp Output: The KDC-152 features a preamp output that you can adjust from a full-range rear speaker preamp output to a low-pass subwoofer preamp output.
Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood KDC-152 offers the following subwoofer controls, when you have the unit's subwoofer preamp output activated.
- Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp-output, when the output is set to Subwoofer. You can select from 85 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz or off.
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (-15 to +15) from the CD receiver.
Tel Mute: The KDC-152 features a cell-phone mute wire (brown) in its harness that when hooked up to your car's phone system mute wire will automatically mute the receiver's audio signal when a call comes in.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The Kenwood KDC-152 features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft.
Note: No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Fluorescent Display: The Kenwood head unit features a single-line, 11-character, bluish-white backlit fluorescent display with red button illumination.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face and button illumination is "keyed." When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Display Dimmer: The display has two brightness settings to adjust the brightness of the display according to the surrounding illumination. You can change this setting within the menu from On or Off.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off within the menu.
Wireless Remote Control: The KDC-152 comes with the RC-405 IR wireless remote control with a full numeric keypad (0-9). The remote will control Audio, CD, and Tuner functions. It is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery (supplied).
- Numeric Keypad: The wireless remote control features a numeric keypad (0-9) which allows direct track access of your music tracks & files, as well as AM/FM presets.
- Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
7 questions already asked