About the Kenwood KMD-44
Kenwood's KMD-44 receiver brings MiniDisc convenience and performance to your vehicle with four-way high power (22 watts RMS/45 peak), top-drawer AM/FM reception, extensive tone-shaping capability, and 10-second digital anti-shock memory. The detachable faceplate features a multicolor dot matrix display (with white LED backlighting) for great visibility, day or night!
System Q puts you in control of your vehicle's acoustics with six adjustable EQ curves and three speaker size-matching modes you'll appreciate its ability to maximize the performance of your system. If you'd like an auxiliary input for your portable MP3, CD, or cassette player, add one with an inexpensive adapter.
For the ultimate in long-playing convenience, add a Kenwood CD or MD changer buy one with your receiver and save money with Crutchfield's package discount.Details:
- detachable face
- multicolor display
- CR-2 tuner
- 18 FM/6 AM presets
- System Q Sound Control with 6 adjustable EQ curves, three speaker-size matching modes (factory, small replacement, large replacement), and three tone controls (bass, treble, and midrange)
- 10-second digital anti-shock memory
- CD/MD changer controls
- one set of rear preamp outputs
- MD title display
- wireless remote optional
- 22 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels
- MD frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
- MD signal-to-noise ratio 90 dB
- FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
- 1-year warranty
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/MD/Changer controller receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Hard face case
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- 2 Removal tools
- 1 Metal mounting strap
- 1 Rear support screw with one flat washer and one lock washer
- 1 Machine screw
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Countersunk ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual (English/French)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish/Portuguese)
- Warranty Card
- Car Audio Passport card (required if face needs to be replaced)
- Yellow Caution note (reminds you to closely follow wiring instructions in manual)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood KMD-44
Display Type: This unit has a high-resolution color LCD with white LED backlighting, giving you a bright, easy-to-read display.
Display/Button Illumination: The main display line is illuminated in white. The MD-spinning indicator is displayed with green illumination. The loud, attenuation, and stereo indicators are displayed with red illumination. The Source button is backlit with blue illumination and all other buttons are backlit with green illumination.
Contrast Adjustment: The display contrast may be adjusted from "1" up to "10" for optimum readability.
MD-LP Compatible: In addition to conventional MD playback, this unit will play MDs that have been recorded using LP (Long Play) encoding. When Long Play encoding is used, the recording time allowed on a standard MD is increased by up to four times as much as is possible without LP encoding.
Anti-Shock Memory: This unit is equipped with a 10-second anti-shock memory for skip-resistant play.
Digital Optimum Servo Control (DOSC): This circuitry enables the MD player to determine each disc's reflection rate and the modulation rate if its pits, enabling the player to set the ideal servo gain for each disc. DOSC also adjusts servo gain and balance when it encounters vibration, scratches, dust, or fingerprints, reducing mistracking and skipping.
Precision Digital Timing (DPAC): A high-precision master clock circuit that is isolated from signal-processing circuits to eliminate interference. This ensures that digital information is processed at exactly the same rate as it was recorded, eliminating jitter (time-based errors that make music sound harsh).
Integrated Quad 1-Bit Digital-to-Analog Converter: Four digital-to-analog converters, two for each channel, improve playback sound quality, including musical detail and resolution. Using two converters for each channel reduces distortion by half.
System Q Sound Control: 6 EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. The preset curves are named "Flat", "Rock", "Top 40", "Jazz", "Easy" and "Pops". Each preset has its own bass center frequency, bass level, bass quality factor, bass extension, middle center frequency, middle level, middle quality factor, treble center frequency and treble level settings. You may adjust the bass, middle, and treble level settings for each preset EQ curve; the center frequency and quality factor settings are not user adjustable.
Mobile Preset: The Mobile Preset function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Mobile Preset setting of "Off", "OEM" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "6/6x9 inch" (for systems with 6" to 6"x9" size speakers) or "5/4 inch" (for systems with 4" to 5" speakers).
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (MD, FM, AM and Changer).
Volume Offset Control ("VOL OFFSET"): The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0.
Station Name Preset (SNPS): This feature allows you to assign names to radio stations. Up to 32 FM stations and 16 AM stations can be given a name. Each name can be up to 8 characters in length.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner for clear radio reception.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains.
MD Text Display: This unit will display MD disc and track titles that have been pre-recorded. This receiver will not allow you to enter disc/track titles for MDs, it will only display titles that have been recorded.
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while an MD is playing, the next time MD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
Auxiliary Input "Ready": When used with an optional adapter (KCA-S210A or CA-C1AX) or with the KDC-CX87 CD changer, this unit can accept input from an auxiliary source. This unit cannot accept input from an auxiliary source unless the appropriate adapter or CD changer is purchased and connected. When the CA-C1AX adapter (item 113CAC1AX) is used, you cannot connect a CD changer to the head unit because the CA-C1AX plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit.
Calendar Function: The date may be set into memory and displayed.
Memo Mode: You may input a text message (up to 32 characters) and set the date when that text will appear on the display. The message you select automatically appears on the chosen date when the unit's power is first turned on. You may enter up to 30 separate text messages into memory.
Weather Band Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood KTC-WB100 weather band tuner (sold separately). The optional tuner box allows you to tune in weather band radio stations. There are about 480 weather band radio stations in the United States, and this option allows you to tap into the information needed to prepare for outdoor activities such as sporting events, camping trips and days at the park.
Compatibility: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers that have an O-N switch. If you have an old Kenwood changer with a square plug, you will need the CA-DS100 converter cord and the KCA-S210A switching adapter. If you have a newer Kenwood changer with a round plug but no O-N switch, you will need the KCA-S210A switching adapter. If you use a changer without an O-N switch, you will not have access to the following functions: DNPS, DNPP, Magazine Random Play and CD Text display.Functions:
- Disc Search: Forward and reverse.
- Track Search: Forward and reverse.
- Audible Search: Forward and reverse.
- Repeat Play: Allows you to select Track Repeat or Disc Repeat. When Track Repeat is chosen, the unit will repeat the selected track. When Disc Repeat is chosen, the unit will repeat the selected disc.
- Track Scan: Plays the first 10 seconds of each track on the selected disc.
- Random Play: Plays all tracks on one disc in random order. When all tracks on that disc have been played, the unit will move to the next disc and play all of its tracks in random order.
- Magazine Random Play: Plays the tracks on all the discs in the changer in random order.
- Disc Name Preset (DNPS): When used with a compatible CD changer, this feature allows you to assign names to discs in the changer. Each name can be up to 8 characters in length. The number of names you can store depends on the CD changer that is connected to the head unit.
- CD Text/MD Display: When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer or an MD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. The text information can be scrolled manually or automatically.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed". In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display can be turned on or off using the CLK button. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed". Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.