About the Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP
Putting premium back on top
Putting premium back on top
It's an increasingly common problem. You can't replace your vehicle's premium factory radio, but the premium factory amplifier isn't powerful enough for you. Furthermore, the factory amp gets digital information from the vehicle's databus and replacing the amp would mean you'd lose all audio control, like volume and balance, as well as other features like steering wheel controls, audible navigation alerts, warning chimes, and Bluetooth® connection. Replacing the factory amp with Kenwood's Excelon P-XR600-6DSP amplifier along with its included iDatalink Maestro amp replacement module adds a huge amount of power and tuning ability to your system while retaining all of the vehicle's audio and communication functions.
The Maestro AR connection
The iDatalink Maestro AR module uses a vehicle-specific T-harness (not included) plugged into the factory radio harness to provide a clean audio signal for the P-XR600-6DSP amplifier. In addition, it supplies the specific control signals that retain your vehicle's factory audio functions and notifications. This method of connection results in a much cleaner output than the usual method of summing factory amplified signals together, processing and removing amp noise, and re-amplifying the signal for the speakers.
Standard connection harness included
If you want to use the amp with an aftermarket receiver, the amplifier also comes with a universal input harness, so you can hook it up with standard RCA connections without using the Maestro AR interface.
This Kenwood Excelon amp will add clarity and punch to your audio, as it powers each speaker with up to 75 watts RMS. Or, in order to power a complete system, the amp can drive four speakers with Channels 1-4, while it sends 200 watts RMS to your subwoofer from channels 5-6 in bridged mode. Even better, the P-XR600-6DSP can be set up to actively power your front tweeters, front midrange drivers, rear full range speakers, and provide processed signals for a separate, more powerful subwoofer amplifier. The P-XR600-6DSP can fit in many different places in your car because of its incredibly low profile — it's only 2" tall.
Digital signal processing
You won't find any knobs or buttons on the P-XR600-6DSP as all the controls are software-based and accessible only by way of your iPhone or Android device. Kenwood's DSP control app lets you route signals to where you want them to go, apply and adjust high- and low-pass filters, and set the time-alignment of each speaker so the stereo image will sit centered on the driver seat. You can adjust the tone to perfection with the onboard 13-band graphic and 3-band parametric equalizers.
Two "tweak-ability" modes
Having so much control over so many audio parameters might get confusing, especially for someone who likes to adjust the sound while driving. Instead of risking the loss of a perfect tuning by touching the wrong control on your phone, you can put the P-XR600-6DSP in "User Mode" and limit the remote control to selecting EQ and time-alignment presets and adjusting the subwoofer volume.
Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP connection panel
- 6-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing
- 75 watts RMS x 6 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 6 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 3 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- Class D amp technology
- iDatalink Maestro AR amplifier replacement module included
Digital Signal Processing:
- 10-channel 32-bit 192 KHz digital processor
- all controls and adjustments made via Kenwood DSP Control App via your compatible Bluetooth device
- selectable high- and low-pass filters (31-19,900 Hz) with selectable slopes (6, 12, 18, 24 dB/octave)
- 13-band graphic and 3-band parametric equalizers
- time delay/alignment
- Installer Mode accesses all controls
- User Mode limits functions to selecting EQ and time-alignment presets and subwoofer volume
- input options:
- vehicle specific harness and Maestro AR
- universal RCA harness (included)
- 4 processed preamp outputs
- fan cooling
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- fuse rating: 40A x 2
- dimensions: 12-5/8"W x 2-1/16"H x 7-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # P-XR600-6DSP
What's in the box:
- 6-Channel amplifier (2 x 40A fuses installed)
- 13' ADS extension harness (18-pin connectors on each end)
- 13' Braided extension harness (small 16-pin plugs on each end)
- 9" Input adapter (18-pin plug on one end / L&R RCAs on other end)
- 8" Remote-in harness (single wire on 18-pin plug)
- iDatalink AR module 18" 4-pin data cable
- 6.5" USB cable (Type-A to micro-B)
- 2 Allen keys (4mm & 2.5mm)
- Four 16mm screws
- Instruction manual
- Additional connection document
- Warranty information
- Maestro AR Quickstart guide
Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
75 x 6 |
75 x 2
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 6|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 3|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-50k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||81%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||95 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||31-19.9k Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||6, 12, 18, 24 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||31-19.9k Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||6, 12, 18, 24 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Preamp Outputs||2 pair|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP is a special application 6-channel amplifier with a built-in 32-bit/192kHz DSP that is designed to replace the factory amplifier in vehicles with premium amplified audio systems. When combined with the included iDatalink ADS-AR interface module, the amplifier receives a true, clean stereo signal from the existing OEM radio, while the Maestro AR module translates all of the CAN-Bus communication from the radio to the amplifier. iDatalink T-harnesses (sold separately) are required for installation with a factory radio, enabling you to connect the amp and the Maestro AR to the factory radio without cutting wires. T-harnesses are currently available for many Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, Jeep, Lexus, Maserati, RAM, Subaru, and Toyota premium factory audio systems. Please check Crutchfield's Vehicle Guide for the right installation parts for your vehicle. An RCA input adapter is also included if installing the XR600-DSP with an aftermarket radio. Through the use of a dedicated application and your smartphone, you can set up and fine tune the vehicle's premium audio system with the amp and Maestro AR interface.
Note: The XR600-6DSP can only be used with the iDatalink Maestro ADS-AR interface.
Note: The Maestro ADS-AR interface requires vehicle-specific programming before installation. This must be downloaded and performed on a PC (Mac not supported) using the iDatalink Maestro Weblink Plugin found here.
Rated Output Power: The XR600-6DSP has the following power output specifications:
- 75 watts x 6 channels at 4Ω (20 Hz-20 kHz, ≤1.0 % THD)
- 100 watts x 6 channels at 2Ω (1 kHz, ≤1.0 % THD)
- 200 watts x 3 channels (1&2, 3&4, 5&6) at 4Ω (1 kHz, ≤1.0 % THD, Bridged)
Digital Signal Processor (DSP): The built-in 32-bit/192 kHz DSP gives you the flexibility to independently set the function and equalization of the various speakers in your factory system. The 6-channel DSP offers a 13-band graphic equalizer with presets, a 3-band parametric equalizer, digital time alignment, and a digital crossover.
Kenwood DSP Control App: Using the Kenwood DSP Control App on your smartphone or tablet, you can connect to the amplifier via Bluetooth, and perform the initial audio setup. You can assign the six powered output channels and the four preamp output channels to the speakers in your vehicle, and to any optional amps or subwoofers you may have. Any pairs of channels can be designated for bridging through the app. The app lets you perform Digital Time Alignment (individually for 10 channels), set the Graphic EQ (for 5 stereo pairs) and Parametric EQ (10 channels), and the crossover (for 5 stereo pairs). The app also includes independent volume controls for all 10 channels. Once initial setup has been completed, the Kenwood DSP Control app features 2 modes for operation, User and Pro:
- Pro Mode: Gives access to all parameters for adjustment.
- User Mode: Designed for ease-of-use, User mode offers the 3 most
commonly used features:
- Position Setting: Lets you select a desired listening position in the vehicle.
- Preset Equalizer: Includes 7 Preset EQ curves based off of music type: Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, and Powerful.
- Woofer Level Control: Gives quick access to subwoofer level control.
App sound adjustments (Pro Mode) include the following:
- Digital Time Alignment:
- Listening Position Preset: All, Front Right, Front Left, Front All
- Individual Settings for Channels 1 through 10:
- Delay: 0 to 610 cm or 0 to 20.01 feet
- Gain: 0 to -10dB (0.5dB increments)
- 13-band Graphic Equalizer:
- Bands: 62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4.0kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, 16kHz
- Gain: +9.0dB to -9.0dB (0.5dB increments)
- 3-band Parametric Equalizer:
- Center Frequency: 44Hz to 19.9kHz
- Q: 0.4, 0.8, 1.4, 2.0, 4.0, 8.0
- Gain: -20.0dB to +6.0dB
- Crossover (Ch 1/2, Ch 3/4, Ch 5/6, Ch 7/8, Ch 9/10):
- Type: LPF (low-pass) / HPF (high-pass)
- Center Frequency: 31Hz to 19.9kHz (1/6 octave increments), Through
- Butterworth: -6dB/oct, -12dB/oct, -18dB/oct, -24dB/oct
- Linkwitz-Riley: -12dB/oct, -24dB/oct
- Gain: 0dB to -8.0dB (0.5dB increments)
- Phase: Normal / Reverse
- Presets: Memory 1, Memory 2, Memory 3, Memory 4
- Inputs: Left channel / Right channel: 0% to 100%
- Outputs: (independent for Channels 1 through 10): 0% to 100%
Note: There are NO audio controls on the chassis of the amplifier. All configuration and settings must be done through the Kenwood DSP Control app using a Bluetooth connection.
Connections: The Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP's connections are all located on one side of the amplifier to give you a clean installation. The power and speaker set screw terminals are adjustable from the top of the amp, behind a removable plate. A 4mm Allen wrench is supplied for removing the plate, and a 2.5mm Allen wrench is supplied for tightening and loosening the power and speaker set screws. The amp has the following connections:
- Fuses: Two 40A ATC fuses
- Power (Batt.) / Ground: Set screw terminals are
provided for the power and ground cables. The terminals will accept up to 4
AWG cable (recommended). A separate 80A fuse should be placed on the power
cable approximately 18" from the battery.
- Note: Because the XR600-6DSP is more powerful than the factory amp, a 4-gauge power wire should be run directly to the battery, and another 4-gauge wire used to ground the amp.
- Speaker Outputs: Set screw terminals are provided for 6 speakers. The terminals will accept 16 AWG to 8 AWG speaker wire. Speaker wire will need to be run from the amp to each speaker location in the vehicle, or spliced to the factory speaker wiring at the output of the factory amplifier.
- Line Outputs: The 4 gold-plated RCA line outputs (Ch 7, 8, 9, 10) allow you to connect additional amplifiers or powered subwoofers to your sound system. The gold-plated connectors are non-corrosive, and have a lower contact resistance, which results in better frequency response, lower distortion, wider dynamic range, and improved signal-to-noise.
- iDatalink Cable: This proprietary 4-pin terminal is for connecting the data control cable from the iDatalink Maestro AR module. This terminal receives the volume, fader, and balance commands from the factory radio through the Maestro AR.
- Universal Input Harness: The vehicle-specific Universal Input Harness, made by ADS (sold separately), plugs between the vehicle's factory wiring, the Maestro AR module, and the XR600-6DSP. The harness carries the audio and data signals from the factory radio, and plugs into the amplifier's 18-pin terminal. A 13' extension cable comes with the amplifier in case the Universal Input Harness cable is not long enough.
Note: The 13' braided extension cable included in the box plugs between the vehicle-specific ADS harness and the Maestro AR module, should the ADS harness not be long enough.
Rear Panel: There is a 2-way switch that allows you to select the Operation Mode (A or B). A Type A USB port on the back of the amplifier is for software updates only. It cannot play audio files or charge any device. In case the amplifier does not perform properly, you can reset the amplifier using a pointed object.
Fan Cooled: The Kenwood XR600-6DSP includes a thermally-activated fan on one side of the amp, with corresponding vents on the other side, providing through-chassis air flow.
The Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP replaces these items
- 200 watts RMS x 3 bridged at 4 ohms
- Kenwood DSP Control App via Bluetooth
- requires an iDatalink Maestro AR amplifier replacement module and a vehicle-specific harness (sold separately) for connections and controls
1 question already asked