About the Kenwood Excelon XM302-4
You'll get big power out of this tiny all-weather amp
You'll get big power out of this tiny all-weather amp
Need power, but lack space in your boat or off-road vehicle? Kenwood's Excelon XM302-4 four-channel powersports/marine amplifier delivers 50 watts RMS per channel, yet still fits almost anywhere in your vehicle. Switch this amp over to bridged, 2-channel mode, and you can power a pair of high-performance speakers or subs with 150 watts RMS each. In 3-channel mode, you can use the amp's front channels to drive a pair of speakers with 50 watts each, and bridge the rear channels to send 150 watts to a sub. This versatility pays off as your system evolves over time.
High-and low-pass filters let you optimize the sound for your vehicle and speakers. When you're running a subwoofer with the rear channels, you can adjust a bass boost to get just the right tone to fit your musical tastes.
Convenient weather-proof technology
Conformal coating protects the internal circuits from water and dirt, so the show will always go on, even through the roughest conditions on road, trail, or waterway. Class D technology ensures that this compact amp will run cool and perform reliably. The amp accepts input signals from a receiver's RCA outputs or speaker wiring, so it'll work with almost any audio system. If you do use the speaker-level inputs, the amp can sense the signal and turn itself on, so you won't need to run a separate remote turn-on lead to the receiver or fuse box.
- 4-channel powersports/marine amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
- 75 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
- 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms
- Class D amp technology
- variable high- and low-pass filters (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost on B channels (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
- conformal-coated circuit boards — suitable for powersports and marine applications
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- fuse rating: 20A x 2
- 8-7/16"W x 2-1/8"H x 6"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XM302-4
What's in the box:
Kenwood Excelon XM302-4 owner's manual
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Two 20-amp ATC fuses (installed)
- Terminal cover (installed)
- Control panel cover (installed)
- 4 RCA input covers (installed)
- Speaker level input port cover (installed)
- 7" Speaker level input harness
- Four 5/8" Screws
- Instruction manual (English/ French/ Spanish)
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Kenwood Excelon XM302-4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||50 x 4|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||85 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||150 x 4|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
CTA-2006 Compliant: CTA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz (for full range amplifiers), with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N). Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CTA-2006 standards allow consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers under the same conditions (apples to apples).
- Power Output: 50 watts RMS x 4 into 4Ω
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 85 dBA (measured at 1 watt into 4Ω)
Other Specifications: (not using the CTA-2006 criteria)
- Power Output:
- 2Ω: 75 watts RMS x 4 (at 1 kHz, 14.4 volts, ≤1.0% THD)
- Bridged: 150 watts RMS x 2 (into 4Ω, at 1 kHz, 14.4 volts, ≤1.0% THD)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power output)
Channel Layout: The 4-channel amplifier is effectively two full range 2-channel amps (labeled A and B) built into one chassis. Both the A and B channels are bridgeable, so it can be wired as 4-channel, 3-channel, or 2-channel.
Class D Amplifier Design: The amplifier design is Class D, which uses digital switching power supplies. The result is a more efficient amplifier, generating less heat than Class AB amps of equal power. The Class D design also allows the amplifier to be built on a small chassis, and installed where space is limited.
Signal Sensing: The amplifier has a signal-sensing turn-on circuit on the speaker level input. When a signal (up to 50 watts) is detected on the speaker level inputs, the amplifier will automatically power on. When the signal is no longer detected, the amp will turn off. This allows you to install the amplifier without a remote turn-on lead if the speaker level input is used.
Controls: The XM302-4 features independent controls for the A and B channels:
- Input Sensitivity: The Input Sensitivity controls let you match the amplifier input to the preamp output level of the source unit. The rotary controls are continuously variable from 200mV (0.2V) to 5V, with markings at 0.2V, 0.3V, 0.5V, 1V, 2V, 3V, 4V, and 5V.
- Selectable Crossovers: The crossovers can be set to high-pass, low-pass, or off (full range). Each crossover's slope is 12dB/octave and the crossover points are continuously variable from 50-200 Hz.
- Bass Boost (B channels only): The Bass Boost increases the bass signal of the B channels, centered at 40Hz. The rotary control is variable from 0dB to 18 dB.
- Line In: The XM302-4 has two pair of line level RCA inputs, A and B. The amp will accept a signal between 200mV and 5V.
- Power/Ground/Remote Turn-on: The amplifier has screw terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on, and will accommodate spade connectors. The power and ground terminals are 0.55" wide and the remote turn-on terminal is 0.34" wide.
- Speaker Output: Four pair of screw terminals are provided for connecting the speakers. The terminals are 0.34" wide, and accommodate spade connectors. The amplifier is designed for a 4Ω load, but can can handle a 2Ω load.
- Speaker Level Input: When an RCA line level signal is not available, use the included 7" speaker level input harness.
- Fuses: Two 20-amp ATC fuses are installed in the amplifier. With the 40-amp fuse rating, an 8-gauge amplifier wiring kit is recommended with a 40-amp (minimum) marine grade fuse installed next to the battery.
- Input Covers: The RCA and speaker level inputs have covers installed; you should leave the cover in place for the unused inputs.