About the Kenwood Excelon XR401-4
Super-slim profile, big-time power
Super-slim profile, big-time power
Clean power can transform a mediocre sound system into a great one. Kenwood's Excelon Reference Series XR401-4 4-channel amplifier will add clarity and punch to your sound, as it powers each of your front and rear speakers with 75 watts RMS. If you're adding bass first, you can use the amp in 2-channel mode to drive a couple of subwoofers with up to 200 watts RMS each. Then later you can switch the amp over to your main speakers when you get a sub amp. The XR401-4 can fit in many different places in your car because of its incredibly low profile — it's under 1-1/2" tall.
This Excelon Reference Series amplifier has ultra-high-frequency response up to 40,000 Hz, reproducing sounds that help define audio tone and space even though beyond the range of hearing. Fix this amp up with a nice set of Kenwood high-res Reference Series speakers, and you can enjoy the extended detail and powerful musical imaging of your high-res FLAC or DSD files.
Designed for optimum efficiency
Kenwood packed this amp with space-saving features. Class D technology reduces the size of the power supply, while the internal heatsink is tilted to reduce height without compromising the amp's cooling system. Recessed power and speaker wire terminals help to further reduce the amp's footprint, protect the connections, and give your installation a neat, professional look.
Controls for the best sound — especially for active systems
You can contour the sound with high- and low-pass filters so your speakers play efficiently and sound their best. The front and rear channels feature separate gain and filter controls so you can adjust for different types of speakers. The front and rear crossovers also include high-frequency settings that are perfect for tuning tweeters and woofers to sound great in 2-way active systems.
- 4-channel amplifier
- 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- Class-D amp design — frequency response: 20-40,000 Hz
- variable low- and high-pass filters (50-200 Hz or 2.5k-10k Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- preamp inputs only
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- 8-11/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 7"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XR401-4
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Two 30-amp ATM mini blade fuses (installed)
- Wired Remote Commander
- Flat washer
- Hex nut
- 20' Remote cable (RJ-14 modular plugs on each end)
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Four 5/8" Self-tapping screws
- Instruction manual (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Warranty card
Kenwood Excelon XR401-4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon XR401-4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
75 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-40k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||76 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 or 2.5k-10k|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 or 2.5k-10k|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
CTA-2006 Compliant: CTA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, when applicable. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CTA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Using CTA-2006 criteria, the Kenwood XR401-4 is rated at 75 watts RMS x 4 with a 76 dBA signal to noise ratio.
Specifications: The manual also lists these non CTA-2006 compliant specifications:
- Full Range: 100 watts x 4 channels (into 2Ω at 1 kHz, with no more than 1% THD, 14.4 volts)
- Bridged: 200 watts x 2 channels (into 4Ω at 1 kHz, with no more than 1% THD, 14.4 volts)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power)
Class D Amplifier Design: The amplifier design is Class D, which uses digital switching power supplies. The result is much higher efficiency (less heat generated) than Class AB.
High-Resolution Audio Compatible: The XR401-4 is compatible with Hi-Res Audio sources which are capable of reproducing frequencies up to 40kHz. Special capacitors and inductors in the amp's LC filter help to reduce noise and distortion to enhance the sound quality. High resolution audio, with sampling frequencies up to 192khz/24-bit, exceeds CD standards (44.1kHz/16-bit), allowing you to hear much more detail and richness in the music.
4-Channel Design: The XR401-4 is made up of two full range stereo amps (labeled A and B, typically used to power front and rear speakers). The front and rear amps are independently bridgeable, meaning the XR401-4 can be used as a 4-channel, 3-channel, or 2-channel amp. The minimum impedance for each section is 2Ω (4Ω when bridged).
Crossovers: The front and rear amplifier sections have independent crossover controls with selectable frequency ranges. The front and rear crossovers can be set to low-pass, high-pass, or turned off (full range). The crossover point for each is continuously variable from 50 to 200 Hz (low range) or from 2.5kHz to 10kHz (high range). The crossover slope is 12dB per octave.
Bi-amplification Mode: With the customizable crossovers, the XR401-4 allows you to bi-amplify a component speaker system. In a bi-amplifier system, the tweeters are driven by the "front" channels with the crossovers set to high pass, and the woofers driven by the "rear" channels with the crossovers set to low pass. Both crossover frequencies are set in the high frequency range (2.5kHz to 10kHz). This configuration lets you independently control the volume of the tweeters and woofers, and set the crossover points as needed.
Aluminum Heat Sink: The aluminum heat sink increases the amplifier's heat dissipation efficiency, increasing the life of the amplifier.
S/N Ratio: A specialized feedback circuit in the amplifier has reduced the noise level by up to 40%, enhancing the Signal-to-Noise Ratio to 100dB at rated power. The internal circuitry is divided into three sections: analog, digital, and power supply sections. Separating these circuits greatly reduces interference between them, thus, noise is decreased and performance and sound quality are increased.
Wired Remote Control: The XR401-4 includes a wired remote control with a 20-foot cable that allows you to adjust the volume of the rear channels from the cabin of the vehicle.
Speaker Level Inputs: In addition to line level inputs, the XR401-4 is capable of accepting the output for a factory-installed head unit up to 50 watts (peak). The amplifier detects the input signal (or lack of one) and will automatically turn the power on or off when the head unit is turned on or off. When connecting the speaker level input, it is not necessary to connect a power control wire (remote turn-on). Connection can be made by splicing a male RCA connector onto the speaker wire, or by using an aftermarket adapter (such as Kicker's KiSL or Rockford Fosgate's RFIF2SW).
- Input Sensitivity: 0.2V-5V; front and rear channels are independently adjustable
- Crossover: the front and rear
channels have independent controls for these crossover functions:
- Mode: the front and rear crossovers can be set to low-pass, high-pass or off (full range)
- Frequency Range and Frequency: you can independently choose the frequency range of the front and rear crossovers: Low (50-200Hz) or High (2.5kHz-10kHz)
- Input Selector: 2-way switch: when there is a connection to the rear channel input, select "AB". In this position, you have full fader control from the head unit. When there is no connection to the rear channel input, select "A" and the rear channel input signal is created from the A channel inputs. There is no fader control in this configuration.
Inputs and Outputs:
- Signal Input: two pairs of RCA preamp inputs; front and rear (labeled A, B)
- Power: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 4-gauge
- Ground: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 4-gauge
- Remote Turn-on: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 8-gauge
- Speaker Output: four pairs of set screw terminals (left and right A channels, left and right B channels); accommodate bare wire up to 8-gauge
- Fuses: two 30 amp ATM (mini-blade) fuses
- Remote Control: RJ-14 modular jack for connecting the supplied wired remote control
Note: The Power, Ground, Remote Turn-on, and Speaker Output terminals are hidden under a removable panel. The supplied 2.5mm and 4mm Allen wrenches are needed to remove the panel and tighten/loosen the set screws.
The Kenwood Excelon XR401-4 replaces these items
- 200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode
- designed for playback of high-res music
- variable low- and high-pass filters
- variable high- and low-pass filters (50-200 Hz; 2.5K-10k Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode
- Class-D design
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked