About the Kenwood Excelon XR900-5
Super-slim profile, big-time power
Super-slim profile, big-time power
Car amps have come a long way. Kenwood's Excelon XR900-5 car amplifier can power your entire audio system while taking up an astonishingly small amount of space — it's about the size of a piece of computer paper, and it stands only 2" tall. But this compact 5-channel workhorse will send 60 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers, along with up to 600 watts RMS to your subs. You could also use the XR900-5 in 3-channel mode to drive a pair of high-performance speakers or components with 150 watts RMS each, while still feeding 600 watts RMS to your sub.
Designed for optimum efficiency
Kenwood packed this amp with space-saving features. Class D technology reduces the size of the power supply, while the internal heatsink is tilted to reduce height without compromising the amp's cooling system. Recessed power and speaker wire terminals help to further reduce the amp's footprint, protect the connections, and give your installation a neat, professional look.
Controls for the best sound
You can contour the sound with high- and low-pass filters so your full-range speakers play efficiently and sound their best. The front and rear channels have separate gain and filter controls so you can adjust for different types of speakers. The subwoofer channel features its own low-pass filter that'll send the correct frequencies to your sub and enclosure, with an adjustable bass boost that adds some low-end punch when you want it.
- 5-channel amplifier
- 60 watts RMS x 4 + 400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 75 watts RMS x 4 + 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms
- CEA-2006 compliant
- variable high- and low-pass filters on front and rear channels (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter on subwoofer channel (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- Class-D amplifier design
- cooling fan
- frequency response: 20-20k Hz
- preamp inputs
- fuse rating: 40A x 3
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 10-1/4"W x 2"H x 8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XR900-5
What's in the box:
- 5-Channel amplifier
- Three 40-amp ATO fuses (installed)
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 2mm Allen wrench
- Four 5/8" Self-tapping screws
- Instruction manual (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Warranty card
More details on the Kenwood Excelon XR900-5
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4 |
400 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||78 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, when applicable. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CEA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Using CEA-2006 criteria, the Kenwood XR900-5 is rated at 60 watts RMS x 4 plus 400 watts RMS x 1 (subwoofer) with a 78 dBA signal to noise ratio.
Specifications: The manual also lists these non CEA-2006 compliant specifications:
- Full Range: 75 watts x 4-channels (into 2Ω at 1 kHz, with no more than 1% THD, 14.4 volts)
- Subwoofer: 600 watts x 1-channel (into 2Ω at 100 Hz, with no more than 1% THD, 14.4 volts)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power)
Class D Amplifier Design: The amplifier design is Class D, which uses digital switching power supplies. The result is much higher efficiency (less heat generated) than Class AB.
5-Channel Design: The XR900-5 is made up of three sections, two full range stereo amps (labeled A and B, typically used to power front and rear speakers) and a subwoofer amp (1-channel). The front and rear amps are independently bridgeable, meaning the XR900-5 can be used as a 5-channel, 4-channel, or 3-channel amp. The minimum impedance for each section is 2Ω, 4Ω when bridged.
Crossovers: The front, rear, and subwoofer amplifier sections have independent crossover controls. The front and rear crossovers can be set to high-pass or turned off (full range). The subwoofer crossover is low-pass only and cannot be bypassed. The crossover point for each is continuously variable from 50 to 200 Hz. The high-pass crossover slope is 12dB per octave and the low-pass crossover slope is 24dB per octave.
Bass Boost: The bass boost circuit for the subwoofer section is centered at 40 Hz; boost is variable from 0 to +18 dB.
Aluminum Heat Sink: The aluminum heat sink increases the amplifier's heat dissipation efficiency, increasing the life of the amplifier.
- Input Sensitivity: 200mV-5V; front, rear, and sub independently adjustable
- Crossover: the front, rear, and subwoofer
channels have independent controls for these crossover functions:
- Mode: the front and rear crossovers can be set to high-pass or off (full range)
- Frequency: each section is continuously variable; 50-200 Hz
- Bass Boost: 0-18 dB; continuously variable (subwoofer section only)
Inputs and Outputs:
- Signal Input: three pair of RCA preamp inputs; front, rear, and subwoofer (labeled A, B, and Sub)
- Power: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 4-gauge
- Ground: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 4-gauge
- Remote Turn-on: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 10-gauge
- Speaker Output: five pair of set screw terminals (left and right A channels, left and right B channels, and sub); accommodate bare wire up to 10-gauge
- Fuses: three 40 amp ATO fuses
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
9 questions already asked