About the Pioneer MVH-AV290BT
Bluetooth® is just the beginning
Bluetooth® is just the beginning
Bring the wonders of wireless entertainment to your car with this sleek touchscreen digital media receiver. Pioneer's MVH-AV290BT digital multimedia receiver gives you Bluetooth connectivity, outstanding sound, brilliant video, and even a rear-view camera input.
More media, less wiring
Bluetooth is a wonderful thing. You can enjoy safe, smart hands-free calling, plus you can access to the media on your smartphone. You can crank tunes from your own digital library, catch up on news, podcasts, or check out a cool new playlist The beauty of Bluetooth is that you can do all of this without messing around with aux inputs and cables. You can also control your tunes using the 6.2" touchscreen.
Plug in and rock out
If you enjoy your music from other sources, you can plug a device into the AUX input, or connect your iPod®, iPhone® or other device to the USB input. While the car is parked and the parking brake is engaged, you can view video from an outboard video player or that's stored on a USB drive. You can also send the video to rear seat screens (sold separately) so your passengers will have something to watch while you drive.
All your digital music will sound terrific on the MVH-AV290BT, thanks to a built-in MOSFET amplifier. The 5-band equalizer brings out the best in any genre of music, and if you want to bring even more punch to your system, you can connect an amp or powered sub to the two sets of preamp outputs.
Add a backup cam
You can also connect a rear-view camera to the MVH-AV290BT and see what's behind you when you're backing up. If you have a big SUV or any vehicle with complicated sightlines, that's a big safety feature in driveways and crowded parking lots.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- digital multimedia receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- optional remote control
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices through Bluetooth
- video playback from an external source or USB drive
- high- and low-pass filters
- 5-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- inputs: rear A/V input, rear USB input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MVH-AV290BT
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver w/ integrated 6.2" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- 58" USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13' cable termianted by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (US/Canada)
More details on the Pioneer MVH-AV290BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.2" LCD Touchscreen: The MVH-AV290BT features a 6.2" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a connected component; such as an iPod/iPhone, USB mass storage class device, or Bluetooth. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the MVH-AV290BT's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), hue (adjust color tone), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Front-Panel Controls: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen with blue illumination. Controls included Eject, Volume Mute, Source, Display, Previous/Next Track, and Fast Forward/Reverse.
Dimmer: The receiver's touchscreen display & button illumination can be dimmed manually, automatically or via a timer. You can set the unit's LCD touchscreen & button illumination to automatically dim when your vehicle's headlights are turned on (this function requires that the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is hardwired to the vehicle's headlight circuit). You can also set a specific time and duration for unit's LCD & button illumination to dim.
Remote Control: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT digital media receiver supports Pioneer's IR remotes (sold separately) and is steering wheel remote compatible (adapter required).
- Optional Wireless Remote: The MVH-AV290BT is compatible with Pioneer's CD-R55 wireless remote control or CD-SR100 steering-wheel mount IR remote (both sold separately).
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle.
Note: The receiver must be installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
Bluetooth Technology: The MVH-AV290BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer MVH-AV290BT.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the MVH-AV290BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit, but only one device can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The MVH-AV290BT allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the MVH-AV290BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Phone Call: During an incoming call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Dialing a Phone Number: The Pioneer receiver offers a
variety of ways to make a call.
- Entering a Phone Number: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. You can scroll through your phonebook's contact list, make a selection, and dial the number using the receiver's touchscreen.
- Call Log: The most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device.
- Advanced Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the MVH-AV290BT lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info Display: The head unit will also display your music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call
USB Mass Storage Class Device Compatible: The unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB port enables playback & control of a variety of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer MVH-AV290BT.
- Folder & File Browsing: From the head unit's touchscreen you can search through your USB device's music folders & music files by name (folders/files are listed in the order you have them on the USB device).
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The unit will display your USB music file's song/artist information along with album art.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB, will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The head unit's USB port does not support newer Android smartphones with Ice Cream, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, or newer operating systems.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files loaded onto an inserted USB device.
|Media Type||USB (MSC)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling frequency
of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps; sampling frequency of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling frequency of 8-8kHz
WAV: bit depth of 8/16-bits; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
resolution of 720 pixels x 480 pixels (30fps) |
MP4: maximum resolution of 720 pixels x 480 pixels (30fps)
MOV: maximum resolution of 720 pixels x 480 pixels (30fps)
|Photo||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||300 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port. If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, use Pioneer's Lightning-to-USB cable (130CDIU52, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device. If you have an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin connector, simply use the dock-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device. The head unit supports music playback, music browsing & control, song/artist info display, and battery charging.
- Head Unit Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, the music or video content is listed alphabetically. You can also control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat functions from the head unit's touchscreen. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music apps. However, older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: In addition, the head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. It will also display song/artist information of select music apps (not all apps will be compatible).
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/29/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback, the Pioneer MVH-AV290BT is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the MVH-AV290BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
Rear Speaker Setup: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
2V/4CH Preouts + Sub Control: The Pioneer MVH-AV290BT features two pair of 2.0-volt preouts (Front & Rear/SW). The unit's Rear/SW preouts can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or a non-fading subwoofer output with a low-pass filter, phase adjustment, and output level control.
Crossovers: The MVH-AV290BT employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 5-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 5-band graphic equalizer (100, 315, 1.25k, 3.15k, & 8k Hz).
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
- Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. The beep tone can be turned on or off.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID AM/FM tuner features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 levels of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
AV Input: The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting an external audio/video source device. Your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to watch a video signal.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor, such as rear headrest or overhead monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a USB or AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Rear-View Camera: The MVH-AV290BT is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC8, sold separately). When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 seconds.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
46 questions already asked