About the Pioneer AVH-291BT
Bluetooth® makes your drive time better
Bluetooth® makes your drive time better
I can't remember how I ever got by without Bluetooth in my car. I love answering calls with the touch of a button, and I also enjoy easy wireless access to the media on my smartphone — it's great for catching up to my favorite podcasts, news, or streaming playlists. Pioneer's AVH-291BT DVD receiver will do all this in your vehicle, while it gives you a user-friendly 6.2” touchscreen to access all your entertainment and a lot more.
The AVH-291BT has easy-to-use touchscreen controls.
Keep your tunes on tap
If you enjoy your music from other sources, this receiver covers the bases with CD and DVD playback, an aux input, and iPod® and iPhone® control via USB. You can watch DVDs when the parking brake is engaged, or send the video output to optional rear-seat screens so your passengers can enjoy some video entertainment when you're heading out on a long trip. Add a rear-view camera and you'll get a better view in crowded parking lots or pulling out of the garage.
Sound quality you'll love
The AVH-291BT rocks out with a powerful amplifier, with a versatile 5-band equalizer tames the rough spots in your car's acoustics. If you're looking for a little more punch, connect an amp or powered sub to the two sets of preamp outputs and kick things up a notch.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- three selectable display colors and blue key color
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- optional remote control
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for info)
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- 5-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- digital time alignment
- inputs: rear A/V input, rear USB input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVH-291BT
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ integrated 6.2" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- 58" USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13' cable termianted by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (US/Canada)
- Tag Removal note
Pioneer AVH-291BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer AVH-291BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Clear Resistive Touchscreen: The AVH-291BT features a 6.2" clear resistive LCD touchscreen with a display resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The clear resistive touchscreen is designed to enhance the visibility of on-screen graphics and images, making them appear clear and crisp. The LCD touchscreen allows you to control this unit and a connected component, such as an iPod/iPhone, a USB mass storage class device, or Bluetooth source. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVH-291BT's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- Color Customization: You can choose between 3 display colors - Red, Blue, or Green.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), hue (adjust color tone), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Front-Panel Controls: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen with blue illumination. Controls included Eject, Volume Mute, Source, Display, Previous/Next Track, and Fast Forward/Reverse.
Dimmer: To prevent the touchscreen display and button illumination from being too bright at night, the illumination is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit. You can also turn on or off the dimmer manually. You can even set a timer for the dimmer to turn on or off.
Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-291BT receiver supports Pioneer's IR remotes (sold separately) and is steering wheel remote compatible (adapter required).
- Optional Wireless Remote: The AVH-291BT is compatible with Pioneer's CD-R55 wireless remote control or CD-SR100 steering-wheel mount IR remote (both sold separately).
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Bluetooth Technology: The AVH-291BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVH-291BT.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-291BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit, but only one device can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The AVH-291BT supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVH-291BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVH-291BT allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answer A Call: During an incoming call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Make A Call: Using the AVH-291BT, you can dial a phone
number in one of the following ways.
- Entering a Phone Number: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad (0-9, *, #, +, C).
- Preset Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 1,000 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call Log: The 50 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVH-291BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVH-291BT lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
iPod Direct Connect: The Pioneer AVH-291BT supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port. The AVH-291BT offers audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple iPod/iPhone models. You will need a Lightning-to-USB or dock-to-USB cable to connect your Apple iPod/iPhone device.
- Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- Song/Artist Info: In addition, the head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, and Artist name.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your App device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Note: During connection, older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked, but newer Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen or clickwheel.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-291BT supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 2/16/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Compatible Discs: The AVH-291BT supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with music & video files.
- Off Insert: You can insert a disc with the unit's power off. The receiver will remain off until you press one of the unit's push-buttons.
- Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
- Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-291BT.
USB Mass Storage Class Device Compatible: The unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVH-291BT. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The head unit's USB port does not support Android devices or USB hubs.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-291BT supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or inserted USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW/-R DL)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320 kbps; sampling frequency of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling frequency of 8-44.1kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling frequency of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps; sampling frequency of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling frequency of 8-8kHz
WAV: bit depth of 8/16-bits; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG-4: maximum resolution of 720 pixels x 480
pixels (30fps) |
DivX: maximum resolution of 720 pixels x 576 pixels (4GB Max file size)
maximum resolution of 720 pixels x 480 pixels (30fps) |
MP4: maximum resolution of 720 pixels x 480 pixels (30fps)
MOV: maximum resolution of 720 pixels x 480 pixels (30fps)
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
|300 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
File/Track Name List: The Name List feature displays a list of music, movie, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a connected USB device, so you can easily access your content.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from disc and USB, the Pioneer AVH-291BT is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: The Pioneer AVH-291BT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVH-291BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
Rear Speaker Setup The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
2V/4CH Preouts + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVH-291BT features two pair of 2.0-volt preouts (Front & Rear/SW). The unit's Rear/SW preouts can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or a non-fading subwoofer output with a low-pass filter, phase adjustment, and output level control.
Crossovers: The AVH-291BT employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 5-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 5-band graphic equalizer (100, 315, 1.25k, 3.15k, & 8k Hz).
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
- Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. The beep tone can be turned on or off.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID AM/FM tuner features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
AV Input: The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting an external audio/video device. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the AV input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor, such as rear headrest or overhead monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a DVD, USB, or AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Rear-View Camera: The AVH-291BT is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC8, sold separately). The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds.
The Pioneer AVH-291BT replaces these items
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices
- 5-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
22 questions already asked