About the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Package
Powerful and practical
Powerful and practical
This package's AVH-4200NEX DVD receiver puts the built-in features and cloud-based services of Pioneer's "Network Entertainment Experience" (NEX) at your fingertips — connect your smartphone or tablet to the receiver and enjoy familiar apps and smooth interfaces when you're in the car. And Pioneer puts the touchscreen display to use for practical matters as well, by including a Pioneer ND-BC8 rear-view camera in the package. I call that driving smart — whether it's enjoying my favorite music apps, navigation, or simply backing up safely in a tight parking lot.
This Pioneer supports CarPlay —it integrates your iPhone® into the driving experience with a seamless interface, putting iPhone content at the driver's fingertips with minimal distraction. You'll enjoy easy access to your music library, your phone, messages, navigation, and many third party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay. As an added bonus, you can access Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the receiver's touchscreen, using your voice to place calls, select music, hear notification, add reminders — even compose and listen to text messages.
If you're an Android fan, you'll love how Android Auto integrates the Android platform into your driving experience in a non-distracting way. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
Custom looks and interface
Customize the touchscreen to create your own custom home page by moving icons around to create shortcuts to your favorite sources and apps. And you've got a choice of colors and backgrounds that'll let you tailor the look to match your vehicle, too. Video content plays in bright, clear detail when you're parked, and when you're on the road, you can entertain your passengers by sending a movie from the receiver to a rear-seat screen.
AppRadioLIVE offers a clean interface for music, nav, weather, and more.
AppRadio mode and AppRadioLIVE
If you're looking to have even more apps at your fingertips, consider the cool features Pioneer's AppRadio mode and AppRadioLIVE offer. You can pick and choose from a bevy of iPhone compatible apps to launch and control from the face of your receiver with AppRadio mode. You can see the latest compatible apps here. And the AppRadioLIVE app lets you sync many popular apps and services into a single, easy-to-use interface, giving you easy control over maps, media, news, and calendars.
Hi-Res music and more
You can enjoy all your CDs, DVDs, discs full of MP3 or WMA music, SD cards, or USB storage devices loaded with files. Into sound quality? You'll be stoked that the AVH-4200NEX supports FLAC file playback, for compression-free CD-quality sound when you're cruising down the highway. You can connect your iPod® or iPhone to one of the receiver's two rear USB inputs and use the receiver's controls to access your playlists, with tools like Alphabet Search and Link Search to help you zero in on the song you want. Android users — you'll be able to browse and play back the music that's stored on many Android phones.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
This Pioneer offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). The module lets you keep factory features in your Chrysler, Ford, GM, Toyota, Fiat, or VW vehicle that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out expanded functionality on the Pioneer's screen, including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure and temperature monitors.
Radio that's more
The built-in HD Radio tuner delivers crystal-clear FM and AM reception. If you're a fan of streaming Internet radio, you can take charge of your Pandora® account from the touchscreen, complete with thumbs-up and thumbs-down controls. For an outstanding variety of music, news, sports, and talk programming, you can also connect an optional SiriusXM satellite radio tuner. This NEX receiver will even display album art from the satellite feed.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
If you currently use AppRadio Mode, Pioneer has found that it won't work with iOS 11. They're working on an update, so you may want to keep iOS 10 until that fix is available.
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- Pioneer ND-BC8 backup camera included
- detachable 7" motorized touchscreen with multi-angle adjustments
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- five customizable display colors and 112 key panel illumination choices
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility):
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- Android Auto compatible
- AppRadio Mode for smartphone integration
- AppRadioLIVE compatible with free Pioneer app
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices
- Siri Hands Free compatible with compatible iPhones
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, SD cards, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from flash media
- 13-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- dual-zone audio
- Auto-EQ equalizes for your car interior automatically (optional mic required)
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- optional navigation module
- inputs: two rear A/V inputs, two rear USB inputs, HDMI input, dual rear-view camera inputs
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro
- retains factory features for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Fiat, Toyota, and VW
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVH-4201NEX
What's in the box:
- Pioneer AVH-4200NEX:
- DVD receiver (10A fuse)
- Detchable 6.95" touchscreen monitor (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 58" USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Face-fixing screw
- Carrying case
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- "CarPlay" notice
- "LCD touchscreen" note
- "Caution" note
- Notes on Using a USB Type-C Phone
- "Correction of Errors in the Manual" sheet
- Pioneer ND-BC8:
- Rear-view camera w/ bracket (attached 9' power/video cable)
- 23' Backup camera harness
- 6 Self-adhesive clamps
- Rubber wedge
- Owner's Manual
Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Package reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Package
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB. SD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC,FLAC,WAV|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
CarPlay & Android Auto
AppRadio + AppRadioLive
iPod/iPhone Music Playback
Audio & DSP Section
AV + OEM Connectivity
Motorized 6.95" Clear Resistive LCD Touchscreen: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX features a 6.95" clear resistive LCD touchscreen with a display resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The clear resistive panel is designed to enhance the visibility of on-screen graphics and images, making them appear clear and crisp. The LCD touchscreen allows you to control this unit and a connected component - such as an iPod/iPhone, Android smartphone, a USB MSC device, or Bluetooth source. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's 6.95" touchscreen display is motorized and electronically slides down to load/eject your DVD/CD discs. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVH-4201NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Home Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB or SD/SDHC device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit. You can also manually dim the display.
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Detachable Face Security: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX's 6.95" touchscreen monitor can be detached from the chassis to deter theft (soft carrying case included). You can also enter a 5 to 16 character password that must be entered if the head unit is disconnected from power.
Variable Illumination: The AVH-4201NEX offers custom illumination for the front-panel controls so you can match your vehicle's interior, plus MIXTRAX Illumination for DJ-style illumination in your vehicle.
- Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
- MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. Choose among multiple patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes.
Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Apple CarPlay: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX features Apple CarPlay, the smarter and safer way to use your iPhone in the car. The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX supports Apple CarPlay through your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning connector. Your iPhone can be connected to the NEX-series head unit's USB-1 port via the included USB extension cable and a Lightning-to-USB cable. Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, and access messages through Siri voice control and the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Apple continues to add more apps to CarPlay. Current supported apps include (fees may apply) -
- Use the included USB extension cable and an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB extension cable (not included) for connection. Any other USB extension cable or non-certified cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
Android Auto: The Pioneer NEX receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the NEX receiver's rear-panel USB port via the included USB extension cable and your phone's USB cable, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into simple on-screen "card-style" pop-ups that appear just when they're needed. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include:
- Google Assistant: The Pioneer receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Pioneer NEX receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Pioneer receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable. Click here for more details.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi for CarPlay and Android Auto to function. Access to CarPlay and Android Auto's online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
Smartphone Charging: The Pioneer Receiver's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone or Android smartphone during CarPlay or Android Auto. Your vehicle's ignition switch must be set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the head unit will not recognize it.
AppRadio & AppRadioLive Compatibility: The AVH-4201NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio & AppRadioLive applications through your compatible Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) with Lightning connector or MHL-enabled Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). See below for compatibility and what type of cables are needed.
- Apple iOS Compatibility: Use Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and an HDMI cable (all sold separately) to connect your iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 9.0+) to the AVH-4201NEX's rear-panel USB-1 port and HDMI input. Your iPhone will also require Bluetooth pairing with the Pioneer receiver.
- Android Compatibility: You will need a MHL adapter box,
microUSB-to-HDMI cable, and a microUSB-to-USB cable (all sold separately) to connect your compatible MHL-enabled Android smartphone
(OS 4.0+) to the AVH-4201NEX's rear-panel USB-2 port and HDMI input. Click
here for compatible Android devices. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and
Samsung Note II/III/IV also require an additional Samsung adapter (sold
- The Samsung MHL adapter (EPL-FU10BEBSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II.
- The Samsung HDMI adapter (EPL-3FHUBEGSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note III.
- The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter (ET-H10FAUWESTA, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note IV.
Notes: Your iPhone or Android phone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to these online AppRadio app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. AppRadio apps may not be available in all regions.
AppRadio Mode: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio mode application for iPhone (iOS 7.0-up) with Lightning Connector and select MHL-enabled Android smartphones (OS 4.0+). AppRadio offers full on-screen access and control of your smartphone's music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has also teamed up with various app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app for iPhone & Android consists of a variety of navigation, music, & utility apps. These integrated application are displayed on the AVH-4201NEX's LCD touchscreen. You are able to select, view, and even control many of the apps from the Pioneer receiver. Available apps within AppRadio will depend on your type of smartphone (iPhone or Android) and your region.
- Navigation: The following navigation apps can be utilized within
AppRadio. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Apple & Google Maps: You can view your iPhone or Android smartphone's Apple or Google maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your mobile device.
- Waze: Waze, for iPhone & Android, is a social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX (for iPhone) is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. INRIX Traffic provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- iGO Primo North America: The IGO Primo app (for iPhone) app is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.
- Navmii GPS USA: Navmii GPS USA is a free navigation app (for iPhone & Android) that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search and live search via Google or Microsoft Bing. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of users around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone, so a data connection is not required.
- Driver Assistant: In addition to navigation apps, AppRadio offers
Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication, and vehicle
diagnostic. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- DashCommand: DashCommand (for iPhone & Android) utilizes the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors in your phone to provide advanced features such as the skid pad, race track, and inclinometer. A separate OBD-II interface module (sold separately) is required.
- Extra Mile: Extra Mile (for iPhone & Android) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.
- Beej!: Beej! (for iPhone) is an in-vehicle location/navigation application. Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions or place a call to the selected business.
- Parkopedia: Parkopedia (for iPhone) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.
- TPMS: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) app (for iPhone and Android) automatically monitors pressures and temperatures of tires in real-time. It immediately alerts drivers when there is an abnormal tire pressure through voice alerts and flashing lights.
- Glympse: Glympse (for Android) is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose. When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter, and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device.
- Saving Fuel: Saving Fuel (for iPhone) monitors your acceleration, braking cornering, and idling to gather an overall score for each trip. It scores your driving behavior and car health, as well a give you tips to help you drive safely.
- Music: AppRadio mode
gives you access to music stored on your smartphone device and
from various online music services. Purchase and Subscription fees
may apply for some applications.
- CarMediaPlayer: The CarMediaPlayer app (for iPhone & Android) allows you to swipe and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your Android device's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer. Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- iHeartAuto Radio: The iHeartAuto Radio app (for iPhone & Android) app offers safe, easy, free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.
- Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary Mixtrax app (for iPhone & Android) analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
- 7digital: The 7digital app (for Android) is a leading digital music provider which sells high quality MP3s across 32 countries worldwide. With over 20 million tracks in store, you're sure to find what you're looking for. With this app you can Sync your 7digital music from the cloud to your phone wirelessly, play music that is already stored on your device, and browse top album and track charts, new releases and recommendations right on the screen of this Pioneer DVD receiver.
- StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app (for iPhone) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- gMusic: The Google Music app (for iPhone) allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.
- Stezza: The Stezza app (for iPhone) has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.
- Utility: AppRadio mode
offers additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Contacts & Calendar: Access your contacts on your iPhone or Android phone from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. You can also access your smartphone's calendar; view important events and reminders.
- Photos: View photos stored on your iPhone or Android device. Access albums and camera rolls and even view a slideshow.
- CarBrowser: The CarBrowser app (for iPhone) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Commute WX: The Commute WX app (for iPhone) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.
- Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app (for iPhone) is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.
- EC Touch: The EasyCar app (for iPhone) is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.
- Voice Directory: The Voice Directory app (for Android) is a hands-free app that uses voice to search Yellow Pages' business listings in the US and call the phone number directly. Use voice to search for a business near you or by city and state, to search by business name or business type, or to call the business directly.
- CarKeyboard: The CarKeyboard app (for Android) allows you to input text directly from the 6.95" touchscreen display of the Pioneer head unit. CarKeyboard is a customizable multi-language keyboard that works in conjunction with the AppRadio app and can also be used as the default keyboard on your Android device.
Note: Click here to view complete list of compatible AppRadio apps.
AppRadioLive: Within the AppRadio App mode is the AppRadioLive App for iPhone (iOS 9.0-up) with Lightning connector and select MHL-enabled Android (OS 4.2+) smartphones. The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native maps from your Apple or Android smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as iGO Primo (iPhone only), Navfree (iPhone only), and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account (iPhone only). Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR: The AVH-4201NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing) w/ Dual Phone Connection: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-4201NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices (2 phones/1 audio player) can be paired to this head unit. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The PioneerAVH-4201NEX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVH-4201NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVH-4201NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The AVH-4201NEX offers a variety of
ways to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 800 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing (Siri & Google Voice): When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. It also supports Google Voice for select Android smartphones (not compatible with Samsung "S Voice"). You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVH-4201NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected to an iPhone (iOS 6.1+) with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for Siri Eyes-Free functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
iPhone Music Playback w/ DAC Bypass: If you don't desire CarPlay, AppRadio, or AppRadioLive, the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX also supports music only playback from your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone device through the receiver's USB-1 port (requires a Lightning-to-USB cable or dock-to-USB cable). Your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 96dB. The AVH-4201NEX will playback stored music and music apps on your compatible iPod/iPhone device, provide touchscreen control, and song/artist information display.
Music Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
Note: Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but newer Apple devices (iOS 6.0+) will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen and access apps.
Apple Music Radio: You'll have access to Apple Music Radio from your USB-connected iPhone through the Pioneer DVD receiver. Listen for free to Beats 1, an innovative radio station hosted by the world's best artists and DJs. With an Apple Music Radio subscription, you can explore a wide range of curated radio stations, as well as create stations around your favorite songs or artists. Playback control from the head unit's touchscreen is only offered for Apple Music Radio paid subscribers.
Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The Pioneer receiver supports song/artist information and album art. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art.
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/1/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay|| AppRadio |
|Pandora||Song/Artist||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX using your USB, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, as well as your Bluetooth or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List + Presets: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also store six Pandora Radio preset stations for even easier recall.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Shuffle: You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Pioneer AVH-X4201NEX is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply activate a SiriusXM Radio subscription (fees will apply) and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated port on the rear of the receiver for playback and control of satellite radio. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Channel/Category Lists + Song/Artist/Album Info: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on the display.
- Category Scan + Instant Replay: During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- SmartFavorite Presets + Featured Favorites: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix (see below). Featured Favorites are groups of channels that are created by the SiriusXM Programming department allowing to discover new channels. Featured Favorite channels are dynamic and can change often, allowing you to discover new channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of SmartFavorite presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SmartFavorite preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio or RDS FM broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The AVH-4201NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with video, audio, and photo files.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVH-4201NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1.6A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
SD Card Slot: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX features a hidden SD card slot (located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor) which will accept SD (up to 2GB) and SDHC (up to 32GB) memory cards for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, USB device, or SD memory card.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC, SD/SDHC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 5-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-44.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 192kHz sampling rates
Files: MPEG 1/2/4, DivX |
Max Resolution: 720 x 1280 (MPEG), 720 x 576 (DivX)
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
Files: AVI, ASF, FLV, F4V, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, VOB, 3GP |
Max Resolution: 720 x 480
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Song/Artist Info||MP3I D3 tags, WMA-tags, AAC-tags, & Album Art|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB & SD/SDHC): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB & SD/SDHC memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Search which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Direct DVD Search: During DVD playback, you can go directly to a specific Title or Chapter by entering the number using the unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-X4201NEX.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Pioneer AVH-X4201NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for superb quality audio playback from disc, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Bluetooth.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVH-4201NEX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVH-4201NEX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's variable 6/12/18db per octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features a 6, 12, or 18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a nonstop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and our passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to those in the car. MIXTRAX takes the music from a USB-connected iPod/iPhone or USB MSC device and plays it back with added transitions and effects, creating a virtual DJ inside the Pioneer receiver.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in AppRadio or AppRadioLive mode, with the Pandora App, for CarPlay or Android Auto, and with Bluetooth sources.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
HDMI Input: In addition to AppRadio & AppRadiLive modes for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, DVD/CD, AV, USB-1/iPod, SD, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including HDMI, CarPlay, or Android Auto) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Note: USB/iPod 1 and SD cannot be selected for playback in the rear of the vehicle when CarPlay or Android Auto is active.
Included Backup Camera: The AVH-4201NEX is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input and includes Pioneer's ND-BC8 backup camera that can assist with rear visibility, towing, or parking. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds. Additional rear-view camera features include:
- Parking Assist Guidelines: The unit also provides four on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle.
- Trailer Towing: You can even select for the rear-view camera to stay on at all times, so you can keep an eye on the trailer you are towing.
- Second Camera: In addition, you can turn the unit's AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately).
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Pioneer DVD receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Pioneer receiver to work with select Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system, select GM vehicles with factory OnStar, select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier, select Toyota/Scion vehicles, and select Fiat vehicles.
- Retained Features: The Pioneer DVD receiver lets you retain select factory functions. Retained features will vary by vehicle via the iDatalink Maestro RR. Retained proprietary factory systems can include Ford Sync, GM OnStar, and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect. Other retained factory features may include Steering Wheel Controls, Aux Input, USB Port, Hands-Free Bluetooth, Voice Commands, Satellite Radio, Secondary Display, and more.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR let you configure the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. These extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U280 add-on navigation unit (130AVIC280, sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
The Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Package replaces these items
30 questions already asked