About the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX
Wireless Apple CarPlay® or Android Auto — your choice
Wireless Apple CarPlay® or Android Auto — your choice
Pioneer's AVH-W4500NEX DVD receiver is a switch-hitting smartphone-capable beast, with both wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so you can hit the road without even pausing to plug in your phone. Thanks to Siri Eyes Free, Google VR voice control, and a brilliant 6.94" display, checking out your favorite media a breeze. And this receiver features some cool features like WebLink® and Miracast™ to get even more out of your phone's capabilities. Add an HD Radio™ tuner and Bluetooth®, and you've got a receiver that really covers all the bases.
(Please check the Details tab to ensure your Android device works with wireless Android Auto.)
The AVH-W4500NEX offers an awesome 6.94" display
With Apple CarPlay, your iPhone's content is right at your fingertips. Whether you plug in or go wireless, you'll access navigation, your phone, text messages, and lots of music, both stored and streamed, through simple controls and voice commands. Use an Android? Android Auto organizes media, nav apps, phone/texts, and more in a simple, clean interface with easy to use voice control. Using them is easy — the AVH-W4500NEX links automatically when your Android or iPhone is near.
WebLink and Miracast™
With WebLink, Pioneer provides easy control over select apps like YouTube® and Yelp®. WebLink works with your iPhone, and Android™ compatibility is just around the corner. WebLink teams up with Amazon Alexa for even more easy-to-use functionality when you're behind the wheel. With many Android devices, you can enjoy Miracast™, which lets you mirror your phone's screen on the AVH-W4500NEX's display without a wired connection.
Bluetooth for hands-free streaming and communication
Use the AVH-W4500NEX's Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calls from the road, plus enjoy music, podcasts, and more with wireless streaming audio.
This Pioneer is compatible with high-resolution FLAC files, so you can play high-quality cuts stored on a thumb drive. But whatever your choice of format, the built-in 13-band graphic equalizer, Auto EQ, and Time Alignment let you shape the sonic output to suit your tastes. Use the high- and low-pass crossover's adjustable points and slopes for further adjustments, and engage the Advanced Sound Retriever to create a more realistic sound from compressed music files.
Ready for awesome radio?
This Pioneer's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you enjoy the improved fidelity of participating AM/FM stations broadcasting a digital signal. The AVH-W4500NEX radio also features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription, so you can listen to your chosen channels no matter where you roam.
Add rear and front cameras
You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's near your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. And Pioneer's onscreen parking guidelines help you maneuver into your space. Need to pull up your rear-view camera in a hurry? A dedicated icon in the source menu gives you instant access.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras — and add some upgrades
This Pioneer offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the Pioneer's screen. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.94" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- 5 display colors, 112 key color options
- detachable face
- remote control
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from flash media
- works with wireless and wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- WebLink for in-dash control of select apps, including YouTube and Yelp (Apple only; Android compatibility coming soon)
- Siri Eyes Free control with compatible iOS devices
- Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™ for wireless screen-mirroring of select Android devices
- Pandora control through iPhone and Android
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB drives
- 13-band graphic EQ with Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Auto EQ with Time Alignment (optional CD-MC20 mic required)
- low- and high-pass filters with adjustable crossover points
- Advanced Sound Retriever enhances compressed digital files
- dual-zone A/V output
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner — supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- compatible with Pioneer AVIC-U280 add-on navigation module
- inputs: HDMI input; dual rear USB inputs; 2 rear A/V inputs; two camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite video output
- built-in amplifier (14 watts RMS/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro module
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- works with steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVH-W4500NEX
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver (10A fuse)
- Detchable 6.95" touchscreen monitor (installed)
- Wiring harness
- AV/preout harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- 58" USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Self-adhesive square
- 3 Self-adhesive clips
- Soft face case
- Sticker labels
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- Important Information for the User
- Online Product Registration
- Warranty Sheet
- Apple CarPlay note
- USB Type-C Phone Caution note
Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX reviews
It's great! I'm happy that everything works as it should due to the issues I've had with kenwood recently.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Display The information is smartly organized and attractively displayed. The screen is adequately bright for daytime operation but the glare can be severe if your car's interior or your passenger's clothes are highly reflective. The one HUGE negative here is the screen is still ungodly bright at night. I don't understand why owners aren't able to dim the display all the way to off if they wish. This is a major negative that needs to be addressed in a future firmware update. CarPlay The WiFi connection that wireless CarPlay relies upon crashes with predictable regularity. I now run it exclusively USB tethered and it runs smoothly that way. The battery charge icon for my iPhone is rarely displayed and the phone does not charge so be prepared to arrive at your destination with a depleted battery. I use an Apple USB cable. . Crutchfield tech support has done what they can and involved Pioneer tech support. Pioneer, for their part, just shrugged their shoulders. Not the kind of tech support they should be offering for a nearly $1000 stereo.
Pros: The display information is smartly organized and attractively displayed. Screen is bright enough for most all daytime operations. Lots of features. Quick boot up. Intuitive controls.
Cons: Unreliable WiFi connection makes wireless CarPlay unusable. USB is required. Pioneer tech support absolutely not interested in resolving the issue. Not a wise investment.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Works as expected. Installation documentation was clear and easy to follow.
0 of 0 found this helpful
If it weren't for fact that I already have this unit installed, I would take advantage of the 60 money back guarantee. I paid couple hundred extra for this unit because it was one that had ready harness available and I wanted android auto wireless. I did not know that my phone would not be compatible . When calling tech support to try to get phone to connect wirelessly, was informed by tech that my phone was not supported and that it says it on web page. Turns out it says it on "Overview" page, but you have to click "Keep Reading" in order to see caution to check for compatible phones. I took several days studying this and several receivers before I selected this one. I think that this sentence could be more up front warning those who are thinking they can connect wirelessly to andoid auto before making over $1000 puchase total. Not to mention that previous tech I talked to mentioned nothing about certain phones not being compatible. Also, the reception for radio station sucks. I mean really SUCKS. This is the absolute WORST stereo for picking up radio stations I've ever had. My conversation with the tech today acknowledged that Pioneer has horrible reception and added that if that is something I need, then I need to look into another receiver like a Kenwood or a JVC. Would have been nice to know that before I spent total of 2 weeks waiting for delivery and the time it took for the install.
Cons: Better check android auto wireless requirments first if you are wanting andoid auto wireless. A $50 car stereo can pick up more stations with more clarity than this joke of a unit.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great radio. The wireless carplay works flawlessly for me. I also wired in a mount so have best of both worlds. Sound quality is great, and the features are really good. Only two minor issues prevent me from giving it 5 stars. 1) The volume control is really teeny blade, so not always easy to mess with when you are driving. 2) On a related note the automatic loudness compensation feature doesn't seem to actually work, which matters to me since I'm in a convertible
1 of 1 found this helpful
Best looking unit for a 8th gen Accord! Does everything I was hoping for. Maestro rr will wire up but no harness for 2012 exl
Pros: Expandable with pre amp outputs and 2 camera inputs
Cons: Takes a few times to get used to navigating to unit but easy once your used to it
0 of 0 found this helpful
Works very well with CarPlay Wireless, as others have mentioned it does not seem to support Android Wireless on any non-Google devices (Bluetooth works fine). The head unit can take a bit to boot up and I have had a time or two where the steering wheel controls did not work at first. Overall if you want wireless CarPlay, this the unit for you. Install was fairly straight forward and worked without modifying my Toyota RAV4 (2017). Way way way better than the factory head unit.
Pros: Fits without modification Wireless CarPlay Steering Wheel Controls are retained
Cons: Slow to boot sometimes Integration Kits do not come with factory USB and GPS antenna cables (I bought separate to retain both)
2 of 2 found this helpful
I like the unit overall but there are definitely issues that need to be fixed via a firmware update someday. 1. Using the seek button for the next station is not affected by the levels picked. In other words, hitting station up or down just goes to the next number: 95.1 to 95.3 to 95.5. I want it to jump to the next "good" station. Also, a "long" select just jumps to the next preprogrammed station. 2. Automatic Sound Level does not do anything no matter what mode is selected. 3. If you are in FM1 and select BSM to program your 6 stations with the strongest frequencies, it works. However, if you have manually coded stations and then switch to FM2 to use BSM, it overwrites the FM1 stations also. BSM should only populate the FM band you select, AND, it should not repeat any stations you have in the other FM band. I would like to keep FM1 manually programmed for my home stations and use the BSM with FM2 during long trips to capture and update local stations. 4. I hooked up the supplied USB cable but when I connect my iPhone7, it does not get recognized. 5. I have tried to update the password for the unit but the manual shows some buttons the don't exist on my screen. 6. Overall User Interface could use some minor changes to make the front screen friendlier. 7. Apple CarPlay has frozen or dropped out a couple times but it's not real bad.
Pros: Solid construction, nice screen with pretty good response. My 2007 Toyota 4Runner had a really crappy radio - I mean really bad. Just adding this stereo vastly increased the sound response even with the stock speakers. It also picks up a LOT more stations.
Cons: Lots of capabilities seem to need some refinement. Hopefully a firmware update is coming in the future.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Chose this unit to upgrade and add Apple Car Play my 2016 Tacoma. Install was plug and play thanks to Crutchfield's OEM adapter harness kit. The unit is definitely an upgrade to the Entune HU. Planning to upgrade speakers and add an amp as next step. Android Auto also works well with my Wife's phone.
Pros: Plug and play install. Retained all steering wheel functions and factory backup camera. Wireless Apple Car Play and Android Auto.
Cons: None so far.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Let me tell you about my experience so far with Pioneer products. This is the second Pioneer head unit that I have bought in the span of about a month. Both head units have problems. It started first with the Pioneer MVH-1400 NEX. It worked for about a week. I loaded a custom background image to the screen and it worked. Then I got an error message when I tried to change the image. Pioneer told me that I should return the unit to them since likely another problem would arise. Then Apple CarPlay completely cut out all audio yet the screen and buttons stayed illuminated. So I returned it. A week later I decided to splurge on the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. Apple CarPlay worked the few times I would ever use it. (I'm the type of audiophile who hooks up my audio to a chain as follows---->(Source- AUX) Audioquest Golden Gate 3.5mm>Audioquest Dragonfly Red>Audioquest Jitterbug>Lightning to USB 3 Adapter>iPhone) So needless to say as far as audio quality goes, using Apple CarPlay is not high on my priority list. It sounds way worse than a legitimate wired connection. The Apple Carplay on this unit plays for awhile and then just cuts out and the screen goes completely black. The colored buttons still stay lit and they beep when touched yet the screen just freezes and remains black. Pioneer told me that since they just released this unit that we are the guinea pigs to test this unit. :) So I would not be very surprised if Pioneer is forced to release a firmware update to this issue soon...
Pros: -When functioning this is a great head unit, probably a 4/5 head unit (-1 Stars to 3/5 for how unreliable Pioneer units are Just In my own personal experience -It has a DETACHABLE FACE... This is a must for security reasons, all car stereos should be detachable in my opinion -It has all the other extra options like a 2nd USB port for Android Auto, AUX connection, a CD/DVD drive, an SD memory card slot. Great background image and splash screen customization, nice key color option, you name
Cons: -Wireless Apple CarPlay new technology is very flawed and is not perfected yet. An advisor warned me over the phone about this issue. He told me to wait a year or two before going ahead and purchasing one of these wireless Apple Carplay head units, but at the time I really needed a new head unit installed in a hurry so I still ended up buying it. -A pretty obvious Pioneer quality control issue. I love the head unit when it works properly, but I may be forced to look elsewhere on this one...
3 of 3 found this helpful
Awesome head unit!
0 of 0 found this helpful
This is a pretty cool upgrade over my 5-year old Pioneer 2600-BT. The installation is a snap with the supplied mounting kit. Having wireless CarPlay is really awesome...for 5 years I'd been struggling with the way the old unit sorts artists vs the way the iPhone and iPod sort them, but no more! There's a little bit of a learning curve navigating between the various native Pioneer interface screens and the CarPlay interface, but I'm getting slicker with it in time. All in all, I'm very satisfied with this purchase.
0 of 0 found this helpful
After few weeks of searching for the most suitable multimedia unit for my car and after the assistance of Crutchfield's tech advisor Marshall I decided to go ahead and buy this model. It was 100% plus covering everything i needed, The only missing thing in this unit is the capacitive touch screen.. anything else is there . Multi input sources, DVD CD player, Fully wireless apple car play and android auto and will cover any need even for future upgrades, for example if i want to install rear screens, camera or optional sound speakers. Even if i want to use a gps system it can be done either by using google maps via apple car play from my cell phone or just hooking up the optional gps map module . It can combine two Bluetooth cell phone too . I'm so pleased with it . The WebLink added even more features to be enjoyed with. Separate remote controller is there too. It's so handy for the back seaters if rear displays installed . Although the touch screen is not capacitive but i'm fully satisfied with it because of it's fast response not to mention the other huge features that will let you forget about the capacitive option . I can say that i'm only using about 1/3 of the entire features available yet stunned with what this head up unit brings to me . Honestly it exceeds high end luxury cars oem head units by far . I noticed this when compared to the OEM head up units that comes preinstalled on the relatives Lexus and Mercedes cars
Pros: Detachable screen. Remote Control. Weblink compatible.
Cons: Not equipped with Capacitive touch screen .
1 of 1 found this helpful
Love this radio. Easy to use and the features are great. I have it hooked up to the iPad that's in my dash.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I've had this installed for about 3 months now and I'm very happy with my purchase. I installed it with 2 amps, all new speakers and a sub. This receiver really drives the system well and has all the features I could ever want. Sounds customization is great, wireless CarPlay has been flawless, and the 7" screen is awesome. I was skeptical about the resistive touchscreen but it has been great. Super responsive. I also didn't realize it played DVDs until I installed it, so that was a nice surprise. The ability to set a custom background is a nice feature. Overall I'm really loving this receiver. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again.
Pros: Large responsive screen Wireless CarPlay Color & background/splash screen customization
Cons: Screen only has one dimmer setting. Would be nice if there were a few more options. UI isn't the greatest. Can be a little repetitive/sluggish trying to change certain settings.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Awesome product easy to install and love the features.
Pros: Connectivity/ wireless CarPlay / sound quality
Cons: Sometimes a little slow to start up
0 of 0 found this helpful
Overall have had this radio in for almost 2 years now. It was an easy install in my 2007 Ridgeline, and looks good. The system overall is easy to use. Hooked up Sirius, and put the antenna under the dash, not sure that was the best spot for it but it works for the most part. I like the apple car play and Android auto. My only gripe is that the Car play will freeze up from time to time, not sure if that is an issue with the stereo or the iPhone, but it takes it down 1 star for me.
Pros: Car Play, Andriod Auto
1 of 1 found this helpful
Got this installed and still working with getting use to all the options. But love the unit and all the functions. Nice sound and plenty of options to fine tune the unit.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Wasn't quite a universal fit, but looks and works great after getting it installed.
Pros: Looks great Functions perfectly
Cons: Wasn't quite a universal fit and required some minor adjustments to install.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Works great! Love the CarPlay
0 of 2 found this helpful
Straightforward install on a 2015 Jeep Wrangler with no real surprises. As a person who doesn't pay much attention to audio equipment generally, the biggest surprise to me was that even this higher-end unit still has pretty low resolution and a plain old clunky user interface. That said, it works as advertised, sounds good, and looks nice in the dash.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Sounds great, plenty of quality volume with stock speakers. Installed in 2013 F-150 along with the K150 dash kit. Had to enlarge the opening on the dash panel for the radio to fit which is the reason for my 4 star review of the dash panel kit. With the dash kit and Maestro I was able to keep my steering wheel controls. My only complaint is that the apple car play wireless and Ford Sync did not want to work together so I disabled the ford sync on my phone and installed the microphone that came with the head unit. The apple car play is fantastic. Completely satisfied with the head unit.
Pros: Great sound and function for the price point.
Cons: Radio front was too large to fit through opening on the F-150 dash panel kit without modification.
2 of 2 found this helpful
I bought this for my husband for his Tundra and he is in love with it. He had it installed in like an hour. He did have to order a few other things (not sure what they were) but very simple to put in. All of the buttons on steering wheel incorporated well with installation worth no issues. Back up camera looks clearer now with the new screen! Very happy with this purchase.
5 of 5 found this helpful
This DOES NOT FIT a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK without Alpine audio upgrade. The instructions the supplied say to cut part of the plastic on the dash and to remove the metal bracket (pictured). Cutting the plastic isn't needed, and removing the metal bracket isn't possible without risk of breaking the dash since there are no metal supports to mount the radio to. The dash is plastic. The only support is the metal bracket that they say should be removed. See pictures for measurements. Tech support was great, but the sales support was the worst I've ever encountered. They were so afraid of a lawsuit that they kept repeating that I needed to follow the INCORRECT INSTRUCTIONS and refused to listen to the fact that the instructions weren't meant for a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK.
Pros: Can't list any because it wouldn't fit to even try
Cons: Does not fit. The Jeep has a "double" din, but isn't the standard double din size.
4 of 20 found this helpful
Overall great sound quality. Not as user friendly as previous head units that I've had but once you learn it becomes second nature. The backup camera turns on almost immediately which is a huge plus. Apple CarPlay takes 15-20 seconds to start up and sometimes has issues with pandora. The wireless screen mirror only works with certain android phones so with iPhone I have to use the hdmi but is great quality with that. All in all though it is a great head unit. I had the ILX-107 and this one is my preferred choice hands down.
Pros: Great display, quick rear view camera
Cons: Startup time for Apple CarPlay
3 of 5 found this helpful
Excellent unit and very responsive screen...just be sure that the front of the unit clears the double din bezel otherwise the tilt screen will not open.
Pros: Feature Rich with many add-on options.
Cons: Tilt screen has tight bezel clearances requiring some modification to the bezel for it to clear.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Love the unit and wireless carplay and iDatalink. Crutchfield is my go to and came through when the unit face was scratched by replacing it.
5 of 7 found this helpful
More details on the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear),RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple,Google,Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google,Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (192 kHz)|
Built-In WiFi: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX features built-in WiFi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable free connection between your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone and the receiver. Supporting Apple CarPlay and Android Auto via a wireless connection, plus WiFi Certified Miracast wireless mirroring for Android smartphone devices, you no longer need to worry about taking your smartphone out of your bag or your pocket before you get into your car.
Note: The unit's built-in WiFi can only be used for CarPlay, Android Auto, and Miracast (not designed to be used with WiFi hotspots).
Wireless Apple CarPlay: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX features Apple CarPlay, the smarter and safer way to use your iPhone 5 or newer (iOS 7.1+) in the car. The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX supports Apple CarPlay through a wireless connection using WiFi and Bluetooth (both connections must be made) or a hardwired USB connection using its rear-panel USB-1 port. Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, access messages, and even control Apple HomeKit compatible devices through Siri voice recognition and the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. You can even listen to music from your Apple CarPlay device or other connected source device while using Apple Maps. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include:
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Before using Wireless CarPlay, you will need to pair your iPhone to the receiver via Bluetooth and connect the phone to the receiver via a USB cable, or press and hold the "mic" button on the front-panel of the receiver, to make a WiFi connection between the receiver and your iPhone - follow the receiver's on-screen prompts. The WiFi password is listed under " Wi-Fi Settings" in the System Menu.
- If you are using a hardwired connection, make sure to plug your phone into the USB-1 port. Use the included USB extension cable and an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB extension cable (not included) for connection. Any other USB extension cable or non-certified cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
Wireless Android Auto: The Pioneer receiver supports the Android Auto app for select Android smartphones using a wired or wireless connection. You can connect Google's Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X (running Android OS 8.0 Oreo or higher and version 3.1 or higher of the Android Auto app) to the Pioneer receiver wirelessly using WiFi and Bluetooth (both wireless connections must be made; a wired USB connection must be made initially between the Android phone and the Pioneer receiver to setup Wireless Android Auto). Android smartphones running Lollipop 5.0 or higher can be connected to the Pioneer receiver's USB-2 port using the included USB extension cable and USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into one simple on-screen interface. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Pioneer receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, listen to music, or even control select Google Assistant smarthome enabled devices.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Pioneer receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Pioneer receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible apps for Android Auto.
- Click here to learn more about Android Auto compatible phones. Click here regarding setup.
- If you are using a hardwired connection, make sure to plug your phone into the USB-2 port. Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable. Click here for more details.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
WebLink (for iPhone & Android): Download the WebLink Host app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 5.0+) and connect your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone via USB to access select apps such as YouTube, Yelp, and Zomato through the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. The apps must be downloaded on your compatible mobile device and can then be accessed through the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen using the WebLink interface. Your compatible iPhone will need to be connected to the unit's USB-1 port. Your compatible Android smartphone will need to be connected to the unit's USB-2 port.
- YouTube: With WebLink, you can access YouTube (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) and play videos on the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor (your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged). You can select videos from a variety of categories or search by keyword(s).
- Yelp: Yelp (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community among the millions submitted. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. Let Yelp help you find the best Restaurants, Hotels, Automotive Service Centers, Banks, Shopping Malls, and more. Search by Category, Favorites, Distance, Point on the Map, or Keyword. A keyword search requires that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged.
- Zomato: Zomato (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) lets you search for and discover restaurants to eat out at or order in from. Browse through restaurant menus, photos, user reviews and ratings to decide where you want to eat, and use the map feature to guide you there.
- MediaPlayer: WebLink's MediaPlayer allows you to access your Apple iOS or Android devices stored music and video library for playback (content must be stored on the device and not the cloud). From the receiver's touchscreen, you can browse your phone's music library by Artist, Album, Genres, Playlist, or Songs. You can also search your music by typing in an artist's name or a song title (the vehicle's parking brake has to be engaged for this feature). In addition, you get playback controls such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat. The DVD receiver's screen will display song/artist/album information, along with album art.
- Once you have your device connected to the head unit and you have selected WebLink as the source, the WebLink app is not controllable from your Apple iOS or Android device. If you need to control the WebLink app from your smartphone, you will have to disconnect your phone's cable from the Pioneer receiver.
- The WebLink app must be opened as the primary app on your phone. If you press the home button or go to access other apps on your phone, the WebLink apps will pause on the Pioneer receiver, until the WebLink app is the primary app again. WebLink will not work with the app only running in the background.
- Some apps within WebLink will require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged to operate certain functions & features of the application.
Miracast for Android (Wireless Mirroring): Wi-Fi Certified Miracast lets you wirelessly send the display of your compatible Android OS 4.2+ device that also supports Miracast to the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Android device on the receiver's touchscreen (vehicle's parking brake must be engaged). Control will still be done from your Android device's touchscreen (not the Pioneer receiver). Click here to check for Miracast compatible Android smartphones and tablets.
- Miracast (wireless mirroring) will require that the vehicle's parking brake be engaged to mirror your smartphone or view any content from your smartphone on the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor. Only audio content will be heard without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
- The Apple iPhone does not support Miracast or wireless mirroring.
iPod Direct Connect: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay or WebLink, you can simply connect your Apple iOS device via USB for music playback only through the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX's rear-panel USB-1port can be used to connect your Apple device with Lightning connector to the head unit. You'll need a Lightning-to-USB cable to connect your Apple device with Lightning connector to the head unit's USB-1 port. The USB connection allows for audio playback, music navigation, information display (including album art), and charging of your compatible iPhone or iPod.
- Audio Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. You'll still be able to control your iPod or iPhone from the device's touchscreen too.
- Song/Artist/Album Info: In addition, the head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song & Album title, as well as Album Art.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/18/5018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Compatible Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||CarPlay||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||WebLink||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone devices with a 30-pin connector.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or LTE (4G) for CarPlay & WebLink to function. Access to CarPlay, Android Auto, & WebLink online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connections provide 5V/1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone or Android devices when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
GPS Antenna: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX comes with a GPS antenna to enhance the performance of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay navigation maps (including Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze). The GPS antenna comes with a self-stick pad which mounts it on top of your dash inside the vehicle.
Smartphone Setup: Before connecting your smartphone device, you will need to indicate whether you are using an iPhone or Android smartphone in the Pioneer receiver's menu.
Bluetooth 4.1: The AVH-W4500NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.1, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX.
Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-1550NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Up to 5 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be paired to this head unit.
- Dual Phone Connection: You are able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
- Auto Re-Connection: Once an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically links the head unit and device together. If two Bluetooth devices were connected the last time, the two devices are connected to this unit automatically in the order that they are registered in the device list.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVH-W4500NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVH-W4500NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The AVH-W4500NEX offers a variety of ways
to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 1,000 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call History: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing via Siri: When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVH-W4500NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for Siri Eyes-Free functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX using your USB-1 port or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List, Presets, & New Stations: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also store six Pandora Radio preset stations for even easier recall. New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Shuffle & Skip Songs: You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List. You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down & Bookmarking: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences. The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Apple Music Radio: You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB-1port connected Apple iOS device through the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. With a WiFi or cellular connection, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for every genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations, playback songs similar to the current song, stop playback of the current song, and add the current song to your iTunes wish list. Apple Music Radio playback is compatible with the following Apple iOS devices -
- iPhone: XS-Max/XS/XR/X, 8+/8, 7+/7, 6S+/6S/6+/6, 5S/5C/5, SE, & 4S - running iOS 9.3.5 or newer
- iPod: touch (6th/5th generation) - running at iOS 9.3.5 or newer
Note: Your Apple iOS device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply activate a SiriusXM Radio subscription (fees will apply) and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated port on the rear of the receiver for playback and control of satellite radio. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Channel/Category Lists + Song/Artist/Album Info: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on-screen.
- Category Scan + Instant Replay: During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- SmartFavorite Presets + Featured Favorites: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix (see below). Featured Favorites are groups of channels that are created by the SiriusXM Programming department allowing to discover new channels. Featured Favorite channels are dynamic and can change often, allowing you to discover new channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of SmartFavorite presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SmartFavorite preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The AVH-W4500NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with video, audio, and photo files. The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs.
- Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
- Direct DVD Search: During DVD playback, you can go directly to a specific Title or Chapter by entering the number using the unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
- Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password
- Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
SD Card Slot: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX features a hidden SD card slot (located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor) which will accept SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards (up to 64GB) for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's dual USB ports and 58" USB extension cable allow you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB ports (1.5A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Basic Control + Song/Artist/Album Info: Playback & search functions include Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat, and File/Folder List. The head unit will display your USB device's stored music information - including Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song & Album title, as well as Album Art.
- Advanced Search Functions: Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Search which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Note: Connection of a USB hub or card-reader is not supported. Connection of AOA & MTP devices is not supported.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, USB device, or SD memory card.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC, SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo Joliet||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
|MP3: 8-320kbps bit rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 48-320kbps bit rate; 32-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 16-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8 or 16-bit rate; 16-48.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 8-192kHz sampling rates
Files: MPEG 1/2/4, DivX |
Max Resolution: 720 x 1280 (MPEG), 720 x 576 (DivX)
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
Files: AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV |
Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|65,536 folders/65,536 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for superb quality audio playback from disc, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Bluetooth.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVH-W4500NEX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVH-W4500NEX employs high-pass and low-pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speaker setup.
- Standard: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a standard Front, Rear, and Subwoofer speaker setup using either speaker-level or low-level outputs.
- HPF: The head unit's -6 to -24dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an -6 to -24dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
- Network: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a complex 3-way speaker system with Highs, Mids, and Sub using low-level outputs only.
- Highs: The high-pass crossover for your tweeters can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
- Mids: You can set a high-pass and low-pass crossover from your midrange/midbass drivers. The high-pass crossover can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off. The low-pass crossover can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
- Lows: The low-pass crossover for your subwoofers can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
EEQ (Easy EQ) + 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve bass on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into the Pioneer receiver's 3.5mm Auto EQ Mic jack located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
- Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
- Speaker Level: You can adjust each speaker and sub channel independently from +10 to -24 to best even out the sound in your vehicle.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
- Auto Level Control (ALC): This function automatically corrects the audio level difference between the music files and/or the sources.
Rear Speaker Setup: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
Note: For safety reasons, video images from the AV inputs cannot be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen monitor without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
HDMI Input: The Pioneer head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect an iPhone/iPod touch with Lightning connector (using an Apple AV adapter - sold separately), an Android smartphone/tablet (using a MHL adapter - sold separately), Blu-ray player, TV tuner or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
Note: For safety reasons, video images from the HDMI input cannot be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen monitor without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, Disc, AV-In, USB-1, SD, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including USB-2, HDMI, Miracast, WebLink, Android Auto, or CarPlay) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Note: USB video files cannot be selected for playback in the rear of the vehicle when Apple CarPlay is active.
Camera Input w/ Parking Assist Guidelines: The Pioneer receiver is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC8, sold separately). The unit provides on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle. These guideline do not automatically appear on the rear-view image. You must tap the "Park Assist Guidelines" icon on the touchscreen while the rear-view image is visible on the receiver's touchscreen. You can also turn the unit's composite AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately). The dedicated rear-view camera input offers two view modes -
- Auto View: The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
- Camera View: There is also a Camera View mode which allows you to manually bring up the rearview camera image on the receiver's touchscreen monitor to check what is behind you while driving. You can leave the Camera View mode on if you want to see the rearview image at all times; for instance when towing a trailer.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Pioneer DVD receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Pioneer receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen & Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Pioneer head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-W4500EX allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U280 add-on navigation unit (130AVIC280, sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
Motorized 6.94" Clear Resistive LCD Touchscreen: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX features a 6.94" clear resistive LCD touchscreen with a display resolution of 2520 x 480, for a total of 1,209,600 pixels. The clear resistive panel is designed to enhance the visibility of on-screen graphics and images, making them appear clear and crisp. The LCD touchscreen allows you to control this unit and a connected component - such as an iPhone, Android smartphone, a USB MSC device, or Bluetooth source.Â Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's 6.94" touchscreen display is motorized and electronically slides down to load/eject your DVD/CD discs.
- Adjustable & Detachable: The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car. The 6.94" touchscreen monitor can also be detached from the chassis to deter theft (soft carrying case included).
- Favorites Menu Screen: You can register the desired menu items on the AVH-W4500NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Home Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video sources and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast), color (adjusts color saturation), hue, (adjusts color tone), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
Front-Panel Controls w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used push-buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
Dimmer: The receiver's touchscreen display & button illumination can be dimmed manually, automatically or via a timer. You can set the unit's LCD touchscreen & button illumination to automatically dim when your vehicle's headlights are turned on (this function requires that the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit). You can also set a specific time and duration for unit's LCD & button illumination to dim.
Remote Functions: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display a "Caution" message, if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion. CarPlay, Android Auto, and WebLink do not require that the parking brake be engaged.
Note: The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
18 questions already asked