About the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX
Wireless Apple CarPlay® — and much more — in your dash
Wireless Apple CarPlay® — and much more — in your dash
In a hurry? Pioneer's AVIC-W6500NEX navigation receiver takes their trusted NEX platform further with wireless Apple CarPlay integration, so you can get going without having to pause to plug your iPhone® in. With a beautiful 6.2" display at the helm, you'll be able to check out and command your favorite media and phone functions with ease — including WebLink®, plus enjoy built-in mapping with traffic reports for those moments when you don't have your phone handy. On top of everything else, Pioneer gives you an HD Radio™ tuner, Bluetooth®, and sonic improvements you'll appreciate during your travels.
More phone fun with Apple CarPlay and WebLink®
Apple CarPlay puts your iPhone's content at your fingertips. Plug in or wirelessly pair your iPhone, and you'll access all your navigation, phone calls, weather, text messages, and all your music through simple controls and voice commands. The AVIC-W6500NEX knows when your iPhone's nearby and can start CarPlay for you automatically via its built-in Wi-Fi® network. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
This Pioneer includes WebLink, which provides you simple in-dash control over select apps like YouTube® and Yelp®. It essentially replaces Pioneer's AppRadio Mode+ functionality, while adding more features. WebLink works with iPhone now, and Android™ compatibility will come soon. And it works with Amazon Alexa, so you can ask questions and add items to your shopping list from the road. You can switch between CarPlay and WebLink with just two finger taps. So load up the free Pioneer WebLink app, plug in your phone, and you'll have quick access to some handy infotainment for your journey.
If you have an Android device, you can still benefit from Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™, which lets you mirror your phone's screen on the AVIC-W6500NEX's display without a wired connection. It's not universal but should work with most Android phones.
Take charge with a convenient 6.2" touchscreen display
You'll see everything you need at a glance on Pioneer's info-rich NEX interface, and you can customize the display to put as many apps and sources on the home screen as you like, making it easy to switch between them. Pioneer includes new wallpapers for 2019 to give your dash a facelift. It even offers a "Power Off" mode in the source menu for those times when you want a completely dark screen. The receiver's HDMI input means that your phone can more easily be used as an audio or video source.
Stay on top of directions and nearby traffic
A lost driver is an unhappy driver, so count on this receiver's GPS technology to guide you practically anywhere in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. You can search for stopping points along your route among the 12 million included points of interest, or mark your own favorite spots for future reference. Built-in live traffic updates alert you to potential delays caused by congestion along your route. For a better look at the map, you can choose the level of map zoom manually. Spoken street names at turns and lane guidance keep you on track, while speed limit warnings help you stay safe.
Bluetooth for hands-free streaming and communication
Wireless Bluetooth connectivity keeps you in contact with others from the road with hands-free calling, and the included external microphone gives your conversations plenty of clarity. And the receiver will work with most phones for wireless streaming audio, thanks to its advanced Hands-Free Profile technology. You'll also get smartphone app control through your devices.
Hear your favorite music anew with high-resolution sound
The built-in 13-band graphic equalizer, Auto EQ, and Time Alignment let you shape the sonic output to suit your tastes. Use the high- and low-pass crossover's adjustable points and slopes for further adjustments, and engage the Advanced Sound Retriever to fill in the missing "gaps" in your compressed music files to restore clarity. This Pioneer's also compatible with high-resolution FLAC files, so you can play your music from a thumb drive with maximum fidelity.
Take a break for some family viewing
You can check out video from DVDs or other sources on the 6.2" display when you're parked. You can also tap into video content on your iPod or smartphone with the help of the correct cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, so they can stay entertained. Dual-zone capability lets you enjoy the radio or another audio source up front while your passengers watch their favorite movies with headphones in the back.
Add rear and front cameras
You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's near your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. And Pioneer's onscreen parking guidelines help you maneuver into your space. Need to pull up your rear-view camera in a hurry? A dedicated icon in the source menu gives you instant access.
Ready for SiriusXM satellite radio
The AVIC-W6500NEX radio features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription. You can listen to your chosen channels no matter where you roam, and take advantage of special features such as alerts when your favorite songs or sports teams are on the air.
Built-in HD Radio tuner
If you're in an area with HD Radio broadcasts, the Pioneer's built-in tuner can pick them up. You'll hear improved fidelity and reception from participating AM/FM stations all over.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras — and add some upgrades
The AVIC-W6500NEX offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the Pioneer's screen. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.2" detachable face touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- 5 display color; 112 key color options
- remote control
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from flash media
- works with wireless and wired Apple CarPlay
- WebLink for in-dash control of select apps, including YouTube and Yelp (Apple only; Android compatibility coming soon)
- Siri Eyes Free control with compatible iOS devices
- Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™ for wireless screen-mirroring of select Android devices
- Pandora control through iPhone and Android
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 12.4 million points of interest
- free traffic updates in major metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance
- speed limit warnings
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB drives (see Details for full capabilities)
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit)
- 13-band graphic EQ with Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Auto EQ with Time Alignment (optional CD-MC20 mic required)
- low- and high-pass filters with adjustable crossover points
- Advanced Sound Retriever enhances compressed digital files
- dual-zone A/V output
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner — supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: HDMI input; dual rear USB inputs; 2 rear A/V inputs; two camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite video output
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in amplifier (14 watts RMS/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro module
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- works with steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVIC-W6500NEX
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver with fixed 6.2" monitor (10A fuse)
- Detachable control-panel (attached)
- Wiring harness
- AV/preout harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- 58" USB extension cable
- 6.5' Stereo minijack extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Self-adhesive square
- 3 Self-adhesive clips
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- Important Information for the User
- Online Product Registration
- Warranty Sheet
- Apple CarPlay note
- USB Type-C Phone Caution note
Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear),RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple,Google,Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (192 kHz)|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
HERE Navigation: The AVIC-W6500NEX offers a comprehensive map database from HERE covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico enabling users to route to millions of destinations; including 12.4 Million points of interest (POIs). The map database is stored on the head unit's built in 16GB flash memory.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release (2018), a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: Customers are eligible to update to the latest available map database free of charge during the first 45 days of operation (from the unit's first receipt of an active GPS signal). To update the map database, visit the Naviextras website to download the Naviextras Toolbox on your computer (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac) and USB thumbdrive.
GPS Technology: The AVIC-W6500NEX accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is. The unit features a built-in GPS receiver and comes with a GPS antenna that is designed to be mounted on top of the vehicle's dashboard. The AVIC-W6500NEX also utilizes a speed sensing cable for better accuracy of your vehicle's movement; this wire should always be connected to your vehicle's speed detection circuit.
- Start-Up Time: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX will turn on to the last source selected or the navigation screen. The unit has a start-up time of approximately 10.7 seconds from OFF to the last Source selected, or a start-up of approximately 27.1 seconds from OFF to the Navigation screen.
- Calculation Times: The navigation receiver took approximately 7.3 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Los Angeles, California. It only took 5.1 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab at Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
Real-Time Traffic Updates: Partnering with Clear Channel Broadcasting's Total Traffic Network, the built-in traffic tuner provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including US and Canada. Check your commute route in advance or re-route to your destination to avoid traffic congestion. There is no subscription cost and no annoying on-screen advertisements.
- Road segments affected by traffic incidents are displayed with an alternate color on the map and small symbols above the road show the nature of the incident.
- When traffic information that may affect your route is received, this system will warn you that it is recalculating the route and navigation will continue with a new route that is optimal considering the most up-to-date traffic conditions.
On-Screen Map: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways, buildings, and towns. Your route is marked with a green line, while your vehicle is indicated by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the AVIC-W6500NEX guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The map screen will also indicate the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, distance to your final destination, timed need to reach the final destination, and estimated arrival time are all displayed on-screen. You can adjust the following map settings.
- 2D/3D Map Modes: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. 2D View displays a normal two-dimensional map with North or your direction at the top of map screen. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, your direction is at the top of the map screen and you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads.
- Smart Zoom: The on-screen map offers Smart Zoom. When you approach a turn, the map will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
- Color Mode: You can switch between daytime and nighttime color modes or let the head unit's software switch between the two modes automatically a few minutes before sunrise and a few minutes after sunset.
Note: Audio/Video source information is displayed at the bottom of the map screen.
Route Guidance: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX's navigation map offers helpful route guidance with lane information, signposts and junction view, along with exit services.
- Lane Guidance: When navigating on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. Highlighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Realistic Signposts: Where additional information is available, realistic signposts & road signs substitute arrows. Replications of actual highway signs are displayed at the top of the map further improving driver orientation and navigation.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits along major highways and freeways.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely. The unit will mute the audio of the other audio/video sources during navigation voice-prompts.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-W6500NEX provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish. Some of the voices are capable of text-to-speech, announcing the street names along with the turn directions. You can adjust the the voice guidance volume independently from the head unit's main volume.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The AVIC-W6500NEX provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Where Am I? & Destination Search: The Where Am I? screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby. The Destination Search menu offers search tools to find your destination and play your route.
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Input your destination address by country, city or zip-code, street, and house number.
- POIs: Search over 12.4 million POIs (points-of interest) by category, around your location, along your route, in a city, or at your destination.
- Favorites: You can save your favorite addresses and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling. You can also save your Home and Work address in your favorites.
- Recent History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access.
- Combined Search: You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Note: Your vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable certain navigation functions; such as Address search and Coordinates.
Route Calculation: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fast: gives a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Short: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Detours/Alternatives/Auto Reroute: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Route Planner + Itinerary w/ Route Simulation: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Monitors: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX provides a Trip Monitor that contains useful information about your trip and a Fuel Consumption Monitor that helps keep track of fuel mileage.
- Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
- Fuel Consumption Monitor: The Fuel Consumption Monitor helps you keep track of the fuel consumption of your car even if you do not use the navigation system for all your journeys. Set the initial odometer value and then record the distance driven and the amount of fuel whenever you fill up your car. You can also use reminders for regular car maintenance. The Fuel Consumption Monitor's calculations are based only on the information that you provide and not on any data from the vehicle. The fuel mileage displayed is only a reference value and does not guarantee that the fuel mileage displayed can be obtained.
Built-In WiFi: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX features built-in WiFi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable free connection between your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone and the receiver. Supporting Apple CarPlay via a wireless connection, plus WiFi Certified Miracast wireless mirroring for Android smartphone devices, you no longer need to worry about taking your smartphone out of your bag or your pocket before you get into your car.
Note: The unit's built-in WiFi can only be used for CarPlay and Miracast (not designed to be used with WiFi hotspots).
Wireless Apple CarPlay: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX features Apple CarPlay, the smarter and safer way to use your iPhone 5 or newer (iOS 7.1+) in the car. The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX supports Apple CarPlay through a wireless connection using WiFi and Bluetooth (both connections must be made) or a hardwired USB connection using its rear-panel USB-1 port. Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, access messages, and even control Apple HomeKit compatible devices through Siri voice recognition and the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. You can even listen to music from your Apple CarPlay device or other connected source device while using Apple Maps. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include:
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Before using Wireless CarPlay, you will need to pair your iPhone to the receiver via Bluetooth and connect the phone to the receiver via a USB cable, or press and hold the "mic" button on the front-panel of the receiver, to make a WiFi connection between the receiver and your iPhone - follow the receiver's on-screen prompts. The WiFi password is listed under " Wi-Fi Settings" in the System Menu.
- If you are using a hardwired connection, make sure to plug your phone into the USB-1 port. Use the included USB extension cable and an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB extension cable (not included) for connection. Any other USB extension cable or non-certified cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
WebLink (for iPhone & Android): Download the WebLink Host app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 5.0+) and connect your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone via USB to access select apps such as YouTube, Yelp, and Zomato through the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX. The apps must be downloaded on your compatible mobile device and can then be accessed through the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen using the WebLink interface. Your compatible iPhone will need to be connected to the unit's USB-1 port. Your compatible Android smartphone will need to be connected to the unit's USB-2 port.
- YouTube: With WebLink, you can access YouTube (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) and play videos on the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor (your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged). You can select videos from a variety of categories or search by keyword(s).
- Yelp: Yelp (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community among the millions submitted. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. Let Yelp help you find the best Restaurants, Hotels, Automotive Service Centers, Banks, Shopping Malls, and more. Search by Category, Favorites, Distance, Point on the Map, or Keyword. A keyword search requires that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged.
- Zomato: Zomato (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) lets you search for and discover restaurants to eat out at or order in from. Browse through restaurant menus, photos, user reviews and ratings to decide where you want to eat, and use the map feature to guide you there.
- MediaPlayer: WebLink's MediaPlayer allows you to access your Apple iOS or Android devices stored music and video library for playback (content must be stored on the device and not the cloud). From the receiver's touchscreen, you can browse your phone's music library by Artist, Album, Genres, Playlist, or Songs. You can also search your music by typing in an artist's name or a song title (the vehicle's parking brake has to be engaged for this feature). In addition, you get playback controls such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat. The navigation receiver's screen will display song/artist/album information, along with album art.
- Once you have your device connected to the head unit and you have selected WebLink as the source, the WebLink app is not controllable from your Apple iOS or Android device. If you need to control the WebLink app from your smartphone, you will have to disconnect your phone's cable from the Pioneer receiver.
- The WebLink app must be opened as the primary app on your phone. If you press the home button or go to access other apps on your phone, the WebLink apps will pause on the Pioneer receiver, until the WebLink app is the primary app again. WebLink will not work with the app only running in the background.
- Some apps within WebLink will require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged to operate certain functions & features of the application.
Miracast for Android (Wireless Mirroring): Wi-Fi Certified Miracast lets you wirelessly send the display of your compatible Android OS 4.2+ device that also supports Miracast to the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Android device on the receiver's touchscreen (vehicle's parking brake must be engaged). Control will still be done from your Android device's touchscreen (not the Pioneer receiver). Click here to check for Miracast compatible Android smartphones and tablets.
- Miracast (wireless mirroring) will require that the vehicle's parking brake be engaged to mirror your smartphone or view any content from your smartphone on the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor. Only audio content will be heard without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
- The Apple iPhone does not support Miracast or wireless mirroring.
iPod Direct Connect: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay or WebLink, you can simply connect your Apple iOS device via USB for music playback only through the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX. The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX's rear-panel USB-1port can be used to connect your Apple device with Lightning connector to the head unit. You'll need a Lightning-to-USB cable to connect your Apple device with Lightning connector to the head unit's USB-1 port. The USB connection allows for audio playback, music navigation, information display (including album art), and charging of your compatible iPhone or iPod.
- Audio Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. You'll still be able to control your iPod or iPhone from the device's touchscreen too.
- Song/Artist/Album Info: In addition, the head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song & Album title, as well as Album Art.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 6/12/5018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Compatible Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||CarPlay||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||WebLink||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone devices with a 30-pin connector.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or LTE (4G) for CarPlay & WebLink to function. Access to CarPlay & WebLink's online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connections provide 5V/1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone or Android devices when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Smartphone Setup: Before connecting your smartphone device, you will need to indicate whether you are using an iPhone or Android smartphone in the Pioneer receiver's menu.
Bluetooth 4.1: The AVIC-W6500NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.1, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX.
Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-1550NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Up to 5 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be paired to this head unit.
- Dual Phone Connection: You are able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
- Auto Re-Connection: Once an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically links the head unit and device together. If two Bluetooth devices were connected the last time, the two devices are connected to this unit automatically in the order that they are registered in the device list.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVIC-W6500NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVIC-W6500NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The AVIC-W6500NEX offers a variety of ways
to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 1,000 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call History: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing via Siri: When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVIC-W6500NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for Siri Eyes-Free functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX using your USB-1 port or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List, Presets, & New Stations: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also store six Pandora Radio preset stations for even easier recall. New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Shuffle & Skip Songs: You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List. You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down & Bookmarking: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences. The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Apple Music Radio: You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 8.0-12.4.1) through the Pioneer receiver. With a cellular or WiFi connection, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to their curated on-demand stations or favorite genre of music. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations and control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Skip.
Note: Your Apple iOS device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply activate a SiriusXM Radio subscription (fees will apply) and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated port on the rear of the receiver for playback and control of satellite radio. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Channel/Category Lists + Song/Artist/Album Info: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on-screen.
- Category Scan + Instant Replay: During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- SmartFavorite Presets + Featured Favorites: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix (see below). Featured Favorites are groups of channels that are created by the SiriusXM Programming department allowing to discover new channels. Featured Favorite channels are dynamic and can change often, allowing you to discover new channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of SmartFavorite presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SmartFavorite preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The AVIC-W6500NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with video, audio, and photo files.
- Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
- Direct DVD Search: During DVD playback, you can go directly to a specific Title or Chapter by entering the number using the unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
- Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password
- Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's dual USB ports and 58" USB extension cable allow you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB ports (1.5A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Basic Control + Song/Artist/Album Info: Playback & search functions include Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat, and File/Folder List. The head unit will display your USB device's stored music information - including Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song & Album title, as well as Album Art.
- Advanced Search Functions: Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Search which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Note: Connection of a USB hub or card-reader is not supported. Connection of AOA & MTP devices is not supported.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or USB MSC device.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo Joliet||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
|MP3: 8-320kbps bit rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 48-320kbps bit rate; 32-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 16-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8 or 16-bit rate; 16-48.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 8-192kHz sampling rates
Files: MPEG 1/2/4, DivX |
Max Resolution: 720 x 1280 (MPEG), 720 x 576 (DivX)
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
Files: AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV |
Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|65,536 folders/65,536 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for superb quality audio playback from disc, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Bluetooth.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVIC-W6500NEX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVIC-W6500NEX employs high-pass and low-pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speaker setup.
- Standard: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a standard Front, Rear, and Subwoofer speaker setup using either speaker-level or low-level outputs.
- HPF: The head unit's -6 to -24dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an -6 to -24dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
- Network: Allows you to set the high-pass and low-pass crossover network for a complex 3-way speaker system with Highs, Mids, and Sub using low-level outputs only.
- Highs: The high-pass crossover for your tweeters can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
- Mids: You can set a high-pass and low-pass crossover from your midrange/midbass drivers. The high-pass crossover can be set to 1.25, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.15, 4, 5, 6.3, 8, 10, or 12.5 kHz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off. The low-pass crossover can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
- Lows: The low-pass crossover for your subwoofers can be set to 26, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz with a -6 to -36dB/octave roll-off.
EEQ (Easy EQ) + 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into the Pioneer receiver's rear-panel 3.5mm Aux input located on the rear chassis. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
- Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
- Speaker Level: You can adjust each speaker and sub channel independently from +10 to -24 to best even out the sound in your vehicle.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
- Auto Level Control (ALC): This function automatically corrects the audio level difference between the music files and/or the sources.
Rear Speaker Setup: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
Note: For safety reasons, video images from the AV inputs cannot be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen monitor without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
HDMI Input: The Pioneer head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect an iPhone/iPod touch with Lightning connector (using an Apple AV adapter - sold separately), an Android smartphone/tablet (using a MHL adapter - sold separately), Blu-ray player, TV tuner or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
Note: For safety reasons, video images from the HDMI input cannot be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen monitor without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, Disc, AV-In, USB-1, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including Navigation, USB-2, HDMI, Miracast, WebLink, or CarPlay) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Note: USB video files cannot be selected for playback in the rear of the vehicle when Apple CarPlay is active.
Camera Input w/ Parking Assist Guidelines: The Pioneer receiver is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC8, sold separately). The unit provides on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle. These guideline do not automatically appear on the rear-view image. You must tap the "Park Assist Guidelines" icon on the touchscreen while the rear-view image is visible on the receiver's touchscreen. You can also turn the unit's composite AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately). The dedicated rear-view camera input offers two view modes -
- Auto View: The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
- Camera View: There is also a Camera View mode which allows you to manually bring up the rearview camera image on the receiver's touchscreen monitor to check what is behind you while driving. You can leave the Camera View mode on if you want to see the rearview image at all times; for instance when towing a trailer.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Pioneer navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Pioneer receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen & Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Pioneer head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
6.2" Clear Resistive LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX features a 6.2" clear resistive touchscreen with a display resolution of 2400 x 480, for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The clear resistive panel is designed to enhance the visibility of on-screen graphics and images, making them appear clear and crisp. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a connected component such as an Apple iPod or iPhone. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVIC-W6500NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Home Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video sources and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast), color (adjusts color saturation), hue, (adjusts color tone), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
Front-Panel Controls w/ Custom Illumination & Detachable Security: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used push-buttons along the left edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from). The front-panel controls can be detached from the chassis to deter theft (no protective case is provided).
Dimmer: The receiver's touchscreen display & button illumination can be dimmed manually, automatically or via a timer. You can set the unit's LCD touchscreen & button illumination to automatically dim when your vehicle's headlights are turned on (this function requires that the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit). You can also set a specific time and duration for unit's LCD & button illumination to dim.
Remote Functions: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display a "Caution" message, if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion. Navigation, CarPlay, and WebLink do not require that the parking brake be engaged.
Note: The parking brake wire must also be connected and the parking brake engaged for certain setup functions and menu options.
The Pioneer AVIC-W6500NEX replaces these items
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 7.9 million points of interest
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner — supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- wireless Apple CarPlay compatible; built-in HD Radio tuner
4 questions already asked