About the Pioneer Stage 4 DEX-P99RS
Pioneer's Stage 4 flagship receiver
Pioneer's Stage 4 flagship receiver
Why run with the herd when you can be leader of the pack? Pioneer's Stage 4 DEX-P99RS isn't just another car CD receiver — it's an audiophile platform of the highest quality, built from the ground up for audio enthusiasts who won't settle for second best. There's no internal amp in the DEX-P99RS — connect the pristine output to external amplifiers when you build your system.
Custom components and uncompromising construction
The DEX-P99RS houses its electronics in a copper-plated chassis that eliminates RF and magnetic signals that can introduce unwanted noise into even the finest audio components. Pioneer designed the circuit paths to be as short and symmetrical as possible, while all internal components are carefully arranged and shielded. All of these steps reduce interference that can diminish sound quality.
The engineers at Pioneer realize that standard "off-the-shelf" parts just won't cut it when you're shooting for reference standard performance. They use custom-designed audiophile-grade capacitors built specifically for the DEX-P99RS, ensuring the highest quality parts and cleanest performance. The receiver's preamp section, which uses the same Linear Technology technology found in high-end home audio systems, receives ample supplies of current from the receiver's dual power supplies, a rarity in car stereo construction.
Cutting-edge digital technology
If digital data isn't translated into the analog domain accurately, your sound will be subtly out of phase, resulting in a loss of precision and the addition of distortion. The DEX-P99RS employs Sound Master Clock Circuitry that guarantees ultra-precise digital-to-analog conversion.
The receiver also uses four digital-to-analog converters (DACs), one each for the preamp outputs, to convert your digital media with the highest possible signal-to-noise ratio and outstanding dynamic range. The 32-bit binary floating-bit digital signal processor provides high-speed sound processing for greater realism than the processing found in other car receivers.
Outstanding tools for sound adjustment
The 31-band equalizer offers independent control over the right and left channels for unparalleled shaping of the acoustic output. You can even set up five different custom memories to handle different types of music or listening situations.
The Auto EQ's supplied microphone samples the sound in your car, then tunes the 31 separate frequency bands to your interior, while balancing the output of all of your speakers independently. It also adjusts the time alignment of your system automatically to compensate for the differences in speaker distance from the driver — all the sound will reach your ears in perfect synchronization.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Pioneer stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the receiver, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
iPod note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check Product Research for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD receiver/preamp (no built-in amplifier, external amps required)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files (will not play Digital Rights-protected music files)
- motorized, detachable face with white OEL display
- copper-plated chassis
- four 24-bit DACs and 32-bit digital signal processor
- 31-band equalizer with independent right and left channel adjustments
- Auto EQ with supplied microphone
- Auto TA time alignment
- three level Sound Retriever for compressed music files
- high- and low-pass filters
- built-in iPod control cable included
- inputs: front auxiliary input, rear USB input (for Windows Media devices, USB storage devices, and iPod)
- outputs: 8-channel preamp outputs (5-volt highs, mids, lows, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD player
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Power/ground wiring harness
- Preamp-output harness
- Wireless remote control
- CR2032 Lithium battery (installed)
- Face case
- 59" USB cable (with a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 23" iPod cable (with an Apple iPod dock connector on one end and a USB type-A connector on other end)
- Setup microphone (with attached 6.75' cable terminated by a 2.5mm connector)
- Dash mount (for remote control)
- Two-sided tape
- Steering wheel mount (for remote control)
- 2 Rubber straps
- 2 Extraction keys
- 4 Pan head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 4 Flat-head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 9mm)
- Face fixing screw
- Operation Manual (Eng) Operation Manual (Fre)
- Installation Manual (Eng/Fre)
- Important Notice
- "RCA Caution" note
- "Installation Warning" note
- Limited Warranty (US/Canada)
More details on the Pioneer Stage 4 DEX-P99RS
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||N/A|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Reference Series Construction: The Pioneer Reference-Series DEX-P99RS features high-quality construction for better sound reproduction:
- Copper-Plated Chassis: The Reference-Series DEX-P99RS features a copper-plated chassis to eliminate magnetic induction noise.
- L/R Symmetric PCB: The Reference-Series DEX-P99RS's entire circuit board is painstakingly designed for utmost sound quality. Circuit trace path lengths are equalized and kept as short as possible, and components are carefully laid out and shielded to prevent RF noise or interference.
- Custom-Made Capacitors: The Pioneer Reference-Series DEX-P99RS utilizes custom-made audiophile grade capacitors and other components to ensure the highest quality.
Reference Series Sound: The Pioneer Reference-Series DEX-P99RS provides the purest, most realistic sound in your car by using high-quality circuitry, high-performance DACs, and high-precision digital-signal processing (DSP).
- Sound Master Clock Circuitry: The latest integrated circuits require superior clock signal quality to handle digital data accurately without distortion at ever-higher speeds. The Sound Master Clock Circuitry generates clock waveforms to read and process digital signals with ultra-precision, and eliminate jitter noise in transmission. The result is faithful playback of the original source.
- High-Slew Rate OP Amp: The DEX-P99RS features Linear Technology Corporation's high-slew rate OP amplifier used in high-end home audio for its precise gain and sound linearity characteristics.
- L/R Independent High-Volt Volume Circuit: The DEX-P99RS features a custom-made electric volume driven by a dual-sided power supply (rarely found in a head unit), which provides overwhelming dynamic range and high S/N (Signal-to-Noise) ratio.
- 24-Bit AKM DACs: The Pioneer Reference-Series DEX-P99RS uses four 24-bit AKM DACs (one for each preamp output: high, mid, low, and sub). These four 24-bit AKM DACs offer a 115dB S/N ratio with a high-durability to jitter, and superior dynamic range and quietness.
- 32-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP: The DEX-P99RS incorporates 32-Bit Binary Floating-Point DSP for high-precision and high-speed sound processing. The unique use of 32-bit "floating point" DSP offers significantly higher accuracy, especially at high frequencies and low signal levels.
4 Pair of 5.0-Volt Preamp Outputs With DSP Control: The Pioneer DEX-P99RS features four pairs of 5.0-volt preamp outputs (High, Mid, Low, Sub), along with a 4-way network DSP. This allows you to create a 4-way multi-amp, multi-speaker system with separate speakers for reproduction of high, middle, low, and ultra-low frequencies (bands), each driven by a dedicated amplifier (sold separately). The 4-Way Network DSP lets you divide the audio signal into different frequency bands, and then reproduce each of them through the units corresponding preamp outputs. You can then make precise adjustments to the reproduced frequency band (with a low-pass filter and high-pass filter), level, phase, and other parameters to match the characteristics of each pair of preamp outputs.
- Frequency Range: You can adjust the HPF (high-pass filter) and
LPF (low-pass filter) cut-of frequency to set the reproduced frequency range
for each pair of preamp outputs. The HPF cuts frequencies (low) below the
set frequency, letting only high frequencies to pass through. The LPF cuts
frequencies (high) above the set frequency, letting only low frequencies to
pass through. You can make the following HPF and LPF adjustments:
- High: LPF (5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, 20k); HPF (800Hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k)
- Mid: LPF (25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, 20k); HPF (20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 653Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k)
- Low: LPF (25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, 20k); HPF (20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 653Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k)
- Sub: LPF (25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, 20k); HPF (20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 653Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k)
- Slope: Adjusting the HPF/LPF slope (filter attenuation
slope) lets you adjust the continuity of sound between speakers. You can
make the following slope adjustments for each frequency band:
- High-HPF: 6dB/oct., 12dB/oct., 18dB/oct., 24dB/oct., 30dB/oct., 36dB/oct.
- High-LPF, Mid-LPF, Mid-HPF, Low-LPF, Low-HPF, SW-LPF, SW-HPF: 6dB/oct., 12dB/oct., 18dB/oct., 24dB/oct., 30dB/oct. 36dB/oct.
- Phase: You can switch phase (normal/reverse) for each preamp channel output signal. This will improve the continuity of sound between speakers.
- Level: The difference in reproduced levels between connected
speakers can be corrected by adjusting the level of each select frequency
- High-LPF, High HPF, Mid-LPF, Mid-HPF: 0 dB to -24 dB
- Low-LPF, Low-HPF, SW-LPF, SW-HPF: 6 dB to -24 dB
- Mute: You can mute each preamp output channel individually. When an output channel is muted, no sound is outputted to the connected speaker.
Auto EQ and TA: Auto EQ uses the included microphone to monitor and analyze acoustics, then automatically fine-tunes all frequency bandwidths and front and rear speaker digital parametric equalization. Auto TA uses this same microphone to automatically adjust for distance between each speaker and the listening position. This entire process occurs in 543 seamless steps in just about 5 minutes to tailor specific musical and acoustic characteristics to your vehicle.
Position Adjustments: The DEX-P99RS offers the following position controls to accurately reproduce music in your vehicle:
- Balance Adjustment: You can select a balance setting that provides an ideal listening environment in all occupied seats.
- Position Selector: The Position Selector function lets you automatically adjust the speakers' output levels and inserts a delay time to match the number and position of occupied seats. You can choose Driver seat, Passenger seat, or Front seat.
- Time Alignment: The Time Alignment function lets you adjust the
distance between each speaker and the listening position, so that sound from
all speakers reaches the driver's ears in perfect sync. Time Alignment can
be set manually (custom), automatically (Auto TA), or to a default (initial)
- Initial: factory supplied time alignment setting
- Custom: adjusted time alignment that you create (0.0' to 155.39')
- Auto TA: Auto TA automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to the driver's position and adjusts speaker sound output timing accordingly (using supplied microphone)
L/R Independent 31-Band Digital Equalizer: The built-in 31-band digital equalizer allows you to precisely control the in-cabin acoustics of your vehicle. Unparalleled flexibility is provided through either Left/Right independent setup, or for easier setup L/R common is available. Each frequency band of the 31-band digital EQ (20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125hz, 160hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315hz, 400hz, 500hz, 630Hz, 800hz, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, 20k) can be adjusted from -12 to +12. There are 5 custom memories to allow multiple setups. There is also a Flat setting.
Note: The 31-band digital equalizer can also be set automatically using the auto-setup microphone.
Sound Retriever: The Sound Retriever function automatically enhances compressed audio and restores rich sound.
Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume levels.
Digital Attenuator: You can use the digital attenuator function to reduce distortion from CD or other sources recorded at higher volumes.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): SLA lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources.
MP3/WMA/WAV Playback: This unit can play MP3, WMA and WAV files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. MP3 files with a bit rate from 8-320 kbps, WMA files with a constant bit rate from 48-320 kbps, and WMA files with a variable bit rate from 48-384 kbps are supported. The unit is compatible with ID3 Tags and will display artist, folder, file, and album name, plus comments. Up to 8 directories, 99 folders and 999 files per disc are recognized by this unit.
AAC Decoding: This unit will playback AAC files encoded by iTunes recorded onto CDs, however files purchased from the iTunes Music Store (.m4a file extension) are not compatible. Tracks recorded at transmission rates of 16-320 kbps are playable on this unit.
Note: When playing compressed audio, there is no sound during fast-forward or reverse.
File Name List: The File Name List feature displays a list of MP3/WMA/AAC folders and tracks on a loaded CD or connected USB device, so you can easily access your music. Track Title List will also display the list of track titles on a CD Text disc.
Disc Titles: You can input CD titles and display them on the heaudnit's LCD display. The next time you insert a CD for which you have entered a title, the title of the CD is displayed. You can use the disc title input feature to store up to 48 CD titles in the unit. Each title can be up to 10 characters long.
Installation Angle: Optimum CD playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 60-degrees.
USB Input: The unit's rear-panel USB type-A input (attached via 8" pigtail) and the included 59" USB cable allow you to connect a USB portable audio player or USB flash memory that is USB Mass Storage Class compliant. This unit can play MP3, WMA, AAC, and/or WAV files stored on a USB Mass Storage device in FAT16 or FAT32 file system formats. MP3 files with a bit rate from 8-320 kbps, AAC files with a bit rate of 16-320 kbps, WMA files with a constant bit rate from 48-320 kbps, and WMA files with a variable bit rate from 48-384 kbps are supported. The unit is compatible with ID3 Tags and will display artist, folder, file, and album name, plus comments. Up to 8 directories, 500 folders, and 15000 files per USB device are recognized by this unit. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or on.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support connection of an Android OS device.
iPod Connectivity: The DEX-P99RS can control and playback songs from select iPods/iPhones with a standard Dock Connector. You can connect your iPod/iPhone using the unit's rear-panel USB input, the supplied 59" USB cable, and the included 23" USB/iPod dock cable (or the USB/iPod dock cable that came with your iPod/iPhone). The head unit's USB port provides a direct digital bit connection to your iPod/iPhone to the unit's DSP and DAC for high-quality sound. When connected via USB, you can choose to control the iPod from the head unit or the iPod itself. You can perform multiple search functions, including playlist, genre, artist, or album searches. You can also select random and repeat functions for a certain song, all songs, or specific folders. The head unit will also display your iPod's music file information, including Play Time, Song Title, Artist Name, and Album Title. The unit also offers Link Search, which searches for other songs of the currently selected artist, album, or genre. While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the USB connection will power and charge your iPod. The Pioneer DEX-P99RS is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 6/24/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The DEX-P99RS is equipped with a front panel 2.5mm stereo minijack auxiliary input (located on bottom of front-panel) for connecting external components, such as a portable MP3 player). AUX must be turned on in the setup menu in order to be selected as a source.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Motorized Face: The Pioneer Reference-Series DEX-P99RS features a motorized face which electronically slides-down, with the press of a button, to insert and eject a disc.
Detachable Face Security: This unit features Detachable Face Security. If the front panel is not detached from the head unit within five seconds of turning off the ignition, a warning tone will sound. The warning tone can be turned off in the menu, if desired. A hard-plastic face case is provide to protect the front-panel when detached.
OEL Display: The Pioneer DEX-P99RS features a white Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) dot matrix display which is easier to see in most lighting conditions. You can easily view file and folder lists from your MP3, WMA, and CD Text-encoded discs, radio presets, or data from your iPod, and XM Radio. The brightness of the display can be set between 0 and 15.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language - English, French, or Spanish.
Adjustable Illumination: You can select the illumination for the head unit's front-panel controls. You can choose between White, Red, Amber, Green, and Blue. You can also adjust the brightness of each color. In addition, you can create a custom illumination color by adjusting the level of three primary colors (Red, Green, Blue). You can even set the unit's button illumination to only turn on when you turn your vehicle's headlights on (using the radio's illumination wire).
Note: The head unit's OEL display will remain white even if button illumination is adjusted.
Entertainment Displays: You can enjoy entertainment displays while listening to each sound source. You can choose from the following: Basic Display, Spectrum Analyzer 1/2, Level Meter, or Display Off.
Ever Scroll: When the Ever Scroll feature is set to On, recorded text information scrolls continuously on the display. It will auto-scroll up to 64 characters. Set this feature to Off if you prefer the information to scroll only once.
Reverse Mode: If you don't perform an operation within approximately 30 seconds, screen indications start to reverse, and then continue reversing every 10 seconds.
Illumination Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. You can turn the dimmer function On or Off. The orange/white illumination wire must be connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit in order for this feature to work.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the Clock Display has been turned on, pressing and holding the Source button turns off audio output, but the clock display remains on. When the Clock Display has been turned off, pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely. Even if you have turned the radio completely off you can view the clock display by pressing the clock/display button. The clock will then remain On until you turn it back Off. When the unit is On you can select between the clock display or the audio track/tuner display.
Wireless Remote Control: The DEX-P99RS comes with an IR wireless remote control. The remote allows you to control the volume, switch between sources, pause the CD, change the display, and adjust the audio. The mute button allows you to quickly lower the volume by about 90% ( function that cannot be performed from the front panel). The remote comes with a dash-mount and steering-wheel mount for added convenience.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
14 questions already asked