About the Pioneer DEH-S1100UB
Simply great sound
Simply great sound
I hate getting into an older car with a bare-bones low-powered factory stereo. Flat and uninspiring are just a few of the words I'd use to describe the experience. If you're looking for a low-priced upgrade that puts the emphasis on sound quality, Pioneer's DEH-S1100UB CD receiver is a smart choice.
Control the receiver with the included remote or use Pioneer's ARC app with your Android phone.
For as long as I've been working in car audio, Pioneer's MOSFET amplifiers have set the standard for great-sounding car stereos. The DEH-S1100UB's robust amp punches out the lows and rings in the highs with authority. Pair it up with some new speakers and your daily driver will become your concert hall on wheels. If you're into shaping your sound, you can access a 5-band built-in EQ, and you can use the Pioneer ARC app with your Android™ to access even more sound controls. When you need that little bit of extra bump in your bass, connect a powered sub to the set of preamp outputs.
Pick your music
This Pioneer offers plenty of ways to enjoy your tunes. You can connect many Android phones to the USB to access your music files and enjoy basic control like next track, play, and pause, from the receiver's controls or the ARC app. And you can plug in other devices to the aux input, or play music files — even FLAC files — that you've loaded onto a thumb drive. And of course, you can slide in your favorite CD any time you want.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- FLAC file playback from USB devices
- detachable face
- 10-level illumination dimmer
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility):
- access to music files on Android (no iPod/iPhone control)
- selectable source change lets you charge your phone without activating the USB port as a source
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- Advanced Sound Retriever (ASR) for improved sound quality from compressed music files
- 5-band equalizer with seven preset tone settings
- 3-level loudness
- low-pass and high-pass filters
- subwoofer level control
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs (no iPod/iPhone control)
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt rear/subwoofer)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DEH-S1100UB
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (CXE9606)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Extraction keys
- 4 Pan head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 4 Flat-head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 9mm)
- Face fixing screw
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Limited Warranty Information
Pioneer DEH-S1100UB reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer DEH-S1100UB
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV|
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android devices through its front-panel USB-A 2.0 port. There are two types of modes to choose from based on your type of Android smartphone and what content you want to listen to.
- AOA 2.0 (Stored Music & Music Apps): The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1-7.1.2) to the DEH-S1100UB's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and select music apps from your Android device through the Pioneer receiver. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; you'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Stored Music + Song/Artist Info): The DEH-S1100UB also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Pioneer receiver's front-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
- You will need to setup Android connectivity within the head unit's menu. Select "Memory" for MTP mode and "App Control" for AOA 2.0 mode.
- Not all Android devices are compatible with AOA 2.0 or MTP, regardless of operating system. Pioneer does not guarantee operation with all Android devices.
- This unit does not support connection of Apple iOS devices.
Advanced Remote Control App (for Android): Download the Pioneer ARC (Advanced Remtoe Control) App onto your Android (OS 4.1+) device to turn your smartphone or tablet device into a remote control for the Pioneer head unit. Your Android device must be connected via USB. The following control features are available via the Pioneer Advanced Remote Control App.
- Source Selection: From the app on your Android device, you can select between the head unit's sources for playback. Choose CD, AM/FM tuner, Aux, or the music library on your device.
- Playback Functions: The app offers basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat for CD music and your mobile device's music library. You are also able to browse your Android device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Playlist. For AM/FM tuner, you are able to seek stations, switch AM/FM bands, and select presets from the Pioneer ARC app.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The Pioneer Advanced Remote Control App provides song/artist information with album art for the music stored on your Android device. You also get station identification for AM/FM radio; if an AM/FM station supports RDS, you will even get song/artist info. In addition, you get track number for CD playback.
- Favorites: The app lets you quickly display radio stations saved as favorites, plus favorite songs in your or Android device's music library. From the Favorite screen, you also get access to contacts saved as "favorites" on your smartphone.
- Select Apps: From the Pioneer ARC app, you can also pick from select music apps (like Pandora, iHeart Radio, Spotify, TuneIn) that are installed on your Android device. Once you select a specific music app, that particular music app opens on your mobile device for playback control.
Note: If you switch to other applications and functions, such as using other Android applications or placing calls from your smartphone, you must restart the Pioneer ARC app on your Android device.
Mobile Device Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
USB Auto Function: The receiver's "USB Auto" function can be set to ON to enable the head unit to automatically switch to the USB source for playback when a USB-enabled device is connected. If set to OFF, the receiver will not switch sources and simply charge the connected USB device.
Auxiliary Input: The DEH-S1100UB is equipped with a front-panel 3.5mm stereo minijack auxiliary input for connecting external components, such as a portable digital audio player.
Compatible Discs: The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB CD receiver supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. This unit can play MP3, WMA, and WAV files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs.
- Off Insert/Eject + Auto Power On: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
- Auto Off Eject: When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
- Installation Angle: Optimum CD playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 60-degrees.
USB Mass Storage Class Device: In addition to Android connectivity, the CD receiver's front-panel USB-A 2.0 port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive (up to 32GB). The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3, WMA, and WAV audio files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer DEH-S1100UB. Basic playback controls included Play/Pause, FW/RW, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the head unit.
- USB Auto Switch: The receiver also includes the USB Auto Switch feature, so when a device is connected via USB you have the option to choose whether the receiver uses the phone as a source, or just charges the device.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB ports (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Audio File Compatibility: The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB supports the following types of MP3/WMA/WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB MSC device.
|Media Type||CD (-R/RW)||USB (AOA/MTP/MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48 kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320 kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
WAV: bit rate of 8 or 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 16-48kHz (not compatible with MTP)
FLAC: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz (not compatible with MTP)
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||99 folders/999 files||500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags, WMA tags|
File/Track Name List: The Name List feature displays a list of MP3/WMA albums and tracks on a loaded CD or connected USB device, so you can easily access your music. Music files are listed first by Artist name, then by Album name, and finally by Song title.
Song/Artist Information: During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) and WMA Tag information; including artist, song, and album name.
Playback Controls: The Pioneer CD receiver provides basic operations like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random for disc and USB device playback.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Pioneer in-dash head unit utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The DEH-S1100UB is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CTA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: The power specifications for the DEH-S1100UB are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
2V/2Ch Preouts + Sub Control: The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB features one pair of 2.0-volt preouts. The unit's preouts can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or non-fading subwoofer outputs. When the head unit's preamp output is configured as a subwoofer output, you can select the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse) and the subwoofer gain (+6 to -24).
Equalizer: The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB features a Preset & Custom EQ. The built-in equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Powerful, Dynamic, Vocal, Natural, Custom 1, Custom 2, and Flat) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The two Custom modes allow you to manually adjust the head unit's 5-band EQ (80Hz, 250Hz, 800Hz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz) from +/-6dB. Custom 1 can be set separately for each source, while Custom 2 and the other 5 presets are shared settings used for all sources.
Built-In Crossovers: The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB is equipped with high and low pass crossovers to suit your type of speaker configuration.
- High-Pass Filter: When you don't want low-frequency sound to be heard through your front or rear speakers, you can simply active the head unit's HPF (high pass filter). By activating the HPF, only frequencies higher than those in the selected range are output from the front or rear speakers. The high pass filter crossover can be set to 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160 or 250 Hz. The slope level of the HPF can also be adjusted to -12 or -24 dB.
- Low-Pass Filter: When using the head unit's preout as a subwoofer output, you can activate the head unit's low-pass crossover and choose the low pass filter frequency and slope. The low pass filter crossover can be set to 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160 or 250 Hz. The slope level of the HPF can also be adjusted to -12 or - 24dB.
Bass Boost & Loudness: The DEH-S1100UB features a Bass Boost function which can be used to enhance low-frequency bass sound. The bass boost function can be set between 0-6. The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness feature to Low, Mid, High, or Off.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4dB to +4dB.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 levels of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Detachable Face Security: The Pioneer DEH-S1100UB in-dash CD receiver features detachable face security. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
LCD w/ LED Backlight: The DEH-S1100UB features a single-line, multi-segmented LCD with LED backlight that offers a black background and white alphanumeric character text. You can adjust the brightness (1-10) of the display according to the surrounding illumination.
MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect when listening to USB MSC tracks (not compatible with Android or other sources). As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose different patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music.
Clock Display: You can select between the receiver's clock display or source display. Pressing and holding the "SRC/OFF" button turns off the head unit's audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remains on (you can then press the "D" button to turn off all illumination).
Wireless Remote Control: The DEH-S1100UB comes with an IR wireless remote control. The remote allows you to control the volume, switch between sources, pause playback, skip music tracks, change display info, and adjust audio settings. You can also mute the volume (function that cannot be performed from the front panel).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
9 questions already asked