About the Pioneer DEH-S1200UB
Add quality to your ride
Add quality to your ride
Bad sound and basic audio controls — those are just a couple of the problems you'll encounter in an older car with a bare-bones, low-powered factory stereo. But upgrading doesn't have to be hard or expensive. Pioneer's DEH-S1200UB CD receiver is a great way to go when you want a low-priced upgrade that puts the emphasis on sound quality.
This receiver's removable face helps prevent thefts.
For as long as I've been working in car audio, Pioneer's MOSFET amplifiers have set the standard for great-sounding car stereos. Pair up that robust power with some new speakers and your daily driver will become your concert hall on wheels. If you're into shaping your sound, you can access a 5-band built-in EQ, and when you need that little bit of extra bump in your bass, connect a powered sub to the set of preamp outputs.
Pick your music
This Pioneer offers plenty of ways to enjoy your tunes. Use the USB input to play music files — even FLAC files — that you've loaded onto a thumb drive. Or connect your compatible Android phone to the USB to access your music files and enjoy basic control — like next track, play, and pause — from the receiver's controls. Plus you can plug in other devices to the aux input, or slip in a favorite CD whenever you want.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- MP3, WMA. WAV, and FLAC file playback from USB devices
- detachable face
- 10-level illumination dimmer
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility):
- access to music files on Android (no iPod/iPhone control)
- selectable source change lets you charge your phone without activating the USB port as a source
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- Advanced Sound Retriever (ASR) for improved sound quality from compressed music files
- 5-band equalizer with seven preset tone settings
- 3-level loudness
- low-pass and high-pass filters
- subwoofer level control
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs (no iPod/iPhone control)
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt rear/subwoofer)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DEH-S1200UB
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (CXE9606)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Extraction keys
- 4 Pan head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 4 Flat-head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 9mm)
- Face fixing screw
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
Pioneer DEH-S1200UB reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer DEH-S1200UB
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Android MTP Connectivity: You can connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.0+) to the DEH-S1200UB via USB and listen to music stored locally on the device. The process is made possible using Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which allows the receiver to recognize the Android smartphone as a music storage device. Operate basic functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, Repeat/Random from the receiver's front-panel control; plus view Metadata information such as song, artist, and album name on the head unit's front-panel LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
- Make sure the Android device is set to MTP (Transfer File) mode for USB connection.
- Pioneer does not guarantee compatiblity with all MTP compatible Android devices running OS 4.0+.
- This head unit does not support Apple iOS devices.
Advanced Remote Control App (for Android): Pioneer's Advanced Remote Control (ARC) app converts your USB-connected Android (OS 4.1 to 7.1.2) smartphone into a touchscreen remote control for the Pioneer in-dash receiver. The PIoneer ARC app allows you to control and customize the Pioneer receiver from your compatible Android smartphone device. It lets you browse your favourite music, switch sources, launch Spotify or other third-party apps and audio settings on the Pioneer receiver - all by using the touchscreen area of your compatible mobile device.
- Source Control: The app shows album art with scrolling text and data while featuring many easy to use "swipe" controls, enabling you to control volume, select the previous or next track and switch different audio sources like AM/FM, USB, Bluetooth, etc..
- Launch 3rd Party Apps: You can launch a selection of 3rd party apps on your smartphone - like Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, and Google maps - directly from within the Pioneer ARC app.
- Optimize Audio Settings: Getting the best possible sound in your car became a lot easier with Pioneer ARC, as you can simply draw an EQ curve on your smartphone's touchscreen according to your personal taste. What's more, extensive settings like crossover points are much more comprehensible and straightforward as they are presented pictorially in a centralized window on your smartphone.
- The Pioneer ARC app does not support the newest Android OS versions. It only supports Android OS 4.1 to 7.1.2.
- If you switch to other applications and functions, such as using other Android applications or placing calls from your smartphone, you must restart the Pioneer ARC app on your Android device.
Mobile Device Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
USB Auto Function: The receiver's "USB Auto" function can be set to ON to enable the head unit to automatically switch to the USB source for playback when a USB-enabled device is connected. If set to OFF, the receiver will not switch sources and simply charge the connected USB device.
Auxiliary Input: The DEH-S1200UB is equipped with a front-panel 3.5mm stereo minijack auxiliary input for connecting external components, such as a portable digital audio player.
Compatible Discs: The Pioneer DEH-S1200UB CD receiver supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. This unit can play MP3, WMA, and WAV files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs.
- Off Insert/Eject + Auto Power On: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
- Auto Off Eject: When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
- Installation Angle: Optimum CD playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 60-degrees.
USB Mass Storage Class Device: In addition to Android connectivity, the CD receiver's front-panel USB-A 2.0 port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive (up to 32GB). The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3, WMA, and WAV audio files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer DEH-S1200UB. Basic playback controls included Play/Pause, FW/RW, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the head unit.
- USB Auto Switch: The receiver also includes the USB Auto Switch feature, so when a device is connected via USB you have the option to choose whether the receiver uses the phone as a source, or just charges the device.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The head unit is not compatible with Apple iOS devices.
Audio File Compatibility: The Pioneer DEH-S1200UB supports playback of the following types of music files recorded onto a CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB MSC/MTP device.
|Media Type||CD (-R/RW)||USB (MSC/MTP)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, 48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 8/16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||99 folders/999 files||1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver.1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA/AAC/FLAC tags|
File/Track Name List: The Name List feature displays a list of MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV albums and tracks on a loaded CD or connected USB device (plus FLAC files for USB only), so you can easily access your music. Music files are listed first by Artist name, then by Album name, and finally by Song title.
Song/Artist Information: During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) and WMA Tag information; including artist, song, and album name.
Playback Controls: The Pioneer CD receiver provides basic operations like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random for disc and USB device playback.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Pioneer in-dash head unit utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The DEH-S1200UB is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CTA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: The power specifications for the DEH-S1200UB are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
2V/2Ch Preouts + Sub Control: The Pioneer DEH-S1200UB features one pair of 2.0-volt preouts. The unit's preouts can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or non-fading subwoofer outputs. When the head unit's preamp output is configured as a subwoofer output, you can select the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse) and the subwoofer gain (+6 to -24).
Equalizer: The Pioneer DEH-S1200UB features a Preset & Custom EQ. The built-in equalizer offers 9 preset sound modes (Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Dynamic, Vivid, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. ) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The two Custom modes allow you to manually adjust the head unit's 5-band EQ (80Hz, 250Hz, 800Hz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz) from +/-6dB. Custom 1 can be set separately for each source, while Custom 2 and the other 5 presets are shared settings used for all sources.
Built-In Crossovers: The Pioneer DEH-S1200UB is equipped with high and low pass crossovers to suit your type of speaker configuration.
- High-Pass Filter: When you don't want low-frequency sound to be heard through your front or rear speakers, you can simply active the head unit's HPF (high pass filter). By activating the HPF, only frequencies higher than those in the selected range are output from the front or rear speakers. The high pass filter crossover can be set to 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160 or 200 Hz. The slope level of the HPF can also be adjusted to -12 or -24 dB.
- Low-Pass Filter: When using the head unit's preout as a subwoofer output, you can activate the head unit's low-pass crossover and choose the low pass filter frequency and slope. The low pass filter crossover can be set to 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160 or 200 Hz. The slope level of the HPF can also be adjusted to -12 or - 24dB.
Bass Boost & Loudness: The DEH-S1200UB features a Bass Boost function which can be used to enhance low-frequency bass sound. The bass boost function can be set between 0-6. The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness feature to Low, Mid, High, or Off.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4dB to +4dB.
Rear Speaker Setup: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 levels of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Detachable Face Security: The Pioneer DEH-S1200UB in-dash CD receiver features detachable face security. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
LCD w/ LED Backlight: The DEH-S1200UB features a single-line, multi-segmented LCD with LED backlight that offers a black background and white alphanumeric character text. You can manually adjust the brightness (1-10) of the display and button illumination according to the surrounding illumination. You can also set specific times for the receiver's illumination to brighten and dim automatically.
MIXTRAX: MIXTRAX makes automatic remixing of tracks extra quick and easy. Simply connect your USB MSC compatible device (not compatible with Android) and listen as tracks are joined by various random sound effects in nonstop mix play to keep the groove going in full swing. MIXTRAX also features club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. Choose among multiple patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes.
Clock Display: You can select between the receiver's clock display or source display. Pressing and holding the "SRC/OFF" button turns off the head unit's audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remains on (you can then press the "D" button to turn off all illumination).
Wireless Remote Control: The DEH-S1200UB comes with an IR wireless remote control. The remote allows you to control the volume, switch between sources, pause playback, skip music tracks, change display info, and adjust audio settings. You can also mute the volume (function that cannot be performed from the front panel).
The Pioneer DEH-S1200UB replaces these items
10 questions already asked