About the Pioneer Elite® SP-EC73
Enjoy crystal-clear dialogue and special effects
Enjoy crystal-clear dialogue and special effects
You can count on the Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 center channel speaker to deliver crisp, accurate movie dialogue and robust sound effects. Developed by world-renowned speaker designer Andrew Jones, the SP-EC73 creates precise, detailed center channel sound that puts you right in the middle of the on-screen action. This speaker's outstanding clarity and performance make it a perfect center channel partner to Pioneer's Elite SP-EBS73-LR bookshelf or SP-EFS73 floor-standing speakers.
Arriving on time for better sound
The Elite CST driver places its tweeter at the center of its midrange cone for maximum clarity.
Conventional speaker designs typically place the tweeter and midrange in different locations on their front baffles. This physical separation means the sound from each driver reaches our ears at slightly different times, creating an effect which can smear subtle details and reduce intelligibility. Pioneer's Elite center channel speaker takes a different approach.
The key to the SP-EC73's clear, detailed sound is its CST (Coherent Source Transducer) Concentric Driver. This sophisticated design starts by placing a 1" soft dome tweeter directly in the center of a 4" aluminum cone midrange. Aligning the tweeter and midrange in the same axial and vertical plane ensures that all of the frequencies arrive at your ears at precisely the same instant. This eliminates timing distortion to provide more coherent sound.
To further enhance clarity, the CST driver combines a horn-shaped ring around the tweeter plus a specially curved midrange cone. Together, they create a smooth, continuous surface that acts as a wave guide, precisely controlling sound directivity into the room. This dramatically reduces interference between the midrange and tweeter for seamlessly integrated mids and highs.
Tight, dynamic bass
The SP-EC73 uses a long-throw 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer to supply tight, articulate bass that blends in precisely with the CST driver. A matching 5-1/4" passive radiator extends bass performance, but keeps it tight and tuneful. The passive radiator also eliminates the need for a port, meaning you can place the speaker inside an audio/video cabinet or near a wall without adversely affecting sound quality.
- voice-matched center channel speaker for Dolby Atmos® enabled Pioneer Elite bookshelf and floor-standing speakers
- 3-way design:
- CST (Coherent Source Transducer) Concentric Driver with 4" aluminum cone midrange and 1" soft dome tweeter for crisp, clear movie dialogue and vocals
- 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer with 5-1/4" aluminum cone passive radiator for tight, dynamic bass
- developed by world-renowned speaker engineer Andrew Jones
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
- impedance: 4 ohms
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- maximum input power: 140 watts
- over-sized magnets and vented pole piece for improved bass response
- curved cabinet sides eliminate internal standing waves for cleaner sound
- 5-way gold-plated binding posts
- included rubber feet allow speaker to be tilted up or down to aim sound towards your listening area
- black wood-grain vinyl finish
- 19-9/16"W x 7-1/2"H x 10"D
- weight: 17.6 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SP-EC73
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- Grille (installed)
- 2 Rubber feet
- Operating Guide
Pioneer Elite® SP-EC73 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer Elite® SP-EC73
Features & specs
|Midrange size (inches)||4|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/4|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Frequency Response||45-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
3-Way Speaker Design: While most center speakers compromise performance with a two-way design that requires the bass driver to reproduce a range of frequencies beyond its capabilities, Andrew Jones of Pioneer has designed the Elite center channel speaker to be a true, three-way design, so each major frequency band is represented with a separate high-, midrange and low-frequency driver. The Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 center channel loudspeaker incorporates a two-way CST driver for the highs and mids, plus a 5.25" bass woofer for the low frequencies.
Coherent Source Transducer (CST) Technology: The Pioneer Elite center channel speaker utilizes Coherent Source Transducer (CST) technology for its tweeter & midrange drivers. This unique driver design dramatically reduces interference between the midrange and tweeter, precisely controlling sound directivity at all frequencies and ensuring that direct and reflected sound arrive at the listening position with identical timing and timbre. It does all this with a 1" tweeter positioned centrally at the apex of the 4" midrange driver. Unlike a coaxial driver, which positions its high-frequency driver further forward of a larger cone, the CST concentric design eliminates audible time domain errors that cannot be avoided when drivers are not aligned on the same axial or vertical plane. The CST driver is mounted in its own individual enclosure, isolating it from the pressure waves in the main enclosure.
- 1" Tweeter: The 1" soft-dome tweeter delivers smooth, extended response and is positioned in the center of the aluminum midrange driver. A matching horn around the tweeter seamlessly integrates both drivers and creates a continuous surface for the expansion of sound waves.
- 4" Midrange: The 4" aluminum midrange cone exhibits true pistonic action and eliminates break-up within its range of operation. Its cone profile has been optimized for both midrange performance and waveguide directivity. The midrange cone terminates in a double-roll surround designed to minimize wave front disruption while also allowing maximum excursion of the midrange cone.
- Neodymium Magnets: Driving both transducers (tweeter & midrange) are dual Neodymium magnets that provide powerful and stable flux fields in their gaps.
5.25" Bass Woofer: The 5.25" aluminum cone and dust cap of the bass driver ensures true pistonic action, eliminating break-up modes within their operating range. A large diameter vented pole piece allows unrestricted airflow under the dust cap, reducing unwanted noise caused by turbulent air. An oversized magnet ensures greater bass control, while a 1.5" long throw voice coil improves power handling for full, dynamic bass.
5.25" Passive Radiator: The Pioneer Elite center channel also employs a 5.25" passive radiator to enhance bass impact for the most authoritative voices and sound effects.
Curved Cabinet Design: The cabinet of the center channel speaker is designed with gently curved sides to eliminate standing waves encountered in typical square-box designs. The black-finished cabinet integrates perfectly with contemporary and traditional interiors, while a small footprint allows flexible placement in the room.
Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 center channel speaker is fitted with gold-plated binding posts for its speaker terminals. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors and banana plugs (single or dual).
Rubber Feet: Included with the SP-EC73 center channel are two rubber feet, which should be used under the speaker to keep it stable and prevent it from rocking back and forth on the table, shelf, or stand it's placed on. The two feet can be spaced at whatever width you need to accommodate the stand, shelf or table below, but generally, the wider you space the feet, the more stable the speaker will be. You can use the rubber feet to aim the speaker vertically. If possible, adjust the speaker's vertical aim so it points straight at your head when you're seated in your favorite listening chair. This position will give you the best possible sound.
Placement: The center speaker should always be placed precisely in the middle of the front left and right speakers, and centered with your television. If possible, position the center speaker so its front baffle is at the same distance from the primary listening chair as the front left and right speakers.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?