About the Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4
Put Apple CarPlay® to work in your car
Put Apple CarPlay® to work in your car
Apple's CarPlay has made quite a splash since it first appeared. And what's not to like? You get quick access to your music, navigation, contacts and more, combined with voice control that makes for safer driving. And it's built around the easy-to-use and familiar iOS screens we know from our iPhones®. Now Pioneer's made it easy to experience CarPlay with the SPH-DA120. Put this receiver into your car, hook up your iPhone, and you'll enjoy all that CarPlay has to offer. That means easy access to your music library, your phone, messages, navigation, and many third party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
AppRadio — the next generation
Pioneer's innovative AppRadio platform moves forward with their SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4 receiver. This versatile Pioneer builds upon the impressive capabilities of the AppRadio 3 receiver by adding some new features, including compatibility with Apple CarPlay, an improved graphical user interface (GUI) that makes it easier to access and use your apps, along with dual USB inputs, an auxiliary input, and a complete set of preamp outputs — front, rear, and subwoofer.
Control your apps from the large 6.2" touchscreen.
AppRadioLIVE makes it easy
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface. You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest. And you can show several sources of information simultaneously, quickly shifting from one to another with a touch of your finger.
And what apps can you take advantage of? You'll find plenty to enjoy, including MotionX-GPS Drive, INRIX® traffic, AUPEO! Personal Radio, Pandora® Internet radio, and Pioneer's MIXTRAX, with more coming down the road. The apps will look great on the 6.2" capacitive touchscreen, which recognizes all zoom, swipe, and pinch gestures just as if you were using your smartphone.
Note: AppRadio Mode and AppRadioLIVE are currently not compatible with iOS 8 due to stability and display issues. Please see "Details" for more information.
Siri® Eyes Free
If you have an iPhone 4S or 5, you'll hear Siri's voice prompts through your vehicle's sound system, and you can make commands or ask questions through the microphone that's included with this receiver. You can set reminders, ask for songs, request directions, or anything else you'd normally do with your iPhone.
Works with Android™ phones
The AppRadio 3 doesn't leave Android by the wayside when it comes to features, either. App Mode supports many Android phones, and you can download a free Pioneer app that enables voice commands with your Android phone.
Talk hands-free and stream audio wirelessly with Bluetooth®
Built-in Bluetooth adds to the versatility of this cool receiver — pair your phone, and you'll be able to talk hands-free and access your phone book from the touchscreen. You can even stream audio from your smartphone to the receiver.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Complement your setup with a phone mount
The AppRadio 4 requires input from your iPhone from time to time — most notably when running the MotionX GPS Drive app. It's a good idea to mount your iPhone where it's easy to reach. Check out our selection of Pro.Fit mounts.
- digital multimedia receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" capacitive touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- fits double-DIN (4"-tall) dash openings
- works with Apple CarPlay
- touchscreen control over select smartphone apps — phone compatibility and connection options vary
- Siri Eyes Free with compatible iOS devices
- AppRadioLIVE integration with select apps
- voice recognition for select Android phones
- MIXTRAX audio and visual effects
- 5-band equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- subwoofer controls
- inputs: dual USB inputs, auxiliary input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- included external GPS antenna for boosting signal while using GPS apps
What's in the box:
- Digital meida receiver (w/ 6.2" touchscreen monitor)
- 10A fuse (pre-installed)
- Wiring harness
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 11.5' cable)
- Self-adhesive square
- 58" USB extension cable (w/ a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- Microphone w/ visor-bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- 6.5' Stereo minijack extension cable
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 3 Cable-clips
- Startup Guide
- Installation Manual
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- "Important Information for the User" booklet
- Online Product Registration Card
Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
Smartphone Connectivity: The Pioneer AppRadio 4 supports the most popular mobile platforms for in-car entertainment. Not only does it support Apple iOS and Android, but it also supports MirrorLink for Samsung and Sony, giving you the most choices in smartphone compatibility. The AppRadio 4 provides Apple Lightning, Apple 30-pin, USB, HDMI, and Bluetooth connectivity based on your type of smartphone. A smartphone connectivity kit will be required and sold separately.
Note: You will need to indicate which smartphone device and what type of connection you are using in the AppRadio 4's setup menu.
Made for iPhone: The AppRadio 4 offers full support for the iPhone with Lightning connector and partial support for other iPod devices with Lightning connector and iPod/iPhone devices with 30-pin connector. The AppRadio 4 is a true extension of your iPhone by giving you a 7" capacitive touchscreen to use familiar gestures you are already accustomed to on your phone. The AppRadio 4 offers -
- AppRadio and AppRadio Live Modes for the iPhone with Lightning connector.
- CarPlay for all iPhones with Lightning connector.
- Bluetooth pairing for most iPod and iPhone models with built-in Bluetooth.
- Direct USB connectivity for music playback from select iPod and iPhone devices with 30-pin or Lightning connector.
Designed for Android: Offering support for some of the most popular Android phones on the market and with the flexibility of the Android mobile platform, the AppRadio 4 provides the ability to control, view, and listen to compatible apps running on select Android powered smartphones. The AppRadio 4 offers -
- AppRadio mode for select MHL-enabled Android smartphones.
- Bluetooth pairing for Android smartphones with built-in Bluetooth.
- Direct USB connectivity for music playback from MSC compatible Android smartphones.
- MirrorLink for select Samsung and Sony smartphones running Android operating system.
AppRadio & AppRadioLive Compatibility: The AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120) supports Pioneer's AppRadio & AppRadioLive applications through your compatible Apple iOS and MHL-enabled Android device. See below for compatibility and what type of cables are needed.
- Apple iOS Compatibility: Use Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter, Pioneer's CD-IU52 Lightning Cable (or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device), and a HDMI cable (all sold separately) to connect your iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 7.0+) to the AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120)'s rear-panel USB-1 port and HDMI input. Your iPhone will also require Bluetooth pairing with the Pioneer receiver.
- Android Compatibility: You will need Pioneer's Android
cable kit (130CDAH200,
sold separately) to connect your compatible MHL-enabled Android smartphone
(OS 2.3+) to the AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120)'s rear-panel USB-2 port and HDMI input. Click
here for compatible Android devices. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and
Samsung Note II/II/IV also require an additional Samsung adapter (sold
- The Samsung MHL adapter (EPL-FU10BEBSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II.
- The Samsung HDMI adapter (EPL-3FHUBEGSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note III.
- The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter (ET-H10FAUWESTA, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note IV.
Note: Your iPhone or Android phone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to these online AppRadio app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. AppRadio apps may not be available in all regions.
AppRadio Mode: The Pioneer AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120) supports Pioneer's AppRadio mode application via iPhone (iOS 7.0+) and select MHL-enabled Android smartphones (OS 4.0+). Simply download the application from the Apple App Store or Google Play onto your compatible smartphone device. AppRadio offers full on-screen access and control of your smartphone's music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has also teamed up with various app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app for iPhone & Android consists of a variety of navigation, music, & utility apps. These integrated application are displayed on the AppRadio 4 (SPH-DA120)'s LCD touchscreen. You are able to select, view, and even control many of the apps from the Pioneer receiver. Available apps within AppRadio will depend on your type of smartphone (iPhone or Android) and your region.
- Navigation: The following navigation apps can be
utilized within AppRadio. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- Apple & Google Maps: You can view your iPhone or Android smartphone's Apple or Google maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your mobile device.
- Waze: Waze, for iPhone & Android, is a social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX (for iPhone) is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. INRIX Traffic provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- iGO Primo North America: The IGO Primo app (for iPhone) app is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.
- Navmii GPS USA: Navmii GPS USA is a free navigation app (for iPhone & Android) that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search and live search via Google or Microsoft Bing. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of user around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone, so a data connection is not required.
- Driver Assistant: In addition to navigation apps,
AppRadio offers Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication,
and vehicle diagnostic. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- DashCommand: DashCommand (for iPhone & Android) utilizes the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors in your phone to provide advanced features such as the skid pad, race track, and inclinometer. A separate OBD-II interface module (sold separately) is required.
- Extra Mile: Extra Mile (for iPhone & Android) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.
- Beej!: Beej! (for iPhone) is an in-vehicle location/navigation application. Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions or place a call to the selected business.
- Parkopedia: Parkopedia (for iPhone) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.
- TPMS: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) app (for iPhone and Android) automatically monitors pressures and temperatures of tires in real-time. It immediately alerts drivers when there is an abnormal tire pressure through voice alerts and flashing lights.
- Glympse: Glympse (for Android) is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose. When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter, and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device.
- Music: AppRadio mode
gives you access to music stored on your smartphone device and from various
online music services. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for
- CarMediaPlayer: The CarMediaPlay app (for iPhone & Android) allows you to swipe and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your Android device's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer. Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Aupeo!: The Aupeo! music app (for iPhone & Android) offers more than 120 Internet radio stations. Users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs, genres, or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner". Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the head unit's touchscreen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.
- iHeartAuto Radio: The iHeartAuto Radio app (for iPhone & Android) app offers safe, easy, free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.
- Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary Mixtrax app (for iPhone & Android) analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
- 7digital: The 7digital app (for Android) is a leading digital music provider which sells high quality MP3s across 32 countries worldwide. With over 20 million tracks in store, you're sure to find what you're looking for. With this app you can Sync your 7digital music from the cloud to your phone wirelessly, play music that is already stored on your device, and browse top album and track charts, new releases and recommendations right on the screen of this Pioneer navigation receiver.
- StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app (for iPhone) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- gMusic: The Google Music app (for iPhone) allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.
- Stezza: The Stezza app (for iPhone) has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.
- MyPV: The MyPV app (for iPhone) uses an up-to-date music video ranking system from eight countries across the world, so you can select your favorite promotional videos and create playlists. You can put videos registered on your playlists on continuous playback. Because you can also register search results from YouTube for playlists, you can easily create lists using your favorite videos. You can also repeat and loop videos registered on your playlists.
- Utility: AppRadio mode
offers additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Contacts & Calendar: Access your contacts on your iPhone or Android phone from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. You can also access your smartphone's calendar; view important events and reminders.
- Photos: View photos stored on your iPhone or Android device. Access albums and camera rolls and even view a slideshow.
- CarBrowser: The CarBrowser app (for iPhone) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Commute WX: The Commute WX app (for iPhone) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.
- Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app (for iPhone) is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.
- EC Touch: The EasyCar app (for iPhone) is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.
- Voice Directory: The Voice Directory app (for Android) is a hands-free app that uses voice to search Yellow Pages' business listings in the US and call the phone number directly. Use voice to search for a business near you or by city and state, to search by business name or business type, or to call the business directly.
- CarKeyboard: The CarKeyboard app (for Android) allows you to input text directly from the 6.95" touchscreen display of the Pioneer head unit. CarKeyboard is a customizable multi-language keyboard that works in conjunction with the AppRadio app and can also be used as the default keyboard on your Android device.
- Maxthon for Pioneer: The Maxthon Mobile Web Browser app (for Android) is packed with cool features completely free with no ads.
Note: Click here to view complete list of compatible AppRadio apps.
AppRadioLive: Now within the AppRadio App mode is the AppRadioLive App for iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 7.0+), plus select MHL-enabled Android (OS 4.2+) smartphones. The AppRadioLive app can be download at the Apple App Store or Google Play. The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native maps from your Apple or Android smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as iGO Primo (iPhone only), Navfree (iPhone only), and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account (iPhone only). Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
Apple CarPlay Compatible: The AppRadio 4 features Apple CarPlay. CarPlay is the smarter, safer and more fun way to use your iPhone in the vehicle. CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, and access messages with just a word or a touch. Apple CarPlay is compatible with Apple iPhone with Lightning-connector (iOS 7.1+). Your iPhone must be connected to the AppRadio's USB 1 port via the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or Pioneer's CD-IU52 Lightning Cable (sold separately). CarPlay supports Siri voice control and is specially designed for hands-free driving scenarios. It also works with the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen controls and offers functionality just like your iPhone with Lightning connector.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can ccess your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Apple continues to add more apps to CarPlay. Current supported apps include (fees may apply):
Note: If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Pioneer's CD-MU200 cable (130CDMU200, sold separately). For Car Play, you will only use the CD-MU200's 58" USB extension cable, and not the included 19" micro-to-USB cable. Any other USB extension cable can cause CarPlay or Android Auto to malfunction.
iPod/iPhone Direct via USB: In addition to full support of the iPhone with Lightning connector, the Pioneer AppRadio 4 also supports playback of stored music and music apps (but not AppRadio app) from other 30-pin or Lightning connector Apple devices via either USB port. Simply use Pioneer's Lightning-to-USB cable (130CDIU52, sold separately, or the Lightning or 30-pin cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the AppRadio 4. You can control your 30-pin or Lightning connector Apple device from the AppRadio 4's touchscreen, as well as view song/artist information on-screen.
- Content Browsing: From the head unit, you can search your Apple device's audio content by iTunes Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook; and your video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, or TV Show.
- ABC Search: Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z).
- Link Search: In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
- Repeat & Random: You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- Song/Artist Info: In addition, the AppRadio 4 receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art.
Note: The receiver's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected Apple device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your Apple device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AppRadio 4 supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 2/9/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||AppRadio||CarPlay||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth Technology (powered by Parrot): The AppRadio 4 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 3.0 (powered by Parrot), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Bluetooth connectivity for iPod/iPhone will automatically be terminated when your Apple device is connected to the AppRadio 4 via a Lightning or 30-pin to USB cable.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AppRadio 4 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit; only one device can be used at a time.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AppRadio 4.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The AppRadio 4 supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AppRadio 4 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AppRadio 4 allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AppRadio 4, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad (0-9, *, #, +).
- Preset Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book (w/ Alphabet Search): The phone book (up to 800 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call Log: The most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Pioneer AppRadio 4 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AppRadio 4 lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only). The head unit will also display your music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. (app must also support). When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
Siri Eyes-Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri (iOS 6.1+) via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AppRadio 4 has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for "Siri Eyes-Free" functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AppRadio 4; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Pandora App: The free Pandora App (either from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AppRadio 4 using your USB-connected (port 1), Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+), as well as Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (2.2+). The Pioneer AppRadio 4 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your Station or Genre List and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iPhone Connectivity: Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the AppRadio 4 via the appropriate Pioneer CD-IU52 iPod connector cable (sold separately), the connector-cable that came with your iPhone, or via Bluetooth.
- Android Connectivity: Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Pioneer AppRadio 4. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
Note: Access to the Pandora Radio service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
AM/FM Tuner: The Pioneer AppRadio 4 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with RDS text information display. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. BSM (Best Station Memory) lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under presets 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The AM/FM tuner has 3 FM banks and 2 AM banks. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. You can even enter an AM/FM frequency directly, using the unit's on-screen keypad (0-9). Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AppRadio 4. The receiver also display song/artist information and will charge your connected USB device.
- Music Browsing: Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB & SD/SDHC memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order.
- Link Play: Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
- Song/Artist Info: The receiver will display elapsed playing time, artist name, song title, album title, and album art.
- Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1.6A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB ports are not compatible with newer MTP Android smartphones running Honeycomb or newer operating systems (OS).
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AppRadio 4 supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a MSC USB device.
|Media Type||USB (MSC only)|
|File System||FAT 32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 5-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-44.1kHz sampling rates
720 x 576 max resolution; 4GB max file size |
MPEG-2/4: 400 x 240 max resolution; 4GB max file size
H.264: 400 x 240 max resolution; 4GB max file size
WMV: 400 x 240 max resolution; 4GB max file size
|Photo||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AppRadio 4 has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's A/V output can be set to Mirror, AV-IN, USB, iPod, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
HDMI Input: In addition to AppRadio mode for iPhone and Android, the receiver's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
Rear View Camera: The AppRadio 4 is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input to connecting an optional rear-view camera, like Pioneer's ND-BC6 (130NDBC8, sold separately).
- Auto Reverse Switching: The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image when an optional rear camera is installed. When the transmission is in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the reverse wire in the included harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds.
- Guidelines: The unit also provides four on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle.
- Towing: You can even select for the rear-view camera to stay on at all times, so you can keep an eye on the trailer you are towing.
6.2" LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The front of the Pioneer AppRadio 4 features a clean & simple aesthetic look with only six physical buttons (Home, Volume up/down, Mode, Skip Previous/Next) combined with a high-resolution WVGA (800 x 480) 6.2" capacitive touchscreen display. This capacitive touchscreen requires less pressure, responds faster, and can recognize multiple touch points simultaneously; all advantages when compared to traditional resistive touchscreen displays. The AppRadio 4' 6.2" capacitive touchscreen offers touch, swipe, pinch, and zoom gestures. Touchscreen control is used for all functions including the AppRadio mode interface, CarPlay, MirrorLink, Pandora, AM/FM radio, and Bluetooth. All of the AppRadio 4's controls have been designed specifically for in-vehicle operation to promote a safe driving experience.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AppRadio 4's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Home Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used touch-sensitive buttons along the left edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose among twelve patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music.
Pass-Code Security: You can create a 5 to 16 character password that must be entered if the head unit is disconnected from power.
Optional Steering Wheel Control Adapter: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AppRadio 4 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AppRadio 4 features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AppRadio 4 lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AppRadio 4 employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App/Media App Control mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone/iPad. It is also not supported by USB MTP devices.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
109 questions already asked