About the Pioneer VSX-530
Budget-friendly home theater thrills
Budget-friendly home theater thrills
There's no need to spend a fortune setting up a great home theater system. With connections for just about any entertainment source, the Pioneer VSX-530 is a convenient hub with plenty of power to deliver detailed, dynamic sound. Add a 5.1-channel speaker system for immersive surround sound effects right out of the gate, or start with one pair of speakers and build your system gradually. Either way, this receiver will add flavor to your home entertainment, bringing excitement to date nights, family movie nights, and game nights. Once you've experienced true home theater sound, you might wonder how you lived without it.
Beyond the basics
The VSX-530 has connections for your Blu-ray player, cable or satellite box, streaming devices and more. Ready for the latest 4K Ultra HD TVs, all four of this receiver's HDMI inputs feature HDCP 2.2 technology to ensure compatibility with upcoming 4K sources and content. Use the front-panel USB port to connect a thumb drive loaded with music files and enjoy rich, full sound through your home speakers. Bluetooth streaming gives you plenty more music options. Anything you can listen to on your phone or tablet, you can stream directly to the VSX-530. AptX technology ensures the highest-quality audio from Bluetooth streams, and Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever restores detail to compressed audio formats so you'll get high-quality sound no matter what you listen to.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Phase Control technology for clear, consistent sound from all sources
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from a USB memory device
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and monitor output)
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from a USB memory device
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- full-sized headphone jack
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6-5/8"H x 13-13/16"D
- weight: 18.25 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VSX-530-K
What's in the box:
- 5.1ch AV receiver
- Remote control (AXD7741)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Operating Instructions on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Safety Brochure
- "Preventing Shorting of Speaker Cords" note
- "Additional Information" sheet
Pioneer VSX-530 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer VSX-530
Features & specs
Discrete Direct Energy Amplification: The Pioneer VSX-530-K AV receiver is equipped with a discrete 5-channel amplifier rated at 80 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20Hz-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels). The Discrete Direct Energy Amplifier design creates a wide range frequency response that makes it ideal for reproducing new high resolution audio formats. With this proprietary amplifier design, Pioneer's engineers have found the key to managing the wide fluctuations in heat that can significantly alter the overall audio performance of each of the discrete amplified channels. By utilizing a new temperature compensation circuitry of the temperature fluctuations are effectively minimized between channels to maintain high quality audio from all connected devices. The Direct Energy amplifier also features a low impedance, high current, and compact circuit design to maximize performance in the critical output stages.
192kHz/24-bit DAC + TI Aureus DSP Engine: The Pioneer VSX-530-K receiver is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs) to decode and playback high-resolution recordings with clearer sound. The VSX-530-K is also equipped with a Texas Instruments (TI) Aureus Digital Signal Processor (DSP) Engine for better surround sound reproduction.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Pioneer VSX-530-K AV receiver supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1channel surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for high-res audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, high-resolution audio quality. The Pioneer VSX-530-K supports DSD 2.8MHz (2ch) decoding thru HDMI.
Stream Direct Modes: You can use the receiver's two Direct Modes when you want to hear the truest possible reproduction of a source; all unnecessary signal processing is bypassed.
- Direct: Sources are heard according to the settings made in the Manual Speaker Setup (speaker setting, channel level, speaker distance), as well as with dual mono settings. You will hear sources according to the number of channel in the signal.
- Pure Direct: Analog and PCM sources are heard without and digital processing.
Advanced Surround Modes: The Advance Surround Modes create a variety of surround effects. You can choose from Action, Drama, Advanced Game, Sports, Classical, Rock/Pop, Front Stage Surround, Extended Stereo, or Headphone Surround.
- Front Stage Surround: Allows you to create a virtual surround effect using only front speakers and a powered subwoofer.
- Extended Stereo: Allows you to listen to multi-channel stereo through all 5.1 speakers.
- Headphone Surround: When listening through headphones, you can still get a virtual surround sound effect.
Audio Enhancements: The Pioneer VSX-530-K offers several audio enhancement settings to improve your listening experience.
- Tone Controls: You can adjust the receiver's Bass & Treble independently.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: Even compressed audio such as WMA, MP3, and AAC is enhanced with another Pioneer exclusive, Advanced Sound Retriever, by filling in areas where subtle details were left out during the compression process. When audio data is removed during the compression process, sound quality often suffers from an uneven sound image. The Sound Retriever feature employs new DSP technology that helps bring CD quality sound back to compressed 2-channel audio by restoring sound pressure and smoothing jagged artifacts left over after compression.
- Phase Control: The AV receiver's Phase Control feature uses phase correction measurements to make sure your system's sound arrives at the listening position in phase, preventing unwanted distortion and/or coloring of the sound. Phase Control technology provides coherent sound reproduction through the use of phase matching for an optimal sound image at your listening position.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters when listening to the Dolby Pro Logic II or Neo:6 Music modes.
- Panorama: In DPL II, the Panorama setting broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: In DPL II, the Dimension feature allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: In DPL II, the Center Width adjustment allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
Audio Level Controls: The Pioneer VSX-530-K offers a variety of audio level controls to tailor your audio.
- Auto Level Control: The Auto Level Control equalizes volume differences between portable audio tracks or television programming and eliminates jarring volume changes.
- Dynamic Range Control: This function adjusts the level of dynamic range for movie soundtracks optimized for Dolby Digital/DTS formats. This feature is helpful when listening to Dolby Digital/DTS soundtracks at low volume levels.
- Midnight Listening: The Midnight Listening mode allows you to hear effective surround sound of movies at lower volumes.
- Loudness: The Loudness function is used to get good bass and treble from music sources at low volumes.
- LFE Attenuate: Dolby Digital and DTS audio sources can include ultra-low bass tones. Set the LFE Attenuator as necessary to prevent the ultra low bass tones from distorting the sound from the speakers. The LFE attenuator can be set to 0, -5, -10, -15, or -20 dB.
Audio Connections: Here is a lists of some of the audio connections that you'll find on the VSX-530-K A/V receiver.
- Digital Inputs: The Pioneer receiver is equipped with one optical digital input and one coaxial digital input that support up to 24-bit/192kHz, 5.1ch audio.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for the front channel speakers, and spring clip terminals for the surround and center channel speakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, single banana plugs, and pin connectors. The spring clip terminals will only accept bare wire and pin connectors.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
AM/FM Tuner: The Pioneer VSX-530-K is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner with 30 preset stations. For easier identification, you can name all of your saved preset stations. The receiver includes an external indoor AM loop antenna and FM wire antenna.
HDMI 2.0: The VSX-530-K provides connectivity for all your sources like Blu-ray Disc players, cable boxes, and gaming consoles. Offering four HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 output, the VSX-530-K handles 4K Ultra-HD. 4K Ultra HD is the latest high-definition video display format, with 4x the resolution of 1080p. Ready to deliver 4K Ultra-HD video signals to a compatible TV, the Pioneer VSX-530-K supports home theater systems dedicated to producing the highest quality picture available today.
- 4K/60Hz/4:4:4 + HDCP 2.2: Each of the VSX-530-K's HDMI jacks support 4K Ultra-HD video at 60 fps with up to 4:4:4 color subsampling. The VSX-530-K's HDMI connectivity also features HDCP 2.2 technology (High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection); HDCP ensures the receiver's compatibility with the many upcoming 4K ultra HD sources and televisions.
- 3D Ready: The VSX-530-K AV receiver supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). 3D provides a more engaging audio and video consumer experience. Note that special eyewear is required for viewing 3D content.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The VSX-530-K also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- AV Sync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually (up to 500ms) or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically.
HDMI Standby Through: HDMI Standby Through mode lets video and audio signals pass through the VSX-530-K to your TV even when the receiver is off. You can select from the following HDMI Standby Through functions.
- HDMI Input: The selected HDMI input signal is output to your television during standby mode.
- Last: The HDMI input signal previously select will be output to your television during standby mode.
- Off: HDMI signal is not output during standby mode.
Composite Video: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the receiver provide two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output that will support 480i video signals only.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy MP3, WMA, and AAC music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive. Compatible USB devices must be mass storage class compliant and formatted in FAT16/32. The receiver's remote control can be used for basic playback of files stored on your USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/0.5A). The USB function of this receiver supports the following file formats.
|File Type||Bit-Rate||Sampling Frequency|
|MP3||32-320 kbps||32/44.1/48 kHz|
|WMA||48-192 kbps||32/44.1/48 kHz|
|AAC||16-320 kbps||32/44.1/48 kHz|
Note: Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphone/tablets. Not guaranteed to work with all USB devices. Not compatible with USB hubs or computers/laptops.
Bluetooth Music Streaming w/ aptX: The VSX-530-K is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0 to let you enjoy wireless audio playback of stored music and music apps on your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the Pioneer receiver. In addition to the standard SBC Bluetooth codec, the VSX-530K supports AAC & aptX. AAC offers better audio quality for Apple iOS devices, while aptX allows you to enjoy CD-quality sound with minimal latency and syncing issues for newer Android devices (OS 4.0 and above). You will still use your Bluetooth device to control music playback and to view song/artist information.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AV receiver.
On-Screen Menu (via analog): The VSX-530-K features an intuitive on-screen menu for use with the included remote, so you can make guided adjustments to your home theater sound. The on-screen menu is only visible when connecting the receiver to your television via HDMI. The on-screen menu will not appear via composite video.
IR Remote: The supplied IR wireless remote control is pre-coded to control the Pioneer AV receiver and other Pioneer audio/video components.
Display Dimmer: You can dim or brighten the receiver's front-panel display. The brightness level can be controlled in four steps.
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set to 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Auto Power Down: This function automatically turns off the power when the receiver has not operated for 2, 4, or 6 hours.
ECO Mode: The new, energy-saving ECO Mode found on all 2014 Pioneer AV receivers goes far beyond the conventional wisdom about "green" electronics, with a standby power consumption of only 0.1 watt when enabled. Pioneer's ECO Mode reduces power consumption in both on and standby modes, so you can feel better about your entertainment experience without sacrificing power or features. The intelligent ECO Mode analyzes your sources in real time, adjusting power consumption accordingly to meet your needs, or you can choose the power-saving settings that are right for you.
Firmware Upgrades: You can download firmware updates from the Pioneer website for the VSX-530-K using the unit's front-panel USB port and thumbdrive (sold separately). Visit Pioneer's A/V Receiver Support Site for the latest firmware updates.
The Pioneer VSX-530 replaces these items
- 5-channel amplifier; 80 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from an iPod®, iPhone®, or USB memory device
- HDMI 2.0 compatibility with 4K/60p video pass-through
7 questions already asked