About the Pioneer DEH-X2800UI
I've always admired Pioneer's knack for laying out their receiver's controls logically, and for creating control menus that put you in charge without excessive trips to the owner's manual. Pioneer's DEH-X2800UI CD receiver is no exception, epitomizing thoughtful design that values function first. Slip behind the wheel and you're ready to listen to your music from your iPod®, iPhone®, or Android™ music libraries, as well as your favorite CDs. And your favorite streaming music services are on tap when you plug into the front-panel USB input, too.
Better Android access
The DEH-X2800UI's logical layout makes it easy to use.
Previous Pioneer receivers let you access music files stored on many Android phones through USB. This generation goes a step further with Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you plug in compatible devices via USB and control music streaming apps like Pandora®. You'll enjoy excellent sound quality and you won't have to pick up the phone whenever you want to skip a track.
Download Pioneer's Advanced Remote Control App (ARC) to your iOS or Android device, plug in via USB, and you've got a smart remote control for your Pioneer in the palm of your hand. You'll use your touchscreen to access advanced functions like source selection, playback, music library browsing, music app selection, and much more.
Powerful sound and sound controls
Pioneer's potent MOSFET amplifier delivers plenty of power, aided by a 5-band EQ that lets you tweak the sound as much as you want. You can also switch quickly between seven preset equalizer curves to get the sound you're looking for during your drive.
Spice it up with MIXTRAX
If you're looking for a little visual excitement to go with your audio, MIXTRAX syncs the audio from many of your sources, adding transitions between songs along with a pulsing bright white light show that moves with the beat of the music. It's like riding down the road with your own DJ on board.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- detachable face with single-line 13-character display
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience with compatible devices
- 10-step illumination dimmer control, plus illumination timer
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad controls
- compatible with Pioneer's Advanced Remote Control smartphone app
- Pandora control through iPhone and Android
- music file and streaming audio playback from select Android devices through USB input (see Details for Android compatibility info)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- Advanced Sound Retriever (ASR) for improved sound quality from compressed music files
- Easy EQ 5-band equalizer with seven preset tone settings
- 3-level loudness
- low-pass and high-pass filters
- subwoofer level control
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt rear/subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (w/ 10A mini-fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (QXE1047)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Extraction keys
- 4 Pan head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 4 Flat-head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 9mm)
- Face fixing screw
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Limited Warranty Information (US/CA)
Pioneer DEH-X2800UI reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer DEH-X2800UI
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, WAV|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android devices through its front-panel USB port. There are two types of modes to choose from based on your type of Android smartphone and what content you want to listen to.
- AOA 2.0 (Stored Music & Music Apps): The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1+) to the DEH-X2800UI's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and select music apps from your Android device through the Pioneer receiver. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; you'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Stored Music w/ Song/Artist Info): The DEH-X2800UI also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Pioneer receiver's front-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: You will need to setup Android connectivity within the head unit's menu. Select "Memory" for MTP mode and "App Control" for AOA 2.0 mode.
iPod Direct Connect via USB: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI supports audio playback of stored music & music apps on your Apple iPod/iPhone, along with control and song/artist information display through its front-panel USB port.
- Connectivity: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI's front-panel USB
port can be used to connect your Lightning or 30-pin dock connector
iPod/iPhone to the head unit.
- Lightning: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Pioneer's Lightning-to-USB cable (130CDIU52, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DEH-X2800UI.
- 30-Pin: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin dock connector, you can use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device or a 3rd party dock connector-to-USB cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DEH-X2800UI.
- Control Modes: You can choose to operate your
iPod/iPhone through the head unit's front-panel controls, from its
clickwheel/touchscreen, or via a streamed app from your iPhone.
- Head Unit: From the head unit, you can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically. In addition, the head unit offers Link Play, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, and Song/Artist/Album name. Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked, so you can access music apps; other iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during this mode.
- iPod/iPhone: In iPod mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen, while still being able to view song/artist information and control basic playback functions from the head unit. You will not be able to browse your iPod/iPhone's music by category from the head unit or use Link Play in this mode.
- Apps: App mode lets you listen to your favorite music apps from your iPhone (iOS 5.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. Once you have selected the music app from your iPhone, you'll be able to listen to music from that app through the Pioneer head unit, view song/artist information on the head unit's LCD, and operate basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track from the head unit's front-panel control. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/2/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Apps||ARC||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Advanced Remote Control App (for Apple iOS & Android): Download the Pioneer ARC (Advanced Remote Control) App onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) or Android (4.1+) device to turn your smartphone or tablet device into a remote control for the Pioneer head unit. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected via USB. The following control features are available via the Pioneer Advanced Remote Control App.
- Source Selection: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select between the head unit's sources for playback. Choose CD, AM/FM tuner, Aux, or the music library on your device.
- Playback Functions: The app offers basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat for CD music and your mobile device's music library. You are also able to browse your Apple iOS or Android device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Playlist. For AM/FM tuner, you are able to seek stations, switch AM/FM bands, and select presets from the Pioneer ARC app.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The Pioneer Advanced Remote Control App provides song/artist information with album art for the music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device. You also get station identification for AM/FM radio; if an AM/FM station supports RDS, you will even get song/artist info. In addition, you get track number for CD playback.
- Favorites: The app lets you quickly display radio stations saved as favorites, plus favorite songs in your Apple iOS or Android device's music library. From the Favorite screen, you also get access to contacts saved as "favorites" on your smartphone.
- Select Apps: From the Pioneer ARC app, you can also pick from select music apps (like Pandora, iHeart, Spotify, TuneIn) that are installed on your Apple iOS or Android device. Once you select a specific music app, that particular music app opens on your mobile device for playback control.
Note: If you switch to other applications and functions, such as using other iOS device or Android applications or placing calls from your smartphone, you must restart the Pioneer ARC app on your iOS device or Android device.
Mobile Device Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Android smartphone or Apple iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it). The receiver even offers a "USB Auto Switch" feature so when your device is connected via USB you have the option to choose whether the receiver uses the phone as a source, or just charges the device.
Pandora App: The free Pandora App lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer DEH-X2800UI using your connected Apple iPhone, via the Pioneer iPod connector cable (sold separately) or the connector cable that came with your iPhone. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora Radio application from Apple's App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI will provide control over the Pandora music service and display Artist/Album/Song information.
- Station List w/ Shuffle: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- New Stations + Delete: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also delete a station from your Pandora station list.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 levels of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Compatible Discs: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI CD receiver supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. This unit can play MP3, WMA, and WAV files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs
- Off Insert/Eject + Auto Off Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
- Installation Angle: Optimum CD playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 60-degrees.
Front-Panel USB Input: The CD receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or flashdrive (up to 32GB). The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3, WMA, and WAV audio files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer DEH-X2800UI. Basic playback controls included Play/Pause, FW/RW, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the head unit.
MP3/WMA/WAV Playback: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI supports the following types of MP3/WMA/WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB MSC device.
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
WAV: bit rate of 8/16-bit w/ sampling rate of 16-48kHz or 22.05-44.1kHz (not supported by MTP)
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||99 folders/999 files||500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver.1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tags|
File/Track Name List: The Name List feature displays a list of MP3/WMA albums and tracks on a loaded CD or connected USB device, so you can easily access your music. Music files are listed first by Artist name, then by Album name, and finally by Song title.
Song/Artist Information: During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) and WMA Tag information; including artist, song, and album name.
Playback Controls: The Pioneer CD receiver provides basic operations like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random for disc and USB device playback.
Auxiliary Input: The DEH-X2800UI is equipped with a front-panel 3.5mm stereo minijack auxiliary input for connecting external components, such as a portable digital audio player.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Pioneer in-dash head unit utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The DEH-X2800UI is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: The power specifications for the DEH-X2800UI are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
2V/2Ch Preouts + Sub Control: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI features one pair of 2.0-volt preouts. The unit's preouts can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or non-fading subwoofer outputs. When the head unit's preamp output is configured as a subwoofer output, you can select the frequency of the low pass filter (50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 125 Hz), select the filter slope (-12/-24dB), select the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse), and the subwoofer gain (+6 to -24).
Equalizer: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI features a Preset & Custom EQ. The built-in equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Powerful, Dynamic, Vocal, Natural, Custom 1, Custom 2, and Flat) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The two Custom modes allow you to manually adjust the head unit's 5-band EQ (80Hz, 250Hz, 800Hz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz) from +/-6dB. Custom 1 can be set separately for each source, while Custom 2 and the other 5 presets are shared settings used for all sources.
High-Pass Crossover: When you don't want low-frequency sound to be heard through your front or rear speakers, you can simply active the head unit's HPF (high pass filter). By activating the HPF, only frequencies higher than those in the selected range are output from the front or rear speakers. The high pass filter crossover can be set to 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160hz, 200Hz or Off. The slope level of the HPF can also be adjusted to -12dB or 24dB.
Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. Hear the detail, warmth, and clarity, the way the artist intended it, from all of your highly compressed MP3 and WMA files stored on your USB device, iPod/iPhone, and portable media players. By restoring data (especially higher frequencies) that tends to get lost in the digital compression process, Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever technology enhances audio reproduction nearly all the way up to 20 kHz frequencies
Audio Level Settings: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI CD receiver offers a variety of audio settings to tailor the bass, treble, and volume level to your preference.
- Bass Boost The DEH-X2800UI features a bass boost function which can be used to enhance low-frequency bass sound. The bass boost function can be set between 0-6.
- Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness feature to Low, Mid, High, or Off.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4dB to +4dB.
Rear Speaker Setup: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 3 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPod/iPhone, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone, and is not supported by USB MTP devices. The Advanced Sound Retriever function is disabled when MIXTRAX is activated.
Detachable Face Security: The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI in-dash CD receiver features detachable face security. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
LCD w/ LED Backlight: The DEH-X2800UI features a single-line, multi-segmented LCD with LED backlight that offers a black background and white alphanumeric character text. You can adjust the brightness (1-10) of the display according to the surrounding illumination.
MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose different patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music.
Clock Display: When the Clock Display has been turned on, pressing and holding the "SRC" button turns off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remains on (you can press the "DISP" button to turn off). When the Clock Display has been turned off, pressing and holding the "SRC" button turns the unit off completely. Even if you have turned the radio completely off you can view the clock display by pressing the "DISP" button. The clock will then remain On until you turn it back Off. When the unit is On, you can select between the clock display or the audio track/tuner display.
Wireless Remote Control: The DEH-X2800UI comes with an IR wireless remote control. The remote allows you to control the volume, switch between sources, pause playback, skip music tracks, change display info, and adjust audio settings. You can also mute the volume (function that cannot be performed from the front panel).
The Pioneer DEH-X2800UI replaces these items
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience with compatible devices
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad controls
- Pandora control through iPhone
7 questions already asked