About the Pioneer FH-X520UI
Go big, go bold
Fill the 4" tall dash opening in your car with Pioneer's FH-X520UI CD receiver. This striking receiver covers the space with a multi-color display that lets you choose from thousands of colors — you can even set up one color for the display and another for the buttons. For some extra visual excitement, MIXTRAX syncs the audio from many of your sources, adding transitions between songs along with a light show that pulses and changes color with the beat of the music — like cruising down the road with your own personal DJ on board. (Need Bluetooth? Check out Pioneer's FH-X720BT CD receiver.)
Customize the display and button colors to match your car.
Plenty of music and media options
Plug your iPod® or iPhone® into the front-panel USB input, and you'll be able to control your music files and playlists. If you're a Pandora® fan, you'll have control of your favorite stations from the receiver when your iPhone's connected, plus you can create stations on the fly. You can also use the USB input to tap into the music files stored on many Android devices, while the front aux input handles just about any other audio source. If you can't live without CDs, you'll enjoy stellar playback of your store-bought and home-burned discs.
You shape the sound
Pioneer's potent MOSFET amplifier delivers plenty of power, and you can use the 5-band EQ to shape the sound for your vehicle. You can also switch quickly between seven preset equalizer curves to get the sound you're looking for during your drive. The two pairs of preamp outputs make it easier to add external amplifiers or a powered sub.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- variable color illumination with separate control of display and buttons and 10-level dimmer
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience with compatible devices
- fits double-DIN (4"-tall) dash openings
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- built in iPod, iPhone, and iPad controls
- Pandora control through iPhone
- music file playback on select Android devices through USB input
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- Advanced Sound Retriever (ASR) for improved sound quality from compressed music files
- Easy EQ 5-band equalizer with seven preset tone settings
- 3-level loudness
- low-pass and high-pass filters
- subwoofer level control
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (w/ 10A mini-fuse inserted into chassis)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (QXE1047)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 6 Pan head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 9mm)
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Limited Warranty Information (US/CA)
Pioneer FH-X520UI reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Pioneer FH-X520UI
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, WAV|
Compatible Discs: The Pioneer FH-X520UI CD receiver supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. This unit can play MP3, WMA, and WAV files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs
Front-Panel USB Input (Android Compliant): The CD receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) or USB Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3, WMA, and WAV audio files stored on your portable USB MSC/MTP device through the Pioneer FH-X520UI. Basic playback controls included Play/Pause, FW/RW, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Song/artist information such as track, artist, and album name will also be displayed on the head unit. In addition, USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- MSC Playback: The Pioneer FH-X520UI's USB port enables playback & control of MP3/WMA/WAV music files stored on your portable USB MSC device, like your older Android smartphone (w/ OS 2.2+ [Froyo/Gingerbread]) or USB thumbdrive device (up to 32GB) through the head unit.
- MTP Playback: The FH-X520UI's USB port also enables playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your portable USB MTP device, like your newer Android smartphone (w/ OS 4.0+ [Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean/KitKat]) through the Pioneer head unit.
Note: You cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
MP3/WMA/WAV Playback: The Pioneer FH-X520UI supports the following types of MP3/WMA/WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB MSC/MTP device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB (MSC/MTP)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
WAV: bit rate of 8/16-bit w/ sampling rate of 16-48kHz or 22.05-44.1kHz (not compatible w/ MTP)
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||99 folders/999 files||500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver.1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tags|
File/Track Name List: The Name List feature displays a list of MP3/WMA albums and tracks on a loaded CD or connected USB device, so you can easily access your music. Music files are listed first by Artist name, then by Album name, and finally by Song title.
Song/Artist Information: During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) and WMA Tag information; including artist, song, and album name.
Playback Controls: The Pioneer CD receiver provides basic operations like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random for disc and USB device playback. When a compatible Android smartphone is connected, the head unit will control music playback functions; you will not be able to control your music from the smartphone.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Off Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
Installation Angle: Optimum CD playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 60-degrees.
iPod Direct Connection: The Pioneer FH-X520UI's front-panel USB port can be used to connect your Lightning or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. The FH-X520UI supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Pioneer's Lightning-to-USB cable (130CDIU52, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the FH-X520UI.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin dock connector, you can use Pioneer's dock connector-to-USB cable (130CDIU51, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the FH-X520UI.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
iPod Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 94dB. The Pioneer head unit supports audio playback of stored music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps on your iPod or iPhone. You can choose to operate your iPod/iPhone through the head unit's front-panel controls, from its clickwheel/touchscreen, or via a streamed app from your iPhone.
- Head Unit Mode: From the head unit, you can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically. In addition, the head unit offers Link Play, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, and Song/Artist/Album name. Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked, so you can access music apps; other iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during this mode.
- iPod Mode: In iPod mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen, while still being able to view song/artist information and control basic playback functions from the head unit. You will not be able to browse your iPod/iPhone's music by category from the head unit or use Link Play in this mode.
- App Mode: App mode lets you listen to your favorite music apps from your iPhone (iOS 5.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. Once you have selected the music app from your iPhone, you'll be able to listen to music from that app through the Pioneer head unit, view song/artist information on the head unit's LCD, and operate basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track from the head unit's front-panel control. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer FH-X520UI is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/26/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||App Mode||Pandora App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The FH-X520UI is equipped with a front-panel 3.5mm stereo minijack auxiliary input for connecting external components, such as a portable MP3 player.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 levels of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Pandora App: The free Pandora App lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer FH-X520UI using your connected Apple iPhone, via the Pioneer iPod connector cable (sold separately) or the connector cable that came with your iPhone. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora Radio application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Pioneer FH-X520UI will provide control over the Pandora music service and display Artist/Album/Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Shuffle Station List: You can listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- New Stations + Delete: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also delete a station from your Pandora station list.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Pioneer in-dash head unit utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The FH-X520UI is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power specifications for the FH-X520UI are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
4ch/2V Preouts: The Pioneer FH-X520UI features two pair of 2.0-volt preouts. The unit's Rear/SW preouts can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or a non-fading subwoofer outputs. When the head unit's RW/SW preouts are configured as a subwoofer output, you can select the frequency of the low pass filter (50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 125 Hz), select the filter slope (-6/-12dB), select the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse), and the subwoofer gain (+6 to -24).
Equalizer: The Pioneer FH-X520UI features a Preset & Custom EQ. The built-in equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Powerful, Dynamic, Vocal, Natural, Custom 1, Custom 2, and Flat) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The two Custom modes allow you to manually adjust the head unit's 5-band EQ (80Hz, 250Hz, 800Hz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz) from +/-6dB. Custom 1 can be set separately for each source (except for USB/iPod/Pandora); while Custom 2 and the other 5 presets are shared settings used for all sources.
High-Pass Crossover: When you don't want low-frequency sound to be heard through your front or rear speakers, you can simply active the head unit's HPF (high pass filter). By activating the HPF, only frequencies higher than those in the selected range are output from the front or rear speakers. The high pass filter crossover can be set to 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160hz, 200Hz or Off. The slope level of the HPF can also be adjusted to -6dB or 12dB.
Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. Hear the detail, warmth, and clarity, the way the artist intended it, from all of your highly compressed MP3 and WMA files stored on your USB device, iPod/iPhone, and portable media players. By restoring data (especially higher frequencies) that tends to get lost in the digital compression process, Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever technology enhances audio reproduction nearly all the way up to 20 kHz frequencies
Audio Level Settings: The Pioneer FH-X520UI CD receiver offers a variety of audio settings to tailor the bass, treble, and volume level to your preference.
- Bass Boost The FH-X520UI features a bass boost function which can be used to enhance low-frequency bass sound. The bass boost function can be set between 0-6.
- Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness feature to Low, Mid, High, or Off.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4dB to +4dB.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone, and is not supported by USB MTP devices. The Advanced Sound Retriever function is disabled when MIXTRAX is activated.
Two-Line Display: The two-line, multi-segmented LCD with LED backlight is 35% larger than previous models and offers improved visibility and legibility.
Color Customization: Color Customization lets the user match their receiver illumination to their vehicle's interior lighting. Over 210,000 colors are available to match the illumination of almost any car. The button illumination and display illumination colors can be customized separately for an endless number of color combinations. You can select from 5 preset colors (White/Red/Amber/Green/Blue), customize an illumination color (by adjusting Red/Blue/Green brightness levels), or scan through a variety of colors.
Brightness Control: You can manually adjust the brightness (1-10) of the head unit's display to suit your viewing needs. You can also sync the receiver's illumination to the head units' clock or your vehicle's headlights. To dim the receiver's display automatically when the vehicle's headlights are turned on, you'll need to hardwire the orange/white wire of the head unit's harness to your vehicle's parking light circuit.
MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose among twelve patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music. You can also choose which area's of the head unit's face illuminates; select Display, Display/Buttons, or Off.
Clock Display: When the Clock Display has been turned on, pressing and holding the "SRC" button turns off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remains on (you can press the "DISP" button to turn off). When the Clock Display has been turned off, pressing and holding the "SRC" button turns the unit off completely. Even if you have turned the radio completely off you can view the clock display by pressing the "DISP" button. The clock will then remain On until you turn it back Off. When the unit is On, you can choose to have the clock display during playback of each source.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On/Off within the menu.
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer FH-X520UI has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double -DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Wireless Remote Control: The FH-X520UI comes with an IR wireless remote control. The remote allows you to control the volume, switch between sources, pause playback, skip music tracks, change display info, and adjust audio settings. You can also mute the volume (function that cannot be performed from the front panel).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
24 questions already asked