About the Technics SU-G700M2 Grand Class
Classic amplifier with a high-performance DAC
Classic amplifier with a high-performance DAC
The SU-G700M2 has retro-classic design and fantastic sound.
The SU-G700M2 Grand Class integrated amp has a classic look, with illuminated VU meters front and center. Under the hood, it's a state-of-the-art Class D amplifier with digital and analog inputs, including a versatile dedicated phono input. And its sturdy, high-quality construction is built to last.
Natural detailed sound
Technics makes really nice gear. You'll see their products in recording studios, DJ rigs, and hi-fi stereo setups — where the SU-G700M2 fits right in. Its robust and carefully engineered amplifier circuit uses high-speed switching for super-efficient power delivery to your speakers — 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 140 watts in to 4 ohms.
There's sophisticated circuitry on board for reducing jitter and other noise. And you can engage the Load Adaptive Phase Calibration (LAPC) feature from the included remote to tailor the amp's output to your specific pair of connected speakers. The amplifier runs a series of test tones then applies correction, similar to room correction in a home theater receiver.
Vintage and modern connections
I'd be pretty excited to use this amp with a turntable — the Technics SL-1210G Grand Class, perhaps? Its gain-adjustable phono input can handle moving magnet and moving coil cartridges. You can also use the second of its two analog inputs to connect an external preamp if you only want to use the SU-G700M2's power amp section.
It has ample digital inputs too. Two coaxial and two optical inputs let you connect a network streamer, CD player, TV, or other component with a digital output. And the USB Type-B input lets you connect a computer or external drive to get the maximum resolution — up to 32-bit/384kHz — out of its high-performance built-in DAC.
For unobtrusive listening — and to immerse yourself in the magic of two-channel audio — there's a dedicated headphone amp with a full-sized jack on the front panel.
Elegant design and build-quality
The SU-G700M2 looks just great, with its understated design and carefully-crafted build. At just under 30 pounds, it also feels very substantial. And I will never tire of watching VU meters dance to the music.
Its beautiful 7mm-thick aluminum front panel is sandwiched between a two-layer bottom chassis with 1.2mm and 2mm steel plates and a 1.6mm steel top plate. Inside, three discrete sections keep the power supply and output circuits separate from the input circuits. All of this helps keep noise and distortion to a minimum.
- 70 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (1kHz) at 0.5% THD
- 140 watts x 2 into 4 ohms (1kHz) at 0.5% THD
- illuminated VU meters on the front panel
- dimmable display shows selected source and other info
- frequency response:
- phono: 20-20,000 Hz (±1dB RIAA deviation)
- line/digital: 5-80,000 Hz (-3dB)
- high-quality built-in DAC
- JENO engine (jitter elimination and noise-shaping optimization) for clear sound from digital sources
- selectable LAPC (load adaptive phase calibration) uses digital processing to optimize output for your speakers
- amplifier runs a series of test tones and applies correction
- quiet and efficient power supply
- three-section internal construction with partitions between circuit blocks
- dedicated built-in Class AA headphone amplifier with full-size 1/4" front-panel headphone jack
- remote with batteries included
- 2 stereo RCA inputs (line 1, line 2/main in)
- connect a separate preamp to line 2/main in and use SU-G700M2 as power amp only
- stereo RCA phono input (MM, MC) with four-level gain adjustment
- 2 optical digital inputs (support audio signals up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- 2 coaxial digital inputs (support audio signals up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- USB-B input for connecting a computer (supports PCM-based files up to 32-bit/384kHz and DSD up to 11.2 MHz)
- stereo RCA line output
- stereo RCA preamp output for connecting to a separate power amplifier
- five-way binding posts
- USB Type A port for updates only
- 3.5mm 12V trigger
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-15/16W" x 5-13/16"H x 18-7/8"D
- weight: 28 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SU-G700M2-K
What's in the box:
Technics SU-G700M2 Grand Class owner's manual
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (N2QAYA000143)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Owner's Manual
Technics SU-G700M2 Grand Class reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Technics SU-G700M2 Grand Class
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||70|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||140|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|DAC Bit Depth||32-bit|
|DAC Sample Rate||384 kHz|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Home Theater Bypass||Fixed|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 2-prong|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
JENO Engine: In order to faithfully transmit the massive amount of audio data sent to the speakers without loss, the SU-G700M2 power amp section uses full digital amplification employing the JENO Engine. In order to solve the issue of sound quality degradation due to jitter, which poses problems for conventional digital amplifiers, the SU-G700M2 has an original jitter reduction circuit that eliminates jitter over the entire audible frequency range. Also, a unique, high-precision PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) conversion circuit is used for PWM conversion, which is important for sound quality. By optimizing items such as the noise-shaping speed, degree, and quantization number through Technics' unique expertise, data even in the wide dynamic range contained in high-resolution sound sources is converted to PWM signals without loss. These technologies provide reproduction of natural and finely detailed sound, enabling perception even of delicate music nuances.
- 8-Ohm: 70 watts x 2 channels @ 1kHz with 0.5% THD
- 4-Ohm: 140 watts x 2 channels @ 1kHz with 0.5% THD
LAPC (Load Adaptive Phase Calibration): Speaker impedance changes with each frequency and a power amplifier is required to drive speakers without being affected by the speakers' characteristics. However, conventional digital amplifiers are connected to speakers through a low-pass filter at the output stage, so they are even more strongly affected by the speaker impedance characteristics. Also, although the amplitude characteristics of conventional amplifiers due to negative feedback were improved, the phase characteristics could not be enhanced. Technics thus developed a speaker impedance adaptive optimization algorithm that performs correction to the ideal impulse response through digital signal processing by measuring the frequency amplitude-phase characteristics of the amplifier with the speakers connected. This new technique enables flattening the frequency characteristics of amplitude and phase, which had previously not been achieved by amplifiers, as well as delivering a sound with rich spatial expression.
Advanced Speed Silent Power Supply: The power supply technology incorporated in Technics' reference-class model SU-R1000 has been employed in the SU-G700M2 for improved speaker drive power and a greater feel of energy. The switching frequency has been increased from the conventional 100kHz band to the 400kHz band to ensure stable supply of voltage and current and to reduce adverse effects of modulation noise on the audio quality. The device is equipped with the same GaN FET and SiC SBD as those mounted in the Technics SU-R1000 to deliver maximum performance from the high-speed switching power supply system. Furthermore, low-noise reference voltage generation and control circuits ensure stable power supply output with minimum noise.
- Super High Speed Switching Supply: High frequency switching reduces ripple noise by shifting the switching frequency into higher ranges that are off the audible audio range. This eliminates adverse effects on the audio quality by avoiding the use of voice band frequencies.
- Super Low Noise Regulator: A Super Low Noise Regulator is provided in the later stage. It prevents the decrease of regulation due to fixed switching frequency and impedes the mixing of noise component into high frequencies. The result is a low-noise and high-response power supply that maximizes the performance of the digital amplifier.
- Block Electrolytic Capacitor: The power supply unit for the amplifier features Technics’ exclusive block electrolytic capacitor optimized through precision tuning, which was previously installed in the Technics reference-class model SU-R1000.
3-Section Configuration: In integrated amplifiers there are a variety of circuits, including circuits that handle the micro-signals of inputs and those that handle a large current, such as output circuits and power-supply circuits. The SU-G700M2 uses a 3-section construction with partitions installed between the circuit blocks according to the signal level handled. This eliminates interference between circuit blocks, thus achieving clear sound quality. In addition to the 3-section construction, the SU-G700M2 comes with a bottom chassis featuring a 2-layer construction with 1.2mm-thick and 2mm-thick steel plates, a top-panel made of a 1.6mm-thick steel plate and a 7mm-thick aluminum front-panel for improved vibration damping.
Class AA Headphone Amp: The SU-G700M2 features a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack and uses a Class AA headphone amplifier with separate amplifier circuits for voltage amplification and current amplification of the audio signal. The voltage is amplified by a high-grade operational amplifier, the current is amplified by an operational amplifier with high current-supply capability, and the high-grade PWM signal output from the JENO Engine is converted to analog with high precision, thus enabling headphones to be ideally driven. This makes it possible to reproduce music with low distortion and a wide frequency range no matter what the headphone impedance load.
Low-Noise Phono Input: The Technics SU-G700M2 integrated amplifier's Phono input achieves low noise by using a differential parallel connection configuration of a first-stage, low-noise FET. In addition, 4-level gain adjustment enables selection of the best gain according to the cartridge type (MM or MC) and output. This enables optimal playback of high-grade analog recorded sound sources tailored to your application. The integrated amp's large Phono ground terminal will accommodate a thick, large-diameter ground wire.
High Quality DAC: The Technics SU-G700M2 integrated amplifier employs a high quality DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for its USB-B input, as well as its optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital inputs. The internal DAC can support up to 32-bit/384kHz via USB-B, up to 24-bit/192kHz via Coaxial digital, and up to 24-bit/192kHz via Optical digital.
USB-B Input with Technics Audio Player App: The SU-G700M2 is equipped with a USB-B input for connection to your Windows PC or Mac computer. You'll be able to playback a variety of compressed and Hi-Res music files stored on your laptop or desktop computer through the Technics integrated amplifier. You'll need to download the Technics Audio Player onto your Windows PC or Mac computer. The Technics Audio Player is a music player application for Windows and Mac with high-resolution audio data processing capabilities. It also provides control functions such as Playlist (Create/Edit/Save), Play/Pause/Stop, Previous/Next Track, Shuffle/Random, and Repeat (Playlist/Tack).
- PCM(.wav): 44.1 to 384 kHz; 16 to 32-bit
- FLAC(.flac): 44.1 to 384 kHz; 16 to 24-bit
- AIFF(.aiff,.aif): 44.1 to 384 kHz; 16 to 32-bit
- ALAC(.m4a): 32 to 96 kHz; 16 to 24-bit
- MP3(.mp3): 32 to 320 kbps
- DSF(.dsf): 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz; 22.4MHz (Windows OS / ASIO Native mode only)
- DSDIFF(.dff): 2.8/5.6/11.2MHz; 22.4MHz (Windows OS / ASIO Native mode only)
Notes: Compatible Windows & Mac operating systems -
- Windows: 8.1 and 10 - *requires dedicated USB driver for Windows
- MacOS: 10.12, 10.13, 10.14, 10.15, 11.0, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4 - *no additional USB drivers required for Mac computers
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Technics SU-G700M2 is outfitted with two optical (toslink) and two coaxial (RCA) digital audio inputs to connect a CD or SACD player. These digital inputs support 16-bit or 24-bit 2ch PCM audio files. The optical digital inputs will supports up to 96kHz sampling frequencies, while the coaxial digital inputs will accept up to 192kHz sampling frequencies.
Note: The optical and coaxial digital inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel audio formats.
Analog Line Inputs & Outputs: In addition to its Phono MM/MC input, the SU-G700M2 features two sets of stereo analog line-level RCA inputs and one set of outputs. The stereo analog line-level RCA inputs can be used to connect a CD player or AM/FM tuner. The stereo analog line-level output can be used to connect a CD recorder to record audio from the integrated amp's analog line-level inputs or Phono input.
Note: The analog line output does not support the optical/coaxial digital inputs and USB-B input.
Speaker Outputs & Preouts: The Technics SU-G700M2 is equipped with speaker output terminals and a stereo RCA preout for different applications.
- Binding Post Terminals: The SU-G700M2 is outfitted with sturdy, heavy-duty binding post speaker output terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, or banana plugs (single only). The screws used for securing the wires sending audio signals to the speaker terminals are made of nonmagnetic brass. You can connect a pair of 4 to 16 ohm loudspeakers.
- Stereo RCA Preout: The SU-G700M2 has a stereo RCA preout that allows you to connect an external power amplifier or powered subwoofer. The stereo RCA preout is full-range, so you'll need a powered sub with its own low-pass crossover filter.
Note: You can have sound output from both the integrated amp's binding post speaker output terminals and the stereo RCA preout at the same time. You can also turn-off the stereo RCA preouts or speaker outputs, so sound is only output from one of them (not both).
Front-Panel Display & VU Meters: The Technics SU-G700M2 integrated amp features a front-panel display window which indicates Input Source Selection, Volume Level, and Menu Settings. It also features two front-panel Peak Power Meters for the amplifier's Left & Right channels.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: The Technics SU-G700M2 offers convenient front-panel control for Power On/Off, Input Source Selector, and Volume Up/Down. The included IR remote control provides full wireless operation of the SU-G700M2 integrated amplifier. The remote can also be used to operate playback functions of Technics Network and SACD players (sold separately). There is a rear-panel Control Input (3.5mm) that allows control synchronization with other Technics audio components so they are turned on and off at the same time, as well as switch to the correct input source automatically.
Audio Controls: The Technics SUG700M2 integrated amplifier offers Bass, Midrange, and Treble adjustment from -10 to +10. It also offers balance control (18db L/18dB R) and Mute (ATT) function. The volume control range for this unit is -98.0 dB (min) to -20.0 dB (max).
Power Requirements: The Technics SU-G700M2 comes with a detachable 6' AC power cord (IEC 2-prong) that will need to be plugged into the back of the integrated amplifier and an AC power outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). If the integrated amp is left unused with no audio signal or operation for about 20 minutes, the unit will enter Standby mode to conserve its power consumption and save energy.
Service & Firmware Updates: There is a rear-panel USB-A port on back of the SU-G700M2 integrated amp that is used for service and updates only. You can check here for the latest and newest firmware updates.