About the Technics SU-G700M2 Grand Class
Classic amplifier with a high-performance DAC
Classic amplifier with a high-performance DAC
The SU-G700M2 has retro-classic design and fantastic sound.
The SU-G700M2 Grand Class integrated amp has a classic look, with illuminated VU meters front and center. Under the hood, it's a state-of-the-art Class D amplifier with digital and analog inputs, including a versatile dedicated phono input. And its sturdy, high-quality construction is built to last.
Natural detailed sound
Technics makes really nice gear. You'll see their products in recording studios, DJ rigs, and hi-fi stereo setups — where the SU-G700M2 fits right in. Its robust and carefully engineered amplifier circuit uses high-speed switching for super-efficient power delivery to your speakers — 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 140 watts in to 4 ohms.
There's sophisticated circuitry on board for reducing jitter and other noise. And you can engage the Load Adaptive Phase Calibration (LAPC) feature from the included remote to tailor the amp's output to your specific pair of connected speakers. The amplifier runs a series of test tones then applies correction, similar to room correction in a home theater receiver.
Vintage and modern connections
I'd be pretty excited to use this amp with a turntable — the Technics SL-1210G Grand Class, perhaps? Its gain-adjustable phono input can handle moving magnet and moving coil cartridges. You can also use the second of its two analog inputs to connect an external preamp if you only want to use the SU-G700M2's power amp section.
It has ample digital inputs too. Two coaxial and two optical inputs let you connect a network streamer, CD player, TV, or other component with a digital output. And the USB Type-B input lets you connect a computer or external drive to get the maximum resolution — up to 32-bit/384kHz — out of its high-performance built-in DAC.
For unobtrusive listening — and to immerse yourself in the magic of two-channel audio — there's a dedicated headphone amp with a full-sized jack on the front panel.
Elegant design and build-quality
The SU-G700M2 looks just great, with its understated design and carefully-crafted build. At just under 30 pounds, it also feels very substantial. And I will never tire of watching VU meters dance to the music.
Its beautiful 7mm-thick aluminum front panel is sandwiched between a two-layer bottom chassis with 1.2mm and 2mm steel plates and a 1.6mm steel top plate. Inside, three discrete sections keep the power supply and output circuits separate from the input circuits. All of this helps keep noise and distortion to a minimum.
- 70 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (1kHz) at 0.5% THD
- 140 watts x 2 into 4 ohms (1kHz) at 0.5% THD
- illuminated VU meters on the front panel
- dimmable display shows selected source and other info
- frequency response:
- phono: 20-20,000 Hz (±1dB RIAA deviation)
- line/digital: 5-80,000 Hz (-3dB)
- high-quality built-in DAC
- JENO engine (jitter elimination and noise-shaping optimization) for clear sound from digital sources
- selectable LAPC (load adaptive phase calibration) uses digital processing to optimize output for your speakers
- amplifier runs a series of test tones and applies correction
- quiet and efficient power supply
- three-section internal construction with partitions between circuit blocks
- dedicated built-in Class AA headphone amplifier with full-size 1/4" front-panel headphone jack
- remote with batteries included
- 2 stereo RCA inputs (line 1, line 2/main in)
- connect a separate preamp to line 2/main in and use SU-G700M2 as power amp only
- stereo RCA phono input (MM, MC) with four-level gain adjustment
- 2 optical digital inputs (support audio signals up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- 2 coaxial digital inputs (support audio signals up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- USB-B input for connecting a computer (supports PCM-based files up to 32-bit/384kHz and DSD up to 11.2 MHz)
- stereo RCA line output
- stereo RCA preamp output for connecting to a separate power amplifier
- five-way binding posts
- USB Type A port for updates only
- 3.5mm 12V trigger
Dimensions and warranty:
- 16-15/16W" x 5-13/16"H x 16-7/8"D
- weight: 28 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SU-G700M2-S
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Technics SU-G700M2 Grand Class
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||70|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||140|
|Frequency Bandwidth||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||Not given|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not given|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||---|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Removable Power Cord||Yes|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 years|
|Labor Warranty||3 years|