About the Technics SL-BD20D
If you're looking for an inexpensive but reliable turntable, stick with Technics, the turntable experts. The SL-BD20D offers semi-automatic operation, at 33-1/3 or 45 rpm, with auto-return and shut-off. The low-mass tonearm and supplied P-mount moving magnet cartridge will coax sweet sounds out of your record collection.
An anti-resonant base cuts down on vibration, and a DC servo motor keeps platter rotation in tight control. All controls are outside the acrylic cover and can be accessed when the cover is closed. Plugs into your receiver's phono inputs.
- includes pre-mounted P-mount cartridge
- DC servo belt-drive
- semi-automatic operation
- 45-rpm adapter included
- minor assembly and setup required
- wow and flutter 0.045%
- 16-7/8"W x 3-13/16"H x 15-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
What's in the box:
- Turntable w/ attached cartridge
- Turntable cover
- Rubber platter mat
- 45-RPM adapter
- 68" AC power cord
- 32" stereo RCA cable
- Ground wire
- 2 manuals (English/French)
- 2 repairs/parts lists (US/Canada)
- Product registration card
- Notice with precautions
Technics SL-BD20D reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Technics SL-BD20D
On the front of the turntable (outside the dust cover) are a:
- Stop Button
- Cueing (tonearm up/down) switch
- Speed (33/45 RPM) switch
Under the dust cover, near the tone arm pivot point are two
adjustment screws. One screw adjusts the automatic-return position and is located to the left of the tonearm pivot point; the screw is recessed and covered by a rubber cap. The other adjustment screw is used to set the stylus-to-disc clearance and is located in front of
the pivot point; the screw is slightly recessed and is brass colored.
This is a semi-automatic turntable. To begin
playback, you must cue up the tonearm, move the tonearm to the playing position, then cue down the tone arm. At the end of a record (or if the "STOP"
button is pressed), the tonearm will automatically return to the arm rest and the platter will stop rotating.
The turntable will play at 33 1/3 and 45 RPM speeds. An adapter is included for playing 45 rpm records. There is a stud located to the left of the tonearm pivot that the 45 rpm adapter slips onto when not in use.
There are provisions for adjusting the automatic return position and the stylus-to-disc clearance.Tracking force and anti-skating settings are done at the factory and are not user adjustable.
P Mount Cartridge: This turntable uses a P
Mount cartridge (supplied). This type of cartridge requires very little setup (it simply
plugs in to the end of the tonearm) and is easily user replaceable.
- frequency response: 20-30kHz
- channel separation: 22dB (@ 1kHz)
- tracking force: 1.25 grams (+/- 0.25 grams)
- type: moving magnet stereo
- mounting: standard mount style
- replacement stylus: EPS-34CS
1) Removing two packing spacers (transport keys) from the turntable platter.
2) Removing blue foam spacer from beneath the counterweight.
3) Removing small plastic tonearm retaining strap.
4) Pulling the drive belt over the capstan.
5) Placing the platter mat onto the platter.
6) Sliding the dust cover into hinges at the rear of the turntable.
7) Removing plastic stylus protector.
NOTE: Tracking force and anti-skating adjustments are set at the factory and should not require user modification. Since tracking force and anti-skating are not adjustable, only the supplied cartridge should be used. We do not stock this part, but the replacement stylus (Part number EPS-34CS) can be ordered from Panasonic/Technics. This cartridge is a standard P-Mount cartridge, so you could mount another P-Mount Cartridge, but unless it has the same weight, etc. it may not be a good match for this unit.