About the JL Audio Stealthbox®
The JL Audio Stealthbox® custom-fit subwoofer delivers incredible bass in a package that takes up minimal space and blends in with your vehicle's interior. JL Audio designs Stealthboxes to fit in specific vehicles, then loads them with appropriate subwoofers for optimal performance. Pair the system with an appropriate amp and wiring for stellar concealed bass.
Perfect sound to go with the perfect fit
JL Audio puts months of research and design into each Stealthbox® custom-fit subwoofer to ensure not only that it fits, but that it sounds better than any other custom enclosed system. First, JL Audio determines the ideal shape and mounting location for each enclosure, so that it looks like an original part of the vehicle it's designed for. Next, they mount each high-performance subwoofer so it delivers amazing firepower from within its unique enclosure, without sacrificing clarity or musical depth.
The fiberglass enclosure offers superior rigidity while allowing more interior volume, so the sub can turn out louder, deeper bass. JL Audio craftsmen then laminate, grind, join, and finish each Stealthbox® by hand. The end result: full-bodied, distortion-free bass from an impressively stealthy enclosure.
Enjoy enhanced, custom-fit sound
This Stealthbox® enclosure fits under the driver side rear seat of the 2007-13 Toyota Tundra Double Cab truck. It includes one W7 8" 3-ohm subwoofer from JL Audio. Please check with us before purchasing by using the vehicle selector on our site, or calling a Sales Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to verify fit information.
JL Audio has rated the difficulty of this Stealthbox® installation as moderate or high. Crutchfield recommends using a car audio professional to install this enclosure, unless you have extensive experience installing car audio gear.
- Stealthbox® custom-fit subwoofer
- ported fiberglass enclosure
- W7 8" 3-ohm subwoofer
- fits under the driver side rear seat
- power handling: 150-500 watts RMS (1,000 watts peak power)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 94347
What's in the box:
- Custom subwoofer box with loaded 8" woofer
- 2 Hex bolts
- 2 Split-lock washers
- 2 Flat washers
- 2 L-brackets
- Installation Guide
- Warranty sheet
JL Audio Stealthbox® reviews
pretty simple, it's a great sound from such a small box, if money is an issue I understand but if you plan on keeping your truck for years get something you'll love long term.
Pros: fantastic sound out of something so small, sure it costs a little more. However, looking at the options out there for the tundra double cab it's amazing.
Cons: as others have stated the brackets don't exactly line up right to allow the seat to go down normally, luckily I don't have to raise and lower the seat that much.
0 of 0 found this helpful
This item is very expensive for what you get. Yes, it sounds good, yes it takes up very little space. No it does not sound like I have a 12 back there, it's a very hard and deep hitting 8. I have about 400 watts to it. I set the crossover to play under 70hz, anything higher is very loud and annoying mid bass. I bought the scratch and dent to save $200. I have no idea what was damaged about it, it works great. The install was complicated to attach the brackets. Perfectly aligned and the seat would not go down. I had to go back and loosen the bolts and anchor them at and angle to get the sub box far enough back to get the seat down. I like that I did not have to try to fit a pre made box to the sub or the space, the unit is plug and play ready to go. I use a Kenwood 5 channel Amp, x801-5. This amp is awesome for its size and pushes this sub well.
Pros: Added lots of bass, clean and not over powering. Don't need a lot of power to ouch this sub either. It's small and space is limited in a DC Tundra.
Cons: High cost. Tricky to install correctly, the seat does sit right on it when it's down. It's a tight fit.
0 of 1 found this helpful
Simply amazing for an 8". I went from a pair of 12" shallow mount Helix subs to the JL and I don't regret it a bit. SPL wise I am at about the same volume without losing much of the sq. It costs a bit more than some other options, but if you want to keep the stock look of your truck, this is the way to go.
Pros: Fit, sound quality, volume.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Sound is amazing! Much better than i expected. Hard deep bass! Don't think, just do it!!
Pros: Fits great in my 2010 Tundra DBL cab
Cons: None i can think of
0 of 0 found this helpful
I was a little reserved in making this purchase, but I could not be happier. I have had my fair share are killer stereos pushing some crazy db, but I wanted just a mild punch on the low ends with this setup. I was pleasantly surprised that this one JL Audio sub provided so much our of such a little package. I am running a Kenwood amp feeding 50 watts rms to all my mids and highs and 300 watts rms to this sub. I think an addition of a capacitor will finish off this project nicely, but overall I am impresses. If you have any reservations in make this purchase, throw them aside, and just do it.
Pros: Great low ends for a moderate system
Cons: I have some fine tuning on the install as my back seat does not completely fold down, but I am sure once I tweak the install, it will take care of this item.
0 of 0 found this helpful
This review is for installation in a 2008 Tundra Double Cab. To be clear, the sound is amazing for an 8" subwoofer. However, the enclosure could've been designed better. The two brackets used to attach the enclosure to the existing truck holes didn't line up correctly forcing the existing bolts to go in at an angle - not good. The force needed to tighten them felt like they were being cross-threaded. The closest distance from the surround to the back wall of the truck cab is 1/4" - 1/2" which doesn't seem like enough for the speaker excursion. The rear seat will now not lower all the way and sits about 1 1/4" higher than the adjacent seat.
Pros: Sounds great
Cons: Bad enclosure design
1 of 1 found this helpful
Spend the money, no regrets! You lose some under seat storage. But, the change in depth of the audio is worth it. This 8" sounds really good and reproduces the frequency well. It's expensive, but get over it, spend the money and be once and done. I paired mine with a JL slash 500/1 amp with the remote bass knob. It's great having that level of flexibility.
Pros: Excellent bass recreation. Hidden oem install
Cons: Loss of under seat storage.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Just like most other reviews, I was hesitant about the price. After saying "YOLO" I made the purchase. Best decision ever! I have this installed in my 08 Tundra and people really do think I have two 15's in the truck! I have it paired with all JL Audio products: rca cable, speaker wire, with JX500/1 powering the sub. Sounds amazing! Best choice I could have made! Thank you JL Audio! Oh and a side note, Crutchfield is awesome with their customer service! Very personable and actually care about the customer!
0 of 1 found this helpful
I bought my Tundra 3 years ago and have had my eye on this Stealthbox ever since I junked the stock JBL subwoofer. I have built up the rest of the system and finally pulled the trigger on this 8W7 Stealthbox. I completed the install last night and I am shocked at how much quality sound this tiny subwoofer/enclosure produces!! I'll admit the price is very high but this thing is absolutely worth every penny!!! I have a new JL Audio JX1000 pushing this sub so both are on the break in period and it still blows me away. I've had many subwoofer setups over the last 14 years and this one beats them all. The install of this enclosure is a little tricky to get lined up by yourself but it does fit nicely. All I can tell you is BUY IT, you won't be sorry! As always you get great customer service from Crutchfield.
1 of 1 found this helpful
While the price is seemingly scary the quality is exceptional. This subwoofer has the punch of two 15" subs compacted into 8". Trying to write a review doesn't do it any justice.... This is the enclosure every truck owner should own.
Pros: Just about everything
Cons: Pricing. Because it is priced a little on the high side, one may overlook the product in search for something cheaper.
3 of 4 found this helpful
Hesitated on buying cause of price was going to get two 12's for 1/2 the price. Decided to get full system replaced door speakers added tweeters and touch screen kenwood and eq with crossover. The amount of bass this woofer puts out in my 2007 tundra dc is unbelievable. Was extremely happy with the sound. I listen to everything from rock to rap to country. Bass rattles rear view and all plastic compartments in truck. Can not express enough how good the sound quality is from this product. Would buy again hands down.
1 of 2 found this helpful
THIS BOX ROCKS! Unbelievable quality and sound. Did not realize this small box could make such deep, loud music. If I had to do it again I would buy this unit, 100%
2 of 2 found this helpful
Had a hard time justifying the money for this stealth box... until I heard it in my Tundra! Awesome how much bass an 8'' sub puts out. Like another review mentioned, it covers subtle and deep bass (deep enough for me). Acoustics in a Tundra is not easy to work with... the Stealthbox fixes all of that. I priced the speaker alone and it makes up 70% of the cost... the box itself is worth the $100 (after speaker) since it tucks away so nicely under the back seat. Proud to see an American company putting out such a top notch product (even if parts of the speaker were assembled out of country). Merikah! Get-r-done! :)
Pros: Great bass. Hidden neatly even when seat bottom is pulled to the upright position. Speaker fires/faces backwards so nobody can accidentally damage it. Doesn't look like a big special built box that takes up so much space. Did I mention great bass???
Cons: It was tough getting both bolts to screw into the existing holes (seat belt and bench bracket) but was able to manage eventually.
6 of 6 found this helpful
Well worth the money if your looking for great bass and clean installation. Upgraded the stock JBL sub with this and wow! What a difference.
Pros: Easy install, amazing sound for an 8" woofer, space saver
Cons: A little pricey but justifiable
2 of 2 found this helpful
Bought this sub last year for my 09 Tundra and powered it with a Fosgate 250 watt amp. I was blown away with the sound. Biggest problem is that it hit so hard I started getting some weird distortion at certain frequencies. Ended up placing a section of egg crate foam between it and the back wall of the cab and that cleaned it up. Combined with a Kenwood Echelon x995, 2- 6x9 Memphis M-class speakers Anthe front doors,2-6.5 Memphis M-class in the back doors,2- 6x9 Kenwood Echelon speaker under the seats all powered with a MTX 4ch amp and a JL 360Audio amp and I have a concert hall in my truck. Lol
Pros: Well hidden under the back seat.
5 of 5 found this helpful
I have this JL Audio Stealthbox in my 2010 Toyota Tundra Doublecab. The amount of bass it creates is AMAZING. I have it pushed by a JL 600 watt class D mono amp and it's not only loud but tuneful as well. None of that one-note booming bass the low-downers roll up with. This goes loud but accurately as well. My best car stereo purchase EVER. I'm thinking of another one for my Scion xB even though there is room for a much bigger sub.
8 of 8 found this helpful
Simply put, this stealthbox blew me away. I am typically a 12" sub kinda guy because I love low frequency extension and relatively loud output. I bought this for my Tundra DC because I didn't want to consume any more space than necessary to get some bass in the truck, and I trust JL for good sound. I am only powering this sub with an Alpine MRP-M500 amp, which is a solid 500 watts, but can be had for a great price new! I will say this...after firing this thing up for the first time, it left me wondering how on earth this sub could dig into the lows just as well, or better, than my Solo Classic 12 in my other car; and to add to that, it plays at least as loud as the 12"! Bravo JL...
14 of 14 found this helpful
More details on the JL Audio Stealthbox®
Overview: JL Audio's Stealthbox subwoofer systems are designed to hide away in a specific vehicle. Please consult "Outfit My Car" to confirm compatibility with your vehicle.
Construction: Stealthboxes are hand-crafted from fiberglass and/or Advanced Molded Composite (AMC) materials. Fiberglass delivers a level of enclosure rigidity and dimensional stability not possible with other enclosure materials, allowing wall thickness to be reduced compared to a typical wood enclosure. This gives you more interior box volume for a given external volume. Fiberglass and AMC materials are very strong and can be molded into very complex shapes; giving JL Audio the ability to design your Stealthbox to fit perfectly into tight spots and minimize intrusion into your vehicle's useful space. Each Stealthbox is laminated, ground, joined, and finished by hand in the USA. Proprietary techniques and materials developed by JL Audio through years of fiberglass manufacturing experience ensure consistent quality and performance.
Woofer: One 8" JL Audio W7-3 subwoofer is loaded in this ported enclosure and wired as a 3Ω load at the enclosure's 5-way post speaker terminal.
- W-Cone: The JL Audio W7 subwoofer utilizes a W-Cone design, a unit-body cone assembly, that delivers astonishing cone stiffness with minimal mass. The shape also provides incredible torsional rigidity, which is critical to maintaining voice coil alignment at the suspension limits. In order to gain maximum stiffness, two lightweight mineral-filled polypropylene skins are bonded together at the perimeter and the center of the assembly. The lower skin's cross-section is shaped like a "W", and provides incredible rigidity when bonded to the dished upper skin.
- OverRoll Surround: OverRoll Surround technology allows JL Audio to make full use of the entire footprint of the speaker, placing the surround further to the outside than in a conventional woofer. This means that W7 subwoofer can use a large roll for all its benefits without sacrificing cone area. By maximizing the effective piston/total footprint ratio, the W7 subwoofer can deliver more output for a given excursion and outside frame diameter. This means that the prodigious excursion advantage of the W7 can be put to full use enhancing output, rather than making up for lost piston area. This technology also provides a geometry advantage on the outside edge of the surround roll, allowing for more linear operation. A further benefit is that the mounting holes are inherently sealed by the surround, resulting in an improved box seal.
- Ultra-Long Voice Coil: The W7 subwoofer features an ultra-long voice coil to allow extreme linear excursion, phenomenal power handling and control. The massive surface area of these coils is excellent for heat dissipation, while the huge winding height provides the necessary motivational force to achieve the huge excursion of the W7 designs. Considering their size, the W7 voice coils are extremely light in weight. The W7 uses aluminum-alloy wire (instead of conventional copper) and a specific winding method to achieve JL Audio's desired electrical properties. The light weight of the coils helps keep the overall moving mass down at manageable levels, which is extremely important for efficiency and sound quality reasons.
- Floating Cone Attachment Method (FCAM): JL Audio's patented FCAM technology is an innovative method of bonding the surround/cone assembly to the voice coil/spider assembly. This assembly technique ensures proper surround geometry in the assembled speaker for better excursion control and dynamic voice coil alignment.
- Dynamic Motor Analysis (DMA): DMA is JL Audio's proprietary method aimed at improving dynamic motor behavior. As a result of DMA optimization, W7 motors remain linear in motor force over a very long range of excursion, and also maintain a highly stable fixed magnetic field in the gap over a wide power range. The result is vastly reduced distortion, faithfully reproduced transients, and tight, clean, articulate bass.
- Massive Forced Air Cooled: The elevated frame design of the W7 delivers cool air through slots directly above the top-plate to the voice coil of the speaker. This not only enhances power handling, but also sound quality by minimizing dynamic parameter shifts and power compression.
- Radial Cross-Drilled Pole Piece: This innovative venting system greatly enhances thermal dissipation and power handling by directing air flow onto the voice coil former and works in conjunction with the Elevated Frame cooling technology to effectively remove heat from the voice coil. This improves power handling and reduces power compression effects, leading to more linear performance.
- Progressive-Roll Spider: The large, progressive-roll spider provides precise control and motor/voice coil alignment without limiting excursion prematurely.
- Plateau-Reinforced Spider Attachment: The lower reinforcement collar, attached to the voice coil former of the W7, incorporates a plateau design dedicated to relieving material stress and providing a solid attachment surface for the inner edge of the spider. The plateau of the reinforcement collar provides excellent contact area for adhesive therefore creating an incredibly strong bond at a critical point within the driver.
- Co-Extruded Double Lead Wires: The extruded casing and carefully engineered attachments ensure controlled lead-wire behavior under the most extreme excursion demands. Two conductors are used per connection for ample current carrying capability.
7 questions already asked