About the JL Audio TwK™ D8 System Tuning Processor
Tweak the sound
Tweak the sound
If you're a sound tweaker like me, you'll love JL Audio's TwK D8 System Tuning Processor for all the powerful and detailed adjustments it can apply to your vehicle's sound system. With JL Audio's TwK-TüN app on your laptop or tablet, you'll gain access to real-time tuning that can really dial in your system, including 10-band equalization, variable high- and low-pass filtering, and time delay/alignment on every channel. The TwK D8 only has an optical digital input — you'll need the TwK 88 Processor if you need a processor with preamp inputs.
It's as easy or complicated as you want
JL Audio has given the TwK D8 three Project Levels of tuning complexity (Basic, Advanced, and Expert) so you'll get fantastic sound no matter how much experience you've had tuning an audio system. The Basic Level guides you through the setups, options, and simple adjustments to achieve great sound in about 10 minutes. The Advanced Level adds extra crossover features, limited-parametric equalization, and delay/time alignment — for a tune-up that takes about 30 to 60 minutes. The Expert Project Level gives you free rein with fully manual adjustments and assignments, fully-parametric EQs, and advanced signal diagnostics, so you can take as much time as you like to play around with the sound.
Versatile connections and controls
Digital inputs and outputs ensure the cleanest, highest-quality signal connections for your TwK D8 processor in a high-definition audio system. You'll use the wired dash-mount remote to control master and subwoofer volume, select user presets, and check on the operational status of the TwK D8 so you'll know what's going on from the driver's seat.
TwK-Tun assignments, EQ, delays, crossovers and more
- 8-channel digital signal processor with optical digital input
- DSP adjustments and settings made via Windows PC running JL Audio's TwK-TuN app
- Three Project Levels of tuning:
- Basic: (10-minute set-up time) guided channel setups, basic crossover functions, 10-band graphic EQ, no delay
- Advanced: (30-60-minute set-up time) adds crossover options, limited parametric EQ, delay functions
- Expert: full manual controls with input mixer, parametric EQ, signal diagnostics
- optical digital input only
- 8 analog preamp outputs (RCA), 1 digital output (optical)
- all input channels assignable to any output channel
- channel settings can be separate or linked together
- 10-band EQ (graphic in Basic, parametric in Advanced and Expert modes)
- time alignment in 0.02 ms increments
- fully adjustable high- and low-pass filters
- selectable filter slopes (6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/octave)
- DRC-200 wired remote control included
- dimensions: 4-9/16"W x 1-15/16"H x 6-3/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98102
What's in the box:
- 5-Pin Euroblock (Phoenix) connector
- 15' USB cable (Type-A on one end
- Type-B on other end
- 18' Control cable w/ RJ-45 connectors on both ends
- DRC-200 Level Control Knob w/ 46" attached cord terminating in a female RJ-45 socket and attached status LED w/ 38" cord
- LED mounting collar
- Two locking nuts
- Two flat washers
- Owner's manual
JL Audio TwK™ D8 System Tuning Processor reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio TwK™ D8 System Tuning Processor
Overview: The JL Audio TwKD8 is a car audio signal processor designed to give world-class system tuning capabilities in an easy to use format. Featuring an advanced 24-bit DSP processor, an optical digital input that can be routed to any of the 8 analog RCA and 1 optical outputs, eight banks of 10-band graphic or parametric equalizers with configurable assignment, a powerful crossover section with high-, low-, and band-pass filtering with selectable slopes, front-seat control of configurable level and preset selection with the included DRC-200 Digital Remote Controller, and more. Configuration and routing are all done through a USB connected PC using JL Audio's TuN 2.0 software. Mac not supported.
Configuration: The TwKD8's Optical input can accept a digital signal from any device outputting a 2-channel PCM signal, with a sample rate up to 96 kHz, such as JL's FiX82 OEM integration DSP. The TuN 2.0 software allows signal routing with a clear, user-friendly screen interface which is separated into two main sections: Setup and Tune. Different tune settings can be saved and recalled as Presets. A total of 10 Presets plus a Valet Preset can be stored in one Project file, with 6 Preset available for quick selection during use. The Valet Preset is directly tied to the Valet wire, which if grounded, will switch the TwKD8 to Valet mode. This Preset can be assigned with much lower output levels or even have channels turned off, lessoning the risk of someone damaging speakers from turning the system up too high while the vehicle is being worked on or valet parked.
- Setup: The Setup screen is easy to read and gives a clear picture of the entire routing path for all channels. Each channel is listed in the Inputs column with "clickable" routing lines for the signal path that can be "drawn" on-screen to the next step in the signal chain. Input Sensitivity can be set here with tri-colored meters to show signal level with clipping. Each input goes through the Input Mixer section, then to the Equalizers. This screen shows which channels go through which of the eight 10-band equalizers and includes a basic Level adjustment for each. From there, the signal paths run through the Crossover section and then to the assignable Output section. Each Output Channel includes a tri-colored Level Meter and a Mute button. The Optical Digital output provides an un-processed pass-through for the input signal. The Setup screen also includes a channel assignment section for the DRC-200 Digital Remote Controller's two rotary controls, allowing each channel to be individually assigned to either or both rotary functions.
- Tune: The Tune screen is where detailed settings can be made to
the Equalizer, Crossover, Delay/Polarity, and Output Level.
- Equalizer: The TuN software includes eight assignable, 10-band Equalizers that can be either Graphic or Parametric. The Graphic EQ's default bands are: 31, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, and 16000 Hz while in Parametric mode, they're variable. The Q, or width of the EQ band, is fixed in Graphic EQ mode and variable from 0.26 to 10 in Parametric mode. Either type can have the Level adjusted by +6 dB to -12 dB. There's an option for Input Channel pairs to be Linked, so they both have identical EQ curves. Each EQ band can be individually bypassed as well.
- Crossovers: Each signal channel can pass through its own Crossover to further refine the sound. Crossover types are: High-pass, Low-pass, and Band-pass filters with a choice between two Alignments: Linkwitz-Riley (with 12, 24, or 48 dB per octave slope options) and Butterworth (with 12, 18, 24, 36, or 48 dB per octave slope options).
- Delay/Polarity: In order to compensate for uneven distances between speakers, the TuN software allows each channel to be delayed up to 21.3 milliseconds, or 24 feet of speaker distance. An Additional Delay setting allows the user to add more to the baseline delay in either 0.2 or 0.02 ms increments. A Polarity setting allows each channel to have the polarity inverted if necessary.
- Output Level: This section gives each Output Channel a level trim control with a range of +12.0 to -12.0 dB.
DRC-200: The JL Audio DRC-200 is a panel-mounted, wired digital remote controller that connects to the JLid port of the TwKD8. It consists of dual-concentric rotary controls with stops, push-button functionality for the inner knob, and a separate RGB LED status indicator that can be dash mounted. The control knob and the LED are both wired into a single RJ-45 socket via 46" cables. An 18' control cable, terminating in male RJ-45 jacks, plugs into this socket and is run back to the TwK88. The inner knob controls the Level for any channel assigned to it, and the outer knob can be assigned to control Subwoofer Level, Fader, or Zone control. Each knob can be independently assigned to any or all signal channels.
Inputs: The input side of the TwK88 has the following jacks:
- Optical Digital: The only input on the TwKD8, this can accept a 2-channel PCM signal from a device with an optical digital output.
- USB Port: A Type-B, 2.0 USB port is used for connection to the TuN 2.0 software and for firmware updates.
- JLID Port: This RJ-45 port is used for the DRC-200 Digital Remote Control.
- RCAs: 8 RCA jacks comprise the main outputs of the TwKD8 and are completely assignable. The output channels will get run to an outboard amplifier.
- Optical Digital: This jack can pass an un-processed signal from the Optical Digital input.
- Power/Ground Connector: A 5-pin Euroblock connector provides the inputs for +12 VDC Battery, +12 VDC Switched (remote input), Ground, Remote Out (provides a +12 V, 100 mA remote signal to trigger aftermarket amplifiers), and a Valet In. This is provided to switch the processor to the Valet Preset when it sees a ground on this terminal.
- Preset Toggle: A small push-button allows you to toggle through the Presets.
- Status LEDs: Two Signal Status LEDs are provided, one for Input
signals and one for Output signals.
- Amber: Unit is powered on, but no signal is present.
- Green: Signal is present.
- Momentary Red: Signal is clipping.
- Power Supply Type: Regulated DC-DC SMPS
- Input Operating Voltage: 10 - 16 VDC
- Operating Current Draw: 0.7 A
- Standby Current Draw: < 1.5 mA
- Recommended Fuse: 1 A
- Input Channels: 1 Optical Digital
- Output Channels: 8
- Analog Output: Unbalanced, stereo RCA jacks
- Digital Output: Optical
- Output Impedance: 450 Ω
- Optical - Optical: 4.860 mS
- Optical - Analog: 4.805 mS
- S/N Ratio: 98 dB (A-weighted, referred to 4V RMS output)
- THD+N @ Rated Output: 0.02% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
- Audio Resolution: 24 bit/ 48 kHz
- Number of EQ bands: 10 x 8 Channels
- Remote Level Control: DRC-200 (included)
- Remote Level Functions: Master Volume Control + Trim, Master Volume Control + Fader, Zone Control, LED Status reporting
- Dimensions: Width - 4.56", Height - 1.88", Dept - 6.15"
- Weight: 2.58 lbs.
3 questions already asked