About the JL Audio MHD600/4
Providing plenty of clean power is key to getting great sound on a boat. JL Audio's 4-channel MHD600/4 marine amplifier will push 150 watts RMS per channel to two sets of marine speakers from a 2" tall chassis with a footprint the size of a sheet of computer paper. Or you could use this amp to power a couple of speakers with 150 watts each, plus a subwoofer with 300 watts RMS. This versatility will really pay off as your boat's system evolves over the years, as this amp will always have a place in your setup.
JL Audio high tech
The amp uses Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply (R.I.P.S.) technology to ensure and maintain full output power with any speaker load from 1.5 to 4 ohms. JL Audio uses their patented Single Cycle Control™ technology to eliminate distortion in the output stages. Differential-balanced inputs filter out noise before it hits the preamp stages, and allow you to connect the amp to just about any stereo.
A gasketed panel protects the controls, and stainless-steel connection hardware prevents corrosion. Removable power and speaker plugs make it easy to pop this amp out if you need the space, or want to put the amp in storage.
You can use JL Audio's optional stack kit to mount one MHD Series amp on top of another, for a very cool-looking installation that'll produce maximum power from minimum space. An optional wired remote allows you to control your MHD amp's volume from the helm.
MHD600/4 control panel
- 4-channel marine amplifier
- 150 watts RMS x 4 at 1.5 to 4 ohms
- 300 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 3 to 8 ohms
- Class D amp design with Single Cycle Control and R.I.P.S. (Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply)
- frequency response: 6-30,000 Hz
- variable high- and low-pass filter on front and rear channels (50-500 Hz, 12 or 24 dB/octave)
- differential-balanced inputs help eliminate noise
- removable power and speaker plugs
- optional wired remote for level control
- optional HD stacking kit for stacking multiple MHD amps together
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input)
- preamp outputs
- wiring, fuse, and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 50-amp fuse recommended
- dimensions: 10-3/4"W x 2"H x 9-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98224
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel class-D amplifier
- Power/Ground/Turn-On plug
- Two 2-speaker connection plugs
- 4 Mounting feet
- 2.5mm Allen-wrench
- 4mm Allen-wrench
- four M4x40mm Flat head machine screws
- JL Audio badge
- Owner's manual
JL Audio MHD600/4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio MHD600/4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||150 x 4|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||---|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.03%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||150 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||300 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||3|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||1.5|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
R.I.P.S. (Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply): The regulated power supply delivers consistent power output over a range of impedance loads and input voltages; 150 watts RMS x 4-channels into a 1.5Ω to 4Ω load, with an input voltage of 11 to 14.5 volts.
- Regulated Power Supply: Regulated means the power supply adjusts its operation to maintain the amplifier's rated power output and low distortion operation over a wide range of vehicle voltages (11-14.5 volts). The result is power stability in real-world 12-volt systems.
- Intelligent Power Supply: The Intelligent portion of the R.I.P.S. System is a circuit that monitors output current to optimize the amplifier's output power over a wide range of load impedances (1.5Ω to 4Ω). The R.I.P.S. system detects the actual impedance being driven and adjusts output rail voltages to deliver optimum output. This process is automatic and accounts for the real impedance of the speakers, rather than relying on often inaccurate assumptions based on a speaker's rated impedance.
- Power Output:
- 1.5Ω-4Ω: 150 watts RMS x 4 (11-14.5 volts)
- Bridged (3Ω-8Ω): 300 watts RMS x 2 (11-14.5 volts)
- THD at rated power: <0.03% @ 4Ω
- Signal to Noise Ratio:
- At Rated Power: 110 dBA
- At 1 Watt: 88.2 dBA
- Frequency Response: 6 Hz - 30 kHz (+0/-1 dB)
- Damping Factor:
- 4Ω: >300 @ 50 Hz
- 2Ω: >150 @ 50 Hz
Class D with Single-Cycle Control: The MHD600/4 utilizes a patented Single Cycle Control Class D technology. This technology tracks the audio signal, comparing it to the real PWM waveform and then corrects it over 400,000 times per second; thus distortion-causing mechanisms can be tightly controlled to enable pristine amplification.
Compact/Efficient Design: The amplifier features an overall efficiency of 80% at ½ rated power, which leads to reductions in chassis size and current draw.
RealSink Heat Management With Rollback Protection: This amplifier employs RealSink heat management, with vertical cast alloy heat sink fins. The design of the heat sinks was refined through extensive finite-element analysis, resulting in amplifiers that stay cool under demanding conditions. If the amplifier ever reaches an unsafe temperature, the Advanced Rollback Protection circuit adjusts the power output until the amplifier cools down, without ever shutting your music down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The differential-balanced input architecture effectively controls noise and ensures compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical installation.
Note: You will need speaker wire to RCA adaptors (136XDCLR2S, sold separately) to connect this amplifier to your headunit's speaker-level outputs.
Mounting: The MHD series amps have three mounting options to choose from:
- Standard: The standard method of mounting requires removal of the four corner caps with the included 4mm Allen-wrench. Using the appropriate mounting screws (not included), you can then secure the amplifier in all four corners and re-install the corner caps.
- Mounting Feet: The included feet can be mounted to the bottom corners of the amp using the included machine screws. Including the feet, the with of the amp is 11.7" and the height is 2.145".
- Stacking: Using 136HDSTKIT Stack Kits (sold separately), multiple MHD amplifiers can be stacked on top of one another.
Control Panel Cover: The MHD600/4 features a control panel cover to protect and hide the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover ensures that the amplifier's settings are not accidentally changed. The cover is pre-installed at the factory and must be removed to access the amplifier's controls. It's secured by a single 2.5mm Allen-head screw.
Gain: Because the amplifier's R.I.P.S. feature always delivers the same amount of power within its operational impedance and power supply voltage range, the maximum, unclipped output is predictable. This makes setting the gain levels of the amplifier easy. You'll need a digital AC Voltmeter (1203320, sold separately) and an audio file with a 50 Hz sine-wave test-tone recorded at 0 dB reference.
Input Level: The range of the input sensitivity dial has two settings. Low is typically used for line-level sources (200mV-2V) and High for speaker-level (800mV-8V).
Input Mode: Set the 2-position input mode switch based on the number of inputs connected to your source unit:
- 2-Channel: only a single pair of inputs is used, connected to the front input terminals; the rear section of the amp is also fed by the front input
- 4-Channel: the front and rear inputs are used, maintaining fader control
Remote Level Control: This 2-position switch dictates which channels are controlled by the optional wired remote, all channels or only the rear channels.
Preouts From: This 2-position switch dictates which input channels supply the signal to the preamp outputs, front only or front and rear summed together.
Crossover Network: The front and rear sections of the amp have independent crossover controls:
- Mode: 3-position switch; high-pass, low-pass or Off (crossover is bypassed)
- Slope: 2-position switch; 12dB/octave (Butterworth) or 24dB/octave (Linkwitz-Riley)
- Frequency: rotary dial; variable from 50-500 Hz (actually 53-528 Hz)
Power/Ground/Turn-On: The amplifier features a Power/Ground/Turn-On plug that detaches from the amplifier to make connecting your power, ground, and remote turn-on lead wires more convenient. Once your connections are made, the plug connector simply snaps into the port on the amplifier.
- Power and Ground: The set-screw Power and Ground terminals accept up to 4-gauge wire. (4-gauge is recommended for a power wire longer than six feet.) A 4mm Allen-wrench is supplied for making the connections.
- Remote Turn-On: The set-screw turn-on terminal will accept up to 12-gauge wire. A 2.5mm Allen-wrench is supplied for making the connection.
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 50-amp fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 50-amps, the original should be replaced with a 50-amp fuse.
Speaker Output: The amplifier also features two Speaker Output plugs (front and rear) that detach from the amplifier for easier speaker wire connection. Once your speaker wires are connected, the plugs simply snap into the ports on the amplifier. The set-screw terminals will accept up to 12-gauge wire. A 2.5mm Allen-wrench is supplied for making the connections.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features two pair of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs (front and rear), used for both preamp and speaker-level inputs (200mV-8V).
Preamp Outputs: The MHD600/4 also has a pair of pass-through RCA preamp outputs, so that an additional amplifier can easily be connected without running another RCA cable. This output signal is buffered to prevent noise and is not affected by the internal crossover or gain setting. The preamp output can be fed by the front inputs only, or the front and rear inputs summed together. It's always preamp-level, regardless of the voltage level of signal feeding the inputs.
Remote Level Control: With the addition of the optional wired Remote Level Control (136HDRLC, sold separately) you can control the output level of either the entire amp, or just the rear channels (depending on the position of the Remote Level Control switch). If desired, multiple MHD amplifiers can be controlled from a single HD-RLC controller using a simple phone line splitter and multiple phone cables (all sold separately).
Note: All inputs and outputs are located on the rear side of the amplifier to make installation of the amplifier simple and neat.