About the JL Audio XD800/8v2
This 8-channel amp takes care of it all... and then some
This 8-channel amp takes care of it all... and then some
Control panel exposed
JL Audio's XD800/8v2 amp packs a wallop far beyond what you'd expect from something so small. This compact 8-channel amp plays your music with true fidelity and impressive impact, without straining your car's electrical system. A cast alloy heatsink and an advanced cooling system keep this amp at optimal temperature, eliminating thermal shut-downs so your music keeps going strong without interruption.
You can set up this versatile amp for just about any system so you'll never outgrow it, no matter how your audio plans may change. It can:
- deliver 75 watts RMS per channel to 4 pairs of speakers;
- drive separate tweeters and woofers with channels 1-4, a pair of full-range speakers with channels 5-6, and a subwoofer with channels 7 and 8 bridged together;
- power four high-performance speakers with 200 watts RMS each, in 4-channel mode;
- drive separate midbass speakers, midrange speakers, and tweeters with channels 1-6, plus power a sub with channels 7 and 8 bridged;
- or power a couple of subs with 200 watts each, while leaving four channels to run your other speakers.
High- and low-pass filters on every channel give you intimate control over the character of your sound. "Differential-balanced" inputs keep the signals clear of outside noise, and allow you to connect this amp to just about any in-dash stereo, even a factory radio with no preamp outputs. An optional wired remote lets you tweak the level from your front seat.
XD800/8v2 connection panel
- 8-channel car amplifier
- 75 watts RMS x 8 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 8 at 2 ohms)
- 200 watts RMS x 4 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable bridged)
- variable low- and high-pass filters (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- optional wired remote for level control (ch 5-8, ch 7-8, or all channels)
- Class D amplifier design with NextD switching amp technology
- differential-balanced inputs eliminate noise coming from your vehicle's electrical system
- speaker- and preamp-level inputs (speaker-level input requires an optional adapter)
- 2-channel, 4-channel, and 8-channel input modes
- auto turn-on via DC offset or signal sensing
- Advanced Rollback Protection System prevents thermal shut-down
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and an 80-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 80-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and the amplifier is recommended
- 14-3/4"W x 2"H x 7-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98259
What's in the box:
- 8-Channel Class-D amplifier
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- JL Audio emblem
- Owner's manual (English/ Spanish/ German/ French)
JL Audio XD800/8v2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio XD800/8v2
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
75 x 8 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 8|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 4|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||12-22k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||104 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
8-Channel Full-Range Amplifier: The JL Audio XD800/8v2 is an eight-channel, Class-D amplifier utilizing NexD ultra-high speed switching technology to deliver outstanding fidelity and efficiency. The amp can be operated with a wide variety of source units and system configurations.
Specifications: The XD800/8v2 is rated at 75 watts RMS x 8-channels at 14.4 volts, measured into 4Ω from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 1% THD+N. The bridged output is 200 watts RMS x 4-channels at 14.4 volts, measured into 4Ω from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 1% THD+N. Each pair of channels (1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8) is independently bridgeable, so the amp can be used in 8-channel, 7-channel, 6-channel, 5-channel, and 4-channel mode. The 2Ω output is 100 watts RMS x 8-channels at 14.4 volts, measured from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 1% THD+N. The Signal to Noise ratio is 104 dB at rated power and 84 dB at 1 watt, both A-weighted, 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
NexD Class D Technology: NexD is a switching amplifier design that combines exceptional audio quality with excellent efficiency and less complexity. This results in an affordable compact amplifier with exceptional audio quality and total efficiency.
Advanced Rollback Protection: The XD-Series amplifiers employ advanced thermal and low-impedance protection to virtually eliminate annoying amplifier shut-down events. Should any XD-Series amplifier overheat, its intelligent, unregulated power supply reacts by limiting available peak voltage until the amplifier returns to a safe temperature range. Likewise, if an impedance lower than optimal for the amplifier is present at the outputs, the XD amplifier will roll back peak voltage to protect itself without shutting down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The amplifier features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the JL Audio amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical car audio installation.
Note: You will need up to four speaker wire to RCA adaptors (136XDCLR2S, sold separately) to connect this amplifier to your headunit via speaker-level.
Protection Circuitry with Status LED: There is a single multi-color LED on the top panel to indicate the amplifier's operating status.
- Flashing Green: amplifier is powering up and audio output is muted
- Constant Green: amplifier is turned on and operating normally
- Constant Red: indicates the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the amplifier into a self-protection mode which reduces the power output; the LED will return to green and the amplifier will resume normal, full-power operation when the heat sink temperature drops back to a safe level
- Constant Amber (Yellow): indicates an over-current condition has occurred, accompanied by a muting of the affected amplifier channels (over-current can be caused by speaker impedance lower than recommended or a short-circuit in the speaker wiring)
- LED Off: the only condition that will shut down an undamaged XD800/8v2 completely is the battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage dropping below 10-volts
Cooling System: The outer shell of the JL Audio amplifier is designed to remove heat from the amplifier circuitry. For optimum cooling performance, this outer shell should be exposed to as large a volume of air as possible. Enclosing the amplifier in a small, poorly ventilated chamber can lead to excessive heat build-up and degraded performance.
Control Panel Cover: The XD800/8v2 features a Control Panel Security Cover which protects and hides the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover ensures that the amplifier's settings are not accidentally changed, while creating a clean aesthetic look for the amplifier and your installation. The cover is installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed for access the amplifier's controls. The security cover is secured by two 2.5mm Allen-head machine screws.
Gain Setting: The XD Series amplifiers have independent gain (input sensitivity) controls for each pair of output channels; in this case, 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8. Using JL Audio's guided set up requires a digital AC voltmeter and a test CD (item number 503CD104, sold separately) with a sine-wave test-tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified for that set of channels (50 Hz for subwoofer channels, 1 kHz for a midrange application).
Input Voltage: The input voltage range is broken into two sub-ranges (the sub-range is set simultaneously for all inputs, but each pair of channels has an independent gain control to set the specific voltage):
- Low: typically used with preamp level signals; variable from 200mV to 2V
- High: used with some high output preamps and most speaker level signals; variable from 800mV to 8V
Remote Level Mode: When the optional HD-RLC wired remote is added, use this switch to set which channels are affected:
- All: all channels are adjusted simultaneously
- 5-8: channels 5, 6, 7, and 8 are affected
- 7&8: only channels 7 and 8 are affected
Turn-On Mode: There are three options for turning the amp on, selected using the Turn-On Mode switch:
- Remote: The amp turns on when +12 volts is applied to the remote terminal.
- Offset: The amp turns on when a DC offset is detected on the channel 1 inputs (from a speaker-level source).
- Signal: The amp turns on when a full-range audio signal is detected on the channel 1 input (from a speaker-level source).
- 8 CH: each of the eight inputs feeds its corresponding output
- 4 CH: input 1 feeds output channels 1 and 3; input 2 feeds output channels 2 and 4; input 5 feeds output channels 5 and 7; input 6 feeds output channels 6 and 8
- 2 CH: input 1 feeds the odd numbered output channels; input 2 feeds the even numbered output channels
Crossovers: Each pair of channels (1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8) has an independent crossover, with its own mode and frequency adjustments under the removable cover plate:
- Filter Mode: three position switch; select Low Pass, High Pass, or Full-Range operation
- Filter Frequency: rotary control; set the crossover point from 50 to 500 Hz
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: The amplifier features screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections.
- Power and Ground: designed to accept 4 AWG wire; a A 2.5mm Allen wrench is supplied for making connections
- Remote Turn-On: designed to accept 18 to 8 AWG wire; the same 2.5mm Allen wrench is used for making the connection
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 80-amp fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 80-amps, the original should be replaced with an 80-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The XD800/8v2's sixteen screw clamp speaker terminals will accept 16 to 8 AWG speaker wire. The included 2.5mm Allen wrench is used for making connections.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier has four pair of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs; each pair has a dedicated gain control designed to match the input sensitivity of the amp to the specific signal source feeding it. In addition to preamp level signals, the RCA inputs are also used with speaker level signals (136XDCLR2S required and sold separately).
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features an RJ-14 telephone jack for adding an optional wired remote level control. With the addition of the optional wired remote (item number 136HDRLC, sold separately), you can control the volume of 2, 4, or all 8 channels of the XD800/8v2 from the front of your vehicle. This is useful for subwoofer level control or even as a master volume control for your system. If desired, multiple XD amplifiers can be controlled from a single HD-RLC controller using a simple phone line splitter and multiple phone cables (all sold separately).
Note: All inputs and outputs are located on one side of the amplifier to make installation simple and neat.
3 questions already asked