About the JL Audio M1000/5v2
High power for the high seas
High power for the high seas
If you're looking for an amplifier with the juice to run a complete high-performance marine audio system, JL Audio's powerful M1000/5v2marine amplifier could be just the thing you need. This 5-channel amp delivers 75 watts RMS each to four separate speakers, plus up to 600 watts to your marine subs.
The key ingredient is JL Audio's Class D NexD™ ultra-high-speed switching design, which eliminates the traditional drawbacks of a Class D amp design to deliver full-bandwidth performance, excellent efficiency, and very low distortion levels. You'll get remarkable sound quality from one compact amp that won't take up a vast amount of space on your boat.
Tough and versatile
JL Audio designed this 5-channel amp with marine use in mind, so it's not just powerful; it's also tough enough to stand up to life on the water. Special powder-coat finishes, a gasketed control cover, and rugged stainless-steel hardware combine to protect this amp against the moisture, extreme temperatures, and corrosive salt. The amp's versatile design gives you plenty of configuration options when you're building your system. Built-in high-pass, low-pass, or bandpass filter modes (depending on the channels) let you tailor the output to meet your system's needs. JL Audio's optional wired remote lets you adjust the amp's level from the helm.
- 5-channel marine amplifier
- 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 400 watts RMS at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms + 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- Class-D design
- white and gray powder-coat finishes, gasketed control cover, and stainless steel hardware
- variable high-pass filter on front channels (49-4830 Hz, 12 dB per octave)
- variable high- or bandpass filters on rear channel (49-483 Hz, 12 dB per octave)
- low-pass filter on subwoofer channel (49-483 Hz, 12 or 24 dB per octave)
- optional remote level control
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 14-3/4"W x 2-1/16"H x 7-1/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98358
What's in the box:
JL Audio M1000/5v2 owner's manual
- 5-Channel marine amplifier
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- JL Audio emblem
- Owner's manual
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
JL Audio M1000/5v2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the JL Audio M1000/5v2
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||104 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||49-483 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||49-4830 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
5-Channel Amplifier: The JL Audio M1000/5v2 is a five-channel, Class-D marine amplifier utilizing NexD ultra-high speed (channels 1-4) and NexD high-speed (subwoofer channel) switching technology. NexD is a switching amplifier design that maintains audio quality and efficiency with less complexity. The M1000/5v2 can be operated with a wide variety of source units and system configurations.
Marine Amplifier: The JL Audio M-series marine amplifiers are specifically designed for marine applications. These amps are not waterproof, however, and should not be mounted where they are likely to get wet.
Amplifier Rating: The power output at 14.4 volts, measured from 20 to 20,000 Hz (the crossover in the subwoofer section can be bypassed, so it's also rated full range), with THD+Noise of less than 1%:
- Channels 1-4:
- 4Ω: 75 watts RMS x 4-channels
- 2Ω: 100 watts RMS x 4-channels
- Bridged: 200 watts RMS x 2-channels into 4Ω (150 watts RMS x 2-channels into 8Ω)
- Subwoofer Channel:
- 4Ω: 400 watts RMS x 1-channel
- 3Ω: 500 watts RMS x 1-channel
- 2Ω: 600 watts RMS x 1-channel
Advanced Rollback Protection: The M-Series amplifiers employ advanced thermal and low-impedance protection to virtually eliminate amplifier shut-down events. Should any M-Series amplifier overheat, its intelligent unregulated power supply reacts by limiting the available peak voltage until the amplifier returns to a safe temperature range. Likewise, if an impedance lower than optimal for the amplifier is present at the outputs, the M-series amplifier will roll back peak voltage to protect itself without shutting down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The amplifier features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can connect most source units directly to the JL Audio amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical 12-volt audio installation.
Note: You will need (up to) three speaker wire-to-RCA adapters (item number 136XDCLR2S, sold separately) to connect this amplifier to your headunit's speaker level output.
Protection Circuitry With Status Indicator Lights: There is a single multi-color LED on the top panel of the amplifier to indicate the amplifier's operating status.
- Flashing Green: the amplifier is powering up and audio output is muted
- Constant Green: the amplifier is turned on and operating normally
- Constant Red: indicates the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the it into a self-protection mode, which reduces the power output; the red light will turn off and the amplifier will return to normal, full-power operating mode when the heat sink temperature drops back to a safe level
- Constant Amber (Yellow): indicates an over-current condition (short), accompanied by a muting of the amplifier's output
- LED Off: the only condition that will shut down an undamaged M1000/5v2 completely is the battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage dropping below 10 Volts; will turn back on when voltage climbs back above 11 Volts
Control Panel Cover: The M1000/5v2 features a gasketed control panel cover to protect and hide the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover protects the amp from the occasional splash and ensures the settings are not accidentally changed. The cover is installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed to access the amplifier's controls. It is secured by two 2.5mm Allen head screws.
Simplified Gain Setting: This M-series amplifier has independent gain controls for channels 1&2, 3&4, and the subwoofer channels. JL Audio makes setting the gain levels of the amp simple, using a Digital AC Voltmeter and a test signal (CD item number 503CD104, sold separately) with a sine wave test tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified for that set of channels (50 Hz for subwoofer channels, 1 kHz for a midrange application).
Crossover: Each pair of channels has independent crossover circuits with separate controls:
- Channels 1&2: high pass only
- Mode: Off (full-range), x1 (crossover point is as labeled on the dial), or x10 (crossover point is ten times the figure labeled on the dial)
- Frequency: variable from 49 Hz to 483 Hz (labeled 50 Hz to 500 Hz on the amp) when the Mode switch is in the x1 position; variable from 490 Hz to 4,830 Hz when the Mode switch is in the x10 position
- Channels 3&4:
- Mode: Off (full-range), Band Pass (uses the channel 3&4 frequency dial as the high pass component and the channel 1&2 frequency dial as the low pass component), or High Pass
- Frequency: variable from 49 Hz to 483 Hz (labeled 50 Hz to 500 Hz on the amp)
- Subwoofer Channels: low pass only
- Mode: Off (full-range), 12 dB/octave slope, or 24 dB/octave slope
- Frequency: variable from 49 Hz to 483 Hz (labeled 50 Hz to 500 Hz on the amp)
Input Mode: A three position switch lets you assign what RCA inputs are used:
- 2-Channel: inputs 1&2 send signal to amplifier channels 1&2 and 3&4; the sum of inputs 1&2 is directed to the subwoofer amplifier
- 4-Channel: inputs 1-4 feed amplifier channels 1-4; the sum of inputs 1-4 is directed to the subwoofer amplifier
- 6-Channel: each amplifier channel has a dedicated input
Input Voltage: The input voltage range is switchable:
- High: gain settings vary from 800mV to 8V; typically used for speaker level inputs
- Low: gain settings vary from 200mV to 2V; typically used for line level inputs
Remote Level Mode: If an optional HD-RLC wired remote is added, you can assign what amplifier channels it controls; all channels, or just the subwoofer channels.
Turn-on Mode: A three position switch lets you choose the method for turning the amplifier on and off:
- Remote: preferred method; when +12V is present at the remote terminal, the amplifier turns on; when the +12V is removed, the amplifier turns off
- Offset: the amplifier will turn on with the presence of a small DC signal (or offset) detected on the channel 1 input; designed for speaker-level input signals
- Signal: the amplifier will turn on with the presence of a full-range audio signal at the channel 1 input; it will turn off when the audio signal is no longer detected; designed for speaker-level input signals
Note: When the DC Offset or Signal Sensing turn-on methods are being used, the amp's Remote terminal can be used as a remote turn-on output for other amplifiers or accessories in the system.
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: The amplifier features screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections.
- Power and Ground: accept 4 gauge wire (4 gauge recommended for power and ground); tighten/loosen with the included 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Remote Turn-On: accepts 18 to 8 gauge wire; tighten/loosen with the included 2.5mm Allen wrench
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 80-amp fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 80-amps, the original should be replaced with a 80-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The six pair of screw clamp speaker terminals will accept 16 to 8 gauge wire. Use the included 2.5mm Allen wrench to tighten/loosen the connection.
Note: The two subwoofer outputs are internally wired in parallel, making it easy to connect two subwoofers (minimum impedance 4Ω each when using both).
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features three sets of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs. Each pair has a dedicated input sensitivity control. The gains can be set between 200mV and 8V.
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features an RJ-14 telephone jack for adding an optional wired remote level control (item number 136HDRLC, sold separately). A switch on the amp's control panel sets what channels the wired remote controls, All or just the Subwoofer. This is useful for subwoofer level control or as a master volume control for your system. If desired, multiple M-series amplifiers can be controlled from a single HD-RLC controller using a simple phone line splitter and multiple phone cables (all sold separately).
Note: All inputs and outputs are located on one side of the amplifier to simplify installation.
1 question already asked
Small, powerful, and easy to use. This amp is intuitive and simple to adjust. It provides more than enough power to run my large boat system and it is compact enough to fit in out of the way compartments. This is my second M Series JL amp and I'm thinking about upgrading to another M1000.
Eric from Bonney Lake, WA