About the JL Audio M800/8v2
High power for the high seas
High power for the high seas
JL Audio's M800/8v2 marine amplifier gives you serious power and incredible versatility. If you're looking for a marine amp with lots of configuration options, this 8-channel powerhouse will give you the flexibility you need to get the sound you want.
The M800/8v2 delivers 75 watts RMS to each of its eight channels, or 100 watts per channel at 2 ohms. JL Audio's NexD™ ultra-high-speed switching design allows for full-bandwidth Class D operation with low distortion and high efficiency. All this performance comes in a low-profile package too, so this amp is great for boats where space is at a premium.
Lots of configuration options
The M800/8v2 includes a frequency filter for each channel bank, which you can configure as a low-pass or high-pass filter. It also features automatic turn-on, along with a dual-range, differential-balanced input section that can handle a wide range of input voltage levels. With the addition of an HD-RLC remote level control (sold separately), you can control the level of two, four, six, or all eight channels from the driver's seat.
Here are a few of the possible configurations for the M800/8v2:
- 8-channel mode: drive four pairs of speakers with 75 watts x 8;
- 6-channel mode: drive two pairs of speakers with 75 watts x 4 at 4 ohms, plus two 4-ohm subwoofers with 200 watts each;
- 4-channel mode: drive two pairs of 4-ohm speakers with 200 watts each;
- 4-channel mode: drive left and right 4-ohm speakers with 200 watts each, plus two 4-ohm subwoofers with 200 watts each.
Made for marine use
Even though this amp is likely to be installed below deck, JL Audio designed this amp to withstand the extremes of life on the water. In addition to a durable white and gray powder-coat finish, the M800/8v2 features a gasketed cover for the controls and stainless steel hardware.
- 8-channel marine amplifier
- 75 watts RMS x 8 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 8 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 4 bridged at 4 ohms
- Class-D design
- white and gray powder-coat finishes, gasketed control cover, and stainless steel hardware
- automatic turn-on via signal sensing or DC-offset sensing
- optional remote level control
- frequency response: 12-22,000 Hz
- variable low-pass or high-pass filter (50-5000 Hz, 12 dB per octave)
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 14-3/4"W x 2-1/16"H x 7-1/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98359
What's in the box:
- 8-Channel marine amplifier
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- JL Audio emblem
- Owner's manual
JL Audio M800/8v2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio M800/8v2
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||75 x 8|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||104 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 8|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 4|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||49-483 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||49-483 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
8-Channel Full-Range Amplifier: The JL Audio M800/8v2 is an eight-channel, Class-D marine amplifier utilizing NexD ultra-high speed switching technology to deliver outstanding fidelity and efficiency. The M800/8v2 can be operated with a wide variety of source units and system configurations.
Marine Amplifier: The JL Audio M-series marine amplifiers are specifically designed for marine applications. These amps are not waterproof, however, and should not be mounted where they are likely to get wet.
Amplifier Rating: The M800/8v2 is rated at 75 Watts RMS x 8-channels at 14.4 volts, into 4Ω, measured from 20 to 20,000 Hz, with a signal-to-noise-ratio of 104 dB and THD+Noise of less than 1%.
NexD Class D Technology: NexD is a switching amplifier design that maintains audio quality and efficiency with less complexity.
Advanced Rollback Protection: The M-Series amplifiers employ advanced thermal and low-impedance protection to virtually eliminate amplifier shut-down events. Should any M-Series amplifier overheat, its intelligent unregulated power supply reacts by limiting the available peak voltage until the amplifier returns to a safe temperature range. Likewise, if an impedance lower than optimal for the amplifier is present at the outputs, the M-series amplifier will roll back peak voltage to protect itself without shutting down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The amplifier features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can connect most source units directly to the JL Audio amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical 12-volt audio installation.
Note: You will need (up to) four speaker wire-to-RCA adapters (item number 136XDCLR2S, sold separately) to connect this amplifier to your headunit's speaker level output.
Protection Circuitry With Status Indicator Lights: There is a single multi-color LED on the top panel of the amplifier to indicate the amplifier's operating status.
- Flashing Green: the amplifier is powering up and audio output is muted
- Constant Green: the amplifier is turned on and operating normally
- Constant Red: indicates the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the it into a self-protection mode, which reduces the power output; the red light will turn off and the amplifier will return to normal, full-power operating mode when the heat sink temperature drops back to a safe level
- Constant Amber (Yellow): indicates an over-current condition (short), accompanied by a muting of the amplifier's output
- LED Off: the only condition that will shut down an undamaged M800/8v2 completely is the battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage dropping below 10 Volts; will turn back on when voltage climbs back above 11 Volts
Control Panel Cover: The M800/8v2 features a gasketed control panel cover to protect and hide the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover protects the amp from the occasional splash and ensures the settings are not accidentally changed. The cover is installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed to access the amplifier's controls. It is secured by two 2.5mm Allen head screws.
Simplified Gain Setting: This M-series amplifier has independent gain controls for channels 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8. JL Audio makes setting the gain levels of the amp simple, using a Digital AC Voltmeter and a test signal (CD item number 503CD104, sold separately) with a sine wave test tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified for that set of channels (50 Hz for subwoofer channels, 1 kHz for a midrange application).
Crossover: Each pair of channels has independent crossover circuits with separate controls:
- Mode: select Low Pass, High Pass, or Off (full-range) operation
- Frequency: each crossover point is variable from 49 Hz to 483 Hz (labeled 50 Hz to 500 Hz on the amp)
Input Mode: A three position switch lets you assign what RCA inputs are used:
- 2-Channel: inputs 1&2 send signal to all eight amplifier channels
- 4-Channel: inputs 1&2 feed amplifier channels 1&2 and 3&4; inputs 5&6 feed amplifier channels 5&6 and 7&8
- 8-Channel: each amplifier channel has a dedicated input
Input Voltage: The input voltage range is switchable:
- High: gain settings vary from 800mV to 8V; typically used for speaker level inputs
- Low: gain settings vary from 200mV to 2V; typically used for line level inputs
Remote Level Mode: If an optional HD-RLC wired remote is added, you can assign what amplifier channels it controls; all channels, channels 5-8, or channels 7&8.
Turn-on Mode: A three position switch lets you choose the method for turning the amplifier on and off:
- Remote: preferred method; when +12V is present at the remote terminal, the amplifier turns on; when the +12V is removed, the amplifier turns off
- Offset: the amplifier will turn on with the presence of a small DC signal (or offset) detected on the channel 1 input; designed for speaker-level input signals
- Signal: the amplifier will turn on with the presence of a full-range audio signal at the channel 1 input; it will turn off approximately 30 seconds after the audio signal is no longer detected; designed for speaker-level input signals
Note: When the DC Offset or Signal Sensing turn-on methods are being used, the amp's Remote terminal can be used as a remote turn-on output for other amplifiers or accessories in the system.
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: The amplifier features screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections.
- Power and Ground: accept 4 gauge wire (4 gauge recommended for power and ground); tighten/loosen with the included 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Remote Turn-On: accepts 18 to 8 gauge wire; tighten/loosen with the included 2.5mm Allen wrench
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 80-amp AFS, AGU, or MAXI fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 80-amps, the original should be replaced with a 80-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The eight pair of screw clamp speaker terminals will accept 16 to 8 gauge wire. Use the included 2.5mm Allen wrench to tighten/loosen the connection.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features four sets of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs. Each pair has a dedicated input sensitivity control (channels 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, and 7&8). The gains can be set between 200mV and 8V.
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features an RJ-14 telephone jack for adding an optional wired remote level control (item number 136HDRLC, sold separately). A switch on the amp's control panel sets what channels the wired remote controls, All, 5-8, or 7 and 8. This is useful for subwoofer level control or even as a master volume control for your system. If desired, multiple M-series amplifiers can be controlled from a single HD-RLC controller using a simple phone line splitter and multiple phone cables (all sold separately).
Note: All inputs and outputs are located on one side of the amplifier to simplify installation.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked