About the JL Audio MHX300/1
Big sound from an efficient package
Big sound from an efficient package
JL Audio's MHX300/1 amplifier is proof that a small amp can pack a serious punch — up to 300 watts. Designed specifically for marine and powersports applications, this compact amp gives you big sound without stressing your charging system.
The amp's Class D NexD™ ultra-high-speed switching design eliminates the traditional drawbacks of a Class-D design to deliver full-bandwidth performance, excellent efficiency, and very low distortion levels. And, unlike many compact amps, the MHX300/1 offers a full set of audio controls to adjust your bass, including a low-pass filter, bass boost, and subsonic filter. You'll get remarkable sound quality from an amp that fits into tight spots.
Tough and versatile
JL Audio designed the MHX300/1 with marine use in mind, so it's not just powerful; it's also tough enough for life on the water. Powder-coat finishes, a gasketed control cover, and rugged stainless-steel hardware combine to protect this amp against the moisture, extreme temperatures, and corrosive salt.
The compact design gives you plenty of configuration options when you're building your system. You can use one MHX300/1 to drive a sub, or get a pair for full-range satellite speakers or a larger sub system. With dual-range inputs, this amp can accept a wide range of input voltage levels, from line-level all the way to higher-power speaker-level signals. And the optional wired remote lets you adjust the amp's level from the helm.
- full-range mono marine amplifier
- 160 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- Class-D design
- white and gray powder-coat finishes, gasketed control cover, and stainless steel hardware
- variable low-pass filter (40-400 Hz, 24 dB per octave)
- variable subsonic filter (20-40 Hz)
- bass boost (0 to +12 db at 43 Hz)
- frequency response: 20-12,000 Hz
- dual-range inputs
- optional remote level control
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- fuse: 30A
- 9-1/4"D x 1-13/16"H x 3-1/8"W
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98402
What's in the box:
- Mono marine amplifier with attached 12" multi-wire pigtail
- Two 35A ATO fuses (1 installed in-line on power wire and 1 spare)
- Four 1" self-tapping screws
- Owner's Manual
JL Audio MHX300/1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio MHX300/1
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||160 x 1|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-12k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||---|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||64 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||300 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-400 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||43 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Monoblock Marine Amplifier: The JL Audio MHX300/1 compact full-range, monoblock Class D marine amplifier is designed for the harsh marine environment. Its IPX6 water-resistance rating also makes it ideal for motorcycles, ATVs, or other utility vehicles. It can be used to drive a subwoofer, or you can use two to power full-range satellite speakers.
NexD Switching Technology: The MHX300/1 employs an advanced, high-speed Class D switching design called NexD that allows the amp to produce serious power without overtaxing the battery and charging system.
- Rated Continuous (RMS) Power @ 14.4 V:
- 160 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 Ω
- 220 watts RMS x 1 @ 3 Ω
- 300 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 Ω
- Rated Continuous
(RMS) Power @ 12.5V:
- 160 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 Ω
- 200 watts RMS x 1 @ 3 Ω
- 250 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 Ω
Input Section: The MHX300/1's input section accepts a wide range of input voltage levels. It can accept a line-level signal from 250 mV to 4 Volts, or speaker-level signals from 750 mV to 15 Volts. The amp is equipped with an Input Voltage switch that allows you to choose Low or High level input signals.
Protection Circuitry: The MHX300/1's protection circuitry automatically shuts the amplifier down if thermal limits are exceeded, a short-circuit is detected in the speaker wiring, or if current levels are too high. The green Power LED and red Protect LED will indicate by its on/off or flashing status.
Control Panel: The amplifier's control panel is located on the bottom of the amplifier. The removable cover features a rubber gasket that seals out moisture and dust. The cover is held in place by 4 Phillips-head screws. You will need a small flat screwdriver to set the three switches and four rotary dials. The following controls are located in the Control Panel:
- Output Polarity: This switch lets you reverse the polarity of the amp's output. If the amp's output sounds "muddy", it may improve by switching the polarity from 0° to 180°.
- LP Filter Switch: The amp is equipped with a switchable low-pass filter. The LP Filter switch turns the crossover on or off.
- Input Voltage: You can select the type of input signal being used: High Level (speaker) or Low Level (line).
- Bass Boost: The amplifier is equipped with a variable 0 to +12dB bass boost, centered at 43 Hz. The rotary dial lets you adjust the amount of boost you desire.
- Input Sensitivity: The Input Sensitivity Control is a rotary dial that lets you match your source unit's output voltage to the input stage of the amplifier for maximum clean output.
- LP Filter Frequency: When the LP Filter Switch is turned on, you can set the cutoff frequency on the rotary dial. The low-pass filter is continuously variable from 40Hz to 400Hz, with detents at 80Hz and 130 Hz. The LP filter has a slope of 24dB/Octave.
- Infrasonic Filter: An infrasonic filter is a high-pass filter that cuts out super-low frequencies before they reach the speakers. Many speakers cannot physically reproduce these low frequencies, and, by filtering out these frequencies, reducing distortion and making the amplifier more efficient. The infrasonic filter is continuously variable from 20Hz to 40Hz, and detents at 30Hz and 35Hz. The infrasonic filter has a slope of 12dB/Octave.
Remote Level Control: The MHX300/1 is equipped with a female RJ-25 connection for an optional wired Remote Level Control. The M-RBC-1 will let you control the bass level of the amplifier remotely. It has a IPX-6 water-resistant connection cover, and is recommended for damp locations. If the amplifier is being installed in a dry location, the optional RBC-1 can be used.
Wiring: The MHX300/1's wiring is internally connected and exits the amp through a waterproof opening. The following connections can be found, each with 12" pigtails:
- Power: Three 16-gauge wires twisted together exit the amp entering a waterproof fuse holder (a 35A ATO fuse is inserted). A 10-gauge wire exits the fuse holder. JL Audio recommends a minimum of 8-gauge wiring for the power wiring.
- Ground: A 10-gauge ground wire is connected to the amplifier. A minimum of 8-gauge wiring is recommended for the ground wire.
- Remote Turn-On: A 16-gauge remote turn-on wire is connected to the amp. You should connect the turn-on lead to the remote turn-on output of your source unit. If the source unit does not have a dedicated remote turn-on output, the amp's turn-on lead can be connected to +12V via a switch that derives power from an ignition-switched circuit. Note: The amp does not have an audio signal-sensing turn-on, so the remote turn-on lead must be connected.
- Signal Inputs (Low-Level): Two female RCA jacks are provided for the input signal. You can run a stereo or mono signal into the inputs--the input section automatically sums a stereo signal to mono. If you only have a single input connection, you should use a Y-adapter to split the mono signal and connect it to both the Left and Right RCAs. The RCA connectors have waterproof caps.
- Signal Inputs (High-Level): If the source unit does not offer preamp level outputs, you can splice the speaker output wires to a pair of RCA plugs, or use the JL Audio XD-CLRAIC2-SW RCA-to-Speaker Wire Adapter.
- Speaker Outputs: Two 16-gauge speaker wires are provided on the amplifier for connecting to the wiring to your speaker.
- Optional Remote Level Control: The attached RJ-25 jack with a waterproof cover lets you connect an optional M-RBC-1 or RBC-1 Remote Level Control. Use the M-RBC-1 if a waterproof connection is needed.
3 questions already asked