About the JL Audio MV800/8i
Amplifier plus DSP
Amplifier plus DSP
The MVi Series marine amplifiers combine JL Audio's latest amplifier technology with powerful digital signal processing, providing unprecedented sound quality for your music. JL Audio teamed up with micro-device maker AKM™ to create this customized processor-amp hybrid. They also improved the amp's Class D performance by making the signal path through the amp shorter, placing the output capacitor banks nearer the outputs, and using up-to-date DirectFET® MOSFET output devices, resulting in higher efficiency, reliability, and audio quality.
75 watts RMS by eight channels and more
The MV800/8i eight-channel amplifier puts out 75 watts RMS per channel and features four additional channels of digital signal processing. You can bridge this amplifier into 6-channel mode to power a pair of subwoofers with up to 200 watts RMS each and four speakers with 75 watts each, plus send four processed signals on to a separate amp to power even more speakers. You can sum and re-route up to eight input channels, the signals for multiple factory tweeters and woofers in multiple locations for example, using the TüN™ software to produce eight channels of powered output, plus four processed preamp signals for another amp to handle.
The 24-bit 96 kHz processing for each channel includes signal routing and mixing, 10-band parametric EQ, time alignment, high- and low-pass filters, and output level control with 0.1 dB precision. In addition to tuning the audio signal, the processor provides a master clock signal for the Class D amplification, increasing audio accuracy.
Remote control only
You make all your settings and adjustments from your compatible device running JL Audio's TüN™ software.
- PC and Mac OS: TüN 3.0 — requires a USB connection (6' cable included with amp)
- Android and iOS tablets: TüN Mobile — requires Bluetooth connection and the VXi-BTC Bluetooth communicator (sold separately)
- Android phones and Apple iPhones: TüN Express (for Basic setups only) — requires Bluetooth connection and the VXi-BTC Bluetooth communicator (sold separately)
Other accessories you may want with this amp
This MVi amplifier features JLid™ inter-device connection ports for JL Audio's proprietary network system for controlling data. The DRC-205 digital remote control lets you adjust the master volume, switch between up to six preset tunings, and indicates the amp's status via LED. An optional MVi-HUB marine network hub comes in handy when you have three or more MVi amps in your system, coordinating all the adjustments and controls.
MV800/8i connection panel
- 8-channel marine amplifier
- 75 watts RMS x 8 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 8 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 4 bridged at 4 ohms
- Class D amplifier design with NexD2™ switching amp technology
- cast-alloy chassis with marine-grade powder coat finish and corrosion-resistant hardware and connectors
- water-resistance rating IPX2 (can take an indirect splash) when mounted vertically with connections pointed downward
Digital Signal Processing:
- 24-bit 96 kHz digital processing
- DSP adjustments and settings made with JL Audio's TüN app (PC and Mac) via USB, via Bluetooth (tablets and phones) with BTC Bluetooth option
- 3 Project Levels of tuning: Basic, Advanced, Expert
- input routing and mixing
- adjustable gain controls with clip indication
- fully adjustable high-pass, low-pass, and bandpass filters
- selectable filter slopes (6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/octave)
- 10-band EQ (graphic in Basic, parametric in Advanced and Expert modes)
- phase and polarity control
- time alignment in 0.02 ms (1/4") increments
- 8 preamp/speaker-level inputs (configurable)
- speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input
- high-level inputs — up to 16 volts RMS (about 60 watts)
- DC offset or signal sensing auto turn-on eliminates need for remote lead
- differential-balanced inputs eliminate noise coming from your vehicle's electrical system
- 4 processed analog preamp outputs (4V RMS)
- JLid™ connections for optional Network Hub, Bluetooth Communicator, and Digital Remote Control
- USB connection for device running TüN app (6-foot cable included)
- wiring, fuse, and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and an 80-amp fuse recommended
- dimensions: 14"W x 2-1/8"H x 8-3/8"D
- weight: 5.6 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98649
What's in the box:
- 8-Channel amplifier
- Power connector
- Four 10" Speaker output harnesses (two speakers each)
- 6' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Type B USB on other)
- 6 RCA Terminal covers (installed)
- Four 1" Stainless steel screws
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 3mm Allen wrench
- Connection guide
- On-line registration card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio MV800/8i
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||75 x 8|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||99 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 8|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 4|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||Via TüN Software|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||Via TüN Software|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||Via TüN Software|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||Via TüN Software|
|Bass Boost||Via TüN Software|
|Bass Boost Frequency||Via TüN Software|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Preamp Outputs||2 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
MVi Amplifiers: This JL Audio MVi-series amplifier is equipped with a 24 bit/48 kHz, triple-core AKM AK7738 digital signal processor (DSP) that allows you to configure and tune the amplifier inputs and outputs as needed. Using JL Audio's free TüN software on your computer, tablet, or smartphone, you can configure the amplifier from the driver's seat. (Using TüN software with your tablet or smartphone requires downloading the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play and adding the optional VXi-BTC Bluetooth Communicator.)
Controls: The MV800/8i 8-channel full-range Class D amplifier does not have traditional control knobs and switches for setup. Instead, the input sensitivity, crossover, equalization, polarity, etc. settings are configured using the TüN software.
Mounting: The keyhole slots on the flanges make vertical mounting easier (with the connections pointed downward), maintaining the amp's IPX2 rating.
AKM DSP: The AKM AK7738 Digital Signal Processing engine, when partnered with JL Audio's TüN software, gives you control over the configuration and settings of the amplifier. It is equipped with high-performance AKM A/D and D/A converters and offers independent tuning for each of the twelve output channels (eight amplified and four line out).
TüN Software: The free TüN software lets you configure, tune, and control your MVi amplifier from your laptop computer, tablet, or smartphone. The TüN software is available for Windows PC and Apple computers. TüN Mobile is available for iPad and Android tablets, while TüN Express works with iPhone and Android smartphones. Using TüN software with your tablet or smartphone requires downloading the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play and adding the optional VXi-BTC Bluetooth Communicator. The software allows saving up to ten tuning profiles for the amplifier.
Note: We strongly suggest you plan to use the full TüN program on your laptop or tablet. TüN Express on your smartphone offers a much more basic set of controls for the amp, detailed below.
TüN Input/Output Configuration: The audio signal for each of the twelve outputs (eight amplified channels and four line outputs) is independently set. Any of the eight RCA inputs, or a combination (sum) of inputs, can be routed to a given output. The input level (gain) is also set in the TüN software.
TüN Tuning: Each output channel is independently tuned using TüN's equalizer, crossover, time alignment, polarity, and output level settings. The left and right channels can be linked together (default) or tuned separately.
- Equalizer: The 10-band EQ can be graphic or parametric. Each band is adjustable from -12 dB to +6 dB in 0.1 dB increments. The graphic EQ bands are fixed at 31 Hz, 62 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz. The Q (width) is also adjustable in the parametric EQ (0.25 to 10.0).
- Crossover: Each channel has both high-pass and low-pass crossovers. When using the low-pass with a subwoofer, the high-pass can provide a subsonic filter. The crossover points can be set to any frequency, and the slope options range from 6 dB/octave to 48 dB/octave (12, 24, and 48 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley and 12, 18, 24, 36, and 48 dB/octave Butterworth).
- Time Alignment: The output delay of each channel is variable in 0.02 ms steps. (Equivalent to approximately ¼".)
- Polarity: The polarity of each channel can be reversed (0° or 180°).
- Output Level: The output level of each channel is adjustable relative to the other channels in 0.1 dB steps.
TüN Express: Using the TüN Express App on your smartphone offers much less detailed control:
- Input: The only input options are 2-channel, 4-channel, 6-channel, and 8-channel. The input channel assignments are fixed; you can't specify what input channel is routed to a given output channel. You also cannot combine two input channels for a single output channel. The input level (gain) is adjusted for each pair of inputs used.
- Equalizer: TüN Express offers no EQ function.
- Crossover: Each pair of output channels has both high-pass and low-pass crossovers. The slopes are independently adjustable (12 dB/octave or 24 dB/octave) and the crossover points can be set to any frequency.
- Time Alignment: TüN Express offers no time alignment function.
- Polarity: TüN Express doesn't offer the option of reversing polarity.
- Output Level: The output level of each pair of channels is adjustable relative to the other channels in 0.5 dB steps.
Power Output: The MV800/8i power specifications are as follows:
| Rated RMS
Power @ 14.4V |
|75 watts x 8||4Ω|
|100 watts x 8||2Ω|
|200 watts x 4 (bridged)||4Ω|
| Rated RMS
Power @ 12.5V |
|60 watts x 8||4Ω|
|90 watts x 8||2Ω|
|180 watts x 4 (bridged)||4Ω|
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: The MV800/8i features a removable plug with screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on cables. This allows you to pre-connect the wires to the connector, then plug it into the amplifier. The +12 volt and ground terminals will accept up to 2-gauge wire. (JL Audio recommends 4-gauge minimum.) The remote turn-on terminal will accept up to 10-gauge wire. (JL Audio recommends 18-gauge minimum.) The included 3mm and 2.5mm Allen wrenches are used to tighten/loosen the clamps.
Note: The amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 80-amp fuse or circuit breaker (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If this is the only amplifier connected and a wiring kit is used with a fuse other than 80-amps, the original should be replaced with a 80-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Harnesses: Four pair of speaker outputs are connected to the amplifier, channels A/B, C/D, E/F, and G/H. The plug on each set of wires mates to an included 10" speaker harness. The other ends of the harnesses have no terminal, just bare wire.
Signal Input: The amplifier has four pair of stereo RCA inputs that accept either pre-amp or speaker-level signals. When using a speaker-level input signal, use a speaker wire to RCA adaptor (sold separately) to connect the amplifier to the source unit via speaker wires. The signal inputs are configured using the TüN software. If any of the inputs are not used, leave their factory covers installed.
Line Output: There are two pair of preamp level RCA output jacks, also configured using the TüN software. Leave the factory covers installed on any unused outputs.
USB: A Type B USB port is provided for connecting the amp to your computer and interfacing with the TüN software. A 6' Type A to USB-B cable is included.
JLid-COMM: This RJ-45 port is used to connect optional accessories:
- Bluetooth: VXi-BTC Bluetooth Communicator for wireless communication with Apple or Android smartphones and tablets
- Hub: MVi-HUB network Hub for connecting up to six MVi series amplifiers (ten with two MVi-HUBs); allows synchronizing DSP controls
- Remote: DRC-205 digital wired remote control; adjust output levels and DSP presets
- Frequency Response: 12 Hz - 21 kHz (+0, -1 dB)
- Input Voltage Range (RCA inputs): 250mV - 16V RMS
- RCA Output Voltage: 4 volts RMS (maximum)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (20Hz - 20kHz):
- At 1 watt: 80 dB
- At rated output: 99 dB
- Damping Factor:
- 50 Hz @ 4Ω: >100 dB
- 50 Hz @ 2Ω: >50 dB
- Standby Current Draw: 2.4 mA