About the JL Audio MediaMaster 50
A rugged receiver for outdoor fun
A rugged receiver for outdoor fun
High-performance componentry, marine-rated construction, and smart design make JL Audio's MediaMaster 50 digital media receiver the ideal centerpiece of your powersports audio system. With a digital AM/FM tuner, built-in Bluetooth® connectivity, USB and AUX inputs, and an easy-to-use interface, it's ready for the water or the trail.
Designed for great sound
The first thing that comes to mind when you think about JL Audio is sound. That's also the first thing JL Audio engineers think about, which is why the MM50 features a 100-watt amp, a 3-band EQ, and built-in high- and low-pass crossovers. The result is superb sound for boats, ATVs, UTVs, or other weekend fun machines.
Three zones for more control
With separate audio zones, the MM50 gives you great sound and the flexibility you want when you're crafting the sound on a boat. You can control the zones together or individually using JL Audio's Level Control Mode. Use two of the zones for your speakers and another for a subwoofer, or just build your system in steps. You can rename each zone and even name the MM50 itself, so you'll recognize it easily on your connected devices.
All the modern media
You won't find a CD player in the MediaMaster MM50, just lots of ways to get the most out of your digital music collection. In addition to an AM/FM tuner, the MM50 offers a wide range of ways to connect external devices. Here are all the ways you can crank your tunes:
• Bluetooth® v2.1 audio streaming;
• USB 2.0 direct-digital connection for your iPhone® or USB storage device;
• AUX input for connection to a wide range of audio sources
• A NMEA 2000 direct connector makes it easy to integrate the MM50 with the rest of your NMEA 2000-compatible marine electronics (sold separately), making your receiver the hub of your system.
JL Audio designed the MM50 to excel in the outdoors. Marine-grade components and IPX66-rated weatherproofing ensure long life, but when you look at this receiver, you can tell it was designed by people who know what it's like to change music sources in choppy water or on a rough piece of road.
A keen understanding of real-world ergonomics went into the display, which features an intuitive interface with large text that's easy to read while you're in motion. The big, bright, full-color 2.8" display offers adjustable day/night lighting modes that will give you the level of brightness that works best for you. And, of course, the sleek black exterior looks really cool.
If you need more ways to control the sound around your boat, you can add optional JL Audio MediaMaster remotes.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine/powersports digital media receiver (does not play CDs)
- 2.8" color LCD display with day/night modes
- AM/FM tuner with RDS and 18 presets
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- control two separate audio zones, plus a sub zone
- built-in Bluetooth® connectivity for music streaming
- rear USB input — 2.1 amp output also charges your device while it's in use
- rear aux RCA stereo input works with a variety of digital devices
- 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- NMEA 2000® Certified
- works with JL Audio MediaMaster remotes (sold separately)
- weatherproof (IP66-rated) design and construction
- large controls are ideal for marine/powersports applications
- intuitive interface with large text for easy legibility while in motion
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 99911
What's in the box:
- Marine source unit (15A fuse)
- Trim-ring (installed)
- Power harness
- Speaker harness
- Self-adhesive gasket
- 4 Screws
- Rubber face cover
- Cardboard template
- Owner's Manual
JL Audio MediaMaster 50 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio MediaMaster 50
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|Touch||5Gen and newer|
|iPhone||5 and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||25 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, WAV|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Weatherproof Design: JL Audio's MediaMaster MM50 is designed and engineered for the for the marine environment, with marine-grade, weatherproof construction (IPX66 rated) to withstand the elements. This source unit offers advanced audio features, specifically tailored to marine applications. A rubber face cover is included to put over the front-panel when its not in use for greater protection.
Note: While the MM50 is designed to be water-resistant, it should never be submerged under water or subjected to high-pressure water spray. Do not install the remote in areas of extreme heat.
2.8" LCD & Backlit Controls: The JL Audio MediaMaster MM50 features a high-brightness, full-color 2.8" LCD screen (320x240), a rotary control knob, and large push-buttons for ease of use in marine applications. The LCD offers Day/Night lighting modes with user-defined display brightness & themes. You can also adjust the brightness of the backlit rotary knob and push-buttons. The marine source unit's intuitive interface is easy to see and use while in motion on the water.
NMEA 2000 Compliant: The MediaMaster MM50 is NMEA 2000 compliant and is compatible with a range of the world's leading Multi-Function Displays (MFD) for on-screen audio control; creating a centralized control station for your boat and a more user-friendly experience. NMEA 2000 is the most popular marine standard for data communication within boats, watercrafts, and vessels. When connecting the MM50 with a NMEA 2000 supported Chartplotter or Fish finder, you bring your music to the big screen, allowing you to keep an eye on the charts or the fish while skipping tracks or adjusting the volume at the same time. Connection to a NMEA network requires NMEA 2000 cables & connectors (sold separately).
Mounting Options: The MediaMaster MM50 marine source unit requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Four screws (supplied) fasten the unit against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A cardboard template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes.
- Chassis Size (Cutout): 3.665" (w) x 3.045" (h) x 4.0" (d)
- Front-Panel Dimensions: 4.665" (w) x 3.765" (h) x 1.25" (d)
- Screw Hole Spacing: 4.195" (w) x 1.945" (h)
Note: The receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard I-, J-, or E-sized automotive installation.
Low Voltage Alert: A built-in alert notifies you when the +12VDC supply voltage drops below 10 volts. If triggered, the unit will enter "Safe Mode" and mute audio output. A warning will also display on-screen with instructions to turn the unit off until normal operating voltage is restored.
Optional Remote Control: Wired and NMEA 2000 remote control options are available for the MM50 marine source unit.
- Wired Remote: Connect an optional MMR-20-BE Wired Remote (13699921, sold separately) to add remote control functionality from extended locations (up to 3). You will also need a remote control extension cable (13699905, sold separately). If you are connecting more than one wired remote, you will need a 2-way splitter (13699908, sold separately).
- NMEA2000 Remote: The MMR-40 (13699910, sold separately) is a NMEA 2000 network remote controller designed to add full-function, auxiliary control to the MediaMaster MM50 source unit. The MMR-40 can be connected to a MediaMaster source unit through an established NMEA 2000 network (NMEA 200 cables and connectors sold separately), or a "closed" network using JL Audio's Powered Network Cable (13699928, sold separately). It will automatically recognize the connected host MM50 source unit. All host source unit controls and screen info are then mirrored onto the MMR-40's full-color, 2.8" LCD screen.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The JL Audio MM50 marine source unit offers built-in Bluetooth 2.1+EDR with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.4). You are able to stream stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled device to the JL Audio MM50, and control basic playback functions like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the unit's front-panel. The marine source unit will also display song/artist information (no album art). You can pair up to 8 Bluetooth devices with the MM50, but only one streaming device can be connected at a time.
Note: The MM50 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
USB 2.0 Input: The JL Audio MediaMaster MM50 marine source unit is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for connection of a USB mass storage class (MSC) device, like a USB thumbdrive or digital audio player. The marine source unit will support playback of MP3, WMA, and WAV music files stored on a USB MSC device.?From the unit's front-panel, you can control Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Fast Forward/Rewind. The MM50 will also display song/artist information with album art. In addition, this USB connection provides 2.1A output for charging.
Note: USB connection to Android devices, computer, portable hard-drives, and USB hubs is not supported.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The unit's rear-panel USB port can be also be used to connect your Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone with the cable that came with your Apple device. The MM50 supports audio playback, category browsing (Playlist/Artist/Song/Album/Genre), song/artist information with album art, and charging of your compatible Apple device. An iPhone or iPod touch allows you to continue to use your Apple device's touchscreen while connected in order to access other applications. The MM50 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone Lightning model features (as of 5/1/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
- Not compatible with older iPod/iPhone devices which feature a 30-pin connector.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AM/FM Tuner with RDS: The MediaMaster MM50 is equipped with a digital AM/FM tuner with RDS (Radio Data System). RDS displays channel, category, and program information for select FM broadcasts (where available). You can store up to 18 AM/FM presets in any combination. A marine radio antenna is required (sold separately).
- AM: 530 kHz to 1710 kHz (10 kHz steps)
- FM: 87.5 MHz to 107.9 MHz (0.2 MHz steps)
Aux Input: The JL Audio MM50 is fitted with a stereo analog RCA input for connection of an external analog audio source. The unit's Auxiliary Input sensitivity can be set to 2Vrms or 1Vrms.
Dual Zone: The JL Audio MM50 provides Dual Zone operation (the same source is played back in each zone). Audio output options for each zone include an onboard amplifier for powering up to four speakers, as well as six channels of 4V preamp outputs for the two main zones and a dedicated subwoofer zone. Each zone has its own flexible audio options and is controlled by a configurable master volume knob for quick, on-the-fly level adjustments, giving you complete command of volume levels in different areas of your boat. All zones also utilize a zero-clipping audio circuit, with self-limiting tone controls to prevent speaker system damage.
Built-In 25W x 4Ch Amplifier: A built-in amplifier generates 100 watts of high-fidelity output (rated at 25 watts RMS x 4 channel) to power two main zones.
6Ch/4V Pre-Outs: The JL Audio MM50 is also equipped with two sets of line-level 4V RCA outputs for its two main audio zones, plus a dedicated set of 4V subwoofer zone outputs, to send audio signals to aftermarket amplifiers and powered subs.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The Zone 1 and 2 audio output types (speaker and line-level) provide a high-pass crossover which can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 150Hz, or Off (full-range). The subwoofer zone outputs feature a fixed 500Hz low-pass crossover.
Tone Controls: You can set independent Bass, Midrange, Treble, and Balance controls for each zone. Or, you can link the same tone controls to both zones.
Level Control Modes: Level Control Mode delivers on-the-fly volume adjustments of all zones, together or individually.
- Variable: The volume knob adjusts all zones simultaneously, with independent control of each zone's relative offset level
- Fixed: Sets the output level of selected zones at a specific output voltage (4V, 2V or 1V RMS) that is not affected by the volume control
- Off: Disables the output level of selected zones.
Note: The head unit's volume range is -62 to 0.
Volume Limit: Volume Limit allows you to set a custom, maximum allowable volume level for each zone. The head unit's volume range is -62 to 0.
Rename Zone: You can create your own names for each zone or choose from preset names (Bow, Bridge, Cabin, Cockpit, Galley, Helm, Stateroom 1, Stateroom 2, Tower, Transom).
11 questions already asked