About the JL Audio HX300/1
Your go-to solution for powersports applications
Bass boost and other controls let you optimize the output to your sub.
JL Audio designed their HX300/1 amp specifically for applications like motorcycles and ATVs. Thanks to JL Audio's proprietary NexD™ amplifier technology, this compact amp plays your music with true fidelity and it fits into some tight spots, too. The amp's cast-aluminum chassis and its IPX6 water resistance rating ensure that it'll keep cranking out the power even when it takes some knocks or encounters some wet going.
The HX300/1 delivers 160 watts RMS to a 4-ohm sub, or a punchy 300 watts to a 2-ohm load. And you can use a pair of these compact amps to power a set of full-range speakers too. You can adjust the bass boost to dial in a little extra thump, while the subsonic filter eliminates ultra-low frequencies that muddy the output
Works with almost any radio
Thanks to selectable high- and low-level inputs, you can connect this amp to just about any factory or aftermarket stereo. So whether it's a motorcycle, an ATV, or a car application where space is tight, you can count on the HX300/1 to provide you with plenty of power while keeping a small footprint
- full-range mono amplifier
- 160 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- variable low-pass filter (35-300 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable subsonic filter (20-40 Hz)
- bass boost (0 to +12 db at 43 Hz)
- Class D amplifier design with NextD switching amp technology
- IPX6 water-resistance rating
- corrosion-resistant cast aluminum chassis
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input)
- fuse rating: 35A x 1
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- frequency response: 20-12,000 Hz
- 8-11/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 3-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98400
What's in the box:
- Monoblock amplifier with attached 12" wires
- 35A ATO fuse (installed in in-line fuse holder)
- Spare 35A ATO fuse
- 4 Self-tapping screws (1" length)
- Owner's Manual
JL Audio HX300/1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio HX300/1
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
160 x 1 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||300 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-12k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||---|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||64 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-400|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||43 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||---|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Monoblock Amplifier: The JL Audio HX300/1 compact full-range, monoblock Class D amplifier has an IPX6 water-resistance rating that makes it ideal for motorcycles, ATVs, or other utility vehicles. It can be used to drive a subwoofer, or you can use two to power full-range satellite speakers.
NexD Switching Technology: The HX300/1 employs an advanced, high-speed Class D switching design called NexD that allows the amp to produce serious power without overtaxing the battery and charging system.
- Rated Continuous (RMS) Power @ 14.4 V:
- 160 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 Ω
- 220 watts RMS x 1 @ 3 Ω
- 300 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 Ω
- Rated Continuous
(RMS) Power @ 12.5V:
- 160 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 Ω
- 200 watts RMS x 1 @ 3 Ω
- 250 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 Ω
Input Section: The HX300/1's input section accepts a wide range of input voltage levels. It can accept a line-level signal from 250 mV to 4 Volts, or speaker-level signals from 750 mV to 15 Volts. The amp is equipped with an Input Voltage switch that allows you to choose Low or High level input signals.
Protection Circuitry: The HX300/1's protection circuitry automatically shuts the amplifier down if thermal limits are exceeded, a short-circuit is detected in the speaker wiring, or if current levels are too high. The green Power LED and red Protect LED will indicate by its on/off or flashing status.
Control Panel: The amplifier's control panel is located on the bottom of the amplifier. The removable cover features a rubber gasket that seals out moisture and dust. The cover is held in place by 4 Phillips-head screws. You will need a small flat screwdriver to set the three switches and four rotary dials. The following controls are located in the Control Panel:
- Output Polarity: This switch lets you reverse the polarity of the amp's output. If the amp's output sounds "muddy", it may improve by switching the polarity from 0° to 180°.
- LP Filter Switch: The amp is equipped with a switchable low-pass filter. The LP Filter switch turns the crossover on or off.
- Input Voltage: You can select the type of input signal being used: High Level (speaker) or Low Level (line).
- Bass Boost: The amplifier is equipped with a variable 0 to +12dB bass boost, centered at 43 Hz. The rotary dial lets you adjust the amount of boost you desire.
- Input Sensitivity: The Input Sensitivity Control is a rotary dial that lets you match your source unit's output voltage to the input stage of the amplifier for maximum clean output.
- LP Filter Frequency: When the LP Filter Switch is turned on, you can set the cutoff frequency on the rotary dial. The low-pass filter is continuously variable from 40Hz to 400Hz, with detents at 80Hz and 130 Hz. The LP filter has a slope of 24dB/Octave.
- Infrasonic Filter: An infrasonic filter is a high-pass filter that cuts out super-low frequencies before they reach the speakers. Many speakers cannot physically reproduce these low frequencies, and, by filtering out these frequencies, you can reduce distortion and make the amplifier more efficient. The infrasonic filter is continuously variable from 20Hz to 40Hz, and detents at 30Hz and 35Hz. The infrasonic filter has a slope of 12dB/Octave.
Remote Level Control: The HX300/1 is equipped with an RJ-25 connection for an optional wired Remote Level Control. The optional RBC-1 or M-RBC-1 will let you control the bass level of the amplifier from the driver's seat. If the amplifier is being installed in a location that is subject to moisture, the M-RBC-1, with its water-resistant connection cover, if recommended.
Wiring: The HX300/1's wiring is internally connected and exits the amp through a waterproof opening. The following connections can be found, each with 12" pigtails:
- Power: Three 16-gauge wires braided together exit the amp entering a waterproof fuse holder (a 35A ATO fuse is inserted). A 10-gauge wire exits the fuse holder. JL Audio recommends a minimum of 8-gauge wiring for the power wiring.
- Ground: A 10-gauge ground wire is connected to the amplifier. A minimum of 8-gauge wiring is recommended for the ground wire.
- Remote Turn-On: A 16-gauge remote turn-on wire is connected to the amp. You should connect the turn-on lead to the remote turn-on output of your source unit. If the source unit does not have a dedicated remote turn-on output, the amp's turn-on lead can be connected to +12V via a switch that derives power from an ignition-switched circuit. Note: The amp does not have an audio signal-sensing turn-on, so the remote turn-on lead must be connected.
- Signal Inputs (Low-Level): Two female RCA jacks are provided for the input signal. You can run a stereo or mono signal into the inputs--the input section automatically sums a stereo signal to mono. If you only have a single input connection, you should use a Y-adapter to split the mono signal and connect it to both the Left and Right RCAs. The RCA connectors have waterproof caps.
- Signal Inputs (High-Level): If the source unit does not offer preamp level outputs, you can splice the speaker output wires to a pair of RCA plugs, or use the JL Audio XD-CLRAIC2-SW RCA-to-Speaker Wire Adapter.
- Speaker Outputs: Two 16-gauge speaker wires are provided on the amplifier for connecting to the wiring to your speaker.
- Optional Remote Level Control: The attached RJ-25 jack with a waterproof cover lets you connect an optional M-RBC-1 or RBC-1 Remote Level Control. Use the M-RBC-1 if a waterproof connection is needed.