About the JL Audio XD500/3
Small size, big performance
Small size, big performance
Each JL Audio XD amp packs a wallop far beyond what you'd expect from something so small. These super-compact amps sport JLAudio's NexD™ state-of-the-art switching amplifier design, for music with true fidelity and impressive impact, all without straining your car's electrical system.
Sharp stereo imaging, powerful bass
The XD500/3 3-channel amp is ideal for powering a pair of high-quality component speakers and a subwoofer, delivering 75 watts RMS to your full-range speakers, while powering a sub with up to 300 watts. Take off the removable control cover and you'll find high- and low-pass filters that give you fine-tuned control over the character of your sound.
Noise rejection yields cleaner sound
"Differential-balanced" inputs keep the signals clear of outside noise, and allow you to connect this amp to just about any in-dash stereo, even a factory radio with no preamp outputs. Take control from your driver's seat with an optional wired remote control — you can use the remote to adjust the level of all three channels or just the sub channel alone.
- 3-channel car amplifer
- 75 watts RMS x 2 + 180 watts RMS x 1 (at 4 ohms)
- 100 watts RMS x 2 + 300 watts RMS x 1 (at 2 ohms)
- variable low- and high-pass filters (50-500 Hz high-pass, 12 dB/octave, front channels; 50-500 Hz low-pass, 12 or 24 dB/octave, sub channel)
- optional wired remote for level control (switchable for sub channel or all channels)
- Class D amplifier design with NextD switching amp technology
- differential-balanced inputs eliminate noise coming from your vehicle's electrical system
- Advanced Rollback Protection System prevents thermal shut-down
- speaker- and preamp-level inputs (speaker-level input requires an optional adapter)
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 50-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 50-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and the amplifier is recommended
- 8-9/16"W x 2"H x 7-1/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98267
What's in the box:
- 3-Channel amplifier
- Self-adhesive JL Audio badge
- 2.5mm Hex key
- Owner's Manual (English/German)
JL Audio XD500/3 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JL Audio XD500/3
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
75 x 2 |
180 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 2|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 1|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||12-22k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||104 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA (adapter req)|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Monoblock Class-D Subwoofer Amplifier: The JL Audio XD500/3 is a 3-channel amplifier utilizing JL Audio's NexD high-speed switching technology to deliver outstanding fidelity and efficiency. The XD500/3 can be operated with a wide variety of source units and system configurations. The amp has two main channels and a subwoofer channel.
Amplifier Rating: The JL Audio XD500/3 Class D amplifier's power output specifications (RMS) are as follows:
|14.4 V Input Power||12.5 V Input Power|
|Main Channels||75 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms||60 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms|
|100 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms||90 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms|
|150 watts x 1 @ 8 ohms bridged||120 watts x 1 @ 8 ohms bridged|
|200 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged||180 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged|
|Subwoofer Channel||180 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms||180 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms|
|300 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms||300 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms|
NexD Class D Technology: NexD is a state-of-the-art switching amplifier design that combines exceptional audio quality with excellent efficiency and less complexity. This results in affordable compact amplification with superb sound quality.
Advanced Rollback Protection: The XD-Series amplifiers employ advanced thermal and low-impedance protection to virtually eliminate annoying amplifier shut-down events. Should any XD-Series amplifier ever overheat, its intelligent, unregulated power supply reacts by limiting available peak voltage until the amplifier returns to a safe temperature range. Likewise, if an impedance lower than optimal for the amplifier is present at the outputs, the XD amplifier will roll back peak voltage to protect itself without shutting down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The JL Audio amplifier features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the JL Audio amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical car audio installation.
Note: You will need a speaker wire to RCA adaptor (136XDCLR2S, sold separately) to connect this amplifier to your headunit via speaker-level.
Protection Circuitry With Status Indicator Lights: There is a single multi-color LED on the top panel of the amplifier to indicate the amplifier's operating status.
- Flashing Green: When the LED is flashing green, the amplifier is powering up and audio output is muted.
- Constant Green: This LED lights green to indicate that the amplifier is turned on and operating normally.
- Constant Red: This Red LED lights to indicate that the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the amplifier into a self-protection mode, which reduces the power output of the amplifier. The red light will shut off and the amplifier will return to normal, full-power operating mode if the heat sink temperature drops back to a safe level.
- Constant Amber (Yellow): The Amber (Yellow) LED light indicates that an over-current condition has occurred and is accompanied by a muting of the amplifier's output. Over-current condition can be caused by a speaker impedance lower than the optimum load impedance range for the amplifier or a short-circuit in the speaker wiring.
- LED Off: The only condition that will shut down an undamaged XD500/3 completely is if battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage drops below 10-volts. The amplifier will turn back on when voltage climbs back above 11-volts.
Cooling System: The outer shell of the JL Audio amplifier is designed to remove heat from the amplifier circuitry. For optimum cooling performance, this outer shell should be exposed to as large a volume of air as possible. Enclosing the amplifier in a small, poorly ventilated chamber can lead to excessive heat build-up and degraded performance.
Control Panel Cover: The XD500/3 features a Control Panel Security Cover which protects and hides the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover ensures that the amplifier's settings are not accidentally changed while creating a clean aesthetic look for the amplifier and your installation. The control panel security cover is pre-installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed to access the amplifier's controls. The security cover is secured by two 2.5mm Allen-head screws.
Simplified Gain Setting: The XD Series amplifier makes setting the gain level of the amp via the input sensitivity control very simple. All you need is Digital AC Voltmeter (142TK12V, sold separately) and a Test CD Disc (503CD104, sold separately) with a sine-wave test-tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified for that set of channels (50 Hz for subwoofer channels, 1 kHz for a midrange application).
Flexible Input Section And Active Crossover Network: The JL Audio XD amplifier provides a flexible input section and a comprehensive crossover network to fine tune your system effectively and accurately. The variable filter design employed in the JL Audio XD amplifier crossover sections allow you to seamlessly switch slopes, easily change filter frequencies and address what frequencies the preamp inputs will pass. For a more precise frequency selection, the manual includes a chart which provides the actual frequency for each of the 39 detents of the rotary dial. The XD500/3 offers the following independent crossover adjustments behind the removal cover plate:
- Channels 1 & 2: High Pass Filter
- HP Filter Mode:
- Off: defeats the filter for full range output, or for use with outboard active crossovers
- HP: for filtered output at a rate of 12 dB per octave for connecting component speakers or coaxials
- Frequency: 50-500 Hz
- HP Filter Mode:
- Subwoofer Channel: Low Pass Filter
- Switchable Slope: Off (filter defeated), 12dB/octave, or 24dB/octave
- Variable Frequency: 50-500 Hz
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: This JL Audio XD amplifier features screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections. A 2.5mm hex-wrench is supplied for tightening or loosening the set screws.
- Power and Ground: The amplifier's screw clamp Power and Ground connections are designed to accept 8 to 4 AWG power wire.
- Remote Turn-On: The amplifier's screw clamp turn-on lead will accept 18 to 8 AWG wire.
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 50-amp AGU or MAXI fuse must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 50-amps, the original should be replaced with a 50-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The JL Audio XD500/3 features four screw clamp speaker terminals for an easy speaker connection for the main channels. The subwoofer channel has four screw clamp speaker terminals which allowing you to connect two subwoofers (minimum impedance 4 ohms). The subwoofer channel terminals are internally wired in parallel.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features two sets of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs. The amplifier features a dedicated Input Sensitivity gain control for each input. These controls are designed to match the input sensitivity of the XD500/3 to the specific signal source that is feeding it. The amplifier's input level can be set between 100mV-4V RMS.
Preamp Outputs: The XD500/3 incorporates a pass-through preamp output section, so that additional amplifiers can easily be connected to the same signal feeding the XD500/3. These preamp output signals are buffered to prevent noise and are always preamp level, regardless of the level of signals feeding the XD500/3's inputs. You can configure the preamp output using the three-way switch: 1&2, Sub, or Sum.
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features a standard RJ-11 telephone connector for adding an optional wired remote level control, such as the HD-RLC Remote Level Control (136HDRLC, sold separately), you can control the volume of the XD500/3 from the driver's seat. If desired, multiple XD (and HD) amplifiers can be controlled from a single HD-RLC controller using a simple phone line splitter and multiple phone cables.
Note: All inputs and outputs are located on the front side of the amplifier to make installation of the amplifier simple and neat.