About the Sennheiser ClipMic Digital
Quality recording with your iPhone® or iPad®
Record sound directly to your iPhone just about anywhere.
Quality recording with your iPhone® or iPad®
The Sennheiser ClipMic digital makes it easy to get clear, accurate voice recordings with just your iPhone or iPad. Whether you want to record a presentation you're giving, an interview subject, or just want a superior audio track for video you're shooting with your iPhone or iPad, the ClipMic delivers.
More than just a lapel mic
The system features a Sennheiser ME 2 lapel mic that effectively rejects ambient noise. It comes with a windscreen, so you can use it indoors or out and still get clean voice recordings. The mic feeds its signal to an in-line digital encoder developed by Apogee, a leading manufacturer of digital pro audio gear. This top-quality analog-to-digital converter lets you capture high-res audio up to 24-bit/96kHz. And by plugging into your iOS device's Lightning® port, it ensures much better sound quality compared to microphones that connect through your phone's headset jack.
Edit on the go
The ClipMic digital works with Apogee's free MetaRecorder app, which makes it easy to organize, tag, and edit your recordings. You can even record simultaneously to your main phone and up to three satellite phones. (The free version of the app limits this function to 60-second recordings, but you can purchase the full version to enable unlimited recording to all linked phones.)
- designed for presentations, podcasting, and spoken-word recording
- clip-on condenser microphone
- Apple Lightning connector for iPhones and iPads
- powered by your connected Apple device
- compatible with free Apogee MetaRecorder app (available at Apple iTunes App store)
- omnidirectional pickup pattern
- frequency response: 30-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: -46 dBFS
- sampling rates: 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz
- bit depth: 16-bit/24-bit
- cable length: 5-1/2 feet
- mic dimensions: 5/8" length x 1/4" diameter
- weight: 0.8 oz.
- mic clip
- washable metal windscreen
- carrying pouch
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 506791
What's in the box:
- Clip-on microphone with attached 70" cable and Apple Lightning connector
- Metal wind screen
- Clothing clip
- Carrying pouch
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- "Made for iPod" statement
More details on the Sennheiser ClipMic Digital
Overview: The Sennheiser ClipMic digital is a direct plug-in solution for making high-quality recording directly to your Apple mobile device. It has a 70" cable with an in-line signal converter, and terminates into an Apple Lightning connector. The microphone includes a clip for attaching the mic to your clothing, a metal windscreen, and a cloth carrying pouch. The downloadable Apogee MetaRecorder and Apogee Maestro applications let you control the levels and recordings on your Apple device.
Microphone Capsule: The ClipMic digital features the ME2 condenser mic capsule with an omnidirectional pickup pattern. The mic is powered by the iPhone, iPad, or iPod to which it is connected. Its small form factor (1/4" diameter, 5/8" length) allows it to be discreetly placed on your clothing. The microphone plugs directly into the device's Lightning port, allowing you to monitor the recording through the headphone output. For best results, you should place the microphone within 10" of the subject's mouth. When the included metal windscreen is attached, wind-generated noise is reduced by up to 20dB.
Audio Converter: Located within 4" of the Lightning connector, the in-line Apogee PureDigital audio converter digitizes the analog audio signal into a high quality digital audio signal with up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution. The signal also includes the metadata that makes is easier to edit your recordings.
Compatibility: The ClipMic digital is compatible with Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod models equipped with the Lightning connector, and running iOS version 8.0 and later. You must also have Apogee MetaRecorder, Apogee Maestro, or any Core Audio-compatible app on your device. The following models are compatible with the ClipMic digital:
- iPhone: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
- iPad: iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad mini
- iPod: iPod touch (5th generation)
Applications: The following applications, available from the Apple App Store, can be used with the ClipMic digital:
- Apogee MetaRecorder: Apogee MetaRecorder is a 2-channel audio recording app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Audio is recorded at a resolution of up to 24-bit, 96kHz in WAV or CAF (Core Audio Format). You can link one Master iPhone to up to 3 satellite iPhones (or iPads or iPod touch) via Wi-Fi. When linked all actions performed on the master are duplicated on the satellites. The MetaRecorder app also includes control via Apple Watch.
- Apogee Maestro: Apogee Maestro allows you to control your ClipMic digital microphone with your Apple mobile device. You can adjust the input gain, EQ, compression, and other settings with the app. Maestro also improves latency problems (delays during recording) with a mixer. Apogee Maestro is not a recording application.
- Frequency Response: 30Hz - 20kHz
- Maximum Sound Pressure Level: 126 dB (min. gain); 91 dB (max gain)
- Pickup Pattern: Omnidirectional
- Gain: 0 - 35 dB
- Minimum Gain: -46 dBFS (80dB SPL, 1kHz)
- Maximum Gain: -11 dBFS (80dB SPL, 1kHz)
- Sampling Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
- Bit Rates: 16-bit, 24-bit
- Dimensions: 0.259" diameter, 0.629" length, 70" cable length
- Weight: 0.8 ounces