About the Sennheiser HD 800 S (factory-recertified)
Factory-recertified and packed with care
Factory-recertified and packed with care
For almost a decade, Sennheiser's flagship "HD 800" series headphones have been well-loved by Crutchfield customers and audiophiles everywhere. We're offering a factory-recertified version of their stellar HD 800 S headphones — the latest open-back model in the series — at a discount. Sennheiser is so confident in their performance, that they're including the full two-year warranty.
Updated drivers for optimal clarity
Rather than reinvent the wheel, these open-back 'phones use much of the shape and design of the original HD 800, including the unique positioning of the drivers. Sound waves are sent to your ears at a 45° angle, creating a spatial, three-dimensional effect. The 56mm sound transducers — the largest found in any dynamic driver headphones — are also a pretty good starting point. Air moves freely, and rather than "between the ears" sound, your music surrounds you like a set of speakers.
To further fine-tune the sound in HD 800 S, Sennheiser used an innovative driver absorber technology. An acoustical absorber reduces distortion for smoother highs and more nuanced bass. It prevents sharp treble peaks and loud bass from overtaking more subtle sounds, making your tunes sound crystal-clear and true to the recording.
Built with care, from the finest materials
Sennheiser assembles the HD 800 S headphones at their German headquarters with some of the same strong, lightweight materials used to make aircrafts. The drivers are protected by stainless steel, and the headband uses layers of metal and plastic to help dampen vibration. Earcups are oversized, but the weight is distributed so they feel light. And plush, microfiber earpads ensure the fit is first class.
Two high-quality cables included
Another new addition to the HD 800 S is a cable terminated by a balanced XLR connector, for optimum performance with a headphone amplifier like Sennheiser's HDV 820. You also get a cable terminated by a standard full-size 1/4" plug like the one included in the original HD 800. Both have oxygen-free copper center conductors for accurate signal transmission without interference.
The Sennheiser HD 800 S headphones need the power of a headphone amplifier to reach their full — incredibly high — potential.
- inspected and factory-recertified
- assembled at Sennheiser's headquarters in Germany
- over-the-ear, open-back design for spacious sound and reduced vibration
- high-definition dynamic drivers produce natural, lifelike sound
- acoustic absorber technology reduces harsh frequency extremes for smoother highs and detailed low end
- 56mm sound transducers create a large soundstage
- a separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
- drivers direct sound waves to the ear at a 45° angle for a more natural listening experience
- matte black finish
- metal headband with layers of plastic to dampen vibrations
- earcups padded with soft, durable microfiber fabric
- 11.5-foot shielded cable with 1/4" stereo plug
- cleaning cloth included
- frequency response: 4-51,000 Hz (-10 dB)
- impedance: 300 ohms
- total harmonic distortion: less than .02% at 1Khz/1Vrms
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HD800 S recertified
What's in the box:
- Factory-recertified over-the-ear audiophile headphones
- 11.5' Cable with 1/4" plug (attached)
- 11.25' Balanced cable with 4.4mm balanced plug
- Microfiber cloth
- USB Flash Drive (manual)
- Instruction Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sennheiser HD 800 S (factory-recertified)
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||4.292" x 4.815"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||4-51k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Sennheiser HD 800 S is the new flagship in the Reference Class of wired headphones. The headphones are designed to give you an optimum natural listening experience, with a realistic sound field and extremely low distortion. The HD 800 S comes with two cables, including a balanced cable for use with headphone amplifiers. The headphones and cables can be stored in the elegant, padded box.
Open Design: The HD 800 S circum-aural (over-the-ear) headphones feature an open design to give you an exceptionally natural, spatial, and accurate sound. Unlike closed, noise-isolating ear cups, the HD 800 S's ear cups have a specialty steel mesh, molded to the natural shape of the acoustic chamber, to provide an open environment.
Angled Transducers: The HD 800 S has very large 56mm sound transducers to resemble the perfect positioning of a pair of reference monitors to put you in the center of the sweet spot. The ear cups are designed to direct the sound waves toward the ear at a slight angle to provide a natural, spatial listening experience. The ear cups also feature handmade microfiber ear pads for exceptional comfort over extended listening sessions.
Headphone Cables: The HD 800 S comes with two interchangeable headphone cables. The cables split a short distance from the headphones, and plug into each ear cup with a special, high precision connector. The 11.5' unbalanced cable is terminated with a standard, heavy-duty 1/4" plug. The 11.25' balanced cable has a 4.4mm connector that offers the best sound quality when used with a DAC or headphone amplifier. Both cables feature a nylon outer covering that quiets contact noise from the cable.
Note: Sennheiser offers a optional accessory cable with a balanced XLR-4 connector (CH 800 S). It is available directly from the manufacturer.
Storage Box: The HD 800 S has a sturdy, hinged box with cut-out foam padding for storage of your headphones and cables.
- Frequency Response: 10-44,100 Hz (-3dB); 4-51,000 Hz (-10dB)
- Nominal Impedance: 300Ω
- Max. Sound Pressure Level: 102 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)
- Long-term Input Power: max 500 mW
- THD (1kHz / 1V): ±0.02%
- Ear Cup Dimensions: Width 4.292", Height 4.815", Depth 1.9"
- Weight: 11.64 ounces (w/o cable)
The Sennheiser HD 800 S (factory-recertified) replaces these items
- open, over-the-ear stereo headphones
- high-definition ring radiator drivers are angled to create a more natural listening experience
- assembled by hand in Germany