About the Sennheiser IE 800S
Smooth, yet revealing sound from Sennheiser's signature in-ears
Smooth, yet revealing sound from Sennheiser's signature in-ears
Sennheiser made an oh-so-subtle tweak to the tuning of their flagship in-ear headphones to create this IE 800 S model. (Much like they did when they made their top-of-the-line HD 800 S over-ear headphones.) The result? They deliver the same spread-out, natural sound you expect from a pair of high-end Sennheisers — with smoothed-out peaks to prevent harshness. Clear and precise, but always pleasant.
Sennheiser's high-performance drivers
What's the secret to the stellar sound? Sennheiser's specially developed 7mm “extra wide band” dynamic drivers. These tiny full-range transducers are able to cover a wide frequency range with incredible clarity.
They are housed inside enclosures with unique design. Each earbud is dual-vented to direct airflow away from the diaphragm. This helps create the wide-open soundstage that you don't often get from in-ear headphones.
A selection of balanced and unbalanced cables
These top-flight in-ears are efficient enough to use with your phone, but a portable high-res music player will give you better sonic results. Sennheiser included a choice of cables for either situation. A Y-shaped adapter connects both earbuds and plugs into three included cables — one terminated with an unbalanced 3.5mm miniplug, and another with a balanced 2.5mm plug.
The third cable is one of the first to feature a 4.4mm balanced headphone plug. This is the new industry standard connection for balanced headphone operation, and it promises to cut down on signal noise and distortion. (Right now, you can use this connection with the Sennheiser HDV 820 headphone amp or the Sony NW-WM1Z Premium Walkman® high-res player.)
Find the best fit for comfort and sound
Sennheiser includes six pairs of ear tips to ensure a snug fit that feels completely comfortable to you. That's three sizes of soft silicone tips and three sizes of my personal preference — Comply foam tips.
These malleable, spongy tips don't just feel super soft, they also help make a sound-isolating seal. This helps reduce external noise, so the high-performance drivers can do their thing.
- high-performance in-ear headphones
- extra wide-band 7mm dynamic drivers produce detailed, full-range sound
- tuned to smooth out harsh peaks while remaining natural and accurate
- dual-chamber absorber for low distortion and improved dynamics
- earpiece vents to manage airflow
- helps create an open soundstage with proper imaging
- scratch-resistant ceramic housing
- two protective meshes to keep dirt and dust away from premium drivers
Included Cables and Ear Tips
- detachable 11" Y-divider connects to headphone cables via 2.5mm plug
- choice of 3 interchangeable connecting cables:
- 38" cable with unbalanced 3.5mm stereo miniplug
- 38" cable with balanced 2.5mm headphone plug (for compatible portable high-res music players)
- 42" cable with balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn headphone plug (for compatible portable high-res music players)
- includes 6 pairs of ear tips for a customized, comfortable fit:
- 3 sizes of angled silicone ear tips
- 3 sizes of Comply foam tips
General Info and Specs:
- leather carrying case snaps closed by magnet
- cleaning cloth included
- up to 26dB of noise attenuation
- total harmonic distortion: less than 0.06% at 1 kHz/94 dB
- frequency response: 5-46,500Hz
- sensitivity: 125 dB
- impedance: 16 ohms
- weight: 0.7 oz. (with cable)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 507360
What's in the box:
- In-ear headphones with attached 11" Y-divider (2.5mm plug)
- 38" Connecting cable (right-angled 3.5mm plug)
- 38" Connecting cable (right-angled 2.5mm balanced plug)
- 42" Connecting cable (right-angled 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced plug)
- 3 Pairs of silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- 3 Pairs of Comply foam ear tips
- Clothing clip
- Cleaning cloth
- Leather storage case (with magnetic closure)
- Instruction Manual
Sennheiser IE 800S reviews
Exceptional headphones with a traditional feel and appearance. I was a little nervous to buy these as I already have a pair of Shure 846 and AKG n5005 in ear headphones. Both have multiple drivers and have nuanced differences and exceptional sound. I am always in search of excellent sounding headphones so I thought I would give them a try as they had a pair on "Open Box" special. First off, huge kudos to Crutchfield, who once again knocked customer service out of the ballpark. Someone had put the previous generation headphone in the box and sent it back. They shipped me a brand new pair that I received less than 24 hours later, Amazing! So, the headphones themselves? Simply superb. I was concerned they only had 2 drivers, but the sound gave no indication of a lack of, quality or sheer accuracy. From lows, to mids to highs, these were exceptional headphones. I even pulled out my favorite over-the-ear Sony MDR-Z1R headphones to make sure I wasn't just settling and telling myself these were better than they are. The soundstage comparison between the two is remarkably close. When comparing to the Shure 846 and the AKG, they really keep up well. I used a balanced 4.4 cable for each comparison. I played Classical, heavy dance, classic rock and some acoustic. The Shure 846 sound a little more rounded, but its marginal. I think the 800s sounds better than the AKG. Cable noise is a factor on the 800s, but not bad. Size and comfort are best on the 800s. I would give the 800s 4.5 stars
Pros: Sound quality, Build Quality, multiple headphone jack options for standard and HiRes players.
Cons: Non replaceable cable from the headphone itself. No Bluetooth options so far, Some Cable noise when cable rubs clothing etc, not noticeable when music playing at moderate level.
4 of 5 found this helpful
More details on the Sennheiser IE 800S
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.386" x 0.4"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||5-46.5kHz Hz|
|Cord Length||49" + 53"|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Sennheiser IE 800 S high-end in-ear headphones pack an extraordinary amount of technology into a tiny package. The internal components create a stunning sound stage, and reproduce frequencies over a wide range. Three interchangeable cables are included to let you connect to both balanced and unbalanced sources, including Hi-Res audio players. The IE 800 S comes with 6 pairs of ear tips for best fit and comfort. The headphones can be stored in the included wallet-sized leather case.
Transducers: The headphones are equipped with Sennheiser proprietary 7mm XWB (extra wide band) dynamic drivers that faithfully reproduce frequencies from 5 Hz to 46,500 Hz. The patented dual-chamber absorber system (D2CA) overcomes the "masking effect" where louder low-frequency sounds cover up the delicate high-frequency details of your music. The internal components are housed in a scratch-resistant premium ceramic housing with a beautiful matt black finish.
Cables: The IE 800 S in-ear headphones are connected to an 11" Y-divider with an adjustable yoke and a male 2.5mm sub-mini plug. Three connecting audio cables are supplied, including two with balanced connectors, giving you between 49" and 53" of total cable length. The connecting cables have the following right-angled plugs: 2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced, and 3.5mm unbalanced. A clothing clip is included for cable management. None of the cables can be used for making phone calls, as there is no in-line remote/microphone.
Ear Tips: The IE 800 S in-ear headphones come with two types of ear tips, each in small, medium, and large. You can choose from soft silicone ear tips and Comply memory foam ear tips. The Comply tips compress between your fingers before inserting, and expand inside your ear canal to provide superb attenuation of external noise.
Cleaning: The ear buds are equipped with a protective mesh in the nozzle to help prevent a build-up of ear wax. In addition, the silicone ear tips have this same protective mesh, while the Comply tips have a softer foam protective cover. A soft cleaning cloth is included.
- Frequency Response (Headphones): 5Hz - 46,500 Hz
- Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 125 dB (1 kHz/1Vrms)
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0.06 % (1 kHz, 94 dB SPL)
- Attenuation: -26dB
- Impedance: 16 Ω
- Ear Bud Dimensions: Width 0.386" Height 0.4" Depth 0.87"
- Weight: 0.28 ounces (w/o cables), 0.7 ounces (w/cable)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?