About the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless
Popular vintage-styled headphones get a modern update
The Sennheiser Momentum 3 wireless noise-canceling headphones fold into a neat portable bundle.
Popular vintage-styled headphones get a modern update
Sennheiser's Momentum noise-canceling wireless headphones have been a big hit with Crutchfield customers for years. This is the third model in the popular franchise, and Sennheiser has loaded it with some cutting-edge convenience features. But don't worry, they still offer everything we loved about the first two generations. That includes a charming retro design, premium build and feel, and — of course — the company's sophisticated sound signature.
Music plays wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth 5.0 — the strongest, most reliable Bluetooth yet. And powerful active noise-canceling circuitry helps block out loud nuisances like plane engines and office HVAC systems. You just slip the relaxed-fit headband on, sink into the soft leather ear pads, and enjoy Sennheiser's pleasant, well-balanced sound.
Sennheiser's free app lets you adjust the sound and noise cancellation
For manual noise-canceling control, download the free Smart Control app to your Apple® or Android™ device. It lets you choose from three levels of noise cancellation. Need to hear your surroundings? Transparent hearing mode uses the headphones' built-in mics to allow in ambient sounds.
You can also tweak the out-of-the-box sound. Choose from sound setting presets, adjust the EQ manually, or use the app's "emotional equalizer" screen to make tonal adjustments based on your mood.
The free Sennheiser Smart Control app lets you manually adjust the noise cancellation and sound.
Track down your lost headphones
If you misplace your headphones, the app has a built-in Bluetooth tracker from Tile®. Within Bluetooth range, the Momentum headphones will play an audible tone, so you can find them. Sennheiser says that wireless range can reach up to 150 feet (although I haven't had a chance to confirm this with my own research just yet).
Built to travel, and sound good doing it
Heavy-duty, rugged parts like stainless steel sliders and a leather headband make these lightweight headphones incredibly durable. Thanks to internal earcup sensors, they power on as soon as you place them on your head. When you remove them, your music pauses. And the headphones power off when you fold them up for storage.
Control music, calls, and summon your voice assistant
There are three buttons on the right earcup that let you control music playback and volume, and also answer calls. The built-in dual-beam microphone system captures your voice for clear call quality.
One of those buttons also gives you one-tap access to Google Assistant or Siri® via your smartphone. Ask questions, dictate texts, or control your tunes by voice — with no awkward delays. (Sennheiser tells us Amazon Alexa support is coming soon with a future firmware update.)
17 hours of battery life and wired listening option
You get up to 17 hours of wireless music playback with noise cancellation on a full charge. If you're in a situation where you don't need wireless, a cable is included for both passive and listening without noise cancellation.
- closed-back, over-the-ear design
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless music listening and phone calls
- aptX® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- aptX Low Latency decoding helps sync audio and video on compatible devices
- 42mm drivers tuned for accurate, detailed sound across a wide frequency range
Noise cancellation, optional mobile app, and controls:
- active noise cancellation uses internal circuitry to reduces external distractions
- choose from 3 levels of noise cancellation
- free Sennheiser Smart Control app for Apple and Android allows you to adjust settings and customize the sound
- Transparent Hearing Mode lets you hear external sounds
- built-in Tile® Bluetooth tracker helps locate lost headphones
- dedicated earcup button summons Google Assistant or Siri on your smartphone or tablet
- ask questions, dictate texts, and control music by voice
- available for Apple® and Android™
- Amazon Alexa will be available with future firmware update
- earcup buttons let you answer calls, play/pause music, skip tracks, and control volume
Premium build and design:
- stainless steel ear cup sliders and rugged leather headband for durability
- soft leather, oversized ear pads for long-lasting comfort
- folding design for compact storage
Battery info, accessories, and specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 17 hours of wireless use with noise cancellation
- two USB-C charging cables included (USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to USB-A)
- detachable cable with 3.5mm miniplug connector for wired use
- carrying case
- frequency response: 6-23,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 99 dB
- impedance: 470 ohms (active); 100 ohms (passive)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 508234
What's in the box:
- Over-ear wireless headphones (black)
- 56" Audio cable (right-angled 3.5mm plug)
- 50" USB cable (USB-C plugs on both ends)
- USB adapter (Type C-to-Type A)
- Round zippered storage case
- Quick Guide
- Feedback QR Code
- Compliance Information
Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.17" x 4.03"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||6-22k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Sennheiser Momentum Wireless (M3 AEBTXL) headphones have a closed circum-aural (over-the-ear) design with Bluetooth 5.0 technology and Active Noise Cancellation. The headphones come with a straight connecting cable for those times when you can't go wireless, a USB-C charging cable for the internal battery, and a soft zippered storage case.
Bluetooth: The Momentum Wireless headphones have Bluetooth version 5.0 which pairs to your phone or audio device in seconds. You can make and receive phone calls and stream audio wirelessly in a range of up to 33', depending upon environmental conditions. The headphones have the following profiles -- HSP, HFP, AVRCP, and A2DP, and the following codecs: aptX, aptX LL, AAC, and SBC. For NFC-compatible devices, you can easily pair the headphones with your phone by touching it to the N-mark on the right earcup.
aptX: With aptX audio coding, the Momentum Wireless headphones deliver clean, crisp audio in full stereo. If your Bluetooth audio source supports aptX, the headphones will automatically stream music wirelessly in aptX high-quality mode. If the device is not equipped with aptX, the music will be streamed in the standard quality mode. Also, aptX LL (Low Latency) makes your video streaming or gaming experience better by reducing or eliminating any delay between the on-screen action and the accompanying audio.
Active Noise Cancellation: The Momentum Wireless headphones feature Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) with three different modes to choose from. Four microphones integrated into the ear cups pick up ambient noise. The headphones cancel the ambient noise with an equal, but opposite, signal. ANC is most effective with low-frequency noise, such as engines and wind. On the headphones, you can simply turn ANC on or off. Using the Sennheiser Smart Control app, you can choose between the following ANC modes:
- Max: Provides the maximum reduction of background noise (default setting).
- Anti-Wind: A slight reduction in overall background noise, but eliminates disturbing wind or movement noise.
- Anti-Pressure: Provides a comfortable reduction in noise without feeling pressure in the ears.
Transparent Hearing: The Transparent Hearing mode lets you stay aware of your surroundings while wearing the headphones. This lets you carry on conversations, listen to important announcements, or hear street noise and nearby traffic. On the headphones, you can simply turn Transparent Hearing on or off. In the Smart Control app, you can turn the feature on or off, and select whether or not you want to keep music playing when the feature is activated.
Smart Control App: The Sennheiser Smart Control app lets you control and personalize the Momentum Wireless headphones to your needs and convenience. In addition to configuring the Active Noise Cancellation and Transparent Hearing features (described above), the app offers an equalizer for adjusting the bass, midrange, and treble to your liking. Using your smartphone's touch screen, you can make adjustments to the sound by moving an onscreen dot up or down to raise or lower the selected frequencies. The latest settings made in the app are stored in the headphones, and will be active the next time you use the headphones, whether you use the app or not. You can deactivate the EQ by touching the center dot on the EQ graph to "center" the settings. The Smart Control app also lets you turn on/off Smart Pause, which automatically pauses music playback when you remove the headphones, and resumes playback when you put them back on. The Smart Control app is available for iOS devices (requires Version 11 or later) and Android devices (requires Version 7.0 and up).
Auto On/Off: The headphones will automatically power on and off as you unfold or fold the ear cups. This helps save battery power when you are finished listening without having to manually turn off the headphones. Folding the left ear cup in toward the headband, and then the right, turns off the headphones. Fully unfolding the ear cups turns the headphones on.
Rechargeable Battery: The Momentum Wireless headphones are powered by an internal, 3.7VDC 600-700 mAh Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery. The battery charges in about 3 hours via USB power (using the supplied USB cable) from a laptop, an AC-powered USB charging port, or a mobile 12-volt USB charging port. The 50" supplied cable is USB-C to USB-C, and comes with a USB-C -to- USB-A adapter for power supplies that are not USB-C compatible. A fully-charged battery provides approximately 17 hours, using both Bluetooth and Active Noise Cancellation. You can keep track of the remaining battery life through the multi-color LED and voice prompts, as well as on your connected smartphone or tablet.
Find My Headphones: Sennheiser has partnered with Tile to help you find your headphones using your smartphone or tablet and the Tile app. The app uses Bluetooth Low Energy to communicate with your headphones, and Location Services to record the last known location of your headphones. The Tile app is compatible with iOS devices (requires iOS 11.0 or later) and Android devices (version varies with device).
Phone/Music Controls: The following music and phone controls are located along the rim of the right ear cup:
- Volume: consists of two independent Volume Up and Volume Down buttons
- Music Playback: consists of single or multiple presses of the multi-function button. Controls include play, pause, next track, previous track, fast forward, and fast rewind.
- Phone Controls: consists of single or multiple presses of the multi-function button when you have an incoming call, or make a call. Controls include: Accept call, reject call, redial last number dialed, accept an incoming call and end an active call, put an active call on hold and accept an incoming call, and toggle between an active call and a call on hold. You can also mute the microphone during an active call by pressing the "volume +" and "volume -" buttons simultaneously.
Voice Assistant: The Momentum Wireless headphones have a dedicated button to access your favorite digital voice assistant. The Voice Assistant button (marked with a microphone icon) once will activate the Voice Assistant, depending on the system or app on your smartphone: Siri, Google Assistant, etc.
Audio Cable: If you can't listen to the headphones wirelessly, you can still enjoy your music through a wired connection. An attachable 56" straight audio cable is provided with a right-angled 3.5mm mini-plug. As long as the battery is charged, you can still take advantage of the Active Noise Cancellation when using the headphones with the audio cable. The headphone's music/phone controls and Voice Assistant functions are disabled when the audio cable is used.
Design and Materials: The Momentum Wireless headphones are equipped with lightweight brushed stainless steel sliders, a luxurious, genuine leather headband, and redesigned ear cushions with memory foam. The headphones fold into a compact package that you can place in the provided round, zippered storage case.
- Frequency Response: 6Hz - 22kHz
- Impedance: 100Ω passive, 470Ω active
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.3%
- Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 118dB SPL passive, 99dB SPL active
- Ear Cups: Width 3.17", Height 4.03", Depth 1.803"
- Weight: 10.9 ounces (11.2 ounces w/cable)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked