Garmin Delta® XC
Remote-controlled dog training collar system
Our take on the Garmin Delta® XC by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The included remote gives you complete control of the Garmin Delta XC from up to 1/2 mile away.
An obedient dog is a safe dog
Many owners cite behavioral issues as a reason to surrender a dog to a shelter. Our goal is to keep your dog safe and by your side for the long haul, and the Garmin Delta XC can help. The collar device is controlled by a handheld remote control with a 1/2 mile range, and it can administer three types of correction: audible tone, vibration, or static stimulation.
What's up with static stimulation?
Many of us — me included — aren't totally comfortable with the idea of using electrical correction on our beloved pets. As such, I decided to try these devices on myself before I wrote about them. The Delta XC has 18 levels of stimulation, which you can set to be momentary, or last as long as you hold down the remote button.
The lowest setting is a light tingle — kind of a mild wake-up call. The higher levels felt more like the times I'd bashed the funny bone in my elbow a little too hard. It wasn't a pleasant sensation, I didn't find it really painful.
My final take is: If your dog is stubborn and gets himself into dangerous situations like running toward the road or showing aggression when he shouldn't, static correction is a safe and effective way to deter him from those detrimental behaviors and keep him by your side.
- durable, waterproof dog training device with handheld remote
- device fits dog collars up to 3/4"
- 3 modes of remote-controlled correction:
- 18 levels each of momentary or continuous static stimulation
- audible warning tone
- attention-getting vibration
- 3 correction configurations for different behavioral issues
- 1/2 mile remote control range
- train up to three dogs with the same device
- powered by rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- device dimensions: 2-5/16"W x 1-1/2"H x 1-1/2"D
- device weight: 2.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Dog training handheld device
- Dog collar device
- 2 Short contact points (installed on dog device)
- 2 Long contact points
- Contact point wrench
- 28" Black collar strap (3/4" width)
- Charging clip
- 19" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini-B USB on other end)
- 15" Charging cable splitter (female Mini-B USB on one end and two male Mini-B USB on other end)
- AC adapter (DC output: 5V 1A)
- AC plug adapter (US 2 prong plug)
- Handheld unit lanyard
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Garmin Delta XC Dog Training System helps you train your canine and correct unwanted behavior from up to 1/2 mile away. This training bundle includes the Delta XC collar device, the Delta XC handheld controller, and a collar strap. The Delta XC Device is worn on your dog's collar and provides corrective feedback via tones, vibration, or stimulation. The handheld controller is used while training your dog to trigger the corrective feedback on the collar device. You can train up to 3 dogs, switching from one to the other on the controller. In addition to the collar device and controller, the bundle includes two sets of contact points (long and short) with wrench, AC adapter, and charging cables.
Training Device: The Delta XC training device is a small, lightweight device that fits collar straps up to 3/4" wide and up to 1/8" thick. It has two contact points that gently touch the front of your dog's neck. The device can deliver a tone alert, vibration, or corrective stimulation to get your dog's attention, and safely and effectively provide a deterrent to unwanted or annoying behaviors. The Handheld Controller features three "action" buttons to choose the type of correction (tone, vibration, stimulation). Side buttons allow you to switch between training configurations and different dogs being trained. A 7/8" diameter LCD indicates the selected dog device, stimulation intensity level, selected training mode, and battery charge level. Both devices have an IPX7 water rating, so it is safe to use in wet conditions. Dimensions:
- Collar Device: 2.32"W x 1.185"H (w/o contact points) x 1.438"D, Weight 2.3 ounces
- Handheld Controller: 2.019"W x 5.366"H x 1.053"D, Weight 3.8 ounces
Training Methods: The Delta XC system offers several methods for training your dog: Tone, Vibration, and Stimulation (momentary or continuous). There are 18 stimulation intensity levels, which increase sequentially from 1 to 18. Stimulation should be applied at the lowest level initially, and gradually increased until the dog reacts such as a head shake, neck movement, or change in facial expression. The available training methods include:
- Tone: The dog device plays an audible tone for as long as you press the training key, for a maximum of 8 seconds. A tone can be used as positive or negative reinforcement, depending upon your training program.
- Vibration: The device delivers a vibration for as long as you press the key, up to 8 seconds maximum. Vibration may be a more effective training tool than stimulation, depending upon your dog's temperament and experience.
- Momentary Stimulation: A brief corrective stimulation is applied when you press the training key. The duration of the stimulation is not based on how long the key is depressed.
- Continuous Stimulation: Continuous stimulation is applied to the dog the entire time you press the training key, up to a maximum of 8 seconds. Typically, your stimulations should be much shorter than 8 seconds.
Training Modes: The Delta XC offers three training modes, which assign different combinations of momentary stimulation, continuous stimulation, tone, and vibration to the training keys on the controller. The available training modes include:
|Mode||Top Key||Middle Key||Bottom Key||Description|
|TVM||Tone||Vibration||Momentary (low)||For beginning training, sensitive dog, or minor corrections|
|VCM||Vibration||Continuous (high)||Momentary (high)||All-around training|
|TCM||Tone||Continuous (high)||Momentary (high)||All-around training|
Power Requirements: The Delta XC device and handheld controller are both powered by Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries. The batteries charge in approximately 2 hours when connected to the charging cable and the AC / USB power port. The included splitter allows you to charge both at once. When fully charged, the dog device and controller each have approximately 60 hours of typical use.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Bought a collar elsewhere with 100 yard range. By the time you notice the dog sneaking away it's already out of range for the collar. It only lasted about a year before it no longer worked so it was useless. I contacted the company several times, never received a reply. The other collar used a confusing transmitter so when we tried to teach the dog with a sound or vibration it would zap her. Lesson learned!! We are going with Crutchfield this time for good service, products and we trust! [ RICHARD Jul 31, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
Hi Andrew. We reached directly to Garmin and they said as long as the dog is not a "tea-cup" size it should work wonderfully. [ Jeff Oct 20, 2017 ] Staff