About the Garmin epix™ (Gen 2)
The watch for your lifestyle
The watch for your lifestyle
Lifestyle isn't just what you wear and what you listen to. If you're committed to a holistic approach to your health, you know that you need to stay active and keep track of how your body is responding to the demands of everyday living. Garmin's epix (Gen 2) smartwatch will do all that while looking great on your wrist. The 1.3" AMOLED color display is stunning and customizable, and the "always-on" feature lets you keep the screen bright in all lighting conditions.
Training metrics and performance tracking
epix can help you track your health in a variety of ways. It employs wrist-based heart rate monitoring, so you're always able to tap into this vital metric. And using the data it records with its heart rate monitor, epix will estimate and track your VO2 max. A Pulse Ox sensor is on your wrist as well, recording altitude acclimation and helping monitor your sleep. By combining this information, epix lets you know when it's smart to rest and when it's time to ramp up the intensity in your workouts.
epix doesn't stop there. It will track stress and respiration, and, with Body Battery™ Energy Monitoring, even let you know when to turn up the intensity and when to rest.
Your workout partner
What activities get you going? However you like to break a sweat, epix provides over 30 different sports apps to capture the important metrics of your workout. Take your choice from activities as diverse as mountain biking, rowing, hiking, yoga, running, golf, indoor climbing, and more. Some other cool workout features:
- Super accurate GPS measures distance and speed for running, rides, hiking, and more.
- Animated cardio, strength, Pilates, and yoga workouts guide display for you on the watch screen.
- HIIT timers make it easy to track your HIIT workouts.
- Free Garmin Coach training plans from Garmin Connect sync to epix so you can prepare for your next big event.
- epix will provide ride and run recommendations based on your current training load.
If you're a cyclist, epix is also fully compatible with Garmin's Vector™ pedals or ANT+ power meters, so you can track and record your power output throughout your ride. For extra safety, this watch is also compatible with Garmin's Varia™ lights and rear-view radar systems.
epix teams up with your smartphone to let you receive texts, emails, and alerts on the color touchscreen. And when your workout is done, this watch automatically uploads the data to Garmin Connect, where you can examine it, share it with your friends through social media, or sync it with many popular fitness-tracking apps. Assistance and incident detection harness the power of your phone to send your location to emergency contacts.
Internal music storage lets you carry your favorite songs and playlists with you on your wrist. Or you can use epix to control your favorite music apps on your smartphone.
- multisport GPS smart watch with color touchscreen display
- 1.3" AMOLED color touchscreen
- Corning Gorilla Glass DX lens
- multi-satellite network capability (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo)
- customizable display fields, compatible with Connect iQ app for custom watch faces, widgets, and data fields
- ANT+ and Bluetooth capable with compatible devices
- time, date, alarm, timer, chronograph, pace alerts, chimes, and vibration watch functions
- over 30 sport apps to record different sports and workouts
- wrist-based heart rate monitor and Pulse Ox sensor
- VO2 max and Pulse Ox estimation
- SkiView maps for over 2000 ski areas
- HIIT workout tracking
- recovery advisor
- race predictor
- swimming stroke recognition, lap counter, open-water distance
- running dynamics measurements
- step counter with auto goal setter and move notifications
- downloadable Multi-Continent TopoActive maps with Wi-Fi available
- round-trip routing
- turn-by-turn navigation
- memory for up to 1000 customizable waypoints and 30 routes, with 200 hour track log
- Smart Notifications (texts, emails, alerts) when paired with your smartphone
- internal music storage and control over smartphone music apps
- compatible with Garmin Pay
- incident detection and assistance send your location to emergency contacts
- automatic syncing with Garmin Connect training app
- sleep monitoring
- respiration tracking
- Body Battery™ energy monitoring
- built-in altimeter, barometer, and compass
- compatible with Garmin Vector pedals and other ANT+ -enabled power meters
- compatible with Garmin Varia lights and accessories
- Power Manager and Expedition Mode for extended battery life
- battery life:
- smartwatch: up to 16 days
- GPS: up to 42 hours
- Expedition: up to 14 days
- water rated to 100 meters
- band adjustable from 4.9" to 8.2"
- dimensions: 1.85"W x 1.85"H x .55"D
- weight: 2.7 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02582-00
What's in the box:
- 47mm GPS multi-sport watch (Slate stainless steel bezel with 22mm slate silicone band)
- 21" USB data/charging cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
Garmin epix™ (Gen 2) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin epix™ (Gen 2)
Overview: The Garmin epix™ (Gen 2) (010-02582-00) is an advanced health, fitness, and training watch with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver which accurately pinpoints and tracks your location during your activities. With the built-in wrist-based heart rate technology, your heart rate can be measured at the wrist instead of requiring you to wear a separate chest strap. The results of your activities can be easily uploaded to the Garmin Connect online community for sharing. epix lets you easily download songs and playlists to the device, so you can listen to your favorite music with Bluetooth headphones (sold separately), without your phone.
Physical Attributes: The epix™ sportswatch features a rugged round passivated stainless steel bezel and rear cover, a 47mm fiber-reinforced polymer outer case, and a Corning Gorilla Glass DX lens. The silicone band fits wrists with a circumference of 4.92" to 8.19" (125-208mm). The silicone watch band can be replaced with a wide variety of optional Quick Release Bands (22mm) available separately from Garmin.
- Watch: Width 1.955", Height 2.16", Depth 0.622"
- Band: Width 0.865" (22mm), Length 10.313"
- Weight: 2.7 ounces
Display: The Garmin epix™ (Gen 2) has a 1.3" diameter AMOLED touchscreen display with a resolution of 416 x 416 pixels. You can set the length of time before the display turns off, or choose the Always On option to keep the time of day visible. When the Gesture feature is turned on, the backlight comes on when you raise or turn your arm to look at your wrist. The online Garmin Connect IQ Store lets you download optional watch faces, apps, and widgets to customize your watch to match your personality.
Music Storage and Controls: The epix™ (Gen 2) lets you download audio content from your computer or third-party provider and store it on your device. There is enough built-in memory on the device to store up to 2000 songs and playlists, so you can leave your phone behind and listen to your favorite tunes on Bluetooth headphones. When paired with your smartphone, epix can also control the music loaded onto your phone. You can browse the audio files and playlists, adjust the volume, play/pause the current track, skip to the next or previous track, fast forward or fast reverse the current track, and engage the repeat or shuffle modes.
Water Resistant: The epix™ (Gen 2) has a 10 ATM water rating, which means it can withstand pressures equivalent to a depth of 100 meters (328 feet). Not only can you wear the device in the rain and wet weather, you can even swim with it. It is not recommended for scuba diving. The device also has a wide operating temperature range of -4° to 113°F.
Wireless Connectivity: You can connect your epix™ (Gen 2) to your smartphone via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz) using the Garmin Connect app to gain access to numerous connected features. You can reply to text messages and be alerted of incoming phone calls. (To talk to the caller, you must use your connected phone.) The Garmin Connect app is available for Android (7.0 and up) and iOS (13.0 or later). The epix can also connect to Bluetooth accessories, such as Bluetooth headphones, for listening to music stored on your device.
Bluetooth Connected Features: The Garmin epix™ (Gen 2) features Bluetooth wireless technology that allows you to pair the device to your smartphone through the Garmin Connect Mobile app. When connected via Bluetooth, you can do the following:
- LiveTrack: Your friends and family can follow your races and training activities in real time on the Garmin Connect tracking page. You can also invite others to follow via email or social media. (You must have your phone paired to the device throughout your run for Live Tracking.)
- Automatic Uploads: When your workout is completed, you can automatically upload the stored data from your activity to Garmin Connect.
- Bluetooth Sensors: You can connect the device to Bluetooth heart rate monitors or Bluetooth headphones.
- Phone Notifications: When you receive notifications and messages on your phone, they are displayed on the epix.
- Connect IQ: Allows you to extend your device features with new watch faces, widgets, apps, and data fields.
- Weather: Allows you to view current weather conditions and weather forecasts.
- Software Updates: You can keep your device up to date with software updates.
- Find My Phone/Find My Watch: When your epix and smartphone are paired, you can locate a lost smartphone with the watch, or a lost watch with your smartphone, as long as you're in range.
High-Sensitivity GPS Receiver: The unit features a high-sensitivity GPS receiver. With multi-satellite support (GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo), the device stays locked onto satellites, even near tall buildings or under tree cover. If you're in a wide open area, you can turn off the GLONASS or Galileo options to save battery life. The epix is also equipped with altimeter (for elevation data), barometer (showing short-term air pressure trends), and compass sensors (to keep your bearings).
Maps: The epix sportswatch can display several types of maps, including maps with topographical contours, points of interest, ski resorts, and golf courses. Additional maps can be purchased directly from Garmin and downloaded to your watch.
Wrist-based Heart Rate: The epix™ (Gen 2) is equipped with Elevate™ wrist-based heart rate technology, which monitors your heart rate without having to wear a chest strap. Whenever you wear the epix sportswatch, your heart rate is being monitored through your skin, even while you sleep. The heart rate data helps to provide an accurate reading of calories burned, and to measure the intensity of your workout. You may turn off wrist-based heart rate monitoring while wearing an optional chest heart rate monitor, if desired.
Heart Rate Features: You can use the heart rate data to measure your level of fitness and cardiovascular strength. Many athletes use heart rate zones, a set range of heartbeats per minute, to determine how hard you're working out. Heart rate zones are commonly numbered from 1 to 5 according to increasing intensity, and are calculated on percentages of your maximum heart rate. Other health measurements include VO2 Max (oxygen consumption), heart rate variability (indicates stress levels), and Pulse Oximeter (oxygen saturation in your blood).
Step Counter: The epix's activity tracking feature records your daily step count, distance traveled, intensity minutes, calories burned, and sleep statistics for each recorded day. You can create daily goals, which are updated automatically based on your previous activity levels, or allow the watch to automatically create a goal for you. Move alerts, which appear after a period of inactivity, remind you to keep moving.
Sleep Tracking: The smartwatch's Sleep Mode can monitor your rest, and display sleep statistics such as total hours of sleep, periods of movement, and periods of restful sleep. If desired, you can use the Do Not Disturb mode to turn off the backlight and vibration alerts.
Sport and Activity Profiles: The epix™ (Gen 2) features preloaded apps that help you track your activities and fitness. These apps provide guidance for specific activities that you can do indoors or outdoors. These activities include:
- Strength: counts your reps and sets for strength training activities.
- Interval Training: has specialized timers for HIIT (high-intensity interval training) activities.
- Treadmill: records time and distance covered for treadmill runs.
- Running: records time and distance covered for outdoor runs. Also records laps for track running.
- Biking: records time and distance covered for bicycling.
- Skiing: records details of each downhill skiing or snowboarding runs.
- Pool Swimming: records swim intervals and lengths.
- Golf: displays full-color CourseView maps of more than 42,000 preloaded golf courses, keeps your score on a digital scorecard. Distance information is displayed for each hole (front, middle, and back of green, plus layups and doglegs). Compatible with the Garmin Approach CT10 golf club sensors for tracking your shots, including location, distance, and club type.
Garmin Pay: The Garmin epix™ (Gen 2) features the Garmin Pay contactless payment solution. Garmin Pay lets you pay for purchases quickly without your wallet or phone. It works almost anywhere you can make contactless payments. All you have to do is enter your passcode, select the credit card you want to use from your virtual wallet, and hold your wrist near the card reader. Your card number is not stored on your device, or passed to merchants when you pay, so it's private and secure. Garmin Pay works with many major credit and debit cards from major banks, including Visa and MasterCard.
Rechargeable Battery: The epix™ (Gen 2) has a powerful built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. A 21" data cable/charging cradle is provided for charging the battery and uploading your training data. The battery life depends upon the features you use:
|With Always-On||With Wrist Gesture|
|Smartwatch Mode||Up to 6 days||Up to 16 days|
|Battery Saver watch mode||N/A||Up to 21 days|
|GPS only mode||Up to 30 hours||Up to 42 hours|
|All satellite systems mode||Up to 24 hours||Up to 32 hours|
|All satellite systems + |
|Up to 15 hours||Up to 20 hours|
|All satellite systems |
with music mode
|Up to 9 hours||Up to 10 hours|
|Max. battery GPS mode||N/A||Up to 75 hours|
|Expedition GPS mode||N/A||Up to 14 days|
ANT+ Sensors: The epix™ (Gen 2) can be used with wireless 2.4 GHz ANT+ add-on sensors, such as optional chest heart rate monitors. Other optional ANT+ sensors that work with the watch include the Bike Speed Sensor 2, Cadence Sensor 2, Running Dynamics pod, and tempe external temperature sensor.
User Profile: The sportswatch uses information that you enter about yourself to calculate accurate training data. You can enter the following user profile information: Gender, Birth Year, Height, Weight, and heart rate zone. The device will use this information to calculate accurate training data.
Auto Lap: Auto Lap automatically marks a lap at a specific distance. This feature is helpful for comparing your performance over different parts of an activity. Each time you complete a lap, the device will beep or vibrate, and the lap time is displayed.
Auto Pause: You can set the epix™ (Gen 2) to pause the timer automatically when you stop moving, or when your pace drops below a specified value. This feature is helpful if you have to stop for traffic or to tie your shoe during your run.
Watch Functions: When you're not working out, the epix™ (Gen 2) can be used as a basic watch, displaying the time and date, along with an alarm and stopwatch. You can configure the watch face in a number of ways, including analog/digital, icons, style, and colors. The time is automatically set by the GPS receiver (or manually, if desired), and can be displayed in 12-hour or 24-hour format. The device can also provide local sunrise and sunset times.
Watch Faces: The epix™ (Gen 2) lets you customize the appearance of the watch face by selecting available layouts, colors, and additional data. Custom watch faces can be downloaded from the Connect IQ store.