About the Garmin Alpha® 200
Track and train your dog or pack
Track and train your dog or pack
Garmin's Alpha 200 handheld GPS dog tracking and training device provides a reliable connection with up to 20 of your friends (with 4 or 2 legs) out in the field. Outfit your canine (or canines) with a Garmin tracking collar like the TT 15X and you can see your dog's speed, traveling direction, and distance — up to nine miles away. This rugged handheld boasts a 3.5" touchscreen plus six easy-to-use buttons for convenient training with vibrations and tones using a compatible collar. And it offers excellent TopoActive and BirdsEye maps so you'll have an accurate view of your surroundings and the terrain your charges are traversing.
See your surroundings clearly on the Alpha 200's 3.5" color display
Accuracy and long-lasting performance
The Alpha 200 can connect with GPS or Galileo satellites every 2.5 seconds, for reliable location tracking no matter where you or your dogs roam. And it comes with a rechargeable battery with up to 20 hours of juice at the ready. Built-in Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth® Low Energy, and ANT+ ensure you stay connected wirelessly.
Big buttons & screen
The Alpha 200's ready for the field with rugged waterproof construction. It features a 3.5" color capacitive touchscreen that works in bright sunlight, plus six buttons that make it simple to make quick adjustments to your dog's training regimen.
Your Alpha handheld comes pre-loaded with TopoActive maps which give you detailed views of terrain contours, topographic elevations, summits, parks, coastlines, rivers, lakes, and geographical points, plus federal public land boundaries. You can mark waypoints, create routes, and record tracks. Set up a custom geofence and you'll get notified if your dog enters or leaves that area. You can also keep an eye on where other Alpha-toting members of your group are. All from the palm of your hand.
The Alpha 200 also includes free lifetime access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery where you can download highly-detailed raster maps. These high-res overhead images provide a real-life view of roads, parking areas, and terrain — a great supplement to the comprehensive TopoActive maps on your Alpha. The 200 comes with 16GB internal memory, plus a microSD™ card slot so you can add even more maps, including optional Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K and HuntView content.
Explore to your heart's content
The Alpha 200 comes with a barometric altimeter and 3-axis electronic compass to help you keep your bearings. Built-in hunt metrics let you track each dog's performance over time, so you can adjust their training and keep them from overheating. The pro view compass mode gives you at-a-glance tracking that shows which direction and how far away your dogs are, plus you will see when a dog is “Treed” or “OnPoint.”
Add collars for your dogs
The 200 can track and train up to 20 dogs. Add dual-purpose TT 15X collar if you need to be able to remotely communicate with the whole pack. It allows you to train your dog with audible tone and vibration settings. Or, choose to administer momentary or continuous stimulation using the Alpha's training keys.
Customize the intensity by choosing between traditional or linear stimulation. The device defaults to linear stimulation which provides progressively more stimulation from levels 1 to 18. You can also choose the traditional method which allows you to make quick changes (low, medium, or high) within a predetermined level (1 to 6).
Or, if you only need to track your dog, you can use the Alpha with a T 5X — a great option for field trials and competitions that don't allow stimulation.
Manage your pack
When dealing with a bevy of barkers, the Alpha 200 really shines. It offers a dog list and group management functions so you can keep up with active dogs on your expeditions without losing the settings for inactive dogs. Store up to 250 dogs as contacts and pull them up easily on your next hunt.
Use it with another device
There are a few ways you can employ the Alpha 200 with another device. When paired with Garmin's DriveTrack, it lets you see where your dog is from the truck. If you've got a Garmin Instinct, fenix, or tactix watch, you can use Garmin's Dog Tracking widget. And if you have an Alpha 200i or an Astro device, you can use the Alpha 200 as a companion for receiving information.
Use it with the Garmin Explore app
The Garmin Explore app lets you get more out of your Alpha 200 on your smartphone or tablet. It displays dog tracking data in an easy-to-follow fashion, with dog locations, tracks, and more, overlaid on a map inside the Explore app. You can also sync and view tracks after the hunt without missing any data, so you can review each dog's performance and take the next steps in their training.
- GPS handheld device for dog tracking and training
- belt clip, AC adapter, and USB power cable included
- built-in user-replaceable rechargeable battery with up to 20 hours of life
- built-in Wi-Fi, ANT+, and Bluetooth Low Energy
- 3.5" color (282 x 470 pixels) capacitive TFT touchscreen display
- six buttons for fast training cues and minor adjustments in the field
- 16 GB internal memory
- preloaded Garmin TopoActive maps
- access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (no subscription required)
- electronic compass and barometric altimeter
- hunt timer functions
- dog lists and group management (store up to 250 dog contacts)
- track up to 20 dogs or people:
- Garmin TT 15X or T 5X collars for dogs required
- range: 9 miles (TT 15 and T 5 collars)
- measures each dog's speed, direction, and distance traveled
- delivers their exact position as often as every 2.5 seconds
- training for up to 20 dogs (separate collar required):
- non-stimulating audible tone and vibration options
- 18 levels of continuous and momentary stimulation
- traditional stimulation allows you to make quick changes (low, medium, or high) within a predetermined stimulation level (1-6)
- linear stimulation allows progressively more stimulation from levels 1-18
- compatible with other Garmin Alpha and Astro dog tracking/training devices
- compatible with Garmin DriveTrack 71 for a big-picture solution for your vehicle
- compatible with Garmin Instinct, fenix, and tactix watches with built-in tracking apps for wrist-based use
- compatible with Garmin Explore app for live tracking and hunt replay on smartphone and tablet
- IPX7-rated waterproof
- microSD card slot
- dimensions: 2.7"W x 6.4"H x 1.3"D
- weight: 9.9 oz. with antenna and battery
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02616-50
What's in the box:
- Dog tracking/training handheld device
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 1960mAh 7.25Wh)
- 4.75" Screw-in antenna
- AC adapter with dual USB ports (DC output: 5V 2.4A)
- 19" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Belt clip
- Snap-on button clip
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
- BirdsEye Direct-to-Device information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Alpha® 200
Overview: The Garmin Alpha 200 handheld unit allows you to track up to 20 dogs from up to 9 miles away. It also lets you train your dogs with tone, vibration, or corrective stimulation. The device is preloaded with topographical maps, and includes direct-to-device BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. The Alpha 200 is 2-3/4" (W) x 6-3/8" (H)(10" with antenna), and 1-3/8" (D) and weighs 9.9 ounces with battery and antenna.
Note: The Alpha 200i (upgrade) adds inReach Satellite technology that lets you communicate with others via text messaging when you're out of cell phone range, or send interactive SOS messages in an emergency.
MURS/VHF: The Alpha 200 communicates using two-way MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) in the VHF radio band. The TT 15, TT 15 Mini, T5, and T5 Mini dog devices are all compatible with the Alpha 200. The handheld device can track up to 20 dogs (using one of the above dog devices) and buddies (with other Alpha handhelds).
GPS Tracking: The Alpha 200 uses data from GPS (the U.S. Global Positioning System) and Galileo (the European Union's version of GPS) satellites to pinpoint the location of each dog. The GPS data is transmitted via radio frequencies from the dog collar devices to the handheld device. Having access to multiple global navigation systems provides much greater accuracy than using GPS only.
Display and Maps: The Alpha 200 has a 1.8"W x 3"H (3.5" diagonal) color touchscreen display with a resolution of 282 x 470 pixels. The preloaded detailed TopoActive maps provide detailed views of terrain contours, topographic elevations, summits, parks, coastlines, rivers, lakes, and geographical points. The device also has loaded Public Land boundaries on the topo maps so you'll know where you're supposed to be. The Alpha 200 has a built-in 16 GB memory, and a slot for a microSD memory card for additional storage or pre-loaded maps, such as TOPO 24K and HuntViewPlus (sold separately by Garmin).
BirdsEye Satellite Images: BirdsEye Satellite Imagery provides an extra set of eyes at the surrounding terrain by providing overhead images of your route, your location, trailheads, clearings, and much more. You can download BirdsEye images directly to your device when it is connected to a Wi-Fi network. The file size depends upon the image quality and the radius of the area you select.
Tracking: The Alpha 200 works with the TT 15, TT 15 Mini, T 5, and T 5 Mini Dog Devices. Up to 20 Dog Devices can be paired with the handheld unit at once. You can maintain a full list of your dogs, keeping inactive dogs on your list until you need to recall them for the next hunt. After pairing each dog's collar device with the Alpha 200, you can track your dogs on the map. Each dog is displayed on the map with an icon showing their current status: sitting, running, on point, treed, or unknown. You can also view the direction and distance to your dog on the tracking compass display. The Alpha 200 can alert you when your dog enters or exits an invisible boundary you have set up (Geofence Alert), or when your dog gets within or outside of a certain distance away from you (Radius Alert).
Note: Tracking range is 9 miles for the TT 15 and T 5 dog devices, and 4 miles for the TT 15 Mini and T 5 Mini.
Training: The Alpha 200 and your chosen Dog Devices can be used to effectively train your dog. Before attempting to train your dog with the Alpha system, you should thoroughly research the training methods that are best suited for you, your dog, and your training goals. The Alpha 200 offers three training methods, which can be applied using separate buttons on the handheld display:
- Tone: The Alpha 200 activates an audible tone on the Dog Device that can be used as either a positive or negative training cue.
- Vibration: The Dog Device vibrates each time you press the training key, to provide a cue to your dog. The maximum vibration is 8 seconds.
- Stimulation: Using the collar's contact points, the Dog Device delivers corrective electrical stimulation, either brief momentary stimulation, or continuous stimulation up to 8 seconds. You can use linear or traditional stimulation in your training. Linear stimulation lets you use progressive stimulation from level 1 to 18. Traditional stimulation lets you make quick changes using low, medium, or high settings within predetermined stimulation levels (1 through 6).
Contact Tracking: The Alpha 200 can also be used to track other hunters (using other Alpha devices) and to make contact or send messages to them. Each additional Alpha device must be added as a contact to your handheld device. When additional devices are paired to the Alpha 200, you can send Emergency Alerts, send Preset Messages, and track your contacts. The Alpha 200 system can also mark your truck's location while you're hunting so you can navigate your way back.
Other Compatible Devices: With the Garmin Explore app on your iOS (13.0 or later) or Android smartphone, you can see real-time dog tracking information, save collections of dog tracks, and replay tracks to see exactly what happened during the hunt. If you're using a vehicle to follow and retrieve your dogs, you can use the Garmin Tread off-road powersport navigator, the Garmin DriveTrack 71 car navigator, or a Garmin Montana 700-series (750i, 700i, or 700) handheld device (each sold separately).
Power Options: The Alpha 200 is powered by a user-replaceable 3.7-volt 1960mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The battery charges inside the handheld device in approximately 2 hours using the supplied USB power adapter. A fully charged battery provides up to 20 hours of tracking time.