About the Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar
Long life for long runs and more
Long life for long runs and more
Garmin's Forerunner 955 Solar takes the performance of the Forerunner 955 to another level by tapping into the power of the sun. Thanks to the Power Glass™ charging lens on this model, you'll feed power to the watch's battery whenever you're outside in the sun. With that boost, you can expect up to 20 days of smartwatch operation. Enough for both long runs and long expeditions.
The Power Glass lens helps keep your battery charged
A watch that supports your aspirations
Forerunner 955 Solar employs state-of-the-art technology to turn the data it collects from your heart rate measurements and your activities into insights and info you can use:
- Training readiness lets you know when it's time to go hard, or it's time to take it back a notch.
- Morning Report provides a daily workout suggestion, plus the day's weather and a sleep report.
- HRV status measures Heart Rate Variability while you sleep — a key measure of your overall wellness.
- Race Widget collects all your race prep info in one place, including race predictions, race day weather, and more.
- Real-time stamina measurements help you hit the right pace to go the distance efficiently.
- Daily Workouts lets you view a week of suggested workouts that continuously adapt to your fitness level.
And by using the Garmin Connect app, you'll have access to free training plans, or the ability to create your own.
On the run
Forerunner 955 Solar handles all your run training with ease, providing accurate measurements of time, distance, elevation change, pace, and more. Thanks to its multi-band satellite capabilities it offers superior accuracy, and its built-in maps mean that you'll always know how to get back even on the longest runs. Add an optional Running Dynamics Pod or external heart rate strap, and the watch will help you with your running form by measuring metrics like run power, stride length, and vertical oscillation — helping you become a more efficient runner.
Tunes to go
Now you can skip the hassle of toting your smartphone or music player with you when you're on the road, trail, or treadmill. This watch features built-in storage for up to 1000 songs, so you can plug into your computer, download your favorites, then listen through Bluetooth® headphones (not included). Forerunner 955 Solar also supports select streaming services like Spotify as well.
Smart notifications and more
Forerunner 955 Solar works with your smartphone to let you receive texts, emails, and alerts on your watch screen. And your workouts upload automatically to Garmin Connect, where you can share them with your friends through social media or many popular fitness-tracking apps. And when your workout is done, you can use Garmin Pay™ to buy food and beverages, so you can leave your wallet at home.
Plus, you customize the display with Garmin's Face-it™ app, changing the background to any picture stored on your smartphone. And if you like capturing the action, it even works as a remote control for Garmin's VIRB™ and VIRB Elite action cameras.
Enjoy the ride
Forerunner 955 Solar is a perfect cycling buddy, whether your choice of venue is single-track or smooth asphalt. It will accurately measure your speed, distance, and pace, and it's fully compatible with Garmin's Vector™ pedals or ANT+ power meters, so you can track and record your power output throughout your ride. This watch is also compatible with Garmin's Varia™ lights and rear-view radar systems for extra safety.
Even more activities
Need more? When you head out onto the trails, you can rely on the preloaded maps and breadcrumb tracking to help you stay on course. The watch also comes equipped with an altimeter, barometer, and compass, giving you valuable information you may need in the backcountry. Hitting the links? Forerunner 955 Solar taps into an extensive database of golf courses to let you know accurate distances to the green, doglegs, or layup points. And that hard workout at the gym is covered as well, with multiple options to record indoor activities.
- GPS running watch with color illuminated touchscreen display
- Power Glass solar charging lens
- GPS/GLONASS/Galileo/BeiDou multi-band satellite tracking
- wrist-based heart rate measurement
- 1.3" LCD display (260 x 260 pixels)
- built-in music player for stored music files and streaming services
- stores up to 1000 songs
- supports Pandora, Spotify, and Deezer
- Pulse Ox measurement
- time/date, alarm, timer, chimes, and vibration watch functions
Run and training features:
- GPS speed and distance, AutoLap, AutoPause, interval trainer, heart rate, calorie counter, and cadence
- HRV status tracks heart rate variability while you sleep
- Morning Report gives you info on sleep and suggests daily workouts
- view suggested weekly workouts with daily workout feature
- training readiness and training status features
- Race Widget offers race-specific guidance and predictions
- VO2 max estimation
- recovery advisor
- real-time stamina tracks your exertion levels
- race predictor
- Running Power measurements when used with running dynamic accessories
- personal record logging
- heat and altitude acclimation
- training load focus
- compatible with Garmin Connect, Strava, and popular training apps
- compatible with Garmin Pay
- text and email smart notifications
- smartphone music control
- incident detection
- downloadable watch faces, data fields, widgets, and apps
- compatible with Garmin Vector pedals and Varia lights
- speed and cadence sensor support
- course creator
- Strava segments
Multisport and Outdoor Activity Features:
- pool swimming lap counter and stroke recognition
- built-in topographic maps, with option to load additional maps
- point to point, breadcrumb, and TracBack GPS navigation
- built-in compass, altimeter, and thermometer
- Garmin golf features
- over 30 activity profiles for strength, cardio, indoor rowing, yoga, and more
Activity Tracking Features:
- step counter with auto goal setter
- floor climb counter
- move bar
- sleep monitoring
- dimensions: 1.83"W x 1.83"H x .57"D
- fits wrists from 5.1" to 8.66" in circumference
- 5 ATM water rating
- battery life:
- up to 15 days in Smartwatch mode
- up to 10 hours in GPS mode (with music)
- up to 42 hours in GPS mode (without music)
- weight: 1.87 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02638-00
What's in the box:
- GPS sports watch (Black) with black 22mm silicone band
- Spare watchband loop
- 21" USB charging/data cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety and Product Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar
Overview: The Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar is a lightweight running and multi-sport watch with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver. It can accurately records the distance, time, speed, and location of your runs, or analyzes your swim, ski runs, or rounds of golf. It keeps track of your personal records, and lets you know when you have set new ones. The Forerunner 955 Solar provides constant feedback, including the distance traveled, elapsed time, pace, lap time, and speed. The built-in barometer, altimeter, and electronic compass let you keep your bearings when your activities take you off the beaten path. While you work out, you can listen to your favorite music downloaded to your Forerunner 955 Solar. With Garmin's Elevate heart rate technology, you can continuously monitor your heart rate. After your run, you can upload your results to the Garmin Connect online community. The dimensions are:
- Watch: Width 1.897", Height 2.104", Depth 0.615"
- Watch Band: Width 0.852" (22mm), Length 10" (including buckle)
- Fits Wrists: with a circumference of 5-1/8" to 8-5/8"
- Weight: 1.85 ounces
Solar Charging: The Forerunner 955 Solar uses the sun to help charge the built-in battery. With the Power Glass™ solar charging lens, the watch utilizes direct sunlight to extend the battery life over USB charging only. While wearing the watch, you should avoid covering the watch face with your sleeve. The specifications on solar charging assume at least 3 hours a day outside in 50,000 lux conditions. Battery life specs can be found below.
Color LCD: The Forerunner 955 Solar features a 1.3" diameter color LCD screen with a resolution of 260 x 260 pixels. The display has a backlight timer that can be adjusted to a preferred time period or to stay on. The backlight can be turned on manually, or with the touch of a key or when you receive an alert. The LCD is protected by a chemically-strengthened Corning Gorilla Glass DX lens with built-in Power Glass for solar charging.
Interchangeable Watch Bands: The Forerunner 955 Solar comes with Garmin's standard 22mm silicone strap. Dozens of optional interchangeable straps are available directly from Garmin in silicone, leather, metal, and titanium.
Elevate™: On the back of the Forerunner 955 Solar is an optical sensor with Garmin's Elevate™ heart rate technology that shines light onto your skin and measures the amount of light returned. The sensor detects slight changes on your skin as your heart pumps blood and determines your heart rate using a sophisticated algorithm. The back of the watch has a light seal to block out ambient light for accurate results. You can broadcast your heart rate data to other Garmin devices, such as an Edge cycling computer or a VIRB action camera.
Water Resistant: The Forerunner 955 Solar has a 5 ATM water rating, which means it is resistant to moderate moisture contact. Not only can you run in the rain and wet weather, you can even swim or shower while wearing the device. The device also has a wide operating temperature range of -4° to 140°F.
Heart Rate Zones: Heart Rate Zones are used by many athletes to indicate the level of activity, and to measure their cardiovascular strength. You can let the Forerunner 955 Solar set your heart rate zones based on your user profile, or manually enter heart rate values and ranges for each zone. The heart rate zones are expressed as a percentage of your maximum heart rate, and are expressed on the device's display: Zone 1 (50-60%), Zone 2 (60-70%), Zone 3 (70-80%), Zone 4 (80-90%) or Zone 5 (90-100%).
Advanced Monitoring: The Forerunner 955 Solar continually monitors certain advanced performance measurements to help you track your training and race performances. These measurements include:
- VO2 Max: the maximum volume of oxygen you can consume per minute (in milliliters), based on your body weight (in kilograms), and at your maximum performance. The values are expressed as a number, description, and position on the color gauge: Poor 0-40% (Red), Fair 40% (Orange), Good 60% (Green), Excellent 80% (Blue), and Superior 95% (Purple).
- Predicted Race Times: Using the VO2 max estimate, and your training history, the device provides a target race time, based on your current state of fitness.
- HRV Stress Test: The device records your HRV (heart rate variability) while you are sleeping. It provides your overall stress level, based on a scale of 1 (low) to 100 (high).
- Performance Condition: Performance condition is a real-time assessment after 6 to 20 minutes of activity. It compares your real-time condition to your average fitness level.
- Functional Threshold Power (FTP): The device uses your user profile information from the initial setup to estimate your FTP. To get a more accurate rating, a guided test is required. The FTP estimate apears as a value, measured in watts per kilogram, your power output in watts, and a position on the color gauge: Superior (purple), Excellent (blue), Good (green), Fair (orange), and Untrained (red).
- Lactate Threshold: This test requires a Garmin chest heart rate monitor. Your lactate threshold is the point where your muscles start to rapidly fatigue. The device measures your lactate threshold level using heart rate data and pace.
- Training Effect: Training Effect measures the impact of an activity on your aerobic and anaerobic fitness. Training Effect accumulates during the activity and the value increases. The value is expressed in a number between 0 and 5:
- From 0 to 0.9: No benefit to your aerobic or anaerobic fitness.
- From 1.0 to 1.9: Minor benefit
- From 2.0 to 2.9: Maintains your aerobic or anaerobic fitness
- From 3.0 to 3.9: Impacts your aerobic or anaerobic fitness
- From 4.0 to 4.9: Highly impacts your aerobic or anaerobic fitness
- 5.0: Overreaching and potentially harmful without enough recovery time
Running Dynamics: The Forerunner device, when paired with the optional HRM-Pro heart rate monitor or other running dynamics accessory, can help analyze your running form. The accelerometer in the accessory can measure torso movement and calculate the following running metrics: Cadence (number of steps per minute), Vertical Oscillation (your bounce when running), Ground Contact Time (amount of time you spend on the ground while running), Ground Contact Time Balance (left-right balance of your ground contact time), Stride Length (measured from one footfall to the next), and Vertical Ratio (ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length). You can view your running metrics as a color gauge on the display, showing you how your running data compares to those of other runners.
Golf Features: Wearing the Forerunner 955 Solar while playing golf gives you access to many features to help enhance your game. The device is preloaded with maps of over 42,000 golf courses worldwide. For each hole, the device displays the hole number, par for the hole, and distances to the front, middle, and back of the green, as well as the yardage to layups and doglegs. You can move the flag to the precise pin placement for the day in order to show accurate distances. After you play the hole you can enter your score on the digital scorecard. With the Garmin Golf app loaded on your smartphone, you can upload scorecards to the app. The built-in odometer can record the time, distance, and steps you travel as you play.
Swimming Metrics: You can wear the Forerunner 955 Solar while swimming in a pool or in open water. It is not intended for use while scuba diving. The wrist-based heart rate is enabled for swim activities. The watch is also compatible with the optional HRM-Pro, HRM-Swim, and HRM-Tri chest-worn heart rate devices. When both wrist-based and chest-worn HRM devices are available, the watch will use the chest-worn data. In open water, the device records swim data including distance, pace, and stroke rate. For pool swimming, the watch measures and records distance by completed pool lengths. (You must enter the correct pool size before starting your activity.
Sleep Tracking: While you sleep, the Forerunner 955 Solar automatically detects your sleep and monitors your movement during normal sleeping hours. Sleep statistics include total hours of sleep, sleep stages, sleep movement, and an overall sleep score. You can view your sleep statistics in your Garmin Connect account.
Women's Health Features: The Forerunner 955 Solar has additional features specifically for women's health. Using the fitness watch and the Garmin Connect app, you can track your menstrual cycle or pregnancy. The app lets you log symptoms, and provide exercise and nutrition education, and view the details on your wrist.
High-Sensitivity GPS Receiver: The unit features a high-sensitivity GPS receiver which will stay locked onto satellites, even near tall buildings or under tree cover. By default, the device uses the U.S. Global Positioning System (GPS) to locate overhead satellites. When you're in locations with poor sky visibility, you can use a combination of GPS and GLONASS (Russian satellite system), or GPS and Galileo (European Union satellite system) to obtain a more accurate position. Using GPS and another satellite system together will reduce battery life more quickly than using GPS alone.
Accelerometer: The built-in accelerometer can accurately calculate your speed and distance when running indoors or on a treadmill, when the GPS can't be used. The accelerometer is self-calibrating, and the speed and distance accuracy improves after a few outdoor runs using GPS.
Music: The Forerunner 955 Solar has dedicated a portion of its 32 GB built-in memory for music storage, enough for approximately 2000 songs. Music storage and playback enables you to download audio content to the device from your computer, or a 3rd party provider (such as Spotify or Deezer) so you can listen while you work out and your smartphone is not nearby. You can also control music stored on your connected smartphone using the fitness watch. In order to listen to the content, you must connect your device to Bluetooth headphones. Playback controls, such as volume, play, pause, skip forward, skip backward, repeat, and shuffle, are built into the Forerunner 955 Solar.
Rechargeable Battery: The Forerunner 955 Solar has a built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. A 21" data/charging cradle is provided for charging the battery and uploading your training data. It takes approximately 2 hours to fully charge a depleted battery. The estimated battery life is as follows:
|Mode||GPS Systems||Enabled Features||Battery Life|
|(no GPS)||(none)||Up to 15 days |
20 days w/solar
|Activity Tracking||GPS only||Wrist-based Heart Rate||Up to 42 hours |
49 hrs w/solar
| Wrist-based Heart Rate + |
|Up to 10.5 hours|
|Activity Tracking||All Systems||Wrist-based Heart Rate||Up to 31 hours |
34 hrs w/solar
|Wrist-based Heart Rate + Music Playback||Up to 10 hours|
|Activity Tracking||All + Multi-Band||Wrist-based Heart Rate||Up to 20 hours |
22 hrs w/solar
Wrist-based Heart Rate + Music Playback
|Up to 8.5 hours|
|Activity Tracking||UltraTrac||Wrist-based Heart Rate|| Up to 80 hours |
110 hrs w/solar
Bluetooth Connected Features: The Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar features Bluetooth Smart wireless technology that allows you to pair the device to your smartphone or mobile device through the Garmin Connect Mobile app. When connected via Bluetooth, you can do the following: Phone notifications, LiveTrack, GroupTrack, software updates, workout and course downloads, Connect IQ, social media interactions, weather updates, music controls, audio prompts, Find My Phone, and Find My Watch.
Locating A Lost Phone/Watch: The Forerunner 955 Solar can help you locate your phone if it is still paired and currently within range. As you search, the Find My Phone widget will display the Bluetooth signal strength and sound an audible alert to help you find your phone. Similarly, you can find your lost Forerunner using your phone when they are paired and within range.
Wi-Fi Features: In addition to Bluetooth, you can connect the Forerunner 955 Solar to the internet via Wi-Fi. While connected, you can perform software updates, upload activity data to your Garmin Connect account, and search for and select workout and training plans to send to your device.
Connect IQ: Through Garmin's Connect IQ site, you can customize your Forerunner with watch faces, data fields, widgets, and apps. You can download Connect IQ features to your device when paired with your smartphone (Bluetooth) or connected to your computer (USB cable).
History: The Forerunner 955 Solar has a small amount of memory for saving activity data. Your history displays the date, time of day, distance, run time, calories, average pace or speed, and heart rate zone data. When the memory is full, your oldest data is overwritten. History is not recorded while the timer is stopped or paused.
Watch Functions: When you're not working out, the Forerunner 955 Solar can be used as a basic watch, displaying the time and date, along with an alarm, timer, and a stopwatch. The time is automatically set by the GPS receiver (or manually, if desired), and can be displayed in 12-hour or 24-hour format. You can download pre-loaded watch faces or create a customized watch face on the Garmin Connect IQ store.
Garmin Pay: The Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar features the Garmin Pay contactless payment solution. Garmin Pay lets you pay for purchases quickly without your wallet or phone. It works almost anywhere you can make contactless payments. All you have to do is enter your passcode, select the credit card you want to use from your virtual wallet, and hold your wrist near the card reader. Your card number is not stored on your device, or passed to merchants when you pay, so it's private and secure. Garmin Pay works with many major credit and debit cards from major banks, including Visa and MasterCard.