About the Garmin Approach® G80
A handheld that helps with distance and your swing
A handheld that helps with distance and your swing
Michael Douglas' character in the movie Falling Down didn't have much use for golf courses, but he also didn't have the Garmin Approach G80 golf handheld GPS device at his disposal. This compact companion delivers accurate course shapes and layouts on a 3.5" full-color touch display with plenty of information to help you plan your strategy. It also packs a built-in launch monitor with radar technology which measures your shots with precision so you can develop your swing at the range and show off the results at the country club. And with over 41,000 preloaded international courses at your disposal, you can take Garmin's expert guidance with you just about anywhere.
Small but mighty
The handheld's built-in GPS receiver finds you automatically and stays dialed in to your location. And you can take this Garmin near water hazards without fear as it's waterproof up to one meter. When you're stuck behind a particularly slow-moving foursome, you don't want your device to run out of juice before you do. The Approach G80's built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 15 hours of power out on the links. It includes an odometer to count your steps and a round timer.
The Approach G80's launch monitor uses radar technology to track club head speed, ball speed, smash factor, swing tempo and estimated distance. Simply turn on the radar, place the Approach on the ground near the tee, and it'll do the rest. Tempo training helps get your backswing and downswing times correct, while virtual rounds let you simulate play on any of the device's 41,000 preloaded courses. Looking for accuracy and consistency? Pull up target practice for drives, short shots, or all-around performance. You can challenge yourself or a friend on the driving range.
The launch monitor measures shot distance as well, so you can track your ball on the full-color course maps and choose your next club with confidence.
See it all on a 3.5" touch display
The Green View display shows you the true shape and layout of the green, even if you're behind it. You can manually reposition the pin to today's location to enhance your shot's accuracy. One glance offers you a wealth of information with clear, easy-to-read numbering. Touch-targeting on the display gives you the distance to any point, and the Approach will even save locations for you. Garmin's extensive course database comes already loaded on the Approach G80, so you won't need any subscriptions or additional downloads to enjoy it. Simply charge it up, throw on your soft spikes, and you're ready to go
Big Numbers Mode
Nobody wants to squint to see how far it is to the next hole, so Garmin's Big Numbers Mode makes the Approach G80 easier on your eyes. It'll show you distances to the front, middle, and back of the green in large, easy-to-see type.
Smart Notification for smartphone users
If you're worried about missing important texts, calls, alerts, and emails on the course, you can pair the Approach G80 with most recent iPhone® models through Bluetooth® low energy, then receive notifications directly on the device's screen, so you can safely leave your phone in your bag.
Manage your stats and scoring
The Approach G80 lets you track your putts per round, greens and fairways hit, and average distance of your strokes. It also offers digital scorecard options for individual players, including Stroke Play and Stableford. It even gives you options for handicap scoring for individual players. You can save, review, and print scorecards from your computer.
Compatible with Garmin TruSwing™
If you want even more help with your swing, the Approach G80 works with Garmin's TruSwing sensor to provide detailed metrics that'll help you make your swing consistent and accurate. You'll get feedback on crucial components of your movements to keep you on target, including 3-D animations when using the Garmin Connect online platform.
Go deeper with the free Garmin Golf and Connect apps
For an even more thorough statistical analysis, the Golf and Connect smartphone apps from Garmin keep track of your performance over time in a number of ways, so you can pull up past games on your phone and see where you need more work and where you're improving. The Golf app covers accuracy to the fairway or green and for drives, approach shots, chip shots and putting, and allows you to set baselines to see how you're faring relative to other players in your group. You can share your stats and results with other users locally and around the world with the Garmin Connect app, and it'll enable automatic course updates for your favorite spots to the Approach G80 when the devices are paired.
- handheld golf GPS assistant with integrated radar launch monitor
- package includes USB cable, trolley/cart mount, and lanyard carabiner
- 3.5" color TFT touchscreen display (282 x 470 pixels)
- preloaded with over 41,000 courses worldwide
- allows free course updates from Garmin website
- USB input
- waterproof in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes
- built-in rechargeable battery allows up to 15 hours of use
- launch monitor: built-in radar tracks club head speed, ball speed, smash factor, swing tempo and estimated distance
- warmup mode, target practice mode, virtual rounds
- Smart Notification of incoming smartphone texts, calls, emails, and alerts (iPhone only)
- touch-targeting gives precise distance to any point on display
- Green View with manual pin positioning shows true shape and layout of green
- Big Numbers Mode makes distances easier to read
- odometer, digital scorecard, stat tracker, and round timer
- compatible with free Garmin Golf and Connect apps
- compatible with Garmin TruSwing sensor
- dimensions: 2-3/8"W x 4-9/16"H x 11/16"D
- weight:4.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01914-00
What's in the box:
- Golf GPS handheld device
- Trolley/cart mount
- 20" Micro USB data/charging cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Carabiner clip
- 2" Lanyard
- 2 Plastic bar mounts
- 2 Rubber disks
- 4 Large O-rings
- 4 Small O-rings
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
- Notice regarding EPDM replacement
Garmin Approach® G80 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Approach® G80
Overview: The Garmin Approach G80 is a lightweight, handheld golf GPS unit with over 41,000 pre-loaded worldwide golf course maps. The Approach G80 uses a high-sensitivity GPS receiver to measure individual shot distances and show the exact yardage to fairways, hazards, and greens. No subscriptions or setup fees are required. Approach G80 is compliant with USGA rules. For convenience, the unit is waterproof, and comes with a trolley/golf cart mount. Dimensions: Width 2.336" Height 4.511, Depth 0.65"; Weight: 4.3 ounces.
Display: The Approach G80 has a 3.5" (diagonally measured) transflective color TFT touchscreen display with a resolution of 282 x 470 pixels.
Included Maps: The Approach G80 has detailed color maps of over 41,000 select golf courses worldwide. Maps of new golf courses, and updates to existing courses are available through a free download of the Approach CourseView database on the Garmin website (Windows and Mac compatible). You can search for courses by Name, City, or Near Your Location, and preview the course hole-by-hole with closeup views of the green. The currently installed maps include:
- CourseView Americas: 5.60
- CourseView Europe, Middle East & Africa: 5.20
- CourseView Pacific: 4.70
Water Resistance: The G80 has an IPX7 rating, which means that the case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
Play Mode: As you play, the Approach G80 automatically updates your position, giving you the exact yardage to the center of the green, or to any point on the map that you touch. You can use Touch Targeting to measure the distance to a point in the fairway, such as a landing zone, and the distance from that point to the green. The Green View is a detailed view of the green that allows you to set a more accurate pin position by dragging the flag to its location.
Launch Monitor: The Approach G80 is equipped with built-in radar that helps analyze your swing. To set up the Launch Monitor feature, you will need to place the device on the ground within 1 foot of the ball. Resting the device on a golf ball (using the divot on the back panel) provides a better viewing angle. You can use the radar for the following features:
- Warm Up: Each time you take a swing, the radar measures your swing and provides swing metrics (estimated carry, with or without estimated roll), including club head speed, ball speed, smash factor (ball speed divided by the club head speed), and swing tempo (backswing time divided by the downswing time, expressed in a ratio).
- Tempo Training: The G80 measures and displays your backswing time and downswing time, and calculates your swing tempo. Based on studies on professional golfers, the ideal swing tempo is 3:1 or 3.0. During tempo training, the device continuously plays audible tones in groups of three to indicate (1) when you should start your backswing, (2) when you should start your downswing, and (3) when you should strike the ball. Practicing your swing with the tones helps you develop the ideal swing tempo. You can adjust the tempo up or down until you find a timing that is comfortable.
- Target Practice: To help you hit the ball at target distances, this feature lets you take up to 5 swings at a specific distance. The device calculates your shot distance and awards points based on how close your shot is to the target. You can play alone, or with multiple players.
- Virtual Round: During a virtual round, the device calculates your score using a method similar to stroke play. Each shot you take counts as one stroke. Hitting the ball in the water adds a penalty stroke. Because there is no putting during a virtual round, you can earn additional strokes (up to 3) based on the accuracy of your approach shots. In addition to playing virtual rounds, you can participate in virtual tournaments against other golfers around the world.
Map Features: While in play or preview mode, the map screen shows the hole number, par for the hole, distance to the middle of the green (from your current position), and layup arcs showing 250, 200, 150, and 100 yards to the pin. You can enable the Big Numbers display, which provides in a large font the distances to the rear and front of the green and to the pin position. Touch Targeting lets you measure the distance to any point on the map from your current location.
Measuring a Shot: The Approach G80 can measure the distance of a particular shot. After marking the spot where the shot originated and the spot where the ball ended up, the distance between the spots is calculated.
Digital Scorecard: The Approach G80 doubles as a digital scorecard for up to four players. You can set the scorecard for normal stroke play, Stableford, Match Play, or Skins. Every scorecard recorded on the device can be viewed on your computer (connected via the supplied USB cable), and printed, if desired. The default hole handicap is displayed, if available. If you want to change it, or if it is incorrect, you can set the hole handicap manually.
Handicap Scoring: You can set a handicap for the hole and for each player. You can select from two options for setting a player's handicap: Local Handicap (enter the number of strokes that will be subtracted from the player's total score) or Index/Slope Rating (enter the player's handicap and the course slope rating) to calculate a course handicap for the player.
Tracking Statistics: The Approach G80 has an enhanced stat tracking feature that keeps up with important stats, such as number of fairways hit, greens in regulation, and putts per round. When reviewing your round, you can see the number of putts per hole, the clubs used, distances hit, fairways hit and missed to the left or right, time of play, and distance traveled.
TruSwing: The optional Garmin TruSwing golf swing sensor mounts to your club, and pairs to the Approach G80 via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). TruSwing provides swing metrics to see how your mechanics affect ball flight and shot results. It measures your swing tempo and speed, face to target, dynamic loft, shaft angle, club path and coordinates, and shaft lean. After your shot, the swing measurements are displayed on the G80 so you can instantly analyze the shot.
Garmin Golf App: You can keep track of your golf game using the Garmin Golf app. You can upload all of the stats from the Approach G80 and analyze them over time. You can share your scorecards with friends, and compare your rounds to other people you've played against. You can also view your longest shots, average score, average putts, average score by par, overall fairways hit and greens in regulation. The app is compatible with iOS (iOS 9.0 or later) and Android devices (version varies with device).
Power Requirements: The Approach G80 operates on a built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. A fully charged battery lasts for up 15 hours. The unit has a Micro USB port for connecting to the supplied cable to charge the battery on your computer or other USB charging adapter. You can connect the device to your computer for downloading course and firmware updates, and uploading scorecards.
Device Holder: The Approach G80 includes a device holder that lets you mount the unit to a golf cart for easy viewing and quick removal. The mount can be installed on any bar that is between 3/4" to 1-1/2" in diameter. The holder includes a short lanyard and a carabiner clip for wearing the device on your belt loop or attaching to your bag.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?