About the Garmin Approach® S6
An advanced digital caddy on your wrist
An advanced digital caddy on your wrist
Garmin's Approach S6 golf GPS watch brings much more to the table than a high-resolution, glove-friendly touchscreen with a glorious color display. It tracks your swing and offers tools for improvement, so you can play with more consistency. And of course you get accurate course shapes and layouts, plus the ability to map pin locations with your fingertip. It'll also help you track your stats and keep you abreast of incoming texts and emails. And you can tee up nearly anywhere around the globe with the S6's 38,000-plus preloaded international courses at your disposal.
Thin, stylish, and reliable
The Approach S6 is Garmin's slimmest and lightest golf watch yet, measuring a hair over a half-inch thick. Its waterproof construction lets you enjoy it in rough weather and around pools, lakes, and rivers. You get an odometer to track how far you've walked and a round timer to monitor how long it takes to get through 18 holes. Got an early tee time? Put the watch's alarm clock feature to work for you.
Juice for those extended rounds
The watch's built-in GPS receiver finds you automatically and stays dialed in to your location, even while you're under trees and heavy cover. When you're having a long day on the course, you don't want your device to call it quits before you do. The Approach S6's built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 10 hours of life in GPS mode, or 20 weeks as a regular watch.
Dial in your swing
You can make the Approach S6 your secret weapon on the links by utilizing its built-in swing assistants:
- TempoTraining: The watch emits audible tones as you begin your swing — use the tones to synchronize your swing mechanics in the optimal 3:1 swing ratio (your backswing should take 3 times longer than your downswing) and get your swing tempo down pat.
- SwingTempo: The watch calculates the relationship between your backswing (also called upswing) and downswing and displays the results as a ratio.
- SwingStrength: The watch measures how hard you swing your clubs so you can work on consistent delivery for your shots.
Courseview button at your service
Don't waste time scrolling through the menus — just tap the Approach S6's dedicated Courseview button, and you're right there. You'll see the true shape and layout of the entire hole from wherever you are on the course, including tee box, fairway, and green.
Garmin's highly regarded Green View display is also available with a finger tap from the Courseview screen, giving you an accurate view of the green — even if you're behind it or have an obstructed view. You can even touch and drag the pin to the day's location to make things easier on those difficult par 3 holes.
Verify your distance
The Approach S6 gives you distances to the front, back, and center of the green, plus distances to doglegs and layups. You can even add and save customizable yardages for bunkers and hazards from anywhere on the course. One glance at your wrist offers you a wealth of information with clear, easy-to-read numbering.
Touch-targeting lets you quickly determine how far it is to any point on the green. Getting ready for a layup? You'll see distance arcs on the S6's screen at 50-yard increments to help you decide your next shot. Green View lets you target the pin more accurately and gives you exact measurements when you're ready to putt.
Swinging blind? PinPointer can help
The Approach S6's PinPointer comes in especially handy when you're way off course. It lets you know exactly where the pin is, even when you can't see it. You can tee off with confidence, even when deep in a trap or the woods.
Manage your stats and scoring
Want to analyze your game for future improvement? The Approach S6 lets you track your putts per round, greens and fairways hit, and average distance of your strokes. It also offers digital scorecard options for individual players, including Stroke Play and Stableford. It even gives you options for handicap scoring for individual holes, player's local handicap, or index/slope methods. You can save, review, and print scorecards from your computer. Use the Measure Shot feature to tell you exactly how far the ball went next time you hit a really big one.
Stay current with important messages
If you're worried about missing urgent texts, calls, alerts, and emails on the course, Garmin's got you covered. You can pair the Approach S6 with your compatible Android™ smartphone or iPhone® (4S or newer) and receive notifications directly on the watch's face. Leave your phone in your bag and concentrate on the task at hand.
Go online for bragging rights and more
Garmin Connect lets you upload scorecards and club data to a personalized account online for comprehensive analysis and sharing with friends. You can view your overall stats, stats from one round, or stats on one course. Your friends with Garmin Connect accounts can check out your scores and you can track their progress as well.
Ready to hit the links
Garmin's extensive course database comes already loaded on the Approach S6, so you won't need any subscriptions or additional downloads to enjoy it. Simply charge it up, throw on your polo shirt, and you're good to go. You can obtain new course update downloads directly from Garmin's website.
- dark (black/white) golf GPS watch with touchscreen display
- USB charging/data cradle included
- 1" color TFT touchscreen display (180 x 180 pixels)
- preloaded with over 38,000 courses worldwide
- allows free course updates from Garmin website
- waterproof up to 50 meters
- built-in rechargeable battery allows up to 20 weeks of use in watch mode and 10 hours in GPS mode
- Smart Notification of incoming smartphone texts, calls, emails, and alerts
- swing and tempo improvement tools: TempoTraining, SwingTempo, and SwingStrength
- dedicated Courseview button
- touch-targeting gives precise distance to any point on display
- PinPointer shows exact direction of pin from anywhere
- digital scorecard with handicap scoring and stat tracker
- 1-13/16"W (7/8" band), with 9-3/4" strap
- weight: 1.6 oz. (with battery)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01195-01
What's in the box:
- Golf GPS watch (black)
- Snap-on charging cradle with attached 42" cable (Type A USB plug)
- Owner's Manual (6 versions including English)
- Important Safety and Product Information
Garmin Approach® S6 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Approach® S6
Overview: The Garmin Approach S6 is a wrist-worn golf GPS unit combined with a lightweight sports watch. Its memory is loaded with distance information for more than 38,000 pre-loaded golf courses worldwide. The S6 uses a high-sensitivity GPS receiver to measure individual shot distances and track how far you walk on the course. It also helps you analyze your swing and trains you how to take a more consistent swing. No subscriptions or setup fees are required. The Approach S6 is compliant with USGA rules.
Display: The Approach S6 has a 1" diameter high-resolution color touchscreen LCD with a resolution of 180 x 180 pixels. The display's Course View gives you full-color hole-by-hole details, even before you play them. You can see where the hazards are, the direction of the doglegs, and the shapes of the greens from wherever you are. The PinPointer is a compass that provides directional assistance by pointing to the pin location, even when you can't see the green. The Hole Information pages indicate the number of the hole being played, the distance to the back, center, and front of the green, and the par for the hole. Another page gives you layup and dogleg distances on par 4 and par 5 holes. As you play, you can enter your score for each hole. On-screen icons display a low battery warning, GPS use, Bluetooth status, and alarm active indication.
Included Maps: The Approach S6 has CourseView map data loaded into its built-in flash memory. The data contains distance information to the front, back, and center of the greens for more than 38,000 golf courses worldwide. Lifetime free course updates are available from the Garmin website, and can be downloaded from your PC to the Approach S6 using the supplied USB/charging cradle. Installed CourseView maps include:
- CourseView Intermediate Americas 4.30
- CourseView Intermediate Europe, Middle East & Africa 3.90
- CourseView Intermediate Pacific 3.40
Functionality: The Approach S6 initially takes 30-60 seconds to acquire satellite signals and determine your location. As you play, the unit automatically updates your position, giving you the exact yardage to the front, center, and back of the green. Because pin placement varies, you can touch and drag the pin to the day's location. You can also measure the distance of a particular shot. For Par 4 and 5 holes, you can view a list of layup and dogleg distances. During the round, you can save and label up to five locations, such as water hazards or bunkers, on each hole. Distance units can be set to yards or meters.
Digital Scorecard: During your round, you can enter your score by entering + or - the number of strokes over or under par. Your total score (relative to par) is updated as each hole's score is entered. If necessary, you can select any previously played hole to change the score for that hole. You can also record statistics, such as number of putts taken, greens in regulation (GIR), and number of fairways hit, during the round. Before you start the round, you can select Stroke Play or Stableford scoring. (Stableford points are awarded as specified by the USGA.) At the end of your round, you can connect the Approach S6 to your computer to view and save your scorecard.
Touchscreen and Button Controls: The S6 lets you maneuver through the menus and settings by touching the screen. Different than most mobile devices, the touchscreen is designed so you can operate it with your fingertip or while wearing gloves. It is optimized to prevent accidental touches while you play, requiring a firm press to select items or change pages. The unit has four buttons on the sides and two touch-sensitive icons on the perimeter of the face:
- Power/Light Button: for turning on the backlight (single press), and for turning the device on or off (press and hold)
- Measure Button: for measuring the distance of a shot
- Score Button: to enter your score for the hole
- Green View: to view the green with distances to front and back and pin placement
- Menu Icon: to open the menu for the current screen
- Return Icon: return to the previous screen
Training/Swing Analysis: The Garmin Approach S6 has some new features designed to help you play better golf:
- SwingStrength: The SwingStrength feature estimates how hard you swing the club by measuring acceleration and angular rate and comparing that with a known, normal swing. The SwingStrength value represents a percentage of your "full power swing" which is determined through a calibration process. Wearing the Approach S6 on your "leading" wrist, you take a swing using a wood, long iron (6-iron or lower), and a short iron (7-iron or higher). You can use the SwingStrength value to practice your swing to reach a level of consistency. You can also practice taking "less-than-full" swings with particular clubs.
- Tempo Training: The Tempo Training feature helps you develop a more consistent swing by replicating a proper tempo from backswing to downswing. Garmin provides 6 different timings to choose from. The device emits three audible tones that continuously repeat the correct tempo: Tone 1 indicates when you should start your backswing. Tone 2 indicates when you should start your downswing. Tone 3 indicates when you should hit the ball. As you practice, the display shows a graph that indicates if your backswing or downswing times are too fast, too slow, or just right for the selected timing.
TruSwing: The optional Garmin TruSwing golf swing sensor mounts to your club, and pairs to the Approach S6 via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). TruSwing provides swing metrics to see how your mechanics affect ball flight and shot results. It measures your swing tempo and speed, face to target, dynamic loft, shaft angle, club path and coordinates, and shaft lean. After your shot, the swing measurements are displayed on the S6 so you can instantly analyze the shot.
Watch: In addition to its GPS functions, the Approach S6 is a digital watch. By default, the watch time is set automatically when the device acquires satellite signals. You can also set the time manually. The watch also has an alarm, and can display 12-hour or 24-hour time formats.
Odometer: The Approach S6 has a built-in odometer to measure your total time and walking distance as you play the round. The odometer automatically starts and stops when you start or end a round. It can also be started or stopped manually, as well. You can turn the odometer off, if you desire.
Smart Notifications: The S6 can connect wirelessly to your iPhone via Bluetooth 4.0, and will alert you when you receive a text, email, or RSS alert. The S6 utilizes Bluetooth Smart to wirelessly sync with smartphones running the Garmin Connect Mobile App. Smart Notifications let you read texts and emails directly on the Approach S6. Smart Notifications can be received on iPhone 4s, 5, 5c, 5s, 6, 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) running iOS 7.0 and above. Compatible Android phones (running OS 4.3 and above) include HTC One (M7), LG Flex, Sony Xperia Z2, and Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Note 3, S3, S4, S4 Active, and S5.
Note: Garmin's list of compatible devices is dated 12/08/2014. Click here for further updates.
Power Requirements: The Approach S6 operates on a rechargeable Lithium-ion, coin cell battery. In the GPS mode, a fully charged battery should give you up to 10 hours of continuous use as you play golf. The Power Save mode turns off the GPS receiver after a period of inactivity, and displays only the time and date. If you are using the unit continuously as a watch, a fully charged battery should provide up to 20 weeks of battery life. Using the S6 as a watch with Bluetooth notifications, the battery should last approximately 15 hours.
Battery Charging: The unit comes with a snap-on charging cradle/USB cable. You can charge the battery by plugging the cable into your computer's USB port.
Waterproof: The Approach S6 has a 5 ATM water rating, meaning it can withstand a pressure equivalent to a depth of 50 meters. You can wear the watch in the rain with no worries.
2 questions already asked